Sign in to follow this  
princess

Coronavirus

I've also seen some early data that younger women are having the stronger reactions to the vaccines. I'm planning to participate in a research study about menstruation after my 2nd shot - am hearing some really interesting anecdata about menopausal women getting a period after their vaccine!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Fully vaccinated!  Had to do the Six Flags Mass Vax Site here in Maryland.  Pfizer first vax-sore arm, second vax- fatigue first day, joint and muscle ache seond day and fever & slight headache on the third day.  No other side effects.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MissuTam said:

Fully vaccinated!  Had to do the Six Flags Mass Vax Site here in Maryland.  Pfizer first vax-sore arm, second vax- fatigue first day, joint and muscle ache seond day and fever & slight headache on the third day.  No other side effects.  

How was that process at Six Flags? I just saw it on the news the first few days it was open when it was apparently a cluster fu@$ and was causing huge traffic delays and backups. Did it get smoothed out? Glad you are all done and with minimal side effects!

https://www.today.com/health/can-covid-vaccines-impact-periods-experts-discuss-t214499?cid=sm_npd_td_tw_ma

If anyone is interested in a survey about COVID vaccination & menstruation - I saw the tweets within the article and bookmarked so I could do the survey after my 2nd shot. This article gives a little more background, also has link to research study. For anyone who has menstruated ever!

2 hours ago, Hoyaheel said:

https://www.today.com/health/can-covid-vaccines-impact-periods-experts-discuss-t214499?cid=sm_npd_td_tw_ma

If anyone is interested in a survey about COVID vaccination & menstruation - I saw the tweets within the article and bookmarked so I could do the survey after my 2nd shot. This article gives a little more background, also has link to research study. For anyone who has menstruated ever!

I saw this on Twitter too, it’s fascinating just reading the anecdotal evidence people were responding with! 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Wordsworth said:

I saw this on Twitter too, it’s fascinating just reading the anecdotal evidence people were responding with! 

I'll just say that I can identify with the anecdotal evidence in this article.

It will be interesting to see whether there are any significant evidential differences observed between the various vaccines.  I'm especially curious about Moderna, as the recommended interval for the second dose is 28 days from the first.

• Like 2

Yeah, once I started reading the tweets, I got a little concerned about my 2nd shot! I think I'm in perimenopause - still menstruating but it's been different the past couple years - for starters, I'm getting PMS and for 35 years, barely ever had any. It sucks!!! So I've already been paying close attention to my personal changes - now I'm really tracking 😉 And the timing will be interesting for me - my 2nd shot will be the end of the week of my period.....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hoyaheel said:

Yeah, once I started reading the tweets, I got a little concerned about my 2nd shot! I think I'm in perimenopause - still menstruating but it's been different the past couple years - for starters, I'm getting PMS and for 35 years, barely ever had any. It sucks!!! So I've already been paying close attention to my personal changes - now I'm really tracking 😉 And the timing will be interesting for me - my 2nd shot will be the end of the week of my period.....

I started having incredible painful periods in the last year to the point where I throw up sometimes (never even had mild cramps before).  Turns out I have fibroids - I am getting a hysterectomy later this year.  They will leave in ovaries so that I still go thru natural menopause but take everything else.  After the initial shock, I now can't wait to get surgery.  So over this!!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Hoyaheel said:

I’ve been tracking for years and think I’ve hit perimenopause too, last year I noticed I was now having a day or two every month when I would feel incredibly anxious and close to tears for no real reason, and on checking my tracking app it literally always coincided with predicted ovulation. I joked with my husband it was my body’s last ditch panic on realising I was never going to procreate. 😂 

My mum will get her second jag next week! 🥳

• Like 2

Good luck! I know it can be serious surgery - I hope the relief comes after!! My mom had a hysterectomy when she was 33 or 34 so she's no help at all when it comes to what I should expect - and of course, no older women in the family ever talked about it, so I'm on my own figuring it out from a family health perspective. Fortunately my college friends and I have started talking about it (and at least half of us have ordered the book Menopause Manifesto that comes out next month!) so we have that going for us....

• Like 1

We have a dedicated group at work looking at the impacts of having an aging workforce and one of the specific streams they’re considering is the impact of the menopause, so we’ve had some interesting chats as part of that.

One of my uni friends is a decade older than the rest of us and she had a hysterectomy about ten years ago, and is happy to talk about that.

Hopefully the tide is changing with people being willing to discuss these things! 

• Like 1

Add me to the list. I actually went to the doctor last month because everything has been so out of whack. I looked at my dates and I can’t blame any of it on my shot. I also now have a fibroid but it’s very small and the symptoms are minor enough that I’m trying to wait it out and hope I go into full menopause before it gets bad enough to treat. I suspect I’m relatively far along in the peri phase, but haven’t had any hot flashes. All of the other symptoms check out though! My mom was 52 when she was officially in menopause so I have a little way to go based on that, but of course that’s just an imaginary deadline for me.

• Like 2

On 4/12/2021 at 1:46 PM, dixiedoodah said:

How was that process at Six Flags? I just saw it on the news the first few days it was open when it was apparently a cluster fu@$ and was causing huge traffic delays and backups. Did it get smoothed out? Glad you are all done and with minimal side effects!

It is very busy, but the initial traffic problems have been cleared up.  My great grandmother always said..."the early bird gets the worm".  I was one of the first in line when they opened for both vaccines.  😉 

• Like 2

Sorry about that. Hope you will be back to normal soon. Although my husband and I had no serious side effects (I had fatigue after dose 2) both of my kid had some nasty side effects after the second dose. Good news is they didn’t last long, maybe 6 hours or so and they both woke up the next day good as new. 

Hope you bounce back soon. 

Edited by dixiedoodah

Feeling much better this evening than I did this morning.  Hope I'll be back to normal tomorrow - fingers crossed!

• Like 3

Oh - I had my 2nd shot (pfizer) last Friday. Had some chills that night, shot site pain and a headache for a couple days, very tired (and super lazy) that Saturday. A little lazy on Sunday but that's probably just me 🙂 My husband lost the bet I'd have no side effects - but really, a day of feeling a little under the weather compared to hospitalization and/or death? Yeah, I'm ok with that!

Edited by Hoyaheel
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Hoyaheel said:

Oh - I had my 2nd shot (pfizer) last Friday. Had some chills that night, shot site pain and a headache for a couple days, very tired (and super lazy) that Saturday. A little lazy on Sunday but that's probably just me 🙂 My husband lost the bet I'd have no side effects - but really, a day of feeling a little under the weather compared to hospitalization and/or death? Yeah, I'm ok with that!

I was very similar to you. Same timeline. My boyfriend, on the other hand, had major side effects - fever, chills, pains all over. Friday night until early Sunday. But hey - much better than actually getting Covid and dealing with the possible effects of that illness.

• Like 2

Did you have shots the same day? In addition to us getting different vaccines (unintentional) - we staggered our shots in case of bad responses so we could take care of each other. Of course - my husband took off to go fly his RV planes the Saturday I was under the weather. He hadn't gone to fly in over a year, and I knew I'd be ok so I encouraged him to go. It's easier for me to be lazy and spend the day in bed if he's not here!  He is the opposite of lazy so I feel guilty, and if I'm in bed - he thinks I must be REALLY sick, but to me it's just comfort (emotional AND physical). He says he gets that (after 20+ years....) but I'm not sure he really does 😉

• Like 2

Yes, same day, same shots (moderna). He got a call from the city we live in saying that they had a shot for him, and asking how many adults he had in the household. They took our names and told us to come on down to the hospital the next morning for the first shot. We felt very lucky because we still weren't technically considered "eligible," but the city had the shots available, so why waste them? I wouldn't have wanted to "jump the line," but everybody I knew who was older than me had already gotten their shots. By the time the state notified me that I was eligible, I had already had my second shot! We weren't that concerned about the side effects, and I know he was shocked by how badly he did with them.  Even though I was there, there wasn't much I could do for him other than bring him juice and order dinner since I don't cook. 😁

• Like 2

Argh - just when I thought getting close to the finish line. :BangHead:

Short version:  my sister and I at Urgent Care on Sunday with our Dad who has advanced Alzheimer's.  He has been vaccinated with Pfizer.  He was diagnosed with COVID anyway.  They didn't test for Delta, but assume that is what it is.  Within minutes we are quarantined off, big sign on our door not to enter and anyone who does come in has full PPE on.  He staying at hospital for the foreseeable future to keep watch on him - both from COVID problems and because we just not equipped to keep an eye on him 24/7 when we can't use healthcare workers either.  One of his healthcare workers also tested positive, also vaccinated.  My sister can't go home to her un-vaccinated children, so she is camping out with me at my house She is thrilled, this week was camp week so now her husband has to do all the pickups/drop offs :D.  We are both going to get tested on Thurs/Fri from drive thru hospital service this week and then see how it goes.  They said if we do get it will be like flu because we already vaccinated (Moderna) and not high risk, but our big concern is passing it onto those that are at risk.  We are lucky that we knew the exact time we exposed and had not left the hospital since being exposed so we didn't have to backtrack and figure out where we had been and who we had exposed.  Considering my sister walked out of her house to go to urgent care not knowing she wouldn't be home for at least a week has actually gone rather smoothly.  We are now both working from my home sleeping in different rooms and using different bathrooms and doing our best.  Have to admit, nice to have the company during quarantine and we always get along great so not a hardship.  Already had friend drop care package off on front porch that included CVS home COVID test, TP, candy, Lysol cleaning stuff and face masks - my friends rock.  Lots of friends/family offering to bring us stuff or do whatever is needed, we feel very lucky. :GroupHug:  We will use the CVS home tests one last time before she does finally decide to head home, whenever that may be. 

Docs at hospital said that the Delta variant is going to be a huge ugly monster and they know they will be getting hit with another wave soon.  I wanted to hug them they looked so sad when telling us what was coming. :(

• Sad 3

I’m so sorry. I hope you are all ok, especially your father. That’s tough. Scary too since vaccinated. I’m hearing about so many breakthrough infections. I don’t think reporting on this feels really accurate. 

• Like 1

They assure us that if my sister and I get it, we will not need hospitalization or anything extreme because we are vaxed.  They seemed very confident my Dad would be ok, even with the underlying conditions because he was vaxed.  From the way the hospital staff was talking, this next wave with the Delta variant is going to be an absolute monster - and we already know the staff is overwhelmed before this wave even arrives. :(

• Sad 1