Sign in to follow this  
princess

Coronavirus

I have a friend who has major underlying conditions: he's had two heart attacks. We live in NJ, and he's been trying to be careful, and is fully vaccinated. BUT...then he went to Vegas (of all places) for a family reunion. Long story short, he came back with the Rona. Felt like an extremely bad flu. Went to the hospital and was given Regeneron on a Saturday. Felt much better by Sunday night. Was fully healed by the middle of the week. Needless to say, the vaccine and Regeneron saved his life. If it was last year at this time, he wouldn't have made it. His wife also got it, but she is vaxxed and had mild symptoms and is fine.

• Sad 3

So sorry for you! Hope it's light and no long term issues!

While it's true something like 99% of deaths from COVID now are in unvaccinated, we're just now starting to talk about morbidity again and what it could mean - long covid is no joke, potential permanent damage to brains, respiratory systems etc. MISC in kids who cannot be vaccinated yet. And so on. We're getting ready to cancel the trip we had planned for December, just gonna stick close to home for a while longer, continue with my mask & distancing.....

Meanwhile my office is getting ready to start opening - next week for some. Not sure what it means for me but I've already told my boss I wanna work from home as much as possible - don't know yet if I will be able to or not.....

• Like 3

I’m also curious about the prevelance of long Covid in people who get it after being vaccinated. It’s been 10 months since my son had it and he still can’t smell anything. Granted, that’s a mild issue, but 10 months is a long time for someone who has the more severe side effects. I’m hoping that vaccination cuts down on long COVID as well in people who still contract the virus. 

My husband went back to work on Monday and large swaths of the DC workforce seem to have started back this month. Even in my very progressive part of Northern VA with its high vaccination rates, mask wearing is starting to fall off just about everywhere. I saw a handful of massless people at the store this week which is absolutely new to me here. If it’s “over” here, I’d hate to see what it’s like in Missouri. 

• Like 2

This delta variant is scary stuff.  My fire engine red part of Virginia was barely complying with mask wearing before restrictions were for all intents and purposes lifted in mid-June.  Maxiedad and I just got back from the grocery store and we were the only ones masked even though we are fully vaccinated.  I would bet the mortgage that we were also one of the few at the grocery store who were fully vaccinated too.

Because mah-freedumbs.

Edited by Maxiemom
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1