Sign in to follow this  
princess

Roe vs Wade

I know we all pretty much have the same political positions on this board, so no point in saying why this situation is horrifying.  However, I have many hard core Republican family members that are spouting this cut & paste comment I've seen a lot:

Life begins at conception, so over 60 million babies have had their lives taken from them.

My question to members of this this - what is your response to this? 

Mine is "It's a clump of cells, not life.  But if you feel that strongly about it, will you yourself personally adopt some of these babies that women will be forced to carry to full term if this passes?".  

Would love to see what your responses would be.

• Sad 1

• Banning abortion is religious discrimination (for Judaism). 
  • There are a lot of examples of how the Bible doesn't mention life begins until the first breath (eg after birth). And how the only mention of abortion is how to provide one (with "bitter waters"). But I generally ignore my religious conservative family discussions on this topic - I had to block on FB years ago anyway. 
  • US law believes life starts at birth. You don't get to drink at age 20yrs 2.5 months, you drink at 21. Vote at 18. drive at 16. Etc. [I just saw this argument on twitter - I don't actually like it but....it made me think differently at least!]

I generally do not engage because I'm not going to change their minds. I will say I disagree and restate my bodily autonomy and freedom to make my own health care decisions. Their religious arguments don't sway me either, best to avoid if I can.

Thanks.  I normally don't engage either, but I'm in a specific situation I must with an 80 year old privileged man. :rolleyes:

• Like 1