princess

Broadway Industry News

NY Post

IF THEY CAN MAKE IT HERE...

By Michael Riedel - On Broadway

IF you're Julia Roberts or Rosie O'Donnell, you don't do Broadway for the money.

Compared, certainly, to the incomes of us normal wage earners, both actresses will be handsomely rewarded for their upcoming forays onto the Great White Way, with Roberts earning around $35,000 a week in the play "Three Days of Rain" and O'Donnell pulling in about $10,000 a week as Harvey Fierstein's wife in "Fiddler on the Roof."

But what's 35 grand a week if you're normal salary range is $20 million a movie?

And what's 10 grand a week if you've got enough in the bank to blow $10 million on "Taboo"?

Pocket change, that's what.

So, if you're a household name who hasn't fallen on hard times, your reasons for appearing on Broadway usually have something to do with altering or enhancing your public image.

A turn on the stage can, for instance, signal a new phase in your career.

Roberts' decision to star on Broadway in "Three Days of Rain," an adult play about aging yuppies looking back on their lives, can be seen as the beginning of her transition from America's sweetheart to middle-aged actress with depth, range and seriousness of purpose.

The 38-year-old, no longer a Pretty Woman but an Older Pretty Woman, had been hunting for a serious play to star in for a couple of years before settling on Richard Greenberg's "Rain."

What motivated her in part, a person who knows her says, was the experience of working with director Mike Nichols on the adult movie "Closer," which, not coincidentally, was adapted from the stage.

That was an artistically rewarding experience for her, and much more satisfying than rolling out yet another lightweight romantic flick.

She could, of course, move away from popcorn movies by going the independent film route. But Julia Roberts starring in a movie is hardly news. Julia Roberts starring in a Broadway show is an Event.

If she pulls it off, her emergence as a serious dramatic actress will be certified by good reviews from high-brow New York drama critics. She'll also be able to demonstrate her drawing power.

"Movies, especially this summer, have been terrible for stars," notes a Broadway publicist. "Nobody's really selling anymore. But on Broadway, if you're a star, you'll sell out. It's a quick fix."

Nobody expects Rosie O'Donnell to sell "Fiddler" the way Roberts will sell "Three Days of Rain." But her turn could be a way of burnishing a theater career that was tarnished by the failure of "Taboo."

O'Donnell clearly wants to be a player, both as performer and producer, on Broadway. "Taboo" was a setback. Even though she wasn't in the show, she was its public face - and the public rejected her and it.

Her behavior on the show also contributed to the image of her as a foul-mouthed, angry lesbian. With "Fiddler," O'Donnell has a chance to demonstrate motherly warmth as Golde.

And she will not be held accountable at the box office.

She shrewdly insisted that the producers of "Fiddler" announce they would be closing the show at the end of the year before they announced that she was joining the cast.

If her reviews are good, Rosie will be back as a force on Broadway.

Does anyone have any details on the kiosk that's in Times Square (I think it's Times Square) that sells last minute show tickets for a reasonable price?? You can even get tixs to sold out events. They only sells tixs for show dates in the next 48 hours or so, so you have to be flexible, but can get a good price for them?? I've known a few people that have done that and have been very happy. You have to get the tixs in person though, no pre-ordering.

Anyone ever do this?? I may be doing a weekend in NY early next year and wanted to know if anyone has ever done this.

EOnline.comREMEMBERED: Italian tenor Enzo Stuarti, who performed in more than a dozen Broadway productions and sang at Carnegie Hall, died Friday, of heart failure. He was 86.

TV Guide.com

THE PAY'S THE THING: Lastly, 2005 was also very, very good to the Great White Way, as theatergoers gave their regards to Broadway in the amount of $825 million, a new record and a 10 percent bump from 2004. I know what you're thinking: "Yeah, but tickets now cost like $15,000 each, Matty." Well, first, paid attendance was in fact up 5.7 percent; and second, only my S.U. buddies call me Matty.

Does anyone have any details on the kiosk that's in Times Square (I think it's Times Square) that sells last minute show tickets for a reasonable price??  You can even get tixs to sold out events.  They only sells tixs for show dates in the next 48 hours or so, so you have to be flexible, but can get a good price for them??  I've known a few people that have done that and have been very happy.  You have to get the tixs in person though, no pre-ordering.

Anyone ever do this?? I may be doing a weekend in NY early next year and wanted to know if anyone has ever done this.
I use the TKTS booth on occasion. Be aware that they only sell the most expensive seats at this booth, so even though you are getting the tickets for half price (with a slight surcharge for TKTS), you may be paying more than the cheapest tickets available. Then again, they are better seats...Also, most of the "hot" shows aren't available here. You won't see any for "Spamalot," "Wicked," "Pajama Game," etc. at the TKTS booth unless they have a last-minute cancellation (I couldn't even get a single seat to any of those shows during the week OR weekend). I was at the booth this past weekend and picked up half-price seats for "Ring of Fire" (not so good), "The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee" (very funny), and "Beauty and the Beast" (a bit too sugary, but the singing was excellent and my mom loved it). Two weeks ago I got a seat to "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" at the booth.You can check their website in advance; they list the shows that have sold at TKTS over the prior week. They don't tell which days though, so what comes up on a Tuesday will not likely come up again on a Friday. There are plenty of vendors lurking in that area, so you will get offers to cheap comedy shows or some off-off-Broadway shows.The TKTS booth in Times Square (corner of 47th and Broadway) only sells for day-of shows. For matinees, booth opens at 10 a.m. For evening shows, booth opens at 2 on Tuedays, 3 on Wednesdays I believe. There is a second booth in downtown (can't recall where - maybe Soho or Tribeca area?) that does sell matinees a day in advance. Good luck!!

Oh thank you soooo much for the info!! I don't know anyone that lives in NY, just visits so never knew anyone to actually use the booth. THanks for the heads up!

Sure thing Princess - I hope you find some good shows! I fly into NYC each week for work, and sometimes stick around weekends, so if I see anything cool advertised I will let you know.Also, I forgot to mention that TKTS only accepts cash or travellers' checks. They do not take any credit cards. Luckily there is a Bank of America at 46th and Broadway if you are short on cash. have fun!!

rosiedemarioJulia Roberts was almost the million-dollar baby on Broadway last week.Three Days of Rain, which stars Roberts, Paul Rudd and Bradley Cooper, grossed a whopping $988,298 for its first full week of preview performances, according to figures released Monday by the League of American Theatres and Producers.The eight performances, which began March 28, played to 101% of capacity (which includes standing room) at the Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre, the league said. The Richard Greenberg play — Roberts' Broadway debut — opens April 19.Other shows playing to capacity — or better — last week included Wicked,Monty Python's Spamalot,The Pajama Game,The Odd Couple and The Phantom of the Opera. Although Phantom was helped by discount offers, the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical has demonstrated surprising box-office muscle, particularly after becoming Broadway's longest running show last January.Also playing to virtual capacity were such shows as The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee,Jersey Boys,The Lion King and Tarzan, which is now in previews. Disney's new musical opens May 10 at the Richard Rodgers Theatre. [uSAToday]

NY Daily News

OK, folks - break a leg

'ER' stars take to the stage

By JOE DZIEMIANOWICZ

DAILY NEWS FEATURE WRITER

Is there a doctor in the house? Right now, probably - and if not, you can page a nurse.

There's a cluster of "ER" stars at center stage these days. Four actors famous for their roles in NBC's long-running hospital drama have moved from the operating theater to the boards, on Broadway and beyond.

Julianna Margulies, an Emmy winner for playing head nurse Carol Hathaway, made her Broadway debut on Sunday in the dark family drama "Festen." She plays the daughter of a man with a sicko secret that comes out at his bizarre 60th-birthday party.

Gloria Reuben, aka HIV-positive physician's assistant Jeanie Boulet, struts her stuff (and a fab flippy wig) as Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice in David Hare's "Stuff Happens." The ripped-from-the-headlines play, chronicling events preceding the invasion of Iraq, runs through May 28 at the Public Theater.

Alex Kingston, meanwhile, who portrayed Dr. Elizabeth Corday, plays nasty Nurse Ratched opposite Christian Slater in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" at the Garrick Theatre in London.

And Maura Tierney, the series' Abby Lockhart, will co-star with "Will & Grace's" Eric McCormack in "Some Girl(s)," a black comedy by Neil LaBute about a guy who meets up with four exes before getting engaged (May 17-June 28 at the Lucille Lortel Theatre). "Maura," says McCormack, "plays the girl that got away."

Margulies couldn't let the "Festen" role get away. "I loved the idea of being in an ensemble," she says, adding that when she read the play she "was blown away. It's been the most theatrical experience I've ever had. It's so intense."

Critics were not that enthused in their reviews yesterday, but that doesn't shake her resolve to do theater. In 1994, she was offered $27 million to renew her contract with "ER" but turned it down for stage gigs and other new challenges.

It wasn't just about money. "It's nice to have a steady job," she says. "[but] I wanted to explore other parts of who I am."

Reuben, who toured with Tina Turner after she left "ER," feels the same way. Playing Rice can get sticky, since the two women's beliefs diverge. "But I can't judge Condi while I'm playing her," says the actress. "It's been a great lesson for me - about acceptance and understanding."

Getting into character is a no-brainer. "As soon as I put on the Condi wig I'm there," says Reuben. She showed a friend a picture of herself made up for the part, "and he said, 'Oh my God, that's so frightening.'"

With all these famous "ER" faces onstage, you've got to wonder if George Clooney (bad-boy dreamboat Dr. Doug Ross from 1994-99) is next. He's already got his Oscar - isn't it time for a Tony?

Unfortunately, that isn't going to happen anytime STAT. His reps say Clooney has no immediate plans to do theater - so "Syriana: The Musical" will have to wait.

TV Guide.comBroadway Sells Tix-a-Lot Broadway's 2005-06 season grossed $861.6 million — a new record for the Great White Way and a 12 percent bump from the previous year. The top five earners were Wicked ($68.1 million), The Lion King ($59.3 mil), Monty Python's Spamalot ($53.6 mil), Mamma Mia! ($48.9 mil) and The Producers ($40.2 mil). While it's easy to dismiss the feat as the result of mammoth ticket prices — as I did moments ago when I first read this report — it should be noted that paid attendance broke the 12 million mark for the first time, with 12,003,148 ticket buyers. TVGuide.com's self-professed theater queen, Raven Snook, represented roughly half of that tally.

Joey Lawrence Joins Cast of 'Chicago'

Filed under: Broadway

Posted Image

I miss Blossom. Someone page Mayam Bialik. Isn't she like a portly geneticist now or something? More power to her. Here's Joey Lawrence arriving at Regis and Kelly to hype his role in "Chicago". Trying to look Diddy-ish. He's on that David Hasselhoff fame tier now - where you do the musicals. But not like the musicals that are just opening and hot. I mean the ones that play in Fresno and that have been out for awhile - like "Cats" or "RENT" or "Chicago". I can't get over that lack of hair, though. So was his old hair a weave?

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted by: J. Harvey

http://socialitelife.com/2007/05/08/joey_l..._of_chicago.php

"The Color Purple" Not Colorful Enough Behind The Scenes?

Filed under: Broadway

Posted Image

Shawnique Hill has filed a federal lawsuit against the Broadway show, "The Color Purple," alleging wrongful termination, as well as discrimination and breach of contract. The former dresser and stylist for the Oprah Winfrey-financed production claims that she was let go after lamenting the fact that she believed there were too few "people of color" hired to work off-stage on the production.

"My client is a true heroine . . . for the rights of all people of color who are underrepresented and mistreated behind the curtains on Broadway even when the most powerful black woman in America is the key investor," said Hill's lawyer, Christopher Serbagi.

The rep for the show was contacted and stated, "We are confident there has been no violation of the law." I don't know what to think, y'all. I'm very much like Liz Lemon, in that the closest thing to "religion" that I follow is listening to what Oprah and my mother tell me, and so I'm kind of at a loss here.

Posted by: Lisa Timmons

http://socialitelife.com/2007/05/18/the_co..._the_scenes.php

All AP News

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

`Xanadu' Postpones Broadway Opening

The opening of "Xanadu," the new Broadway musical based on the cult Olivia Newton-John roller-disco movie, has been postponed after one of its stars, James Carpinello, injured his foot during a rehearsal Tuesday.

The new opening date and when Carpinello can return to the production have not been determined, Pete Sanders, a spokesman for the show, said Wednesday. Meanwhile, Carpinello's understudy, Andre Ward, has taken over the role of Sonny during preview performances.

Kerry Butler also stars in the musical, which was to have opened June 26 at the Helen Hayes Theatre. She portrays Kira, a Greek muse who attracts a painter dissatisfied with his career, the role played by Carpinello.

"Xanadu" has a book by Douglas Carter Beane and features songs from the movie by John Farrar and Jeff Lynne. They include such pop hits as "Magic," "Party All Over the World," "I'm Alive" and the title tune.

___

On the Net:

http://www.xanaduonbroadway.com

Both Anne Hathaway and Maggie Gyllenhaal have passed on the lead role of Broadway-bound 'Pygmalion,' we hear, but we may see the gamine Gyllenhaal onstage yet, as Nellie Forbush in 'South Pacific.'

Both Anne Hathaway and Maggie Gyllenhaal have passed on the lead role of Broadway-bound 'Pygmalion,' we hear, but we may see the gamine Gyllenhaal onstage yet, as Nellie Forbush in 'South Pacific.'

Now that would be interesting - Maggie G singing "they call me a cockeyed optimist." Good thing she's a strong actress.

One thing for sure, Bobby will be at the premiere cheering for Maggie and telling her that he is her number one fan.

Okay one has the right to daydream­.

From Page Six 11/8/07

'lion' Smells

"LION King" audiences at the Minskoff have been sniffing the sweet scent of marijuana. It turns out the pot-head fans of former Grateful Dead bassist Phil Lesh, who's doing a nine-day stint at the Nokia Theater next door, were lighting up. "The smoke was so thick it was seeping through the wall and into the Disney audience, and they started complaining," a spy at Monday's show told The Post's Bruce Golding. "The ushers are now very vigilant and making sure nobody lights up." A Nokia rep admitted there were complaints. The Minskoff had no comment.

From Page Six 11/8/07

'lion' Smells

"LION King" audiences at the Minskoff have been sniffing the sweet scent of marijuana. It turns out the pot-head fans of former Grateful Dead bassist Phil Lesh, who's doing a nine-day stint at the Nokia Theater next door, were lighting up. "The smoke was so thick it was seeping through the wall and into the Disney audience, and they started complaining," a spy at Monday's show told The Post's Bruce Golding. "The ushers are now very vigilant and making sure nobody lights up." A Nokia rep admitted there were complaints. The Minskoff had no comment.

This is a review of the play from Broadwaybox.com:

A spectacular visual feast, this adaptation of Disney's much-loved film transports you to a dazzling world that explodes with glorious colors, stunning effects and enchanting music *. At its heart is the powerful and moving story of Simba, and his epic journey from wide-eyed cub to his destined role as King of the Pridelands.

They forgot to incude *enhanced by special effects from the Nokia Theater* and we're not talking 3-D glasses! :D

A 'HAND SHAKE ON BROADWAY

DEAL ENDS 19-DAY STRIKE

The curtain is rising again on Broadway.

Striking stagehands and producers reached agreement on the outstanding issue of wages late last night, ending a 19-day walkout that cost the city an estimated $38 million.

As a result of the deal, most of the 26 shows shuttered since Nov. 10 will reopen tonight.

The pact, which will run for five years, must be ratified by the 350 strikers, who were earning up to $120,000 a year.

"It's a good compromise on both sides," said Charlotte St. Martin, executive director of the League of American Theaters and Producers, which represents the producers. "Broadway's lights will once again be shining brightly."

Bruce Cohen, a spokesman for Local One, the James Claffey-led union that represents the stagehands, said, "We're glad there's a deal, and everyone can go back to work and the public can go see a Broadway show."

Mayor Bloomberg said the agreement is "great news . . . for everyone who lives in, works in or visits New York City."

In Times Square last night, Christina Jennings, 25, of Austin, Texas, was ecstatic.

"We're happy, because we have tickets to see 'Spamalot,' " she said. "I was very sad, because there's nothing like Broadway musicals. I've been to a million. but they're always amazing."

But Megan Litle, 19, a Montana State University student, grumbled, "It's exciting for everyone else. I'm disappointed because we had tickets for three shows and we're leaving tomorrow."

Randy Alexis, manager of Friday's restaurant at 46th Street and Seventh Avenue, said the settlement of the walkout was "fantastic," because "we lost $30,000 per week."

If the strike had continued, he said, he would have been forced to lay off 20 people.

The agreement was reached in three marathon negotiating sessions that began Sunday.

Wages were the major issue on the table when both sides began meeting at 10 a.m. yesterday in the Theater District offices of Proskauer Rose, the producers' labor lawyers.

Details of the wage hike were not disclosed, but sources said the stagehands got an increase they're comfortable with.

Last month, the producers offered a 16.5 percent hike over five years for senior union members. The union countered that all stagehands had to get the same percentage increase.

Before yesterday's talks, the two sides worked out the thorny issue of the "load in," in which sets are loaded into a theater for a new production, sometimes at a cost of $1 million.

The producers, saying long-established hiring rules were out of step with modern computerized stagecraft, sought to limit the number of stagehands they had to hire for the procedure.

The union sought to keep as many jobs as it could.

The stagehands walked off the job on Nov. 10, and the city estimated the strike cost the Big Apple $2 million a day, or $38 million for 19 days.

The producers lost at least $19 million, because theaters were dark during Thanksgiving, the second most profitable period for Broadway.

Theatergoers line up for Bway tickets

Theatergoers lined up for tickets Thursday as Broadway returned to business following a crippling 19-day strike that cost producers and the city millions of dollars.

Tickets sold at a discounted $26.50 in a special promotion as people lined up for the musical "Chicago."

"I never thought I'd have the opportunity to see a Broadway show! And the price is right," said Susie Biamonte as she waited for tickets. The play was re-opening with a new cast — Aida Turturro and Vincent Pastore of "Sopranos" fame.

The stagehands and theater producers reached a tentative agreement late Wednesday, ending a strike that kept more than two dozen shows dark for nearly three weeks. The strike took an economic bite out of New York, with businesses like restaurants, stores, hotels — even hot dog vendors — losing an estimated $2 million a day.

But Biamonte and her friends from Canada said they'd help fix the damage during their weekend in the city.

"We're going to make sure they'll be successful again, because we'll leave money behind," Rosemary Girardo said as the "Chicago" line moved ahead.

The end of the dispute was a big relief for playwright Tracy Letts, whose critically acclaimed play "August: Osage County" was to have opened on Nov. 20. It is now scheduled to open in previews Thursday night.

"I'm delighted. I'm ecstatic!" he said as he headed for a rehearsal with actor Jeff Perry. "We felt so vulnerable."

Perry said the walkout allowed him to spend time with family and friends over the Thanksgiving holiday. But then, "There was that dead pit of your stomach feeling of, 'Don't tell me this play will never be seen by a wider audience.'"

Most plays and musicals that were shut during the walkout, which began Nov. 10, were expected to be up and running Thursday evening.

"The contract is a good compromise that serves our industry," said Charlotte St. Martin, the League of American Theatres and Producers' executive director. "What is most important is that Broadway's lights will once again shine brightly, with a diversity of productions that will delight all theatergoers during this holiday time."

Local 1 President James J. Claffey Jr. was equally effusive in signing off on the agreement, saying, "The people of Broadway are looking forward to returning to work, giving the theatergoing public the joy of Broadway, the greatest entertainment in the world."

Details of the five-year contract, which must be approved by the union membership, were not disclosed.

But negotiations, which began last summer, were difficult, right up to the last day, as both sides struggled with what apparently was the final hang-up: wages. It concerned how much to pay stagehands in return for a reduction in what the producers say were onerous work rules that required them to hire more stagehands than are needed.

Until then, the talks had focused on how many stagehands are required to open a Broadway show and keep it running. That means moving scenery, lights, sound systems and props into the theater; installing the set and making sure it works; and keeping everything functioning well for the life of the production.

The strike couldn't have happened at a worse time for Broadway. Such popular shows as "Wicked," "Jersey Boys," "Mamma Mia!" and "The Lion King" were shut during the lucrative Thanksgiving holiday week. It's normally one of the best times of the year for Broadway, when the city is filled with tourists and Christmas shoppers.

City Comptroller William Thompson estimated the economic impact of the strike at $2 million a day, based on survey data that include theatergoers' total spending on tickets, dining and shopping. The league put the damage even higher.

Eight shows remained open during the strike (their theaters had separate contracts with Local 1), and they were joined by a ninth when "Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas!" got a court order to let it reopen.

The end of the walkout means a scramble for new opening nights for several shows that were in previews when the strike hit. They include Aaron Sorkin's "The Farnsworth Invention" and an adaptation of a long-lost Mark Twain comedy, "Is He Dead?"

Disney's "The Little Mermaid" already has announced it would push back its scheduled Dec. 6 opening — with a new date still to be set.

"We hope everyone's satisfied ... the atmosphere around our stage door was: We tried to remain positive," Tituss Burgess, who portrays Sebastian the crab in the lavish musical, told New York 1 TV. "We're just happy to be going back to work."

Alecia Parker, executive producer of "Chicago," said that she wasn't worried theatergoers might not come back to Broadway.

"I think people have been very disappointed to have Broadway dark," Parker told the television station. "I think we'll see an outpouring of support from the community."

Parker said rehearsals were planned Thursday to get the cast back up to speed, but she anticipated few problems. "You can imagine the adrenaline for coming back after 19 days," she said.

Broadway's last strike occurred in 2003 when musicians staged a four-day walkout. The musicians also struck in 1975, shutting musicals but not plays for 25 days.

Posted Image

people.com

Hangover Star to Debut on Broadway

Tuesday December 29, 2009 09:30 AM EST

What do you do after a massive Hangover? Why, debut on Broadway, of course.

That's what Justin Bartha, a star of this year's big comedy hit is doing, replacing T. R. Knight in the revival of Lend Me a Tenor, to open March 11 in New York City, according to Variety.

Bartha, 31, will play a hapless assistant in a Cleveland opera house who has to step in as the star of a production of Otello in the 1930s. He'll be joining actors like Anthony LaPaglia and Tony Shalhoub in the nonmusical play, which will be the Broadway directing debut of Stanley Tucci.

– Michael Y. Park