Sign in to follow this  
princess

Beyonce

Beyonce Up For 6 BET Awards

Filed under: 50 Cent , Awards , Beyonce , Robin Thicke

Posted Image

http://cbs2.com/entertainment/entertainmen..._136181546.html

50 Cent and Robin Thicke were on hand to announce the nominations for the 2007 BET Awards, and Beyonce looks like she's going to be the one to beat this year. Beyonce earned a leading six nominations Wednesday for the 2007 BET Awards, including nods for top female R&B artist, video for "Irreplaceable" and duets with Jay-Z on "Deja Vu" and "Upgrade U."

Beyonce's nominations haul doubled that of anyone else. "Dreamgirls" Oscar winner Jennifer Hudson, R&B singer Ciara, hip-hop's Akon and the group Gnarls Barkley all took three nominations.

The Black Entertainment Television Awards in music, television, film and sports will be presented June 26. Mo'Nique is slated to host the show on cable's BET Network from the Shrine Auditorium. Performers include 50 Cent and T.I.

Diana Ross will be honored with BET's Lifetime Achievement Award and Don Cheadle will be given the Humanitarian Award for his efforts at ending genocide in Darfur.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted by: Jessica Marx

http://socialitelife.com/2007/05/17/beyonc..._bet_awards.php

All AP News

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sexiness a Must for Today's Lady Singers

She was an "amazing talent," a young singer with a wonderful voice who wrote beautiful songs. But she was no beauty, plus flat-chested and overweight to boot.

Remembering the aspiring star, music executive Jody Gerson still feels terrible about thinking: "She's never going to get signed, even though she's fabulous."

Gerson might feel even worse after Wednesday night's exit of the matronly Melinda Doolittle from "American Idol." In today's music industry, Plain Janes need not apply. Sex appeal was once considered a bonus for a woman; now it's practically a requirement.

Doolittle and the heavyset, gap-toothed LaKisha Jones were widely considered this season's most talented "Idol" contestants. Yet both were eliminated from the final four in favor of Blake Lewis, who makes the teen girls swoon, and the long-locked, 17-year-old looker Jordin Sparks.

A quick check of the Billboard Top 40 turns up a list of candidates for "America's Top Model": Avril Lavigne, blonde stunner Carrie Underwood; tomboyish but sexy Ciara, fashionista Gwen Stefani and hip-swiveling Shakira (on a song featuring bootylicious Beyonce).

The only two in the Top 40 who might not be considered perfect 10s: Pink, who is still svelte and appealing; and multiplatinum Grammy-winner Kelly Clarkson, who got her break only through winning the democratically elected "American Idol."

When asked whether a female with so-so looks and sex appeal could get a record deal, Gretchen Wilson quickly replied: "They can't."

"I believe that very few will get through and they better be amazing," Wilson said in an interview. "The music is not about just music anymore, it's about the look, the 'it' factor if you will ... it's marketing."

True, looks have always been a part of the music business: Diana Ross played a model in the movie "Mahogany," Marianne Faithfull was considered a beauty, Tina Turner's legs were part of her sex appeal, Olivia Newton-John was the lovely girl-next-door and Stevie Nicks rocked teenage boys with more than just her guitar.

But there also were stars like wild-haired, pudgy Janis Joplin and Barbra Streisand, who challenged beauty standards with her protruding nose. Even curvy Aretha Franklin was known mainly for her one-of-a-kind voice.

Today, it's hard to find a singer larger than a size 6 and without a sexy look all of which are played up with sensuous videos, modeling spreads and provocative magazine covers. Lavigne, who once scoffed at singers who stripped for the cameras, fronts the new issue of Blender topless save for a strategically placed banner that reads "Hell Yeah, I'm Hot!"

The hit reality show "Pussycat Dolls Present: The Search for the Next Doll" is a striking example. In finding a replacement for current lead doll, stunner Nicole Scherzinger, the judging panel which included the cosmetically enhanced rapper Lil' Kim did talk about vocal qualities. But while a few contestants had strong voices, all were taut, toned and sexy, and the focus was more on their dancing and overall desirability. Which is to be expected from the group responsible for the anthem "Don't Cha" (as in, "don't cha wish your girlfriend was hot like me?").

Even singers who are heralded for their talent are gorgeous, like Alicia Keys, Corinne Bailey Rae or Norah Jones. And while critically acclaimed Amy Winehouse may not win any beauty contests, her songs have a raw sexuality that give her that "it" factor.

Dolly Parton, whose buxom figure sometimes overshadowed her talent as a songwriter and singer, said being "a good looking woman certainly can't hurt you any if you're trying to make it."

"But I would like to believe that true and great and pure talent will rise above whatever else," the country legend said in an interview. "But certainly in music these days, the better you look, the more apt you're going to get a contract.

"It's a damn pity, though, that people have to judge real talent on looks."

Gerson says the way female artists look reflects our society, where women are constantly judged on their appearance and oversexualized. But she also says it reflects the way we listen to music these days or don't listen.

"They have to look hot and sexy in these videos," says Gerson, who is credited with helping discover Alicia Keys, among others, and is now executive vice president of the U.S. Creative division of EMI Music Publishing.

"In the days of Aretha Franklin, people saw Aretha maybe a couple of times a year," she said, "but you listened to a record without a visual. You didn't watch it. Everything today, you watch it."

Gerson also agrees with Wilson about the marketing factor. With dwindling profits and budgets, record labels try to maximize artist exposure with clothing deals, cosmetic contracts, movie roles and modeling gigs.

"How many endorsements does Beyonce have? Do you think it's because she's the most talented person on earth or do you think it's because she's gorgeous? I think she's talented but she's also gorgeous," Gerson says. "I think you need the whole package."

And that notion, according to Wilson, "totally sucks."

"My favorite singers in the world were Patsy Cline and Loretta Lynn, and Patsy was a large woman, and Loretta she was never some kind of a supermodel, but they were the greatest female voices in country music, and they changed lives and they made a difference," says Wilson, who, although considered sexy, feels she doesn't fit today's beauty standards.

Where are the Patsy Clines of today? More often than not on smaller, underground labels, which put more of a premium on talent. And with the devolution of today's music industry, Gerson says, small labels may be the best path to success for a woman who doesn't look like a mold of a Barbie doll.

So how would Gerson advise the flat-chested, overweight, amazingly talented singer to chase her dream? Put out her own music and promote herself on the Web.

"As far as we've come as women," Gerson asked, "where are we really?"

Looks like the celebrity baby boom that started last year is far from over. Move over Angelina and Ashlee because Beyonce Knowles is going to be adding her name onto the celebrity mommy list.

Hollyscoop has learned exclusively through multiple sources that Beyonce is expecting. A source close to the couple revealed, "Beyonce is 100% pregnant, which is why the couple rushed their wedding." The source also told Hollyscoop that all the friends and family that attended the ultra private wedding were all aware that Beyonce was already expecting.

Our source added that Beyonce is in her early stages, but don’t expect this star to come out with a confirmation statement anytime soon. The couple is pretty private about their personal lives--they still haven't even confirmed their wedding. But the source confirmed that she is expecting and they rushed the wedding due to Beyonce's strong Christian beliefs.

Source: hollyscoop.com

Newlywed Beyoncé Returns to Recording Studio

Beyoncé, who married Jay-Z nearly a month ago in New York City, returned to the studio this week to record new material, PEOPLE has learned.

The newlywed, 26, is working in N.Y.C. with production duo Chris "Tricky" Stewart and Kuk Harrell. "She's a professional," Tricky tells PEOPLE. "She loves what she does and works her [butt] off. Right now she's basically doing three to four songs a day and that's unheard of."

Tricky, who worked with Rihanna and Jay-Z on "Umbrella" and Mariah Carey on "Touch My Body,” said the newly-minted husband hasn't visited the studio, but don't count out a collaboration between the newlyweds.

"It’s always a possibility," Tricky said of a future Beyoncé and Jay-Z musical pairing. "They worked together before, so it may be just a matter of getting the right record."

So has Tricky, a newlywed himself, offered any marital advice to Beyoncé? "No, we haven't talked about it at all, but I will probably ask her for advice at some point!"

Source: People

'Quiet' Drinker Beyonce Knowles

Beyonce Knowles says she is a boring drunk.

The 'Single Ladies' singer - who is married to rapper Jay Z - enjoys a glass of wine occasionally, but has a tendency to fall asleep if she has too much alcohol.

She said: "Well, I don't drink often. But when I'm drunk, I'm very quiet and I observe and I go to sleep. I don't think I'm much fun."

The 27-year-old star also insists she has never been interested in taking drugs.

Beyonce added: "I always said I would never do it. I've never seen a person who was high and thought, 'Wow, I want to do that!' I'm like, 'That's cool for them, but no thank you. I'll just have my wine.' "

The 'Bootylicious' singer - who has an alter-ego she calls Sasha - often feels people are watching her when she goes to a club to see if she can replicate her high-energy dance routines.

She explained to Britain's Cosmopolitan magazine: "Sometimes I'll dance, but I feel like at a party everyone expects me to be Sasha and go out there and run the dance floor."

Source: monstersandcritics.com

Beyonce: 'My Stylists Tell me to Eat Less'

Beyonce admits her mother and her stylists have urged her to eat less.

The Single Ladies songstress - who is known for her curvaceous figure - says she runs around two and-a-half miles every day, but finds dieting monotonous.

"My stylists mention it [eat less] when the clothes aren't fitting any more!" she tells Cosmopolitan magazine. "And my mum [Tina Knowles] tells me, yeah... I go through phases.

"Right now I'm eating veg and drinking water... it's boring. Usually when I get 5-8lb heavier than my ideal weight, I'll start eating healthily and make an effort to exercise more.

"At the moment if I snack it'll be fruit. Or I have these yoghurt-covered almonds.

"But this is when I'm being good. When I'm being bad, I'm bad. All the way. Burgers, pizzas, French fries, the lot...

"When I was in my best shape I got up at 6am, so I'm trying to do that again - but I'm not there yet... I do a lot of things with my trainer, but I don't enjoy working out."

Source: showbizspy.com

Beyoncé 'Refuses' To Walk To Car

Beyoncé reportedly refused to walk to her car after rehearsing for President Obama's inauguration concert.

The singer is said to have been furious after being told that her vehicle was parked four blocks away due to security restrictions.

"Beyoncé wouldn’t walk in high heels in the cold," a source told Daily News.

"The cops wouldn’t budge, but the Secret Service agreed to let the driver pick Jay-Z and Beyoncé up, bring them to their hotel so they could change, and get them back to the theatre."

Beyoncé recently described the new US President as "impressive" and "inspiring".

Source digitalspy.co.uk

Beyoncé Breaks Her Silence on Kanye's VMA Outburst

The other woman at the center of the Kanye West Video Music Awards shout-out scandal is finally speaking out.

Beyoncé Knowles, whose loss to Taylor Swift in the Best Female Video category prompted West to storm the stage and steal the microphone from Swift at the Sept. 13 ceremony, says she understands the rapper's motivation.

"Well, I knew his intentions, and I knew he was standing up for art; and he told me before, when they said the nominees, he's like, 'You have this award,'" she told O: The Oprah Magazine editor-at-large Gayle King.

"When they didn't call my name he was, like, completely shocked," Knowles, 28, added. "And when he walked on the stage, I was like, 'No, no, no!' and then he spoke, and I was like, 'Oh, no, no, no!' "

When Beyoncé won Video of the Year later that evening, she called Swift back on stage to let the country star finish her speech.

"In the end, it ended up being a great night, and Taylor Swift did get her moment – and I didn't have to make an acceptance speech," Knowles added with a laugh.

Source People

Beyonce's Bags Get Own Hotel Room

Beyonce proved her superstar status in Britain earlier this week - she hired an extra hotel suite to store her designer stage outfits.

The "Crazy In Love" hit maker is currently touring the U.K. and performed in Liverpool, north-west England on Wednesday night.

The singer stayed at the Lowry Hotel in nearby Manchester - but paid out for an additional room in Liverpool for her clothes.

A source tells Britain's Daily Mirror newspaper, "She had seven suitcases, three hand-luggage bags and two boxes, all for her mammoth gig.

"Beyonce doesn't do things by halves - especially where her performances are concerned. So in the cases there were apparently 14 dresses along with numerous pairs of shoes. Another box was full of make-up and the other had about 25 wigs in it."

Source: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate...7#ixzz0Wnd4ytM1

Beyonce's Parents Confirm Divorce News

BEYONCE's parents MATHEW and TINA KNOWLES have broken their silence to confirm they are heading for divorce.

Reports began circulating online last week (ends18Dec09) alleging stylist Tina Knowles had filed papers in a Harris County, Texas court in November (09) to put an end to her 29-year marriage.

The Knowles have now revealed the news is true, but insist the decision to split was "amicable".

In a joint statement, the former couple says, "The decision to end our marriage is an amicable one. We remain friends, parents, and business partners. If anyone is expecting an ugly messy fight, they will be sadly disappointed. We ask for your respect of our privacy as we handle this matter."

The divorce comes just weeks after Beyonce's manager father was hit with a paternity lawsuit from Los Angeles resident Alexsandra Wright, who works in the name branding business.

Pregnant Wright claims Mathew Knowles is the father of her unborn child, which is due in spring 2010.

The Knowles wed in 1980 and are parents to the Crazy In Love hitmaker and her younger sister Solange.

Source contactmusic

Justin Bieber Left Heartbroken By Beyonce

Justin Bieber claims Beyonce Knowles "broke his heart". The 16-year-old singer has had a crush on the 'Crazy In Love' hitmaker for years and admits he was devastated when he learned she had married long-term boyfriend Jay-Z in April 2008.

He said: "I've been totally in love with her since I was seven. She kinda broke my heart when she married Jay-Z."

Despite his sadness at her marriage, the 'Baby' hitmaker got the chance to meet his idol at this year's Grammy Awards.

Recalling the encounter, he said: "It was amazing. I was a little nervous but I told her she was very good-looking. Actually she's super hot."

Although he has a crush on Beyonce, the 'One Less Lonely Girl' singer admits he hasn't experienced "real" love yet.

He told Interview magazine: "I haven't been in love yet. I've definitely loved girls. But it's kinda like puppy love. It's not the real thing, but that's what you think at the time."

However, the teenage heartthrob is hoping to acquire more female admirers through his music.

Explaining the tracks on his forthcoming album 'My World 2.0', he added: "They will be mostly about girls, again. I want them to hear my music and wanna play it again because it made their hearts feel good."

Source femalefirst

Driving Instructor Jay-Z

Jay-Z is teaching his wife Beyonce Knowles how to drive.

The 'Single Ladies' singer has been going out on morning drives in New York with her 40-year-old husband, avoiding the rush hour glare of commuters and steering clear of paparazzi.

A source said: "Jay and Beyonce normally go out mid-morning when it's quiet. Their bodyguards are always in tow but they never ride in the car with them."

Beyonce, 28, is doing so well in the lessons that Jay-Z, 40, is looking to buy a car for her - although she is keen to avoid anything too flashy, scuppering his plans to get her a Bentley.

The source added to The Sun newspaper: "Beyonce wants something smaller. Money isn't an issue but she doesn't want to feel like she's driving a tank.

"She does want a car that's big enough to take out her family and friends if she needs to though."

Beyonce has previously revealed she would like to start a family at some point in the future, and wants to be just like her own mother Tina - who helped nurture her talent in Destiny's Child as a young girl.

She said: "It's not time for that yet. But definitely there will be a time. I want to be a great mother, the kind of mother that I have. I want the same bond that I had with my mom and that would be enough for me.

"The security and love I feel being in a relationship, a marriage, it's absolutely incredible. Incredible."

Source femalefirst