princess

Martha Stewart

people.com

SOLICITED: Some subscribers to the 13-year-old Martha Stewart Living magazine have received a multiple-choice questionnaire from the magazine, to gauge their reactions to such possibilities as replacing features that carry the disgraced domestic diva's name, reports The New York Times. Among the queries: "If Martha Stewart had to go to jail, do you think changing the name of Martha Stewart Living is a good idea or a bad idea?" A statement from the magazine said a number of possibilities are being considered.

Guest shoe queen

They probably will remove her name.I actually like the magazine altho her particular way of doing things is too fussy for me.

EOnline.com A BAD THING: Prosecutors accusing Martha Stewart of seeking a new trial by trying to "humiliate and embarrass" a juror with rumor and innuendo about his past, including an arrest and several civil judgments against him.

HUSH-UP TIME

Page Six

NO one impresses the regulars at the Grill Room of the Four Seasons restaurant. No one, that is, except Martha Stewart, who caused a silence to descend as she made her entrance at lunch yesterday. The other power-player diners, including Patricia Kluge, Patrick McCarthy, Leonard Lauder and Tom Florio , watched the disgraced domestic diva make her way to her table. The only other time a similar hush fell over the room was the first time Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis had lunch there in the early 1980s.

Guest saltandpepper

I'm on the fence with Martha.I wouldn't, couldn't and won't do all the foo-foo things she considers so important for "life".I admire her tenacity; she's certainly made a name for herself.On the other hand, you read too many stories of her being bitchy, impatient, and just generally disagreeable. It's really hard to like a person like that from afar.I am astounded that a smart woman like Martha got herself into such a mess. Particularly since she was in the stock business herself at one time. I truly feel she felt she was above all that; that it was ok to tell lies and she could get by.I've yet to hear an apology from her. She seems to be in denial. And the evidence is rock solid that she lied and did get insider info.All that being said I don't think she deserves a long prison sentence or really more than she's already gotten. I don't see how she can avoid it though. The sentence is harsh for her crime.

I agree Martha was guilty of insider trading but she is not the only one who has done this in the history of the stock exchange. Those good ole' boys have been trading secrets for years. She should have paid her $30,000 fine, 3 cents to everybody else, and put it behind her. In three months it would have been completely forgotten.

EOnline.com A BAD THING: Continuing their quest for a new trial, Martha Stewart's lawyers say they've found new lies and omissions in a questionnaire filled out by juror Chappell Hartridge.

MAIL FOR MARTHA Page SixTHOUGH she has yet to be sentenced, convicted felon Martha Stewart will not be wanting for pen pals if she does jail time. Sam Wagner, the man behind the hotprisonpals.com Web site, has posted an ad soliciting friends for America's favorite kitchen witch. "I'm 62, single and looking for a pen pal," the ad reads. "If you can walk on the beach and not think, 'Oh, those sea shells would look great hot-glued on a picture frame for the guest house,' then I'm the girl for you." Wagner said he'll forward letters to Stewart in a huge box of celadon, her favorite color, tied with a celadon ribbon.

TOWEL TALLY

imdb.com

ALL publicity is good publicity, at least with Kmart shoppers. Sales of Martha Stewart merchandise have gone up "since the verdict," Mike Lordino, Kmart district manager told us at the launch of Thalia, the new Spanish-language celebrity magazine fronted by Tommy Mottola's beautiful Mexican wife, at Kmart at Astor Place Tuesday night. "They're still increasing. We still have customers come in all the time." Martha's biggest seller is bath towels, followed by bedding and pots and pans.

EOnline.com STILL LIVING: Kmart announcing that it has dropped a royalties lawsuit against Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia and that it is extending a licensing agreement with the embattled homemaking maven's company for two more years.YES, IT'S A BIRKIN: Federal prosecutors urging a judge to deny Martha Stewart a new trial, disputing a claim that the first trial was tainted by jurors' alleged discussion of Stewart's pricey handbag. Stewart has also claimed she deserves a new trial because one juror failed to disclose his arrest record.IT GETS WORSE: Martha Stewart's brother, Frank Kostyra, planning to auction off some of her personal items on eBay, including her first catering car, the Singer sewing machine she used to make her wedding dress and an oak rocking chair, reports the New York Post.

Guest saltandpepper

I really think IF Martha is jailed that when she is released she'll do the book, the talk shows and use it all to her advantage. She is scared I'm sure (and she should be) but I think she's smart and she'll be ok.If Heidi Fleiss and that Helmsley lady can make it work for them Martha sure can.

Posted Image

LUNCH BREAK

Martha Stewart savors an afternoon stroll after leaving swank New York City eatery ILO on Tuesday. The domestic doyenne will be in less blissful surroundings when she returns to court to face sentencing June 17 for lying to federal investigators about a stock sale.

Judge Denies Stewart a New Trial Again

(Thursday, July 08 02:47 PM)

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) Domestic diva, multiple Emmy winner and convicted justice obstructer Martha Stewart is one step closer to sentencing after a federal judge denied her latest request for a new trial on Thursday (July 8).

U.S. District Judge Miriam Goldman Cedarbaum ruled that alleged perjury by a government ink expert who testified in Stewart's first trial wasn't grounds for a new trial, finding "no reasonable likelihood that this perjury could have affected the jury's verdict." According to the AP, the judge added that the jury's decision was based on "overwhelming independent evidence."

The request for the fresh trial stemmed from charges that Larry Stewart (no relation) lied on the witness stand during Martha Stewart's February trial. Larry Stewart has been acquitted of falsifying the document, a stock worksheet prepared by stockbroker Peter Bacanovic showing Martha Stewart's holdings.

The judge also refused to hold a hearing on when the prosecutors in the case learned about Larry Stewart's possible perjury and if they should have known sooner.

This is the second time that Judge Cedarbaum has denied a Stewart request for a new trial. Back in may, she rejected the defense claim that the verdict was unduly impacted by a juror who lied about a bias towards Stewart in order to land on the jury.

Stewart and Bacanovic are expected to be sentenced next week after being convicted in March of lying to federal investigators following a questionable sale of ImClone Systems Inc. stock.

They could receive 10 to 16 months in prison.

people.comFRIDAY, JULY 16: After a week's reprieve from her July 8 court date, Martha Stewart will be sentenced ? along with her stockbroker Peter Bacanovic ? on perjury charges in connection with the sale of her 3,928 shares of ImClone stock in December 2001. Legal experts have predicted that each will get 10 to 16 months in prison, but the domestic doyenne could be allowed to serve some of her sentence in a halfway house or on house arrest. U.S. District Judge Miriam Goldman Cedarbaum, who's presiding over the case, denied a request from Stewart's lawyers for a new trial due to the perjury charges lodged against a Secret Service ink expert who testified for the government in her case.

EOnline.com

BIG DAY: Martha Stewart and her former stockbroker, Peter Bacanovic , will be sentenced separately on Friday with the domestic diva receiving her punishment first starting at 10 a.m. followed by Bacanovic at 2:30 p.m.

Martha Gets 5 Months

EOnline.com

by Lia Haberman

Jul 16, 2004, 7:30 AM PT

The grand dame of good things will have to go without for a few months.

On Friday morning Martha Stewart was sentenced to five months in jail, five months in home confinement, two years of supervisory probation and was ordered to pay a $30,000 fine following her March 5 felony conviction on charges she lied to the feds about a 2001 stock sale.

The domestic doyenne was found guilty of conspiracy, obstruction of justice and two counts of making false statements.

The sentence has been stayed pending an appeal from Stewart's defense team. Her laywers said perjury charges against a juror and a key government witness would be a part of the appeal, due to filed within the next 10 days.

Stewart, dressed in a simple black pantsuit, arrived at a federal court house in Manhattan just after 9 a.m. ET accompanied by her daughter Alexis and her son-in-law. She was greeted by supporters outside and inside the courtroom.

Speaking on her behalf before sentencing, Stewart said "Today is a painful day, what started out as a personal matter has spread like oil."

She asked the judge to "please consider all the suffering I have experienced over the past two and a half years" and to "remember all the good I have done."

According to reporters in the courtroom, Stewart was close to weeping while reading her statement.

Once outside, Stewart addressed the press, saying she was not afraid, just "very, very sorry that it's come to this."

"Today is a shameful day, it's a shameful for me and for my family and for my beloved company and for all of its employees and partners. What was a small personal matter became over the last two years an almost fatal circus event of unprecedented proportions," said Stewart.

"I have been choked and almost suffocated to death during that time all the while more concerned about the well being of others than for myself, more hurt for them and for their losses than for my own, more worried for their futures than the future of Martha Stewart the person.

"More than 200 people have lost their jobs at my company as a result of this situation. I want them to know how very, very sorry I am for them and their families. I would like to thank everybody who stood by me, who wished me well, waved to me on the street like these lovely people over here (gestures to cheering crowd), smiled at me, called me, wrote to me. We received thousands of support letters and more than 170,000 e-mails to Marthatalks.com and I appreciate each and every one of those pieces of correspondence. I really feel good about it.

? Martha Stewart: The E! True Hollywood Story

From domestic diva to jailbird, E! tells all...

Airs: Fri., 8 p.m.; Sat., 1 p.m.

? Watch E! News Live tonight at 7 p.m. for the latest Martha scoop.

"Perhaps all of you out there could continue to show your support by subscribing to our magazine, by buying our products, by encouraging our advertisers to come back in full force to our magazines. Our magazines are great, they deserve your support and whatever happens to me personally shouldn't have any effect whatsoever on the great company Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia.

"And I don't want to use this as a sales pitch for my company but we love that company, we've worked so hard on that company and we really think it merits great attention from the American public.

"And I'll be back. I will be back. Whatever I have to do in the next few months, I hope the months go by quickly. I'm used to all kinds of hard work as you know and I'm not afraid, I'm not afraid whatsoever. I'm just very, very sorry that it's come to this, that a small personal matter has been able to be blown out of all proportion and with such venom and such gore, it's just terrible," she concluded.

Under federal sentencing guidelines she was expected to spend 10 to 15 months in the slammer. (Her lawyers had argued unsuccessfully to have the guidelines banned.)

In a bid to avoid incarceration, Stewart's legal team had pushed for community service coupled with probation and hired a sentencing consultant to match the domestic doyenne with a nonprofit organization where she could serve her time.

A letter-writing campaign conducted by Stewart supporters also appealed to the judge for leniency. "Martha Stewart has been an inspiration for women across the nation," wrote four middle-school cooks and a custodian from Springfield, Ohio.

Originally scheduled to be sentenced June 17, Stewart managed to delay the date when evidence was uncovered that a government witness repeatedly lied under oath.

Secret service ink expert Larry Stewart (no relation to the homemaking maven) was subsequently indicted for fibbing about his role in tests performed on a portfolio worksheet prepared by Stewart's former stockbroker Peter Baconovic.

But U.S. District Court Judge Miriam Goldman Cedarbaum was unmoved and rejected Team Stewart's bid for a new trial. (A prior motion to dismiss based on the shady past of one of the jurors was also overruled.)

Meanwhile, Stewart has spent her pre-slammer days getting her affairs in order and enjoying her freedom. According to the New York Post, the 62-year-old has unloaded her luxury Greenwich Village duplex (Nicole Kidman and Calvin Klein are neighbors) for around $7 million, making a profit of approximately $1 million.

In addition, the New York Times is reporting that Stewart has remained a fixture on the Manhattan social scene in recent days, attending fashion shows, parties and even the New York premiere of Fahrenheit 9/11.

EOnline.comMARTHA ADD: Prior to sentencing, Stewart asked the judge to "Please remember all the good I have done." Speaking to reporters after sentencing, Stewart said she was not afraid just "very, very sorry it's come to this."

Guest saltandpepper

Martha is delusional.I have to choke on her words about her caring more about others than herself.She's well known to be a demanding shrew. I'm sorry she's going to jail but she needs to be realistic.She committed a crime. Now she serves her punishment. She'll come out of this and go right back and still have millions.

I agree with the fact that she's a shrew, but I can't help but be disgusted that she gets jail time for this little stupid thing while the Tyco and Enron guys still get to run around on their yachts after doing stuff abou a thousand times worse. To me, there's definitely something sexist about it.

Guest saltandpepper

Actually some of the Enron bad guys are in jail. One committed suicide. The CEO has just been indicted.

TYCO was declared a mistrial(wrongly). Point is, these ENRON dudes overcharged California and helped contribute to our billion dollar debt. And this went on for about ten years(and just now getting caught)....I agree soho...Martha is a woman and she was singled out(not saying she is innocent). Some people just can't see the big picture, like how many other corporate CEO's or companies walking the streets have done what Martha has done or worse and aren't caught? To be honest, those people from Enron should be facing the death penalty for stealing employees' life savings/401k's. Let me stop, this is a fluffy gossip board...what was britney wearing today?