princess

Oprah Winfrey

I don't get what Oprah's problem is. The guy dies on Aug. 8 and the funeral is Aug. 15th. She can't get to the funeral from Hawaii? There are these new fangled inventions called jet liners you know.

Does anyone know the background facts on this? Was Oprah a close friend of this guy or was she considered obligated to go simply because she is black and has a magazine herself? I guess I'm wondering why the chicago Defender chose to make an issue out of this to begin with. They may have a very valid complaint or they may like to see how much publicity they can get out ot this.

(NYDailynews.com)Vogue editor rouses the fat & the furious Vogue editor at large Andre Leon Talley is eating a high-calorie plate of crow over his comments on Thursday's "Oprah Winfrey Show" that Anna Wintour "does not like fat people.""Most of the Vogue girls are so thin, tremendously thin, because Miss Anna don't like fat people," the 56-year-old Talley, who's not so svelte himself, confided to a surprised Winfrey about his boss, Vogue's editor in chief.Talley's remarks immediately drew heavy fire from Sandy Schaffer of the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance. "That you can make that statement and not realize it's hateful, in this day in age, is shocking," Schaffer seethed to Lowdown. "Either he thinks the world hates fat people and that's an okay thing, or he's so self-hating that he didn't see how hurtful this statement is."Shaffer, who heads the group's New York chapter, said she's prepared to stage an anti-Vogue demonstration in front of Conde Nast's Times Square headquarters.And Wintour thought PETA was bad?"I'm going into a meeting tonight and I'll be talking about what kind of action we should take," Schaffer said. "I'm not afraid of protesting outside of Conde Nast."Responding to Lowdown's inquiry concerning his remarks, Talley frantically backpedaled: "I do apologize if I offended anyone. What I should have said is that Anna is very concerned about people's weight because of the health issue. And, as I was fat, I was really talking about myself. I in no way wanted to imply that fat people were not acceptable."Schaffer retorted: "How do dislike and concern become mixed up to be the same thing? That's just garbage."As for Miss Anna - who famously made Oprah lose 30 pounds before she could appear on the cover of Vogue - a magazine spokesman advised: "Andre speaks for all of us."

(Foxnews.com)Oprah: Hermes Beef Just With One Worker Monday, September 19, 2005By Jesse Lanier NEW YORK — Media mogul Oprah Winfrey (search) addressed publicly for the first time Monday the highly publicized incident at the Paris Hermes (search) boutique where she was allegedly snubbed by employees. In front of her television audience, Oprah held up a stack of tabloid reports of the incident and said that they were almost all completely false.Winfrey emphatically rejected the widely circulated-theory that her beef with the store was rooted in their refusal to re-open it for her. She went on to say that she was smart enough to be able to tell the difference between a store being closed and a store being closed to her.Recounting the incident, she said that the store was in the process of closing, but that there was still a bustle of business inside.According to Oprah, one "rude" employee caused the ruckus by making her and some of her friends wait in the entrance of the store for permission to enter.Oprah took special care to say that her anger at the situation was directed at the female employee and not at the Hermes company.To wrap up all of the speculation over the incident, the president of the U.S. division of Hermes appeared on the show.He offered a hearty apology for the actions of the impolite employee, saying, "Honestly, she did not know who you were."In response, Oprah thanked him for his "heartfelt" apology and said she "was not trying to play that celebrity card."She closed the subject by encouraging fans who had been boycotting Hermes' famous Birkin bag to "wear" the bag if they wanted to.

I don't know..watched the show today and the whole Hermes incident..just didn't feel right. I mean she makes the man come on national tv and apologize when she admitted that he had sent her a heartfelt apology either through letter or a phone call (sorry can't remember which)...so why make the man come on her show??? Also, they didn't close the store to "her"...they were trying to close up for a special event. I've walked in stores that were "almost" closed and if I felt like I was being a bother(or if someone was looking at their watch)..I would leave..it wouldn't hurt my feelings. But have to give her big Kudos for giving 10 million to the Katrina victims to help build new homes. Her website also has a way to contribute in decorating the homes.Also her new puppies are adorable :)

I thought she would've ditched the Hermes crusade in light of more important stuff(Hurricane, Aniston)..but I see she can multi-task... :rolleyes:

He offered a hearty apology for the actions of the impolite employee, saying, "Honestly, she did not know who you were."

Why should it matter "who" Oprah was? If the store was closing, then it was closing. It shouldn't matter if it was Jane Doe or the Queen of England. End of story.If I had a dime for every employee in the retail business that was rude to me then I'd have the money to shop at an outrageously priced store like Hermes.Get over it Oprah, it really isn't all about you.Now the 10mil, that's nice.

Oprah, making the world much safer...one Hermes store at a time. I'll lay off, because the 10 mil is a great gesture. :)

found this on another board.....its a recap of today I guess..........Anyone watch today, it was a jam-packed Oprah! First, she's got Jennifer Aniston on who seemed nice but answered every question in some kind of vague half-assy way while she and Oprah toasted the new set and went on about their weekend together. I hate it when people talk about what a great party they had that you weren't invited to. Then she did the Hermes thing with Mr. Hermes CEO and explained how things *really* happened in Paris and how none of the news media were even remotely correct about the incident. Then she gushed about how wonderful Hermes has been about the whole thing and encouraged all of us to buy, buy, buy Hermes. Yeah right, THAT could happen. Then we went on a field trip to buy Oprah *more* dogs. Stedman and Oprah, instead of rescuing some poor pound puppies made a trek to the Mojave desert to pick out new "kids". They never said what breed they are, I suppose Oprah doesn't want to start a stampede to the breeders so we can all have the same dog as Oprah. Stedman was along and put his foot down and said Oprah could only have 2 puppies. Of course, they left with three. Way to stand firm, Sted. Apparently, although she can run a media empire, she is incapable of training her animals so the Dog Whisperer, whatshisname, has to make a house call so that Oprah's dog Sophie doesn't have a nervous breakdown about Mommy bringing home triplets. Finally, the finale of the season opener. No one got a new car, but Oprah said she pledged $10 million of her money for the victims of Katrina and is setting up "Oprah's Houses" for people with no homes. You can go to her website and buy things for the houses such a towels, linens and kitchenware or you can donate money, or, (this is my favorite) you can buy an entire house yourself. Sure, right after I pick up my Hermes bag. Actually it's not a bad idea for people who don't want to just write a check and want to know what their money is buying. By the way, Oprah unveiled her new set today, 2 years in the making and umpteen dollars (probably could have bought a few Oprah houses for the folks in NO) she now has a *Theater*, the "only one of its kind". Flashy lights, moniters and a big-assed TV across the back of stage, even bigger than the last one. I liked her old set better, I'm sorry to say. This one looks like an ice castle. That's it for my recap, can't believe she packed all this in a one hour show.

(Zap2it.com)Oprah Prompts Hermes' Public Apology for SnubLOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) Oprah Winfrey wants to set the record straight. She did not have a hissy fit in June when she was turned away from Hermes merely because she wanted to shop."Shame on anybody for thinking that I was upset for not being able to get into a clothes store and buy a purse," she said on her 20th season premiere. "I was upset because one person at the store was so rude. Not the whole company."The talk show host extraordinaire invited the Hermes USA president and CEO Robert Chavez to the show to clear the air. She ever so sweetly demanded a public apology for the June incident in which an employee turned Oprah and her entourage away from the Paris boutique at closing time even though some shoppers were still inside. "I would like to say we're really sorry," says Chavez "You did meet up with one very, very rigid staff person."With Oprah's prompting, Chavez amended, "Rigid and rude, I am sure."At the time, some speculated that racism, not mere rudeness, was behind the rejection. "Anybody who has been snubbed because you were not chic enough, or not thin enough, or not the right class, or the right color or whatever, I don't know what it was, you know that it is totally humiliating," said Oprah.Ever the dove of peace, she spoke words of forgiveness and encouragement to her viewers, telling them to "wear the Berkin bags. Shop, shop, shop, shop."

:huh: I thought the Hermes segment was too much. Oprah could have explained what happen rather than have the poor man apology on tv! Oprah does good work, but she needs to look at herself and realize that she does not live in the real world. How many women can afford to buy those bags?

Well the good thing about it..the man didn't completely kiss up to her. He really didn't back down from his statement that while the store was open..they were closing up for a big event ...it wasn't like they were snubbing her. Don't ya just hate it when customers come in at the last minute right before closing..Oprah or no Oprah :DAny comments on the new set? Another board likened it to the American Idol set..they aren't far off. It's great for the musical performers because it is good for a concert like atmosphere but for other guests it just doesn't have an intimate feel. For example, when Jen Anniston came out and you have these gigantic screens of her face and then they part in this grand manner...it's Oprah not the Oscars.

Oprah could've also Russell Crowe'd the rude employee...then after that, then get pissed at all the fuss being made about it! :D

IS OPRAH A SECRET SCIENTOLOGIST ALREADY?

Tom Cruise goes on The Oprah Winfrey Show, jumps on her couch and tells the world he's in love with Katie Holmes! Oprah tells Tom that the top of the Eiffel Tower is the place to propose. Tom takes her advice! And now, sources say Tom plans to lay out $15 million to buy a place in Montecito, Calif., just two doors away from Oprah's $50 million estate!

Are these two A-listers just really, really good friends — or is something else going on? Is it chemistry — or Scientology?

Certainly, Tom, 43, and Oprah, 51, have chatted about his controversial faith on many occasions. Now, says a source, "I think he really thinks he can convert her."

It makes sense. After all, Cruise, 43, is the world's most famous member of the influential religion. And Oprah, whose daily talk show reaches 30 million viewers a week, could be the biggest "get" since the emperor Constantine ditched the ancient gods of Rome in favor of Christianity back in the fourth century.

MOVING IN?

Indeed, says a friend of Oprah, "Tom seems really eager to lure Oprah into the church because he feels she would be a fantastic spokesperson and attract a whole new set of followers."

One Montecito resident claims Tom's supposed move to the oceanside community may be part of his strategy to get Oprah's ear — and heart. "People I've spoken to are saying Tom has told them he wants to be close to Oprah so that he can persuade her to join Scientology," the source tells Star. (Tom's rep says that Tom has never discussed Scientology conversion with Oprah and denies that the War of the Worlds star is buying a home in Montecito.)

(MSNBC.COM)Oprah buys more land on MauiWinfrey, who already owns 102 acres, purchases another 63HANA, Hawaii - Oprah Winfrey is buying more land on Maui.Hana Ranch Partners said it is selling 63 acres at Mokae near Hamoa Beach to the billionaire TV talk show host, who already owns 102 acres on the Valley Island.The purchase price wasn’t disclosed, but will become public record when the deal closes.The agreement also includes preserving another 192 acres from development in a joint project with Hana Ranch, Winfrey and the Maui Coastal Land Trust. The conservation project will be in the neighboring Haneoo and Hamoa districts.In a letter to Hana residents, company Chief Operating Officer Dan Omer and Chief Executive William Newsom said the arrangement would be “one of the most important private conservation efforts to occur on Maui.”If the deal goes through and Winfrey builds a home at Mokae, she is expected to drop her plans to build on a 102-acre Lehoula property she bought in 2002 with her close friend Bob Greene.Hana resident Carl Lindquist said he was thrilled about the deal, which limits development at Mokae to a single residence and ends Winfrey’s plan to build at Lehoula, where her home would have been visible from the road.“I think it’s great for Hana. We should all go out and celebrate,” Lindquist said.

(TheBosh.com)Oprah Waves Her Magic Wand Over Purple Musical By Scott Rose Oprah Waves Her Magic Wand Over twenty years ago, when Oprah had but a local talk show in Chicago, she fell in love with Alice Walker's novel "The Color Purple." As soon as she heard it was being adapted for a film, she wanted a part. Quincy Jones, who was one of the film's producers, happened to be in Chicago, saw Oprah's show and asked Steven Spielberg to consider Miss O for a role in the movie. She reportedly begged Spielberg to put her name on the movie poster; he must have thought something like "Who does she think she is, E.T.?" because he didn't put her name on that poster. Fast forward to 2005. "Purple" is being made into a Broadway musical. Though some doubting Thomases wonder how you can sing and dance about family violence, incest and racial discrimination, Oprah is signing on to promote the project, donating $1 million of her own money towards the production costs and getting her name up on the theatre marquis above the play's title. The Bosh is excited for Oprah but dearly hopes that the name Alice Walker is also prominent on that marquis. "Purple" the musical got what they call "mixed" reviews when it ran last year in Atlanta but has been "significantly revised" since. Major talent is involved: Marsha Norman wrote the libretto, Gary Griffin is the director, music and lyrics are by Brenda Russell, Allee Willis and Stephen Bray. Oprah's imprimatur guarantees widespread interest in the show. Note to Yoko Ono: Do you see Oprah Winfrey trying to control every last detail of the artistic elements of this show? (By Scott Rose)

(MSNBC.COM)Oprah buys more land on MauiWinfrey, who already owns 102 acres, purchases another 63HANA, Hawaii - Oprah Winfrey is buying more land on Maui.Hana Ranch Partners said it is selling 63 acres at Mokae near Hamoa Beach to the billionaire TV talk show host, who already owns 102 acres on the Valley Island.The purchase price wasn’t disclosed, but will become public record when the deal closes.The agreement also includes preserving another 192 acres from development in a joint project with Hana Ranch, Winfrey and the Maui Coastal Land Trust. The conservation project will be in the neighboring Haneoo and Hamoa districts.In a letter to Hana residents, company Chief Operating Officer Dan Omer and Chief Executive William Newsom said the arrangement would be “one of the most important private conservation efforts to occur on Maui.”If the deal goes through and Winfrey builds a home at Mokae, she is expected to drop her plans to build on a 102-acre Lehoula property she bought in 2002 with her close friend Bob Greene.Hana resident Carl Lindquist said he was thrilled about the deal, which limits development at Mokae to a single residence and ends Winfrey’s plan to build at Lehoula, where her home would have been visible from the road.“I think it’s great for Hana. We should all go out and celebrate,” Lindquist said.

How big is that Island.My Gosh!!. I guess it will be a resort of some sort once she is complete with it.

(People.com)Oprah Coming to BroadwayMonday Sep 26, 2005 8:00am ESTBy Stephen M. Silverman Oprah Winfrey CREDIT: MICHAEL A. MARIANT / APOprah is coming to Broadway – at least in the form of her checkbook and her name. The media mogul, whose net worth is said to be $1.1 billion, is investing as a producer in the Broadway-bound musical, The Color Purple, based on Alice Walker's Pulitzer Prize-winning novel – which, in turn, was adapted by Steven Spielberg as a 1985 movie that first introduced Oprah to a wide audience. In Winfrey's first Broadway venture, she will contribute more than $1 million of the musical's $10 million production budget, The New York Times reports. In addition, her name will go above the title – Oprah Winfrey Presents: The Color Purple, the show will be called – and she promises to help boost the profile of the stage show by featuring the cast on her TV program. "I hope to do for this production some of what I've been able to do for books – that is, to open the door to the possibilities for a world of people who have never been or even thought of going to a Broadway show," Winfrey, 51, tells The Times, admitting that it has long been her "secret dream" to be part of Broadway. The musical begins previews at the Broadway Theater on Nov. 1 and officially opens Dec. 1. Reviews out of town, for an Atlanta production last year, were mixed. The Times reports that the show has been extensively revised since then.

IS OPRAH A SECRET SCIENTOLOGIST ALREADY?

Are these two A-listers just really, really good friends — or is something else going on? Is it chemistry — or Scientology?

Certainly, Tom, 43, and Oprah, 51, have chatted about his controversial faith on many occasions. Now, says a source, "I think he really thinks he can convert her."

It makes sense. After all, Cruise, 43, is the world's most famous member of the influential religion. And Oprah, whose daily talk show reaches 30 million viewers a week, could be the biggest "get" since the emperor Constantine ditched the ancient gods of Rome in favor of Christianity back in the fourth century.

MOVING IN?

Indeed, says a friend of Oprah, "Tom seems really eager to lure Oprah into the church because he feels she would be a fantastic spokesperson and attract a whole new set of followers."

One Montecito resident claims Tom's supposed move to the oceanside community may be part of his strategy to get Oprah's ear — and heart. "People I've spoken to are saying Tom has told them he wants to be close to Oprah so that he can persuade her to join Scientology," the source tells Star. (Tom's rep says that Tom has never discussed Scientology conversion with Oprah and denies that the War of the Worlds star is buying a home in Montecito.)

In his dreams! The woman isn't stupid.

(NYDailynews.com)Color 'Purple' golden Oprah Winfrey's cash — and name — could easily play a part in B'way show's success By JOE DZIEMIANOWICZ Oprah Winfrey, surrounded by audience members who received new cars on a Sept. 2004 show. Thanks to Oprah Winfrey, "The Color Purple" is a whole lot greener.The 51-year-old talk-show host has joined the producing team of the upcoming Broadway musical based on Alice Walker's Pulitzer Prize-winning novel. When the daytime diva came onboard, she gave the production two life-sustaining gifts. The first was capital. Her $1 million contribution accounts for a tenth of the show's overall costs.The other gift is one that keeps on giving — her name. As the sole, above-the-title producer, the words "Oprah Winfrey presents" will appear on the marquee at the Broadway Theatre. If you think that will mean boffo box office, you're probably right.If Oprah's other projects are any indication of success, "The Color Purple" has a very rosy future."You can't buy the visibility and credibility that Oprah's name represents," says Jed Bernstein, president of the League of American Theatres and Producers. "It's going to be an enormous source of support for this show."In addition, Winfrey will certainly promote the play — with which she's uniquely affiliated, having starred in the 1985 Steven Spielberg movie version — on her TV show, which attracts 30 million viewers a day.Though she has long been in the public eye, Winfrey has flown under the radar while developing into a driving force in popular culture. Stop and think about it: From the books we read to the stars we obsess over to the movies and plays we patronize to the products we can't live without, a thumbs-up or -down from the couch-bound billionaire could mean millions. Renee Miller, a Los Angeles-based branding expert, puts it more succinctly: "When Oprah gets behind something, people listen."Or read. Ask the 2.6 million readers of O, the Oprah Magazine, a monthly publication that launched in April 2000. Or the millions of book junkies that respond like Pavlov's pooches when Ms. O gives a command: Getting a tome included in her book club is the equivalent of winning the literary lottery. Publishers Weekly estimates that the Oprah Book Club sticker can equate to additional sales of at least 500,000. Her latest book-club pick, announced Thursday on her TV show, is the paperback edition of "A Million Little Pieces," James Frey's gritty nonfiction memoir of substance abuse. Anchor Books has commissioned a new printing of 600,000, and the book, first released in 2003, was No. 1 on Amazon.com as of yesterday.Oprah's associations have also helped launched careers. Dr. Phil McGraw, spiritual guru Marianne Williamson, trainer Bob Greene and cook Rosie Daley all found that their affiliations with Winfrey significantly boosted both their public profiles and their bank accounts.And when it comes to those whose profiles need no further boost, Winfrey is the go-to gabber. Her show is the forum where Tom Cruise exuberantly professed his love for Katie Holmes and, last week, Jennifer Aniston assured fans she's okay since her bust-up with Brad. Who else but Oprah would ask Anthony Hopkins to read the phone book? She can reach out and touch anyone.Winfrey is well aware of her power. After Oprah was slighted by Hermes, the president of the luxury retailer's U.S. arm appeared on her show to slap his own wrist.But do these rules apply to the unpredictable Great White Way? As "The Color Purple" — which starts previews Nov. 1 and opens Dec. 1 — adds the final hues to its palette, the question remains whether the one and only Oprah can turn a Broadway show into a hit.Even enthusiastic experts are cautious. "Unlike books and products that are available everywhere, Broadway isn't distributed that way," notes Bernstein. "Even if you love everything Oprah tells you to do."

Oprah reward leads to arrest of suspected molester Howie Padilla, Star Tribune October 7, 2005 FUGITIVE1007 About 48 hours after "The Oprah Winfrey Show" featured eight suspected child predators and announced a $100,000 reward for information leading to any of their arrests Tuesday, the first was captured in Fargo.FBI officials worked with Fargo police Thursday to arrest William C. Davis, 33, who has been fleeing child molestation charges from Poseyville, Ind., said FBI Special Agent Paul McCabe.A woman called the FBI about noon Thursday, saying that her friend thought she saw Davis on "Oprah" Tuesday. The woman went to www.oprah.com and found Davis' picture and profile, McCabe said.About 4:45 p.m., authorities arrested Davis, who had been living under the alias Mark A. Davis. He initially denied being the man charged with five counts of child molestation, accused of raping boys in Indiana, McCabe said.William C. DavisAs investigators continued to question him, however, Davis relented and was arrested at a Fargo residence.It was not known late Thursday how long he had been in Fargo or what may have drawn him there.Officials at one time believed he might have been headed to Oregon to seek treatment for pedophilic addiction, according to court documents.The arrest comes three months after registered sex offender and Fargo resident Joseph Duncan was arrested in connection with the kidnapping and sexual assault of an 8-year-old Idaho girl. Duncan is also accused of killing her family.According to a criminal complaint filed in Posey County, Ind., Davis repeatedly raped a boy between Jan. 1 and July 28, 2004.The boy's mother met Davis while he was working for a youth crisis line. Davis developed a relationship with the boy and his brother, including taking them fishing and sometimes spending the night in their Evansville home, the court papers said.In late July, however, the boy told his mother that Davis had raped him. The charges said that at least one other boy accused Davis of rape.Davis also was convicted in 1992 of two counts of child molestation. Upon his 1994 release from prison for those crimes, Davis failed to comply with sex-offender registration laws, court papers said.Earlier this year, the FBI began working with staff members from "The Oprah Winfrey Show" to highlight some of the most notorious fugitive child predators in the country, McCabe said.Those fugitives were highlighted on the show Tuesday."With every breath in my body, and with you by my side, we are going to move heaven and earth to stop an evil that has been going on for far too long," Winfrey said in a statement on her website. "Before one more child lands in the headlines, we need to capture these criminals and put them away for good."McCabe praised the show and hailed Winfrey's dedication to the fugitives' arrest. He also said that it is a testament to how serious authorities take citizens' tips."We get numerous tips everyday on a variety of things, including voter fraud, fugitives and terrrorism," McCabe said. "We take every tip seriously, and we follow up on them. That's what helped to successfully bring this fugitive into custody."