princess

Jada Pinkett-Smith & Will Smith

The Gospel of Will Smith

'Seven Pounds' is about a man searching for salvation. The man who plays him is searching, too.

By Allison Samuels | NEWSWEEK

Published Nov 28, 2008

Will Smith has been experimenting with the bittersweet side of life in his last few films. A down-on-his-luck and out-of-work father ("The Pursuit of Happyness"), a man faced with the end of the world ("I Am Legend") and an alcoholic superhero trying to get his life back on track ("Hancock"). Not exactly the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. This month Smith takes on another somber role in the film "Seven Pounds,'' where he plays a man desperate for redemption after he makes one tragic mistake that ruins the lives of seven people. The film also stars Rosario Dawson, Woody Harrelson and Connor Cruise, the son of his good friend Tom Cruise (and Nicole Kidman). Smith talked to NEWSWEEK's Allison Samuels.

SAMUELS: " Seven Pounds " is pretty haunting. Why take on a character like that?

SMITH: Usually with the films that I make there are ideas that I connect to, but lately I've been dealing with the bittersweet in life because it feels more natural. You don't ever get it really the way you want in life. That really fascinates me. As an actor there are certain parts of a character that you create, and you train yourself to have those reactions and then it becomes hard to stop them when the role is over. You have to retrain yourself. My character in this film is like hot grits. You know you can't shake them off and when you do, it hurts.

Is your life bittersweet?

Not really, but I love the origins of a story and have always been intrigued with the idea of trauma—emotional trauma and loss. Life is all about death and rebirth and how do we manage to deal with those things when they happen. And not just death in terms of life. You know when you lose your job or your house—that's a death of something that is a part of your life. How do you manage that? What do you do the next day after it happens? How do you go on? With these characters, they've all experienced traumas that have changed their lives. I like that this film shows you the options in life for redemption and finding yourself again.

But you must draw on something for the turmoil you show in the film.

I guess in some ways I think about my grandmother, who died from a stroke a few years ago. I never cried about it and always adopted the attitude that she was in a better place, that it was for the best because of the stroke and how ill she was. I'm sure I drew on that because it gave me permission to feel things that you don't normally or I don't normally like to show. I guess it's healing in that way.

Are you worried the audience won' t join you on this kind of bleak journey?

That's why we've been going to different cities around the country to promote the movie. It's given me a chance to talk to the people and see what they want and what they need. I visited hospitals and other places just to reconnect and hope to do it more before the films. That's one way to stay in sync with my fans.

Your love interest in " Seven Pounds " is Rosario Dawson. Why doesn ' t Hollywood make more African-American love stories?

Hollywood sees green as in dollars, and that's just the bottom line. You have to show them you can make money with your story no matter what color the characters are. Martin Scorsese has proven to Hollywood he can make Italian-American stories that bring in the money, and that's what Hollywood wants to hear. Every time an executive greenlights a film, he's putting his job and his future on the line. I don't think Hollywood is racist, but I do think they work with what they know. And since many of the top studios or people who greenlight features are not familiar with our stories, it's just much easier to go with what they know and not delve into what they don't. I think that's where my responsibility comes in as someone who can make a difference, because I can get my films made and choose the people I want in those films and the stories I want to tell. It really comes down to that. We have to tell our own stories, really.

The school that you and your wife, Jada, opened this year in Calabasas, Calif., the New Village Academy, has gotten a lot of attention, particularly rumors that Scientology will be taught there. Did that upset you?

It was just important to me to put something out there to help kids understand that it all starts right there—in that classroom and with those teachers. I want to be a part of kids figuring out that it is a new time in America and they can be a part of it. I take my citizenship very seriously, and one part of that is service. My grandmother taught me that, and I was happy that President-elect Obama talked about it so much on the campaign trail. Part of the reason the country is where we are now is because many of us aren't doing our part. We need to get back to the help-your-neighbor concept that's just disappeared in the last eight years.

There are also rumors about you being a Scientologist. Jada has spoken about you two studying many religions, including Scientology. So are you a Scientologist?

I love the nature of humanity's search for meaning. For me I'm certain about my relationship with the model of perfection of human life that's laid out with the life of Jesus Christ. I'm certain of that. So I'm at home and not fearful when I sit in a mosque or a synagogue or a Buddhist temple, the same way that I'm home in the Church of Scientology. I like anywhere people are searching for the truth, and I respect their path and I'm intrigued by their path. I think when you are certain in and of what you believe in, you can open your mind to seeing the ways of others. I'm not bothered when someone says "Allah" because they're talking about God—we are talking about the same person. I was in India recently and my hotel was near the Taj Mahal. Five times a day there would be a call for prayer, and it was the most beautiful thing. I was lying in my bed thinking, no matter what your religion is, it would be great to have that reminder five times a day to remember your Lord and savior.

So you 're not a Scientologist?

No, but when people are afraid of religion they have to go back and get in touch with the Good Book. Fear of other religions means you're questioning your own understanding, and that's just not where I am.

You were raised Baptist, right?

Yes, but I grew up in a neighborhood with all religions, and so I'm very used to studying and being around different faiths. So it doesn't bother me to look into different religions. My grandmother raised me to be a do-gooder in the church, that it was about doing what you can to help your community. So whatever religion does that— Jewish, Muslim, Scientology—it's cool because the end result is the same.

You and Tom Cruise are good friends. What is it about him that makes you guys so close?

Tom is one of the most open, honest and helpful people I've met in Hollywood, or really anywhere. I mean, how many people in his position would want me to win, want me to be a bigger and better movie star? Few people in this business want me to win like that. I was so used to competition between other artists that I just didn't get him at first. And then Tom just broke it down to me and said, Will, we are not competing, so don't think that way. That blew my mind because that is not how this business works at all.

No one else gave you that kind of support in all your years in the business?

Well, Eddie Murphy and Bill Cosby reached out and really helped me back in the day, but they were older. Tom is my age, so I really felt there would be some competition between us, but he looks over my scripts and everything. When I did "I Am Legend," I sent him the script, and he sent me back four hours of notes and changes. He did more work on "I Am Legend" than I did. Now we're looking at some projects to work on together because we have that basic understanding of each other.

You talked a lot about what Tom has done for you. What do you do for him?

Well, I hooked Connor up! It's just to have someone who knows what you're dealing with and being able to talk to them and get good advice and know that they mean you the best. I think now I'm mature enough to know how important it is to bounce things off the wall to someone who knows exactly where I'm coming from.

Will Smith Gives Big Money To Scientology!

We all know that Will Smith is a pretty charitable guy.

Posted Image

Recently, he's even been going to hospitals and schools to donate his time and money.

So it's no surprise that Smith, and his beard wife Jada, have given away $1.3 million in donations this last year to a variety of charities.

The tax returns for Smith's charitable foundation show that several donations were made to art groups, hospital, and religious groups.

Smith's biggest single contribution was again to the Yesha Ministries of Philadelphia. The born-again Christian based organization received $250,000 from Smith.

But perhaps the most interesting thing is that Smith donated to the Church of Scientology, giving a combined total of $122,500.

Smith and Jada have also supported that new private school in Los Angeles, New Village Academy, that uses Scientology learning concepts.

Smith denies being directly involved with the "religion." But, as the old saying goes, MONEY TALKS!

http://perezhilton.com/2008-12-17-will-smi...-to-scientology

[image via WENN.]

Will Smith Gives $1.3 Million to Charities

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

By Roger Friedman

Just-released tax returns for movie star Will Smith’s charitable foundation show he and wife, Jada, gave $1.3 million in donations last year to a variety of religious, civic and arts groups.

Smith’s biggest single contribution was, as usual, Yesha Ministries of Philadelphia. He gave the born-again Christian based organization run by Reverend James Robinson a whopping $250,000. That’s a hefty raise from the $140,000 he gave them the previous year. Another $200,000 went to a Christian ministry outside Los Angeles called Living Waters.

He also gave a combined $122,500 to the Church of Scientology, broken into these donations: $67,500 to the New York Rescue Workers Detoxication Fund, $50,000 to the group’s Celebrity Center in Hollywood and $5,000 to ABLE, another Scientology offshoot. Smith and his wife have also supported a private school called New Village Academy they opened this fall in suburban Los Angeles that uses Scientology learning concepts.

The star of movies like “Hancock,” “I Am Legend,” and the upcoming “Seven Pounds” also donated thousands of dollars to a Los Angeles mosque, other Christian-based schools and churches, and to the Yitzhak Rabin Memorial Center in Israel. And though Smith is not featured in “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,” he also sent $25,000 to the Progeria Research Foundation. Progeria is a disease that causes rapid aging.

The newest federal tax filing for the Will Smith Foundation covers 2007, and there is no donation to New Village Academy. So far there is no listing with guidestar.org, the website that tracks charities and not-for-profit institutions, for New Village. That seems odd since it was announced more than a year ago that Smith had given them a $1 million endowment.

It’s the Smiths’ intense and sudden friendship with Tom Cruise over the last couple of years that sparked speculation the superstar couple had joined Scientology. But Smith told me earlier this year he was definitely not a Scientologist. He told "Access Hollywood" some time before that: "I was introduced [to] it by Tom and I’m a student of world religion. I was raised in a Baptist household, I went to a Catholic school, but the ideas of the Bible are 98 percent the same ideas of Scientology, 98 percent the same ideas of Hinduism and Buddhism."

Will Smith tops Forbes.com's bankable stars list

(02-11) 10:16 PST New York (AP) --

Will Smith was voted the most bankable star in Hollywood in a survey of industry professionals by Forbes.com.

The financial magazine's Web site gives the actor a score of 10 out of 10 for his bankability in its first "star currency" list, compiled by surveying more than 150 industry professionals.

Following Smith on the list: Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp and Leonardo DiCaprio, who all tied for second with a score of 9.89. Tom Hanks, George Clooney, Denzel Washington, Matt Damon and Jack Nicholson rounded out the top 10.

Smith's superior box-office clout has been long established. He's known for "owning" the July Fourth weekend box office with films such as "Independence Day" and "Men in Black," and has had few flops.

The 40-year-old actor recently topped the annual poll by Quigley Publishing Co., which has surveyed movie exhibitors since 1932 on which stars generate the most box-office revenue.

The Forbes survey, which acknowledged that it was "subjective," also took into account a star's ability to attract financing for a project. The list was released Tuesday.

Smith's latest film, "Seven Pounds," received terrible reviews, but still earned $70 million at the domestic box office. His summer superhero blockbuster "Hancock" grossed $228 million

Will Smith Wants Role in British Soap

Will Smith is desperate to land a role in popular British soap EastEnders!

The Men in Black star — who is one of Hollywood’s highest-paid actors — became addicted to the BBC show when he visited the UK earlier this year to promote movie Seven Pounds.

“I was just chilling in my hotel and EastEnders was on TV,” Smith told British newspaper newspaper The Sun. “I didn’t even know what it was, but I literally could not stop watching it.

“It was like a week’s worth of episodes in one. Before I knew it, all I had done was get room service and waste a whole afternoon watching this show I’d never heard of!

“It was so real and gritty. American soaps are all about the beautiful people and being cheesy. This soap had everything.

“There was fighting, people sleeping around — it had it all going on! I’m a bit busy but when things quieten down I’d love to do a cameo. I could make a big entrance in the pub, as you guys call it, and be like: ‘Hey, girl let’s take this outside.’ ”

Will, 41, wants to start a campaign to get the soap shown on BBC America once more.

“If the BBC boys are reading this, sort it out, man and start showing it again! Get it back on our TV screens,” he said.

Source showbizspy.com

Will Smith's Dumb Watch

Will Smith has to monitor his "dumbness".

The screen legend - who is presenting the Nobel Peace Prize Concert tomorrow (11.12.09) in Oslo, Norway with his wife Jada Pinkett Smith - has vowed to keep an eye on his stupidity when he's on stage in celebration this year's Nobel Peace Prize laureate Barack Obama.

Will said: "I'm going to have to restrain some of my standard dumbness!"

Despite his successes, Will claims he still hasn't found his place in life and hopes the concert will help him get some perspective.

He said: "You know, once you reach your 40th birthday, the world starts looking a little different. It's really frustrating sometimes, but I just feel like this is the right place to meet people, and as my grandmother used to say, 'Make the world better just because you were there.' "

To stop them getting nervous about the show, the pair plan to pretend they're "in their living room" with friends and not being watched by a star-studded audience and aired in front of millions of viewers.

Jada explained to the USA Today newspaper: "We want to make it seem as though we are hosting very prestigious guests in our living room. We want to be able to just bring some warmth and a little laughter and fun into the programme."

The concert will be held at the Oslo Spektrum venue, and will include performances by Natasha Bedingfield, Wyclef Jean, Donna Summer and Toby Keith.

The couple are due to interview US president Barack Obama today (10.12.09) about his award. This interview will be aired during tomorrow's show.

The concert will be aired in the US early next year.

Source femalefirst

Will Smith Has President Plan

Will Smith wants to be the US President.

His wife Jada Pinkett Smith has revealed her actor husband is seriously considering swapping the big screen for politics and has his eye on one day making it all the way to the White House.

She said: "Will is thinking about going into politics. He once said he could imagine becoming a US president. He wasn't joking, he was quite serious about it."

Although Will can imagine himself replacing Barack Obama as president, Jada isn't bothered about becoming the First Lady.

She added: "It's just not for me." However, Jada does enjoy engaging in politics. She wants the education system in the US reformed and is prepared to campaign for change.

The 'Matrix Reloaded' actress - who raises two children, 11-year-old Jaden and nine-year-old Willow, with Will - told German magazine Bunte: "Will and I want to leave traces on this planet - and with that I mean more important traces than just films."

Jada, 38, and Will, 41, are known for their philanthropic work and set up the Will and Jada Smith Family Foundation, a charity which focuses on helping youths in urban inner cities.

Source femalefirst

Will Smith Has President Plan

Will Smith wants to be the US President.

His wife Jada Pinkett Smith has revealed her actor husband is seriously considering swapping the big screen for politics and has his eye on one day making it all the way to the White House.

She said: "Will is thinking about going into politics. He once said he could imagine becoming a US president. He wasn't joking, he was quite serious about it."

Although Will can imagine himself replacing Barack Obama as president, Jada isn't bothered about becoming the First Lady.

She added: "It's just not for me." However, Jada does enjoy engaging in politics. She wants the education system in the US reformed and is prepared to campaign for change.

The 'Matrix Reloaded' actress - who raises two children, 11-year-old Jaden and nine-year-old Willow, with Will - told German magazine Bunte: "Will and I want to leave traces on this planet - and with that I mean more important traces than just films."

Jada, 38, and Will, 41, are known for their philanthropic work and set up the Will and Jada Smith Family Foundation, a charity which focuses on helping youths in urban inner cities.

Source femalefirst

:rolleyes:

aren't they worried about secrets being revealed if they enter politics?? It seems the dirt always comes out when people run for office. I am sure someone will reveal the "love" house they own and all Will's "male playmates". lollol Jada has secrets too!!

Smith Causes Problems On Wife's TV Show

Will Smith has reportedly caused massive disruptions to his wife's television show.

The Men In Black star, whose wife Jada Pinkett Smith plays a nurse on medical drama HawthoRNe, has allegedly been irritating cast and crew members by turning up with "pages of notes and rewrite requests" every week.

An industry insider told the New York Daily News: "He is not currently shooting a movie, so he's been a constant on the set in recent weeks.

"He's been inserting his input and requesting so many changes to the script that it pushed back the production schedule tremendously and caused everything to spiral out of control. Everyone is praying for him to book a new movie so that he will go away."

Source digitalspy.co.uk

I think a divorce is coming (bolding mine).....

Link

Will And Jada Pinkett Smith Are Selling Their “Estate Of Infinite Love” On The Down Low

August 29, 2013 / Posted by: Michael K

The Guinness World Record for the largest simultaneous dry heave was made two years ago when Will Smith told Architectural Digest that their 25,000 square foot mansion was designed with “no ends, to create an infinite cycle that represented what Jada and I hoped for our love.” More like that monster of a house was made with no budget, to create a symbol for their infinite egos.

Will and Jada Pinkett Smith spent years and zillions of dollars making the perfect little family home on 150 acres in the Santa Monica Mountains near Calabasas, CA. They told AD that every single thing in their house was handmade and they wanted it to be a spiritual retreat for their family. It looks more like a Cost Plus flagship showroom than a “spiritual retreat” to me, but I guess Will and Jada achieved their goal since you can hear the sounds of all the Gods silently weeping as you stroll the infinite halls in the middle of the night.

So after spending at least 4 years building their private little Temple of Xenu, Will and Jada are trying to sell it on the down low. The Real Estalker (via Curbed) says that the Smiths quietly listed their 150-acre compound for $42 million. The house has approximately a million bedrooms, a million bathrooms and a whole lot more. If you’re wondering if it has a black magic room where Will sticks pins into an “Aunt Viv #1“ voodoo doll, the answer is YES! If you’re wondering if it has a mirrored room where Jaden Smith perfects his “constipated smolder” face, the answer is YES! If you’re wondering if it has a circle jerk room, the answer is NO, because the entire house is one big giant circle jerk.

Curbed also says that Will and Jada recently sold their house in Hawaii for $20 million. So what does it all mean?! Here are some theories:

1. LIQUEFYING ASSETS: Bitches are doing it, because they’re getting a divorce.

2. While meditating in their meditation garden, they both realized that they really want to raise goats in Tibet, so they’re selling everything.

3. Their kids told them to sell it and any good Scientologist does what their kids say.

4. One day recently, Will and Jada actually ran into each other while walking through the house. This has never happened before and they never EVER want it to happen again, so they’re going to build a bigger mansion.

It’s totally #4.

Edited by Silliness

Curbed also says that Will and Jada recently sold their house in Hawaii for $20 million. So what does it all mean?! Here are some theories:

While they did sell their home in Hawaii, I wouldn't say "recently". They sold it in December 2011. I know divorces take time, but only if you want them to.

Will & Jada sell Hawaii mansion for $20m.

*I'm not saying they aren't headed for a split, but I don't think selling a house nearly 2 years ago is a clue for it. That's all.

Edited by GovMarley

While they did sell their home in Hawaii, I wouldn't say "recently". They sold it in December 2011. I know divorces take time, but only if you want them to.

Will & Jada sell Hawaii mansion for $20m.

*I'm not saying they aren't headed for a split, but I don't think selling a house nearly 2 years ago is a clue for it. That's all.

Yeah that is some poor journalism. A house sold two years ago isn't really recent.

Exposed: Leaked Photos Show Will Smith In Nude Romp With Sexy Costar — Could This Spell The End Of His 15-Year Marriage?

Posted on Nov 5, 2013 @ 16:05PM | By radarstaff

Will Smith and his Focus co-star, beauty Margot Robbie, got too close at a New Orleans party last month and their salacious photo booth pictures that were meant to stay private, prove it.

According to a bombshell report from Star magazine, the Australian actress nuzzled with Jada Pinkett-Smith‘s hubby behind the curtain of the photo booth, suggestively lifting her shirt and exposing her bra as Will lifted his and pressed his bare chest against her.

“He wasn’t acting like a married man; he gave no signs that he was in a committed relationship,” an eyewitness of the scandalous scene told the magazine.

“What kind of married man would go into a photo booth with a sexy 23-year-old girl and start to undress?”

Jada wasn’t present at the party held on Oct. 25, begging the question: Could this be the final straw in their already troubled marriage?

“When we did our audition together, we had a natural chemistry,” Will previously said of his co-star. “I think it’s going to be a lot of fun.”

After weeks on the New Orleans set together the two got intimately close at the October party in question, the magazine claims.

“Once they pulled the curtain back to take the pictures, they let their inhibitions run wild, laughing, hugging and nuzzling each other in the dark,” the eyewitness said.

“Margot directed Will before each pose. First the ordered him to act like a gangster. Then she covered her face with a masquerade mask and leaned into his chest. Next, she asked Will to take a sexy picture with her, as she pulled up her shirt and exposed her lingerie for Will and the camera.

“They were hanging all over each other, laughing like they were a new couple in love,” the source continued. “Will ha just gotten done working for the day, so he definitely wasn’t intoxicated in any way — he knew what he was doing.”

The scandalous couple didn’t wait for their photos to be printed and Will’s assistant later materialized and confiscated them, Star says.

“Will and Margot never showed up back on set or attended the night’s festivities with the rest of the crew,” the insider revealed.

“After they left the party, they were gone all night.”

To see the shocking and sexy photos of Will and Margot’s photo booth session, pick up the latest issue of Star magazine on newsstands everywhere Thursday.

Will, cheating with a WOMAN? Nu-uh. That was my first thought. Then I went and read Lainey and it was her first thought too ;-)

They were taken in a photo booth and they were f-cking around. But were they really f-cking around? Gossip Cop says that’s how friends do, and that there’s nothing going on between them. I believe it, not because that’s what Will’s publicist says, but because, well, if Will Smith were actually cheating, Margot Robbie doesn’t fit the target description.

http://www.laineygossip.com/Will-Smith-on-...ot-Robbie/28554

Posted Image

PARTY OF FIVE

Rumors? What rumors? Will Smith, wife Jada Pinkett and their happy crew – kids Jaden, 15, Trey, 21, and Willow, 13 – come out in full force to celebrate Trey's birthday Sunday at Hakkasan Las Vegas in the MGM Grand hotel.

They all look pretty bad, save Trey.

Yeah, he's a very good looking kid. Er, man. He's 21 now, right, so it's ok for me to say that? ;-)

Jaden seems to think he has to have his eyebrows up in "quizzical mode" for every single photo taken of him. And it makes me want to smack his smug little face.

Jaden seems to think he has to have his eyebrows up in "quizzical mode" for every single photo taken of him. And it makes me want to smack his smug little face.

Yes. YES.

In this most recent pic above, I think he's probably justified in being quizzical about WTF his mother did to her hair.

• Like 1

http://pagesix.com/2016/01/20/alexis-arquette-claims-will-and-jada-pinkett-smith-are-gay/

Alexis Arquette claims that Will and Jada Pinkett Smith are gay and the “Concussion” actor paid off his first wife after she walked in on him with another man.

“When Jada comes out as gay and her beard husband admits his first marriage ended when she walked in to him … servicing his Sugar Daddy Benny Medina … then I will listen to them,” Arquette wrote in a since-deleted Facebook post on Tuesday, according to the Daily Mail. She later clarified in the comments section, “‘She’ being his FIRST Wife. Paid off, silent.”

Will’s first marriage to Sheree Zampino ended in 1995. They had one child together, Trey Smith. Will married Jada in 1997.

Medina, 57, is known for managing the careers of Jennifer Lopez, Mariah Careyand other megastars.

“Will threw a fit on the set of [‘Six Degrees of Separation’] when he was required by the scene to kiss Anthony Rapp,” Arquette continued. “He persuaded the director to shoot the back of his head in frame. Blocking the non existent lip lock entirely. …him. Gays have enemies. They lurk in gilded closets. Outing is healthy. You are either with or against us. You decide. Today.”

Arquette’s comments come after Jada, 44, announced she was boycotting the Oscarsover the lack of diversity among the nominees. (Will, 47, was not nominated for his role in “Concussion.”)

But Arquette isn’t the only person angry with Will and Jada: Former “Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” actress Janet Hubert also took aim at the couple in a lengthy video this week.

“There’s lots of s–t going on in the world that you all don’t seem to recognize,” Hubert said. “People are dying. Our boys are being shot left and right. People are starving. People are trying to pay bills. And you’re talking about some … actors and Oscars. It’s just ain’t that deep.”

Requests for comment from Will, Jada and Alexis Arquette’s reps were not immediately returned.

Edited by Hoyaheel
  • Like 2