princess

Jada Pinkett-Smith & Will Smith

(Pagesix.com)

STARS TRIUMPHED AND TANKED

December 29, 2007 -- FOR some Hollywood superstars, 2007 was a spectacular year of box-office bravado. For others, it was an embarrassing case of don't ask, don't tell and try to forget.

Dough-faced Nicolas Cage was the year's biggest winner with two colossal seat fillers - the Marvel comics adaptation of "Ghost Rider," which banked $115 million domestically, and "National Treasure: Book of Secrets," which opened Dec. 21 and scooped up $78 million in five days.

Will Smith's easygoing style and good-guy persona couldn't miss. Hot off the success of "The Pursuit of Happyness" and "Hitch," his sci-fi smash "I Am Legend" opened on Dec. 14 and coaxed $160 million out of moviegoers' pockets in 12 days.

Johnny Depp was a huge draw with "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End," capturing $309 million in North America. His new flick, "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street," kicked off with a promising five-day take of $16 million in limited release.

But plenty of superstars need new agents or better scripts. Nicole Kidman's career continued to tailspin with three clunkers: "The Invasion," which cost $80 million to make and earned $15 million in the US, the depressing drama "Margot at the Wedding," which took in a paltry $1.6 million, and "The Golden Compass," which cost $180 million and has pulled in $51 million. The big question is whether she'll be able to maintain her $17 million-$20 million per-picture price tag.

Tom Cruise took a beating. Not only was he dumped by Viacom chief Sumner Redstone, but also his ultradull antiwar picture "Lions for Lambs" (co-starring and directed by Robert Redford) earned an abysmal $15 million domestically.

As for Jennifer Lopez, she'd better stop making pictures with loved ones. She's still ridiculed for "Gigli," her megadud with one-time fiancé Ben Affleck. And she tanked this year with "El Cantante," costarring hubby Marc Anthony. It took in a paltry worldwide gross of just $7.5 million.

Lindsay Lohan's personal life was a disaster - as was her screen career. "Georgia Rule," in which she co-starred with Jane Fonda and Felicity Huffman, fizzled with a pitiable domestic take of $19 million, and her junky horror flick "I Know Who Killed Me" grossed a mere $7.2 million.

'Legend' finishes strong overseas

Will Smith film, 'Compass' top foreign box office

By DAVE MCNARY

Will Smith's "I Am Legend" closed out the year with a bang, leading a robust foreign box office during the final 2007 weekend with $46.1 million in 25 markets.

"Legend" dominated the Brit box office following its Boxing Day launch with $21.8 million at 438 playdates, taking in almost half of the biz for the top five film in an opening that was on par with "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring." Its second French frame declined merely 6% to $7.1 million while its Spanish soph sesh slid 39% to $3 million.

"Legend" also launched in first in Denmark, Israel, Norway, Portugal and South Africa on its way to hitting $117 million in foreign box office cume and $311 million worldwide, combined with the domestic total. With openings still coming in Australia, Germany, Italy and Mexico in coming weeks, the sci-fier should continue to lead the way offshore for several more frames.

But there were plenty of other foreign box office riches to go around as "Golden Compass" remained a stellar performer outside the United States with $34 million at 7,600. The four-week foreign cume has hit $187 million -- over triple its disappointing domestic total of $59 million in a performance underlines international traction for fantasy fare.

"Compass" has attracted $5 million in Australia since its Boxing Day launch on Wednesday. Its four-week Brit cume has hit $41 million, followed by $21 million in South Korea, $18 million in France and $17 million in Germany.

Another quintet of pics -- "National Treasure: Book of Secrets," "Enchanted," "Aliens Vs. Predator: Requiem," "Alvin and the Chipmunks, "Bee Movie" -- combined for another $85 million during the frame. So with the top seven entries totaling $165 million, international box office is ending the year on a decidedly upbeat note.

The six Hollywood majors have seen overall foreign biz jump 9% over 2006 to total $9.4 billion -- led by Warner Bros. at $2.15 billion, followed by Disney at $1.67 billion, Fox at $1.64 billion, Par at $1.6 billion, Sony at $1.27 billion and U at $1.03 billion.

Disney's "National Treasure: Book of Secrets" found significant coin with $21 million at 3,000 in 25 markets for a two-week cume of $60 million. The solid start shows the sequel's on track to top the final $174 million offshore cume for the original "National Treasure."

"Book of Secrets" saw solid launches in Russia with $2.8 million and in Mexico with $2.2 million and excellent second-frame holds elsewhere -- Spain, down 5% to $2.4 million; Italy, up 17% to $2.2 million; Japan, off 29% to $1.9 million; and South Korea, down 23% to $1.8 million.

Disney also conjured up respectable "Enchanted" figures with $20.6 million at 5,304 in 43 markets, giving the family-aimed fantasy a foreign total of $110.7 million -- matching the domestic number. Its fourth Brit frame held nicely, off only 1% to $4.5 million, while its Australian launch looked lively with $3.3 million.

"Enchanted," which has outperfomed studio expectations, also boosted its second frame by 30% in Germany to $2.9 million and its fourth French frame by 5% to $2 million.

Fox saw impressive returns in a counter-programming foray for "Aliens Vs. Predator: Requiem" with $15. 9 million at 1,784 in 20 markets -- a notable $8,910 per location average. Sequel scared up its top takes in Germany with $4.8 million, Australia with $2.8 million, Japan with $2.4 million and Malaysia with $1.2 million in the largest Fox launch ever in that market.

Fox's "Alvin" remained solid rather than spectacular with $13.6 million at 3,608 to lift the kidpic's foreign cume to nearly $38 million. Most of the takings came from soph sesh holdovers, led by the U.K. with $2.7 million and France and Germany with $1.9 million each.

Par's "Bee Movie" buzzed up $13.5 million at 4,904 in 59 markets for a $103 million foreign cume. Toon showed stellar holds with a 12% hike in its third U.K. frame to $2.1 million and a 47% jump in its Italian soph sesh to $1.6 million.

U's "American Gangster" gunned down $6.6 million at 1,935 in 25 territories, raising the foreign cume to $62.6 million in the middle of its run. Half of its take came from the Spanish launch, which topped the second frame of "I Am Legend" with $3.3 million at 439.

Along with "Gangster," several other award season contenders started expanding their runs such as U's "Atonement" with an Aussie launch of $2.6 million at 131 to lift the foreign cume to $36 million from 11 markets. Period drama goes into Brazil, France, Spain and Sweden in two weeks.

Par's "No Country for Old Men" made its first foreign foray with a socko Oz opening of $1 million at only 52. Its "Kite Runner" launched in Blighty with $900,000 at 132, similar to "Motorcycle Diaries."

Fox's co-production of local romancer "Irony of Fate 2" remained a serious player in Russia with $5.2 million at 905 for a two-week cume of $17.5 million. And Sony saw moderate returns its day and date Mexican launch of "The Water Horse" with $1.45 million since Christmas.

‘Hancock’ Movie Poster

Posted Image

I saw a trailer for this and didn't even recognize him until his name came on the screen. Not to sure what to think of the trailer - like so many of his latest movies, the concept is interesting but can they make it work? He plays a Superhero who's career has been trashed. Hey, kinda sounds like his new BFF, Tommy!

I AM LEGEND UPSETS FOOTBALL FANS

WILL SMITH's latest movie I AM LEGEND has infuriated American football fans in New York because of a technical mistake. The movie - which stars Smith as the only man left on earth after a virus wipes out the world's population - features a scene where a headline says the New York City Giants have lost for the second time in the season to the New England Patriots. But moviemistakes.com reports: "This is impossible as the teams are in separate conferences and could never play more than once per year."

contact music

Cruise Scared To Star With Smith?

Tom Cruise refuses to star alongside best friend Will Smith, because he fears he'll be upstaged, according to reports.

The pair are close pals and frequently speak of plans to act together, but sources tell the National Enquirer that Cruise is terrified a collaboration would kill his career.

The insider claims Cruise backs down over every script Smith sends him and never returns the offer.

The source says, "Tom's a great guy, but he sees Will as competition -- a movie like 'I Am Legend' is the kind of role Tom used to get offered first. The feeling is that Tom fears he'll suffer by comparison if he acts alongside Will. He hasn't really worked with another strong male lead since Dustin Hoffman in 'Rain Man.'"

The source insists Smith doesn't care: "He knows how Tom is, and it's not going to end their friendship if they never appear on screen together."

Cruise Scared To Star With Smith?

Tom Cruise refuses to star alongside best friend Will Smith, because he fears he'll be upstaged, according to reports.

The pair are close pals and frequently speak of plans to act together, but sources tell the National Enquirer that Cruise is terrified a collaboration would kill his career.

The insider claims Cruise backs down over every script Smith sends him and never returns the offer.

The source says, "Tom's a great guy, but he sees Will as competition -- a movie like 'I Am Legend' is the kind of role Tom used to get offered first. The feeling is that Tom fears he'll suffer by comparison if he acts alongside Will. He hasn't really worked with another strong male lead since Dustin Hoffman in 'Rain Man.'"

The source insists Smith doesn't care: "He knows how Tom is, and it's not going to end their friendship if they never appear on screen together."

Tommy's stupid ego. He might have a hit if Will stars in a movie with him.

Hitler Story Heil of S**t

A big entertainment news service is beating itself up after it helped spread that whole misconstrued Will Smith-as-Hitler-apologist mishegas.

The World Entertainment News Network issued a formal apology to Smith, saying that the "erroneous and dangerous statement attributed to Will Smith about Adolph HItler being a 'good person' ... was false and misleading." WENN says it takes "full responsibility for the dissemination" of the story and offers Will "a sincere apology" and deeply regrets "the personal stress" caused.

WENN had picked up the misrepresented quote from a Scottish paper, which has yet to retract its report.

tmz

Hitler Story Heil of S**t

A big entertainment news service is beating itself up after it helped spread that whole misconstrued Will Smith-as-Hitler-apologist mishegas.

The World Entertainment News Network issued a formal apology to Smith, saying that the "erroneous and dangerous statement attributed to Will Smith about Adolph HItler being a 'good person' ... was false and misleading." WENN says it takes "full responsibility for the dissemination" of the story and offers Will "a sincere apology" and deeply regrets "the personal stress" caused.

WENN had picked up the misrepresented quote from a Scottish paper, which has yet to retract its report.

tmz

I hope this is true. NOONE could be that stupid as to think what the paper claimed Smith said.

Movie Exhibitors Celebrate Johnny Depp

Top 10 for 2007 also includes Will Smith and George Clooney

For the second straight year, Johnny Depp has topped a key survey naming the industry's most successful stars.

Buoyed by the blockbuster success of "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" ($309 million domestic to-date) (and a bit of late-year chump change for "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" ), Depp has taken the No. 1 spot on Quigley Publishing Company's annual survey of movie exhibitors.

The survey, which dates back to 1932, asks exhibitors to list the 10 stars who generated the most revenue for their theaters. According to media reports, "I Am Legend" star Will Smith finished right behind Depp in second, followed by George Clooney, Matt Damon, Denzel Washington, Russell Crowe, Tom Cruise, Nicolas Cage, Will Ferrell and Tom Hanks.

The exact methodology of the survey is a little unclear, particularly given that several actors on the list -- Cruise and Cage in particular -- starred in 2007 bombs, while the stars of 2007's biggest live-action hits (Tobey Maguire of "Spider-Man 3" and Shia LaBeouf of "Transformers") are absent.

Despite the failure of "Lions for Lambs," of course, Cruise has topped the list seven times, ahead of five-time champs Hanks, Clint Eastwood, Burt Reynolds and Bing Crosby.

This was the first time in 24 years that the exhibitor's Top 10 list failed to include a single actress.

:blink: :( Giving the Gift of Xenu

Of all the stars that Xenu has taken from us, none is more heartbreaking than Will Smith. Who doesn’t love Will Smith? We all love Will Smith. Which is why Xenu and the GMD covet him so.

As you know, Will’s friendship with the GMD, allegedly (according to Andrew Morton) Xenu’s #2, continues to blossom. So much so that Will is now not so subtly promoting the cause.

It is customary for a star to thank crew members when shooting wraps with Wrap Presents. Renee Zellweger is said to be among the most generous Wrap Present givers. Recently, after filming was completed on Hancock, Will’s Wrap Present to the crew, according to the NY Daily News, was a Gift Card “good for a personality test at your local Scientology Centre” where Xenu’s disciples can assess your personality defects and then propose an immediate foolproof cure – for a fee, of course.

Will is giving the gift of Xenu. Praise Thetan, ah-Xenu!

Lainey

I hate bad presents. Yeah it’s the thought that counts, but sometimes a present is the result of a pretty crappy thought. Everyone has that friend or family member who is known for continually giving crappy presents. I had a person who constantly gave me gifts of coffee. This was after I explained that I don’t drink caffeine (on purpose) and I don’t like coffee. I lived in Seattle at the time, a place where coffee is revered as next to Godliness. I explained that not only was my not drinking caffeine a deliberate health decision, but I wanted to be one of the two people in the Pacific Northwest that didn’t waste $5 on bitter or sugared crap. The giver was a coffee addict the likes of which I’d never seen, and apparently saw my decision as a personality flaw on my part. Thus I was forevermore given gifts of beans and grinders, even though I always politely refused coffee in the giver’s presence. As cranky as it made me, I now realize it really wasn’t all that bad. I could work with Will Smith, a multi-millionaire several times over, and be given gifts of free crap. Free Scientology crap. I’m pretty sure I’d then be begging for some coffee, so I could get the temporary energy rush from the caffeine that would then help me to kick Will Smith in the ear.

Big stars traditionally distribute “wrap presents” to crew members after completing a film. His recent gift after wrapping next summer’s comedy “Hancock” was a card good for a personality test at your local Scientology center. Fun! Never mind that such tests are given free by the church anyway. The quiz is designed to convert people to the religion by identifying personality flaws that - surprise! - Scientology can fix right up for you. For a fee, of course.

Smith, who is best buddies with Scientology booster Tom Cruise, has never confirmed that he joined the church. But he told “Access Hollywood” last month: “I was introduced to it by Tom, and I’m a student of world religion. I was raised in a Baptist household. I went to a Catholic school, but the ideas of the Bible are 98% the same ideas of Scientology, 98% the same ideas of Hinduism and Buddhism.”

Presumably the other 2% is the part about the evil space emperor who put the hydrogen bombs in the volcano.

[From Gatecrasher]

I don’t think even Tom Cruise gives presents which are that crappy. He probably gives a lot of Scientology-related garbage, but I’m guessing he also gives something that costs more than… nothing. I think it’s pretty clear that Will Smith is now a Scientologist. I have a hard time believing that someone would give Scientology presents just for the awesomeness of it. I wouldn’t hand out Star of David necklaces just because I think Judaism is cool, nor would give someone a copy of the Book of Mormon because I thought it was a fun read. But I might give you a tiny statue of a fat Buddha, just because he’s freaking adorable. Maybe that’s what’s going on. Maybe Will Smith thinks Scientology is cute as a button. I don’t understand all of his Tom Cruise ass kissing. Will Smith is a major movie star. He doesn’t need to get chummy with wackos to help his career. Which is why I’m pretty sure he must actually be bowing down at Xenu’s feet right now.

celebitchy

Will Smith boosting Scientology

Will Smith has joined the ranks of Hollywood power players actively recruiting for the Church of Scientology.

Big stars traditionally distribute "wrap presents" to crew members after completing a film. His recent gift after wrapping next summer's comedy "Hancock" was a card good for a personality test at your local Scientology center.

Fun!

Never mind that such tests are given free by the church anyway. The quiz is designed to convert people to the religion by identifying personality flaws that - surprise! - Scientology can fix right up for you.

For a fee, of course.

Smith, who is best buddies with Scientology booster Tom Cruise, has never confirmed that he joined the church. But he told "Access Hollywood" last month: "I was introduced to it by Tom, and I'm a student of world religion. I was raised in a Baptist household. I went to a Catholic school, but the ideas of the Bible are 98% the same ideas of Scientology, 98% the same ideas of Hinduism and Buddhism."

Presumably the other 2% is the part about the evil space emperor who put the hydrogen bombs in the volcano.

Smith's rep was traveling with the actor on Tuesday and unavailable for commen

Will Smith has joined the ranks of Hollywood power players actively recruiting for the Church of Scientology.

Big stars traditionally distribute "wrap presents" to crew members after completing a film. His recent gift after wrapping next summer's comedy "Hancock" was a card good for a personality test at your local Scientology center.

Fun!

Never mind that such tests are given free by the church anyway. The quiz is designed to convert people to the religion by identifying personality flaws that - surprise! - Scientology can fix right up for you.

For a fee, of course.

Smith, who is best buddies with Scientology booster Tom Cruise, has never confirmed that he joined the church. But he told "Access Hollywood" last month: "I was introduced to it by Tom, and I'm a student of world religion. I was raised in a Baptist household. I went to a Catholic school, but the ideas of the Bible are 98% the same ideas of Scientology, 98% the same ideas of Hinduism and Buddhism."

They got another one. :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

This makes me incredibly sad. A closeted gay/beard or not, I really like him. He seems to have so much more common sense than this; wonder how they snared him?

Fun!

For a fee, of course.

And they lost another one...I'm done seeing his movies.

This makes me incredibly sad. A closeted gay/beard or not, I really like him. He seems to have so much more common sense than this; wonder how they snared him?

They were probably trying to blackmail him and he was possibly resisting. That could explain why Tommy Girl showed up at Will's premiere and thing at the Chinese theatre. It's like a constant reminder that they can and will be wherever they want to be - a show of power by Tommy to Will. I'm very very sad for him. Anybody who goes through their auditing and tells anything truthful is just plain stupid IMO. Then again, they could have made a bunch of stuff up, OR they could have followed Will or Jada or both to get stuff on them and then use blackmail. Unfortunately, I believe that's exactly how the Scientology CULT works.

Fun!

For a fee, of course.

And they lost another one...I'm done seeing his movies.

*lol* I would love to find Scientology's celebrity "vault o' blackmail." I just imagine they have all sorts of dirt on these celebrity "converts" hidden deep somewhere in their Celebrity Center.

I also am done with his movies.

If I'm boycotting an actor, is there a time I can watch their movie and not have the numbers reflect well for him? Like, if Men in Black pops up on cable this weekend and I watch it, should I feel guilty?

I haven't seen any movie in a theater in years, and not even that many rented dvds (esp. not Tommy Girl) But what about cable??? Is that "allowed"?? :unsure:

Yeah, very sad if true but I'm going to hold back a bit and see what happens. Stories have been run before that have had to be retracted so I'm just 'watch this space' at the moment. Or, 'watch the sky', whichever.

WB, Paramount dominate Saturns

'300,' 'Harry Potter' lead the way

By DAVID S. COHEN

Warner Bros. and Paramount dominated feature film nominations for the the 34th annual Saturn Awards.

Warners scored 23 noms, most of any studio, and its Frank Miller sword-and-sandal epid "300" led all films with 10 noms. "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," also from Warner, had nine noms.

Par had 22 noms, including noms for Daniel Day-Lewis for actor, a pair of noms for "Cloverfield" and another pair for "Tranformers."

In TV, "Lost" led with seven noms, "Dexter" nabbed five and "Heroes" had four.

And the nominees are:

FILM

Science Fiction Film

"Cloverfield" (Paramount)

"Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer" (20th Century Fox)

"I Am Legend" (Warner Bros.)

"The Last Mimzy" (New Line Cinema)

"Sunshine" (Fox Searchlight)

"Transformers" (DreamWorks SKG / Paramount)

Fantasy Film

"Enchanted" (Buena Vista)

"The Golden Compass" (New Line Cinema)

"Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" (Warner Bros.)

"Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End" (Buena Vista)

"Spider-Man 3" (Sony)

"Stardust" (Paramount)

Horror Film

"30 Days of Night" (Sony)

"1408" (The Weinstein Co.)

"Ghost Rider" (Sony)

"Grindhouse" (The Weinstein Co.)

"The Mist" (The Weinstein Co.)

"Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" (DreamWorks SKG / Paramount)

Action / Adventure / Thriller Film

"3:10 to Yuma" (Lionsgate)

"300" (Warner Bros.)

"The Bourne Ultimatum" (Universal)

"Live Free or Die Hard" (20th Century Fox)

"No Country for Old Men" (Miramax)

"There Will Be Blood" (Paramount Vantage)

"Zodiac" (Paramount)

Actor

Gerard Butler ("300") (Warner Bros.)

John Cusack ("1408") (The Weinstein Co.)

Daniel Day-Lewis ("There Will Be Blood") (Paramount Vantage)

Johnny Depp ("Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street") (DreamWorks SKG / Paramount)

Viggo Mortensen ("Eastern Promises") (Focus Features)

Will Smith ("I Am Legend") (Warner Bros.)

Actress

Amy Adams ("Enchanted") (Buena Vista)

Ashley Judd ("Bug") (Lionsgate)

Helena Bonham Carter ("Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street") (DreamWorks SKG / Paramount)

Naomi Watts ("Eastern Promises") (Focus Features)

Belen Rueda ("The Orphanage") (Picturehouse)

Carice van Houten ("Black Book") (Sony Pictures Classics)

Best Supporting Actor

Javier Bardem ("No Country for Old Men") (Miramax)

Ben Foster ("3:10 to Yuma") (Lionsgate)

James Franco ("Spider-Man 3") (Sony)

Justin Long ("Live Free or Die Hard") (20th Century Fox)

Alan Rickman ("Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street") (DreamWorks SKG / Paramount)

David Wenham ("300") (Warner Bros.)

Supporting Actress

Lizzy Caplan ("Cloverfield") (Paramount)

Marcia Gay Harden ("The Mist") (The Weinstein Co.)

Lena Headey ("300") (Warner Bros.)

Rose McGowan ("Grindhouse" - "Planet Terror") (The Weinstein Co.)

Michelle Pfeiffer ("Stardust") (Paramount)

Imelda Staunton ("Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix") (Warner Bros.)

Performance by a Younger Actor

Alex Etel ("The Water Horse") (Sony)

Freddie Highmore ("August Rush") (Warner Bros.)

Josh Hutcherson ("Bridge to Terabithia") (Buena Vista)

Daniel Radcliffe ("Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix") (Warner Bros.)

Dakota Blue Richards ("The Golden Compass") (New Line Cinema)

Rhiannon Leigh Wryn ("The Last Mimzy") (New Line Cinema)

Direction

Tim Burton ("Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street") (DreamWorks SKG / Paramount)

Frank Darabont ("The Mist") (The Weinstein Co.)

Paul Greengrass ("The Bourne Ultimatum") (Universal)

Sam Raimi ("Spider-Man 3") (Sony)

Zack Snyder ("300") (Warner Bros.)

David Yates ("Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix") (Warner Bros.)

Writing

Roger Avary, Neil Gaiman ("Beowulf") (Paramount)

Brad Bird ("Ratatouille") (Buena Vista)

Joel Coen, Ethan Coen ("No Country for Old Men") (Miramax)

Michael Goldenberg ("Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix") (Warner Bros.)

Michael Gordon, Zack Snyder, Kurt Johnstad ("300") (Warner Bros.)

John Logan ("Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street") (DreamWorks SKG / Paramount)

Music

Tyler Bates ("300") (Warner Bros.)

Jonny Greenwood ("There Will Be Blood") (Paramount Vantage)

Nicholas Hooper ("Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix") (Warner Bros.)

Mark Mancina ("August Rush") (Warner Bros.)

Alan Menken ("Enchanted") (Buena Vista)

John Powell ("The Bourne Ultimatum") (Universal)

Best Costume

Colleen Atwood ("Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street") (DreamWorks SKG / Paramount)

Ruth Myers ("The Golden Compass") (New Line Cinema)

Penny Rose ("Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End") (Buena Vista)

Sammy Sheldon ("Stardust") (Paramount)

Jany Temime ("Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix") (Warner Bros.)

Michael Wilkinson ("300") (Warner Bros.)

Make-Up

Howard Berger, Greg Nicotero, Jake Garber - ("Grindhouse" - "Planet Terror") (The Weinstein Co.)

Nick Dudman, Amanda Knight - ("Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix") (Warner Bros.)

Davina Lamont - ("30 Days of Night") (Sony)

Ve Neill, Martin Samuel - ("Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End") (Buena Vista)

Peter Owen, Ivana Primorac - ("Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street") (DreamWorks SKG / Paramount)

Shaun Smith, Mark Rappaport - ("300") (Warner Bros.)

Special Effects

Tim Burke, John Richardson, Paul Franklin, Greg Butler - ("Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix") (Warner Bros.)

Scott Farrar, Scott Benza, Russell Earl, John Frazier - ("Transformers") (DreamWorks SKG / Paramount)

Michael Fink, Bill Westenhofer, Ben Morris, Trevor Wood - ("The Golden Compass") (New Line Cinema)

John Knoll, Hal Hickel, Charles Gibson, John Frazier - ("Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End") (Buena Vista)

Scott Stokdyk, Peter Nofz, Spencer Cook, John R. Frazier - ("Spider-Man 3") (Sony)

Chris Watts, Grant Freckelton, Derek Wentworth, Daniel Leduc - ("300") (Warner Bros.)

International Film

"Black Book" (Sony Pictures Classics)

"Day Watch" (Fox Searchlight)

"Eastern Promises" (Focus Features)

"Goya’s Ghosts" (Samuel Goldwyn Films)

"The Orphanage" (Picturehouse)

"Sleuth" (Sony Pictures Classics)

Animated Film

"Beowulf" (Paramount)

"Meet the Robinsons" (Buena Vista)

"Ratatouille" (Buena Vista)

"Shrek the Third" (DreamWorks SKG / Paramount)

"The Simpsons Movie" (20th Century Fox)

"Surf’s Up" (Sony)

TELEVISION NOMINATIONS

Network Television Series

"Heroes" (NBC)

"Journeyman" (NBC)

"Lost" (ABC)

"Pushing Daisies" (ABC)

"Supernatural" (CW)

"Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles" (Fox)

Syndicated / Cable Television Series

"Battlestar Galactica" (Sci Fi Channel)

"The Closer" (TNT)

"Dexter" (Showtime)

"Kyle XY" (ABC Family)

"Saving Grace" (TNT)

"Stargate SG-1" (Sci Fi Channel / MGM)

Presentation on Television

"Battlestar Galactica: Razor" (Sci Fi Channel)

"The Company" (TNT)

"Fallen" (ABC Family)

"The Family Guy" - "Blue Harvest" (Fox)

"Masters of Science Fiction" (ABC)

"Shrek the Halls" (ABC)

"Tin Man" (Sci Fi Channel)

International Series

"Doctor Who" (Sci Fi Channel)

"Jekyll" (BBC America)

"Life On Mars" (BBC America)

"Meadowlands" (aka "Cape Wrath") (Showtime)

"Robin Hood" (BBC America)

"Torchwood" (BBC America)

Actor on Television

Matt Dallas ("Kyle XY") (ABC Family)

Matthew Fox ("Lost") (ABC)

Michael C. Hall ("Dexter") (Showtime)

Kevin McKidd ("Journeyman") (NBC)

Edward James Olmos ("Battlestar Galactica") (Sci Fi Channel)

Lee Pace ("Pushing Daisies") (ABC)

Best Actress on Television

Anna Friel ("Pushing Daisies") (ABC)

Lena Headey ("Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles") (Fox)

Jennifer Love Hewitt("Ghost Whisperer") (CBS)

Holly Hunter ("Saving Grace") (TNT)

Evangeline Lily ("Lost") (ABC)

Kyra Sedgwick ("The Closer") (TNT)

Supporting Actor on Television

Michael Emerson ("Lost") (ABC)

Greg Grunberg ("Heroes") (NBC)

Josh Holloway ("Lost") (ABC)

Erik King ("Dexter") (Showtime)

Terry O’Quinn ("Lost") (ABC)

Masi Oka ("Heroes") (NBC)

Supporting Actress on Television

Jaime Alexander ("Kyle XY") (ABC Family)

Jennifer Carpenter ("Dexter") (Showtime)

Summer Glau ("Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles") (Fox)

Elizabeth Mitchell ("Lost") (ABC)

Jaime Murray ("Dexter") (Showtime)

Hayden Panettiere ("Heroes") (NBC)

DVD NOMINATIONS

Best DVD Release

"Behind The Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon" (Starz / Anchor Bay)

"The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari" (remix) (Image)

"Driftwood" (Image)

"The Man From Earth" (Anchor Bay)

"The Nines" (Sony)

"White Noise 2" (Universal)

Best Special Edition DVD Release

"Big" (Extended Edition) (Fox)

"Blade Runner" (5 Disc Ultimate Collector’s Edition) (Warner)

"Close Encounters of the Third Kind" (30th Anniversary - Blu Ray) (Sony)

"Death Proof" (Grindhouse Presentation: Extended & Unrated) (Genius)

"Pan’s Labyrinth" (Platinum Series) (New Line)

"Troy: Director’s Cut" (Ultimate Collector’s Edition) (Warner)

Classic Film DVD Release

"Alligator" (Lionsgate)

"The Dark Crystal" (Sony)

"Face/Off" (Paramount)

"Flash Gordon" (Universal)

"The Monster Squad" (Lionsgate)

"Witchfinder General" (MGM)

Collection on DVD

"The Godzilla Collection" (Classic Media)

"The Mario Bava Collection" (Vol. 1 & 2) (Anchor Bay)

"The Sergio Leone Anthology" (MGM)

"The Sonny Chiba Collection" (BCI / Eclipse)

"Stanley Kubrick" (Warner Home Video Directors Series) (Warner)

"Vincent Price" (MGM Scream Legends Collection) (MGM)

Best Television Series on DVD

"Eureka" (Season 1) (Universal)

"Heroes" (Season 1) (Universal)

"Hustle" (Complete Seasons 2 and 3) (BBC Warner)

"Lost" (The Complete Third Season) (Buena Vista)

"MI:5" (Volumes 4 & 5) (BBC Warner)

"Planet Earth: The Complete BBC Series" (BBC Warner)

Retro Television Series on DVD

"The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones" (Volume 1: The Early Years) (Paramount)

"Count Dracula" (BBC Mini-series 1977) (BBC Warner)

"Land of the Giants" (The Full Series) (Fox)

"Mission Impossible" (The Second and Third Seasons) (Paramount)

"Twin Peaks" (The Definitive Gold Box Edition) (Paramount)

"The Wild Wild West" (The Second and Third Seasons) (Paramount)

SPECIAL AWARD RECIPIENTS

THE GEORGE PAL MEMORIAL AWARD:

Guillermo del Toro

THE SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARD:

Tim Lucas

Will Smith wins damages over Hitler claim

Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:42pm EST

By Andrew Hough

LONDON (Reuters) - Will Smith won an apology and undisclosed damages in a London court on Friday over a false claim that he had described World War Two Nazi leader Adolf Hitler as a "good person".

The Oscar-nominated star, one of the world's most popular and highly paid actors, was left deeply distressed and acutely embarrassed over the wrong story published by an entertainment newswire service, the High Court heard.

Smith's comments, originally published in the Scottish Daily Record newspaper, were then "wholly misrepresented" by the London-based World Entertainment News Network (WENN), Judge David Eady was told.

The agency, which says on its website that it provides information to more than 1,000 media outlets in 25 countries, picked up the interview and then wrongly published worldwide a story headlined "Smith: Hitler was a good person".

"The article alleged (Smith) had declared in an interview that Nazi dictator Adolf Hitler was a good person," Smith's lawyer Rachel Atkins told the court.

"It wholly misrepresents (his) actual words."

She said Smith, also a Grammy-winning rapper who was not in court, actually thought Hitler was "vile and heinous".

"The allegations that he could think otherwise is deeply distressing...and has caused him acute embarrassment," she said.

WENN retracted the story and issued a correction and an apology, but no media published it, leaving the libel "at large", Atkins said.

She said the undisclosed compensation WENN had agreed to pay would be donated to an unnamed charity. It also will meet his legal costs.

John Melville Smith, defending WENN, said his client apologized for the story, which they now admitted was wrong.

"(WENN) offers its apologies to (Smith) for any distress and embarrassment caused by this article," he told the court.

"(It) accepts that the allegations concerning (him) were misleading and published in error."

Smith has starred in several Hollywood blockbusters including "Men In Black", "Independence Day" and "The Pursuit of Happyness", which earned him a second Academy Award nomination.