Sign in to follow this  
princess

FAQ: How to Post A Picture

TO POST A PICTURE YOU FOUND ON ANOTHER WEBSITE:

You'll need to get the Image Location (or URL) of the picture. There are a number of ways to do this:

Simply right click over the image and select "Copy Image Location". You can also right click and select "Open Image in a New Window", and when the new window opens you can highlight and copy the URL address.

Right click and select "Properties", then select the URL of the image

The Image Location or URL will look something like this:

http://www.fanchitchat.com/miscimages/smilemonkey.gif

Then go to ChitChat and in your new post you'll paste that location in between these two tags (without the spaces):

[ i m g ] [ / i m g ]

So you it looks like (again, without the spaces)

[ i m g ] http://www.fanchitchat.com/miscimages/smilemonkey.gif [ / i m g ]

And you'll get

Posted Image

Ta da!!

TO POST A PICTURE THAT IS CURRENTLY ON YOUR COMPUTER:

This is a bit trickier. You'll need to put the picture file that is on your computer onto a free website so they'll "host" your picture and you can use their URL. The one I use is www.webshots.com - it's totally free. Go to that site and set up your account. Make sure when you set it up you have your pictures "open to public" so the rest of us can see it.

Once you have your webshots account set up:

- From your webshots home page, click on "Add New Album", then fill out the spaces (like name, category, etc.) and click okay.

- After you've clicked "okay", you'll see a button that says "browse". Click it, then find the picture on your computer and click "okay". You'll see the name of your picture in the little text box, click "Upload" button that's to the right of it.

- It will ask you to give your picture a title, call it whatever you want, then click "okay".

- You'll be shown a thumbnail size of your picture (thumbnail = little picture). Click "view" button just underneath it to make it bigger. Once the bigger size comes up, you'll want to right click and select "Copy Image Location". Now follow the same instructions above to past that Image Location in between the [ i m g ] tags!

If anyone has any other image hosting sites they can recommend, feel free to post them below!

Edited by princess

Are some images not able to be posted? I am trying to follow the above directions to grab a picture from a website, but when I right click the copy image location and the open image in a new window options are not available. (They are grey while most options are black.) Thanks!

Are some images not able to be posted? I am trying to follow the above directions to grab a picture from a website, but when I right click the copy image location and the open image in a new window options are not available. (They are grey while most options are black.) Thanks!

Yeah, it might be the website trying to stop people from copying it's images. You can try selecting all...and copying, then opening the image in a blank email and then copy the image by itself. ;)

Just glad that not only are the FAQs useful, but members are always willing to help out too when there are questions. :)

So, now (new board software?) there is an option to attach a file/upload. I tried to upload a photo from my computer (I resized so it's small...) but it won't load. Does that not work - I still need to have it hosted somewhere?

2 hours ago, Hoyaheel said:

So, now (new board software?) there is an option to attach a file/upload. I tried to upload a photo from my computer (I resized so it's small...) but it won't load. Does that not work - I still need to have it hosted somewhere?

As Moderator, you can.  Do you see the link under the text box you are writing your comment in?  Has little paper clip and then says:

Drag files here to attach, or choose files...

Yeah, that's what I mean. I keep trying to upload (I want to start a new thread in Open Forum about where we've been spending time in quarantine) but I keep getting an upload error. There isn't info about why - I don't know if my file is still too large or I don't have privileges I'm that forum or if it's something else. Thanks!