princess

Fashion Industry News

Gwen's Got a Brand New Bag

Posted Sep 2nd 2006 8:00AM by TMZ Staff

Filed under: Fall Fashions

Gwen Stefani teamed up with Le SportSac creator Tim Schifter to create a new wave of purses titled "The L.A.M.B. Love Collection." The trend-setting star unveiled her 33 purses to a small group of retailers and editors in New York last Thursday .

The purses are inspired by the trunks her band uses while on tour, and Gwen's love of rasta colors and old English lettering weave their way through the entire collection, as seen on Fashion Week Daily. Naturally, the bags are super-cool, but unfortunately pretty pricey as well at $300-$700 a pop.

TMZ

Posted Image

LABELS FOR LESS

Page Six

September 2, 2006 -- THE fashion copycats work with the speed of lightning in this town. Just three days after Evangeline Lilly, Eva Longoria, Felicity Huffman and Julia Louis-Dreyfus wore stunning gowns by Versace, Jason Wu, Monique Lhullier and Narciso Rodriguez at the Emmy Awards, New York designer Faviana has created knockoffs of each. "We rock around the clock to render designer bling on a budget," crowed Faviana principal Omid Moradi. "They'll be in stores next spring for under $300."

Video Music Awards 2006: Fashion

Jennifer Lopez in a gold lame Biba by Bella Freud minidress and head wrap paired with over-the-knee Versace boots and vintage Fred Leighton diamonds.

Posted Image

---

Paris Hilton in a tulle-laden white dress by Julien Macdonald, Chanel gloves and earings, paired with black ankle boots by Christian Louboutin.

Posted Image

--

Jessica Simpson in a vintage Azzedine Alaia black mini dress.

Posted Image

---

Beyonce in a dazzling Versace Atelier gown and Lorraine Schwartz diamonds.

Posted Image

---

Justin Timberlake in a YSL three-piece suit and striped shirt.

Posted Image

---

Christina Aguilera in a beaded Versace gown and a $550,000 Lorraine Schwartz diamond necklace.

Posted Image

---

Shakira in a black ruffled Tadashi gown with a long Erickson Beaman necklace and loose curls.

Posted Image

---

Nicole Richie in a form-fitting cream crocheted Ralph Lauren gown and intricate necklace.

Posted Image

---

Diddy in a sharp silver and black Emanuelle Ungaro Homme suit.

Posted Image

---

Fergie in a cream Max Azria Atelier mini and satin headband.

Posted Image

---

Rihanna in a sequined D&G minidress, sky-high heels and H. Stern diamonds.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I thought she looked awful. That outfit made her look chubby onstage (which she is not). Not a good look for her.

I agree. I was wondering, since she has looked so crappy lately, if she fired her fashion consultant.

Posted Image

US quoted her as saying that she usually goes for the 50's look and this time she wanted something that acceuntuated her hips and butt. Well, she achieved that goal! :wacko:

I was just glad JLH wasn't wearing some 1950s-style dress again. She wears the same Sandra Dee silhouette every frigging time I am so frigging tired of it. I don't mind that she's showing she's got a bit of the badonkadonk - I'll take it over a frigging poodle skirt...

Gunn dishes on 'Project Runway,' fashion week

"The Most" talks to Gunn about fashion hits, misses and the next 'Runway'

MSNBC.com

Updated: 2 hours, 42 minutes ago

Olympus Fashion Week kicks off at Bryant Park in New York City this Friday.

We at MSNBC’s “The Most” might not know a Louboutin from a Thom McCann, but we sure love "Project Runway," so Fashion Week was a great excuse to talk to the super fantastic and adorable Tim Gunn.

He’s the den father on "Runway" and has made “Make it Work” the “One Day at a Time” of the reality show generation. Tim is also the chair of the fashion department at Parsons School of Design.

‘The Most’: What will we see at this these shows that the average person can take away?

Gunn: There’s really something for everyone. If you like your flared skirt and it’s you, don’t discard it. I like to tell people to be positive about fashion and if you like it, you’ll feel good about wearing it and it’ll show.

‘The Most’: What trends surprised you the most?

Gunn: Black is the new black for spring, we’ll see how it’ll be pulled off. It’s a staple for winter. I’m sure it’ll be accented with lots of color.

New York has always been the leader in fashion, even in the international world. Things have changed. Europe never really paid attention in the past to what NYC fashion was doing. They did their own thing. Now they are making adjustments to their pieces based on what they see from New York.

‘The Most’: You are suddenly a fashion icon, yourself. How are you dealing with the fame?

Gunn: You’re too kind. NBC has been very nice to me and allowed me to be part of the Emmy coverage and it was lots of fun. I pretty much stay true to myself and try to find the good in people and not be snarky. I’m the more serious guy, I guess.

‘The Most’: Let’s dish. Who gets it right when it comes to red carpet looks?

Gunn: Angie Jolie. Day in and day out, whether she’s sporty or evening wear, she always gets it right. She understands the event and dresses accordingly. Kate Hudson is another person who knows how to read the event. She’s a little more edgy and daring with her fashion. She takes risks but she is always right-on.

‘The Most’: You are being way too nice. Who’s a train wreck?

Gunn: Courtney Love and Kelly Osborne. Generally the music industry is a little out there, but, clearly, these ladies dress like they are on a float in a parade. They push the limits a little too far and it’s unappealing, even in the ‘edgy’ world. They don’t get it.

‘The Most’: The winner of season one, Jay McCarroll, is showing his new duds at this fashion week. Will he be well received?

Gunn: Jay is an outstanding designer and will do very well. I have no idea what he’s showing. It’ll be a surprised to me, and I can’t wait. What I do know is he’ll be showing both men and women’s designs.

‘The Most’: Thank God Vincent’s gone. That was SO totally overdo, Tim. Who gets the ax next? Spill the beans.

Gunn: What I can tell you is you’ll see very different points of view from each designer this next episode. It’ll be very interesting.

Mix & match at Fashion Rocks

All eyes were on Denise Richards and Richie Sambora as they made their red-carpet debut as a couple at Thursday night's celeb-soaked Fashion Rocks concert.

Richards gave every appearance of being in the driver's seat of the relationship as the couple negotiated throngs of media and fans at the Fashion Week kickoff.

Christina Aguilera demonstrated a look that could reverse global warming when a hapless minder stepped on the train of her Elie Saab gown as she was approaching a Style Network crew.

Inside, a member of the Bon Jovi camp was overheard saying the group agreed to perform a song because Conde Nast lured them with a $1 million payday. (A rep for Conde Nast later declined to comment on "business relationships with talent.")

Other acts included Elton John, the Scissor Sisters, Black Eyed Peas, Rihanna, Jay-Z, Beyoncé, Nelly Furtado, Timbaland and Jamie Foxx.

Less warmly received was Drea de Matteo, booed by the audience after flubbing her TelePrompTer lines a fourth time, causing even more reshoot delays.

Faith Hill delivered what some swear was a "Basic Instinct" moment when her Zac Posen dress slid up during a seated duet with husband Tim McGraw. Needless to say, that angle didn't make it onto last night's CBS broadcast of the concert.

Later, Gatecrasher dispatched comely reporter Laura Schreffler to interview 30 Seconds to Mars front man Jared Leto - but perhaps she was a little too comely.

"You know what, I don't think I want to talk. I think I'd rather hug," he told her. "Come on, give me a hug."

So they did, and, well, that was the end of the interview.

Madrid bans too-thin models from catwalk Fri Sep 8, 10:30 AM ET

MADRID (AFP) - Excessively skinny fashion models will be barred from a major Madrid fashion show later this month for fear they could send the wrong message to young Spanish girls, local media reported.

Madrid's regional government, which is co-financing the Pasarela Cibeles, has vetoed around a third of the models who took part in last year's show because they weigh too little.

The authorities collaborated with a Spanish health organisation to come up with a minumum body mass -- a height-weight ratio -- of 18 for the models.

Spanish daily ABC said it was the first time such restrictions had been imposed on a fashion show, although a recent wedding dress exhibition in Barcelona banned fashion models who took a dress size below 38 (British size 10, US size eight).

Several models at last year's show provoked a row when they claimed their careers would be under threat if they put on weight.

Organisers said they wanted to "help ensure public opinion does not associate fashion, and fashion shows in particular, with an increase in anorexia, a disease which, along with bulimia, is considered ... as a mental and behavioural problem".

The event will take place on September 18-22.

BobbyD, I read this same article, and while it sounds like the socially responsible thing to do, never mind that it will generate excellent publicity for the event, it just seems like lip service to me.

I am moving to Barcelona, and when I went to visit there a month or so ago, I saw virtually NO overweight people. Like much of Europe, they walk too much, smoke too much, and are VERY concerned with their figure/weight. Someone else I talked to said Spanish women would actually tell her (a size 8 or 10) to eat less as she was having a breakfast of coffee and fruit or something.

So somehow I don't think this minimum size thing is going to catch hold in the modeling and fashion world.

BobbyD, I read this same article, and while it sounds like the socially responsible thing to do, never mind that it will generate excellent publicity for the event, it just seems like lip service to me.

I am moving to Barcelona, and when I went to visit there a month or so ago, I saw virtually NO overweight people. Like much of Europe, they walk too much, smoke too much, and are VERY concerned with their figure/weight. Someone else I talked to said Spanish women would actually tell her (a size 8 or 10) to eat less as she was having a breakfast of coffee and fruit or something.

So somehow I don't think this minimum size thing is going to catch hold in the modeling and fashion world.

I totally agree...I am planning a trip to Ibiza next year, LOL! after I recover from Brazil. Enjoy Barcelona!

Here's another from AOL news

Spanish Fashion Show Rejects Skinny Models

MADRID, Spain (Sept. 9) - Spain's top fashion show has turned away a slew of models on grounds they are too skinny - an unprecedented swipe at body images blamed for encouraging eating disorders among young people.

Organizers of the pageant, known as the Pasarela Cibeles, used a mathematical formula to calculate the models' body mass index - a measure of their weight in relation to their height - and 30 percent of the women flunked, said the Association of Fashion Designers of Spain.

The association said Friday it wanted models at the show running from Sept. 18-22 to project "an image of beauty and health" and shun a gaunt, emaciated look.

The decision was made as part of a voluntary agreement with the Madrid regional government, said Jesus del Pozo, a designer who is part of the association, said Thursday.

Last year's show, also called Madrid Fashion Week, drew protests from medical associations and women's advocacy groups because some of the models were positively bone-thin.

This time the Madrid regional government decided to intervene and pressure organizers to hire fuller-figured women as role models for young girls obsessed with being thin and prone to starving themselves into sickness, said Concha Guerra, deputy finance minister of the regional administration.

Fashion shows, Guerra said, "are mirrors for many young women."

Del Pozo said this was the first time skinny models have been snubbed at a major international fashion show.

Ryan Brown, director of marketing and public relations in North America for the Elite modeling agency in New York City, agreed. "It is very unprecedented," said Brown, who has nothing to do with the Spanish show.

He welcomed the decision saying "I think it is great to promote health."

Madrid's show, which features mainly Spanish designers, is not as prestigious as catwalks in Paris or Milan but "it is not at the bottom of the pile," he said.

The impact of rejecting skinny women would have been greater at those other glitzier venues. Still, he said, "I am sure the industry is taking note."

The body mass index is a tool for doctors who study obesity. It is calculated by dividing weight in pounds by height in inches squared, and multiplying that total by 703.

If the resulting number is between 18.5 and 24.9, the person's weight is normal. Below 18.5 they are underweight. In the case of the Madrid show, organizers rejected women with indices under 18.

Brown of the Elite agency said fashion shows reflect the tastes of clothing designers, who for now prefer the Kate Moss look as opposed to the curvier dimensions of models such as Cindy Crawford in years past.

"They don't want voluptuous girls any more," he said. "It would be nice if fashion got back to that."

DKNY, Lacoste, cover ground at Fashion Week

Fashion shows try to offer something for everyone

Associated Press

Updated: 11:26 p.m. ET Sept 10, 2006

NEW YORK - Fashion has become a more democratic industry, trying to offer something for everyone. The spring styles previewed so far at New York Fashion Week have targeted pretty young things, working girls, dancing divas and, occasionally, regular women.

The designer runway shows, which opened Friday, continue through the week, so socialites are still waiting for their cues from Oscar de la Renta, country clubbers from Ralph Lauren and the chicettes from Marc Jacobs.

DKNY: Donna Karan always says that this line is influenced by the things she sees around her each and every day in New York, so it makes sense that the collection previewed Sunday mixed athleticwear with club couture and office clothes with knock-around weekend outfits. Hemlines were either really short or really long, some tops were slouchy and loose while others were fitted and cropped. The palette ranged from deep purple to mustard yellow, also signaling that Karan watches the people in this city — they’re not big on pastels, even in the springtime.

“New York isn’t one thing, it’s everything,” Karan said in her notes.

A short wrap trench coat in poppy red was the right mix of sassy and serious for a working girl ready to be noticed. Underneath it she could wear the trousers that sat on the natural waist and had wide legs and wide cuffs at the bottom — a welcome item after a fall full of hard-to-wear, high-waisted, skinny-leg pants.

Accordian-pleat A-line skirts that flashed bright color linings and a band of gold around the hem might help entice that same young woman out of bed on a dreary Sunday. If the weather took a further turn for the worse, she could pull out a royal blue, trapeze-shape parka.

That said, it’s hard to picture such a style-savvy woman, in a style-savvy city, wearing a flashy sequined baseball jersey with DKNY across the front. And the jury is still out on the hiking platform sandals with high-heel wedges for heels.

Tracy Reese: Tracy Reese is known for ladylike dresses. With this collection, though, Reese proved that ladylike doesn’t have to mean stiff.

Between the tango dancers she featured on the catwalk Sunday were models in bouncy bubble-hem dresses and other fluid frocks with names such as “fly away” and “free.” A loose shift in sheer black that puckered like seersucker was youthful and modern, while a blouson, drop-waist dress in the same fabric had more of a flapper feel.

Even a dress called a “sack” was nice, mostly because it was done in a lively and light palm-print fabric.

At least one jumpsuit seems to be mandatory in every collection this season, and Reese’s version — a strapless one with legs that hit midcalf — was better than most seen so far at the Bryant Park tents.

The takeaway from Reese’s show was that some shapes that are traditionally difficult to wear can indeed be flattering when done right.

Lacoste: Creative Director Christophe Lemaire’s show attracted a filled-to-capacity crowd Saturday night that saw Lacoste step off the tennis court and into the streets with a collection that included a belted blue-and-white map print dress and a long pleated white jersey skirt that could be worn at the beach or for the evening.

A graphic black-and-white polo shirt paired with above-the-knee pants was fresh and crisp, and the younger set will enjoy the range of colors seen throughout the collection, including orange, aqua, green and pink.

Gold leads metals race on New York runways

Nicole Miller, Sabyasachi Mukherjee litter collections with metallic pieces

Associated Press

Updated: 11:34 p.m. ET Sept 10, 2006

NEW YORK - Loose, billowy dresses and short skirts are among the trends emerging in the early days of New York Fashion Week. Metallics still have a presence on the runway, and the favorite colors all seem to be a variation of sand.

Gold was seen throughout Nicole Miller’s collection, as well as newcomer Sabyasachi Mukherjee’s designs, while Alice Roi’s palette included cream, tan and white.

But the true bellwether collections that could indicate where fashion will go for spring 2007 — including Marc Jacobs, Calvin Klein and Vera Wang — are still to come. When things wrap up Friday, some 100 designers will have shown their upcoming styles.

Alice Roi: Roi presented a collection of crisp wearable dresses, shirts and skirts Saturday, layering a tan dress with a navy cardigan and another with a rib knit vest. Accents included double belts and zippers. Roi showed a blue Austrian paisley dress and white pinpoint shirt paired with a black jacket and a black zipper dress over a blue paisley pinpoint shirt. The collection also included a striped green dress worn with a cream jacket.

Nicole Miller: Miller dug deep for this collection — and found gold.

The theme at the Friday-night show was Mayan culture, which was translated into loose tops and dresses with metallic embroidery and tight stretch metallic skirts. There also was a lovely strapless gown in an exotic print that mixed brown and cream with touches of periwinkle and light purple. (The same print was also featured on a short, sassy sundress.)

All the colors, including a brownish-red dubbed “clay,” seemed to be softened just a bit by the sun.

There were clothes for work — a tiered blouse paired with an embroidered skirt — and even more for play, including a smock-style dress with a gold embroidered neck, a square-neck sundress and an ivory crocheted dress to cover a Mayan-print swimsuit.

Baby Phat: The good news from Baby Phat is that one could picture the young hipsters who go to city clubs wearing many of the outfits previewed on the catwalk. The bad news is that the emphasis was on everything but the clothes at Kimora Lee Simmons’ filled-to-capacity show Friday night.

First, there were the celebrities in the audience, including 50 Cent and “The Sopranos” stars Lorraine Bracco and Jamie-Lynn Sigler; then the hour-long wait for the first model to step onto the runway. And what was she wearing? A jeweled grill over her teeth, imaginably to give her street cred.

It would have been OK to distract attention away from that first look — a sparkly red-and-purple cowl top with denim shorts — but the loose white tunic tops that came next could have stood on their own. The same could be said for the jersey dresses, the scarf-style dresses and a gray denim suit with cigarette pants.

But Simmons went too far with some outfits, including a sequined bikini bottom topped with jeweled fanny packs and a short jumpsuit in red with brown leather trim.

Sabyasachi: Sabyasachi Mukherjee is among the newcomers showing at New York Fashion Week, and distinctive fabrics are a hallmark of his collections. At Saturday’s runway show, Mukherjee’s designs featured a patchwork of colors, fabrics and embellishments including gold sequins and hand embroidery. Many of his dresses were loose and flowing, in a variety of lengths, featuring colors of green, red and gold.

Tom Julian, director of trends for McCann-Erickson, said, “This Indian designer has shown us the hand-woven look with rich fabrics and modern embellishments, but more importantly, has taken Western silhouettes — the blouson, the cowl back and the A-line — and is making a strong signature for a young designer.”

IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T BLEED . . .

Page Six

September 12, 2006 -- THE joint fashion shows for Yellow Fever (by Jamison Ernest) and Clandestine (by rocker Pete Wentz of Fall Out Boy) at Capitale on Saturday ended with a bogus blood bath. Jamison - trying to make a political statement about Americans being taken hostage overseas - came onstage handcuffed and hooded. Models Linda V, his girlfriend, and Julie Ordon, dressed in army fatigue-inspired garb, shot at him with AK-47s loaded with blanks. "Jamison blatantly pulled fake blood capsules out of his pocket and smashed them into his chest," said one witness. "But he didn't smash hard enough, so when he fell over, flailing around pretending to be hit, he realized there was no actual blood on him, so he stood up and did the whole thing over again." Onlookers included Petra Nemcova, Kristin Cavallari, Ryan Cabrera and the rock band All-American Rejects.

IT'S GOLDEN

Gwen Stefani rocks the fashion world during her L.A.M.B. runway show at New York City's Industria Super Studio on Friday. Stefani told Extra her spring line was inspired in part by a Hollywood legend: "I was thinking about Michelle Pfeiffer in Scarface. I just think she was so chic and so beautiful in that whole film."

Posted Image