princess

Fashion Industry News

IT'S GOLDEN

Gwen Stefani rocks the fashion world during her L.A.M.B. runway show at New York City's Industria Super Studio on Friday. Stefani told Extra her spring line was inspired in part by a Hollywood legend: "I was thinking about Michelle Pfeiffer in Scarface. I just think she was so chic and so beautiful in that whole film."

Posted Image

i don't like most of the shoes she is releasing. especially the ones pictures above on the far left. unless they are lined, canvas won't be so comfortable to wear all day

I would totally wear a number of those things, yet with several others I would scream in horror if I saw someone else wearing them and would have to be drugged senseless in order for someone to get them on my body. Nothing just kind of makes me go "meh."

I would totally wear a number of those things, yet with several others I would scream in horror if I saw someone else wearing them and would have to be drugged senseless in order for someone to get them on my body. Nothing just kind of makes me go "meh."

I am so not down with this whole baggy/trapezoid trend this season. I realize my viewpoint may be primitive, but really, if you have a nice body, why not show it a little instead of completely hiding it under that stuff?

I am so not down with this whole baggy/trapezoid trend this season. I realize my viewpoint may be primitive, but really, if you have a nice body, why not show it a little instead of completely hiding it under that stuff?

the director of the college i belong to says that bulky baggy clothes are more typically popular or in "season" for fall because of the extra layering needed and extra space needed underneath jackets or coats to add your scar, sweater,etc. that a person isn't going to walk down the street in shorts or a halter top in thirty degree weather (well you could but you wouldn't be too comfortable! or warm).

i kinda understand the bagginess but this whole thing i'm seeing with the flare/wide leg pants to the extreme i am NOT liking too much!!

WIDE LEG NO-NO

Rebecca Taylor

Posted Image

Marc Jacobs

Posted Image

WIDE LEG YES!

Posted Image

Kate goes from supermodel to super designer

tmz.com

Kate Moss' supercareer keeps on getting better and better.

After appearing in 14 advertising campaigns for everyone from Versace to Calvin Klein to Burberry this year, Kate is reportedly set to design outfits for the UK retailer Topshop. Rehab never looked so good!

While Kate may be used to wearing clothes from high end designers, Topshop has more in common with Gap than Gucci.

But that shouldn't be a problem for the fashion icon. Last week, Kate set off a shopping frenzy when she was photographed carrying a $5 bag from a drugstore chain. The bargain bin Balenciaga quickly sold out across England.

And Moss' lack of design experience shouldn't be a hindrance either, because, "Project Runway" be damned, that hasn't stopped fellow fashionistas like Jennifer Lopez, Gwen Stefani and Diddy from succeeding in the biz.

So as we await to see what the House of Moss will create, let's just hope the designs come in sizes other than small, petite and waif.

MODEL MAYHEM

IMG is raiding the ranks at Elite Models. Social beauty Amanda Hearst just ankled Elite, her longtime agency, for the glamorous halls of IMG Models. Monique Pillard, who founded Elite's celebrity division, also left last week. We hear IMG head Ivan Bart is also making a strong play for another Elite client, Lauren Bush, who insiders say will soon be joining her pal Hearst at IMG. Hearst - and presumably Bush - are joining a roster of supermodels including Kate Moss, Gisele Bundchen and Daria Werbowy.

WE HEAR

Page Six

October 3, 2006 -- THAT Jonathan Cheban was served legal papers last week by Oscar de la Renta, claiming "trademark infringement" involving the Clarendon clothing line, but that Cheban sold his stake in Clarendon and is now creating another line, Kritik . . .

IN FUR THE NIGHT

Page Six

October 4, 2006 -- PETA honchos Ingrid Newkirk and Dan Mathews and a horde of protesters spent Monday night in a Paris slammer. The group was arrested after busting into the Jean Paul Gaultier flagship boutique and dousing the designer's street-level windows with red paint while wearing "bloodied" donated furs and shouting, "Gaultier! Killer!," for over an hour. Brigitte Bardot defended the protest and told us via a rep, "I cannot believe that [Gaultier] is unable to [stop using fur]. Only imbeciles do not change opinions." Look for more protests at Gaultier's 30th anniversary party this weekend.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/10/04...reut/index.html

Lagerfeld shrugs off skinny model fears

POSTED: 8:51 a.m. EDT, October 4, 2006

PARIS, France (Reuters) -- German designer Karl Lagerfeld on Wednesday shrugged off concerns about the fashion industry's obsession with ultra-thin models, noting countries such as France rather had problems with a rise in overweight people.

Madrid last month sparked a controversy when it banned excessively thin models from its catwalks after accusations their appearance may cause eating disorders in young women.

But the runways in Paris this week have been filled by girls with child-like figures and stick-thin legs.

"We don't see anorexic (girls). The girls are skinny. They have skinny bones," Lagerfeld told reporters after his show, which saw models parade out in tiny short dresses, barely covering their almost non-existent behinds.

Asked whether the fashion industry was to blame for eating disorders of many young girls who were starving themselves, the designer said: "No, that is something to sell papers."

The pony-tailed Lagerfeld, who has himself drastically shed weight, is presenting clothes for his Karl Lagerfeld label in Paris, as well as for fashion house Chanel.

The multi-tasking fashion icon edits books and shoots fashion photographs for glossy magazines, and also created a one-off collection for Swedish retailer H&M.

Lagerfeld said the rise in the number of overweight people in many countries was a problem.

"In a country like France, with 18 percent of girls in the (northern region of) Pas de Calais being too fat -- I think they needed more treatment than the zero-point-I-don't-know percent of the too skinny ones," he said.

It was not clear which numbers Lagerfeld was referring to. A recent survey showed almost a third of French people were overweight and 12.4 percent were obese, while around 5 percent were underweight.

Models presenting the Karl Lagerfeld collection paraded out in tight uniform style shirts, featuring tie-like lapels, others presented long floating transparent dresses with ruffles, wearing tights with large flowers on their thin legs.

Lagerfeld's comments came after other designers shrugged off fashion's responsibility for the hype to be skinny.

Designer Giorgio Armani has blamed stylists and the media for the fashion industry's obsession with ultra-thin women.

Burberry's designer Christopher Bailey said he was very thin but was able to eat like a horse, noting people had to be conscious and sensible about the issue and use common sense.

Copyright 2006 Reuters. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

PLUS SIZE MODEL USED IN THE JEAN PAUL GAULTIER SHOW (bitch, looks FIERCE):

Posted Image

Gaultier swaps Size O models for 'Size 20'

Last updated at 16:51pm on 4th October 2006

Comments Reader comments (38)

Fashion designer Jean Paul Gaultier found his own way to comment on the 'size zero' debate - by putting a larger model down the catwalk to show off his clothes.

Dressed in a daring black corsetry, the plus-sized model dwarfed her fellow waif-like catwalk queens.

Clearly more of a size 20 than the controversial model Size 0, this voluptuous woman proved big is beautiful as she strutted down the runway at Gaultier's 30th anniversary show yesterday during fashion week in Paris.

SOURCE: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...picbox&ct=5

PLUS SIZE MODEL USED IN THE JEAN PAUL GAULTIER SHOW (bitch, looks FIERCE):

Posted Image

Gaultier swaps Size O models for 'Size 20'

Last updated at 16:51pm on 4th October 2006

Comments Reader comments (38)

Fashion designer Jean Paul Gaultier found his own way to comment on the 'size zero' debate - by putting a larger model down the catwalk to show off his clothes.

Dressed in a daring black corsetry, the plus-sized model dwarfed her fellow waif-like catwalk queens.

Clearly more of a size 20 than the controversial model Size 0, this voluptuous woman proved big is beautiful as she strutted down the runway at Gaultier's 30th anniversary show yesterday during fashion week in Paris.

SOURCE: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...picbox&ct=5

Okay, I've attached the pic. Anyone else think he's just a publicity whore?

I guess he wanted to show the other extreme. :rolleyes: I just wish they'd use normal-sized women and not call them "plus=sized".

I guess he wanted to show the other extreme. :rolleyes: I just wish they'd use normal-sized women and not call them "plus=sized".

if they wear plus size...why not call them plus-sized models. i don't think any rational person calls runway models normal sized. the average size is 10-12-14 which are not plus sized at all.

plus designers use people who make their clothes look best. i admit if i were a designer and i created a lingerie line, it would look more attractive to a consumer if it were modeled by someone who is fit lean and tall compared to a model who was short and chubby. it is about marketing your item.

ETA: my amigo just told me earlier that jpg is known for using non-traditional models for his runways like midgets and old people.

Edited by Jerrica Benton

i met manolo blahnik today!

SPILL!!!!

Yes please :)

he was very nice and taller than i expected. probably five ten. nice black round thick framed glasses. EXTREEEEEEEEMELY nice. i thought he'd have a diva attitude but he didn't. my name is vanessa but he started calling me vansheka (who cares though i was elated). he actually stopped and had a conversation with me and took the time to talk. he gave me good advice on becoming a designer and every time he spoke he spoke enthusiastically... (maybe he was on something ;) jk )

I glad he was lovely and encouraging. Many people in the fashion industry are not kind so I'm delighted that he was. Of course, he would be kinder if he designed shoes that I could afford...

he was very nice and taller than i expected. probably five ten. nice black round thick framed glasses. EXTREEEEEEEEMELY nice. i thought he'd have a diva attitude but he didn't. my name is vanessa but he started calling me vansheka (who cares though i was elated). he actually stopped and had a conversation with me and took the time to talk. he gave me good advice on becoming a designer and every time he spoke he spoke enthusiastically... (maybe he was on something ;) jk )

You are my hero. I worship at the altar of Manolo (and Louboutin) so if I were you, I would make everyone call me Vansheka from now on. I would also probably have begged him to sign one of my shoes. (who cares about actors, but THIS IS MANOLO BLAHNIK!!!)

thanks, great story. :wub: :wub: by the way, have you seen this?

Manolo's Shoe Blog

Edited by soho2chelsea

You are my hero. I worship at the altar of Manolo (and Louboutin) so if I were you, I would make everyone call me Vansheka from now on. I would also probably have begged him to sign one of my shoes. (who cares about actors, but THIS IS MANOLO BLAHNIK!!!)

Manolo's Shoe Blog

i did! tee hee!

is that his real blog???

Edited by Jerrica Benton

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/10/06...reut/index.html

Yves Saint Laurent falls in street

PARIS, France (Reuters) -- Fashion recluse Yves Saint Laurent fell in a Paris street on Friday and lay motionless in the road for several minutes surrounded by aides until emergency services arrived to help him, video footage showed.

A spokeswoman at the Yves-Saint-Laurent Foundation said the 70-year-old designer was well and had returned home, denying rumors he was seriously ill.

"Monsieur Saint Laurent did not have a heart attack. He just missed the curb, dropping into his car, and he fell," she said, declining to give her name.

"He's fine and he did not go to the hospital."

Footage shot by a passing cameraman showed Saint Laurent lying in the roadside behind a car. After a while emergency services arrived and the video was cut.

A spokesman for the emergency services declined to give any information.

The bespectacled Yves Saint Laurent, whose couture creations have fine art status on four continents, ruled the French fashion world from the age of 21 until his retirement in 2002.

His health is very fragile and he is rarely seen in public.

Copyright 2006 Reuters. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Yves Saint Laurent Collapses in Paris

FRIDAY OCTOBER 06, 2006 12:00PM EST

By Stephen M. Silverman and Peter Allen and Peter Mikelbank

Yves Saint Laurent, one of the last of France's post-war fashion giants and a designing influence for four decades, collapsed in a Paris street on Friday, a day after his latest catwalk triumph during fashion week in the French capital.

"Yves collapsed suddenly and without warning," an eyewitness tells PEOPLE. "It was nasty fall. Medics arrived very quickly and he was rushed away for treatment. We are just hoping that he is going to be all right."

Saint Laurent is fine, according to a spokesman for Foundation Yves St. Laurent, who tells PEOPLE that the designer checked out of the hospital and is home recuperating from the fall.

"Monsieur Yves Saint Laurent is very well, very very well. He slipped in the street. It was a hard fall but just a simple, common, ordinary accident that could happen to anyone," says the spokesman.

Saint Laurent, 70, fell in Avenue Montaigne, close to the Champs-Elysees.

Since 2002, there have been widespread reports of Saint-Laurent's ill-health, peppered with anecdotes about alcohol and drug abuse, depression and even the closure of his once fabled couture house – though the YSL brand still continues today through the parent company of Gucci.

Laurent, who was born in Algeria when it was a French colony, left home at the age of 17 to work for the designer Christian Dior before setting up his own label.

YSL was not only a label, however – it was a revolution. Catering to jet-setters and socialites including Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis and Catherine Deneuve, Saint Laurent pioneered styles that trickled down, through his less expensive ready-to-wear line as well as knockoffs, into every female closet: pantsuits and peasant blouses, safari jackets and see-through shirts.

Any woman who has ever stood tall in a power suit has Saint Laurent to thank. As designer Diane Von Furstenberg, a friend and client, told PEOPLE in 2002: "His influence in fashion will never die."

The label's show on Thursday night – attended by Katie Holmes and Victoria Beckham – was considered a highlight of this year's Paris Fashion Week.

Manolo's Shoe Blog

Does anyone here have any of these shoes? I LOVE Louboutin, but can't pay that much for a pair of shoes. An old friend of mine splurged on some Jimmy Choo's and said they were so uncomfortable. I would think for those kind of prices (Louboutin are $1000+) they would be comfy.

Nope. Have some choos and they make my toes bleed. But damn, I look sexy. 99% of the time I'm in GAP or Zara, but when you want to look fierce, Jimmy can definitely help.