cydonia

Sci Fi TV

Sci Fi Takes Heart in 'Tin Man' Ratings

Channel's best ratings ever for first night of the miniseries

December 4, 2007

There was no place like the Sci Fi Channel for miniseries viewers on Sunday night.

The network scored its best ratings ever for the first night of its "Tin Man" miniseries, a reimagining of the L. Frank Baum classic, "The Wizard of Oz."

The Dec. 2 airing at 9-11 p.m. ET/PT was the channel's most-watched telecast ever in overall viewership, boasting more than 6.3 million total viewers. It also delivered in both of its key demos, 3.8 million viewers aged 25-54 and 3.4 million viewers aged 18-49. It also scored a 4.2 rating in 3.93 million households.

To put this into a Sci Fi Channel context, it even surpassed the ratings for the first parts of the Emmy-winning Steven Spielberg miniseries "Taken" (in overall ratings, in adults 25-54 and households) and Frank Herbert's "Dune" (adults 18-49).

The second night of the three-part "Tin Man" aired Monday night, Dec. 3 at 9 p.m. ET.

In the reimagining of the classic tale, the young woman DG (Zooey Deschanel) is snatched up and thrust into the O.Z., where she joins forces with the half-brained man Glitch (Alan Cumming), the wolverine-like Raw (Raoul Trujillo) who seeks courage and the emotionally scarred, heroic Cain (Neal McDonough), who was once part of the police force known as Tin Men. They journey along the Old Road to seek the help of the Mystic Man (Richard Dreyfuss), who holds the key to revealing her destiny, which is strangely tied to the wicked Azkeadellia (Kathleen Robertson). During the final showdown, DG's life and the future of O.Z. itself hang in the balance.

Sci Fi Takes Heart in 'Tin Man' Ratings

Channel's best ratings ever for first night of the miniseries

December 4, 2007

There was no place like the Sci Fi Channel for miniseries viewers on Sunday night.

The network scored its best ratings ever for the first night of its "Tin Man" miniseries, a reimagining of the L. Frank Baum classic, "The Wizard of Oz."

I admit I'm enjoying this miniseries. I love the productions of the Halmi's (eventhough they are usually cheesy) and think the actors are all good. Except Kathleen Robertson who has almost single handly ruined it for me - I wish they had found someone better. :)

I'm digging it 2...since it is a different take on the Wizard and we don't have enough of them. I'm not a big fan of DG(Zooey) I don't think she can act...the sorceress is funny, because she's the girl from 90210 and everytime she talks you can watch her lazy eye. :D

I'm digging it 2...since it is a different take on the Wizard and we don't have enough of them. I'm not a big fan of DG(Zooey) I don't think she can act...the sorceress is funny, because she's the girl from 90210 and everytime she talks you can watch her lazy eye. :D

I think that's part of my problem with her - I used to watch BH90210 and I just don't buy her in this role. I hadn't been focusing on the lazy eye, but now I will be :)

I think Alan Cumming is excellent and Neal McDonough can do no wrong in my book.

I understand the feelings about DG - I love her sister in Bones, but I'm not liking her as much.

Ratings ups and downs for sci-fi

While 'Tin Man' sets records, 'Heroes' falls

By JOSEF ADALIAN, JOHN DEMPSEY

It was a good news/bad news week for NBC Universal's geekcentric programming, as Sci Fi Channel miniseries "Tin Man" chalked up record highs but once-hot Peacock drama "Heroes" concluded its latest season with a yawn.

"Tin Man," Sci Fi's far-out miniseries adaptation of "The Wizard of Oz," chalked up an average of 5.3 million total viewers for the six hours running Sunday through Tuesday nights, making it the most-watched mini in the net's 15-year history.

Sci Fi's researchers said that of those 5.3 million viewers, 55% were adults 25-54, the network's demo target, and 50% were women -- an unusually high proportion for a network that usually skews more male than female.

"Tin Man" beat such previous Sci Fi Channel miniseries hits as "Stephen Spielberg Presents 'Taken'" and "Frank Herbert's Dune."

But while folks at NBC U's cable division were over the rainbow at the "Tin Man" perf, folks at the broadcast division had to be bummed at the numbers for the "Heroes" fall finale (which may well end up as the season finale if the WGA strike drags on).

After Nielsen foul-ups caused a delay in reporting Monday's ratings, the measurement service Tuesday said this week's episode of "Heroes" averaged a 5 rating/11 share in the key 18-49 demo.

That's down from the previous week's episode (which notched a 5.3), as well as the show's 2007 season-to-date average (5.9/13). More troubling, it marked a big decline from the show's previous finales.

Skein notched a 7.2/16 with its March 5 spring finale. In May, its season finale averaged a 6.8/16.

While Monday's "Heroes" easily won its 9 p.m. timeslot, the lack of momentum in recent weeks indicates that auds may not have been satisfied with the show's creative changes. Series creator Tim Kring has publicly admitted that the show stumbled at the start of the season but insisted that he'd corrected course.

On the positive tip for the Peacock: Hot frosh "Chuck" continues to perform nicely, closing out the first half of its season Monday by winning the 8 p.m. timeslot with a solid 3.2/8. At 10 p.m., however, a special Monday episode of "Life" (2.4/6) fumbled away half of its lead-in and performed no better than the struggling "Journeyman" in the slot.

'Jericho' Finds Shelter at Sci Fi

Fan-favorite show will air on cable on Mondays

January 23, 2008

With a midseason premiere on the horizon and now a home on cable, the walls of "Jericho" won't be tumbling down anytime soon.

The rights to the first two seasons of the beloved CBS show has been acquired by the Sci Fi Channel, and it will debut on the cable network with a four-episode marathon on Monday, Feb. 11 beginning at 7 p.m. ET, before airing in its reagular time slot on Mondays at 10 p.m. a week later.

"'Jericho' is a gripping science fiction series that Sci Fi Channel is excited to add to our schedule," said Thomas Vitale, Senior Vice President of Programming and Original Movies, in a statement. "Thanks to the passion and persistence of its loyal viewers who saved this program from being canceled, new viewers can now experience this show for the first time on the Sci Fi Channel while CBS continues the story in its second season run starting this February."

The show follows the residents of a small Kansas town after the fallout of a nuclear attack seen as a mushroom cloud on the horizon. With communication suddenly cut off from the outside world and fear rampant, previously untapped strenghths and hidden secrets begin to emerge.

Lackluster ratings for its freshman year initially accounted for "Jericho" not appearing on CBS' schedule for the 2007-2008 season. The show's rabid fan base, however, launched a save "Jericho" crusade that included buying ads in trade magazines and bombarding the network with calls, emails and more than 20 tons of peanuts, the latter a reference the season finale's last line. The efforts were rewarded.

CBS responded with a seven-episode midseason order of brand-new material, which will debut on Tuesday, Feb. 12 at 10 p.m. ET. Fans are warned that ratings will determine if more episodes will be forthcoming, and it's too soon to know if the current writers' strike will affect the show.

Sanctuary Comes To SCI FI

SCI FI Channel has green-lighted a television series based on the Web series Sanctuary, according to The Hollywood Reporter. The show will be the first to use live-action actors against virtual sets in the style of the features 300 and Sin City. SCI FI has ordered a full 13-episode season of the new scripted drama series, which originated online as the first high-definition SF Web series.

Sanctuary is a side project from the Stargate SG-1 trio of star Amanda Tapping, writer-producer Damian Kindler and producer-director Martin Wood. They are executive-producing the series with Sam Egan. Kindler created Sanctuary and Wood directed the webisodes starring Tapping.

Tapping plays the enigmatic Dr. Helen Magnus, who is on a quest with her young protege, Will Zimmerman (Robin Dunne), to track down, aid and protect strange creatures that walk the earth.

Tapping, Kindler and Wood discussed Sanctuary with the network even before it launched as a Web series. Talks shifted into high gear when the trio came back with a DVD containing two one-hour blocks of webisodes.

"We were blown away by the level of quality they have been able to achieve on a Web budget," SCI FI executive vice president of original programming Mark Stern said. "We loved the world they'd created, and we particularly loved their approach, since we had been looking for a way to apply the virtual-set CGI environment from films like 300 and Sin City to a television series."

Sanctuary, which features 90 percent CGI sets, will be retooled for its transition to television. A new two-hour premiere episode will be produced for the network, with expanded roles for some of the characters, although the cast will remain intact. Much of the CGI footage from the Web series will be enhanced and incorporated into the show.

Sanctuary will be produced by Stage 3 Media in association with SCI FI Channel. Filming is slated to begin in March.

'Doctor Who' Season Four, 'Sarah Jane' Travel to Sci Fi

More British sci fi adventures come to America

February 4, 2008

The Doctor is in and he has a new companion.

The Sci Fi Channel has acquired the fourth season of "Doctor Who" and its new spinoff "The Sarah Jane Adventures" from BBC America to premiere in April 2008.

David Tennant will reprise his role as the tenth Timelord for this fourth season of "Doctor Who" and he's joined by Donna Noble, the runaway bride from the Christmas special the previous season played by Catherine Tate. Former companion Martha Jones (Freema Agyeman) will return in the middle of the season.

"Sarah Jane," which is written and produced by the same creative team behind the good doctor, centers on one of the Doctor's previous companions. Her years traveling the universe with him makes her particularly equipped to handle alien encounters, mysteries and dangers with the help of her new young friends Maria, Luke and Clyde.

"We are excited to have 'Doctor Who' back on Sci Fi for its fourth season," said Chris Regina, Vice President of Programming, Sci Fi Channel. "It's an exciting franchise that continues to reinvent itself for new generations of viewers. The youthful appeal of 'The Sarah Jane Adventures' will no doubt attract even younger new viewers."

Candace Carlisle, EVP Sales and Co-productions, BBC Worldwide Americas added, "The imagination of Russell and the rest of the production team in Cardiff who have produced these two incredible shows is outstanding. We are so pleased that the loyal fans of the Sci Fi Channel will be able to meet a whole new range of characters and aliens that are intrinsically linked to the Doctor's history. Both 'Sarah Jane Adventures' and the new season of 'Doctor Who' are jam-packed with some of the most creative storylines ever produced by the BBC's brilliant team."

"Doctor Who" is the longest-running science fiction TV series to date and was revived recently starring Christopher Eccleston ("Heroes") as the ninth incarnation of the Doctor. Tennant replaced him beginning with the second season and has since enjoyed solid viewership with the series on Sci Fi.

'Battlestar Galactica' Premieres Final Season in April

Two half-hour specials precede fourth season

Ready to say "hello" and then "good-bye" to "Battlestar Galactica"?

The Emmy- and Peabody-winning series will premiere its fourth and final original season on the Sci Fi Channel beginning Friday, April 4 at 10 p.m. ET/PT. First, however, fans can whet their appetite a week earlier with two back-to-back specials about "BSG."

"Battlestar Galactica: Revisted" will be the first up to bat on Friday, March 28 at 10 p.m. The half-hour special will recap the sci-fi action and Cylon-human drama driving the first three seasons of the show with insightful commentary by executive producers Ronald D. Moore and David Eick.

Beginning at 10:30 p.m., "Battlestar Galactica: The Phenomenon" will investigate the show's impact on pop culture. Actor Seth Green, country singer Brad Paisley and "Talk Soup's" Joel McHale are just some of the celebrities who will share their love for the show.

The fourth season opens with the remaining members of the human race still seeking a new place to call home whilst the line that separates human from Cylon rapidly fades. Starbuck's mysterious return from the dead puzzles Galactica's crew, along with her assertions that she can lead them to Earth, where she had visited when she was supposedly deceased. Also this season, four more members of the fleet can't quite reconcile the fact that they've been Cylons the whole time.

TV Squad

Tori Higginson (Dr. Weir) and Stargate Atlantis go their separate ways

Posted Feb 9th 2008 8:35PM by Richard Keller

SLIGHT SPOILERS AHEAD! Be aware that I'm just the messenger here.

Remember the time, only a few weeks ago, where a supposed Replicator version of Dr. Elizabeth Weir appeared during the final minute of the Stargate Atlantis episode 'Be All My Sins Remember'd'? And, do you recall the debate that went on here and in the Interwebverse on what that meant? And, didn't it excite you just a bit to see Weir back and being primed for a potential return to the series either late in the fourth season or sometime in the fifth?

Well, as they said in many Shakespearean plays -- tain't happenin'! (That would be Rudy Shakespeare of Pennsauken, New Jersey, that is). That's because Tori Higginson, who portrayed Dr. Weir, has up and quit the show according to an article at the Gateworld website. This announcement especially stinks since Weir was going to be a potential player in a major story arc for season five. That's right! Weir's mysterious appearance at the end of 'Remember'd' was going to be addressed in a future episode which, in turn, was going to become a recurring story arc.

Higginson's reasons for not coming back for another Atlantis season are unknown. A possible reason could have been Weir's removal from the cast list after signing a 6-year contract back in 2004 and relocating to Vancouver, BC. The producers, in what seems like a fairly cold statement, said that they were being quite gracious in keeping on Weir after that happened. Either way, it is unsure at this time if the rogue Replicator storyline, minus Weir, will re-emerge.

From Kristen @ Eonline

Link

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

What We're Hearing: The crown jewel of the Sci Fi Channel should finish out its fourth and final season, but per writer Jane Espenson, it's almost certain that, schedule-wise, the story will be split into two separate miniseasons. The show completed 14 episodes before the strike hit, and at least the first 10 will air beginning Apr. 4. The second batch could premiere in the fall or even sometime in 2009.

WB, Paramount dominate Saturns

'300,' 'Harry Potter' lead the way

By DAVID S. COHEN

Warner Bros. and Paramount dominated feature film nominations for the the 34th annual Saturn Awards.

Warners scored 23 noms, most of any studio, and its Frank Miller sword-and-sandal epid "300" led all films with 10 noms. "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," also from Warner, had nine noms.

Par had 22 noms, including noms for Daniel Day-Lewis for actor, a pair of noms for "Cloverfield" and another pair for "Tranformers."

In TV, "Lost" led with seven noms, "Dexter" nabbed five and "Heroes" had four.

And the nominees are:

FILM

Science Fiction Film

"Cloverfield" (Paramount)

"Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer" (20th Century Fox)

"I Am Legend" (Warner Bros.)

"The Last Mimzy" (New Line Cinema)

"Sunshine" (Fox Searchlight)

"Transformers" (DreamWorks SKG / Paramount)

Fantasy Film

"Enchanted" (Buena Vista)

"The Golden Compass" (New Line Cinema)

"Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" (Warner Bros.)

"Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End" (Buena Vista)

"Spider-Man 3" (Sony)

"Stardust" (Paramount)

Horror Film

"30 Days of Night" (Sony)

"1408" (The Weinstein Co.)

"Ghost Rider" (Sony)

"Grindhouse" (The Weinstein Co.)

"The Mist" (The Weinstein Co.)

"Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" (DreamWorks SKG / Paramount)

Action / Adventure / Thriller Film

"3:10 to Yuma" (Lionsgate)

"300" (Warner Bros.)

"The Bourne Ultimatum" (Universal)

"Live Free or Die Hard" (20th Century Fox)

"No Country for Old Men" (Miramax)

"There Will Be Blood" (Paramount Vantage)

"Zodiac" (Paramount)

Actor

Gerard Butler ("300") (Warner Bros.)

John Cusack ("1408") (The Weinstein Co.)

Daniel Day-Lewis ("There Will Be Blood") (Paramount Vantage)

Johnny Depp ("Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street") (DreamWorks SKG / Paramount)

Viggo Mortensen ("Eastern Promises") (Focus Features)

Will Smith ("I Am Legend") (Warner Bros.)

Actress

Amy Adams ("Enchanted") (Buena Vista)

Ashley Judd ("Bug") (Lionsgate)

Helena Bonham Carter ("Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street") (DreamWorks SKG / Paramount)

Naomi Watts ("Eastern Promises") (Focus Features)

Belen Rueda ("The Orphanage") (Picturehouse)

Carice van Houten ("Black Book") (Sony Pictures Classics)

Best Supporting Actor

Javier Bardem ("No Country for Old Men") (Miramax)

Ben Foster ("3:10 to Yuma") (Lionsgate)

James Franco ("Spider-Man 3") (Sony)

Justin Long ("Live Free or Die Hard") (20th Century Fox)

Alan Rickman ("Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street") (DreamWorks SKG / Paramount)

David Wenham ("300") (Warner Bros.)

Supporting Actress

Lizzy Caplan ("Cloverfield") (Paramount)

Marcia Gay Harden ("The Mist") (The Weinstein Co.)

Lena Headey ("300") (Warner Bros.)

Rose McGowan ("Grindhouse" - "Planet Terror") (The Weinstein Co.)

Michelle Pfeiffer ("Stardust") (Paramount)

Imelda Staunton ("Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix") (Warner Bros.)

Performance by a Younger Actor

Alex Etel ("The Water Horse") (Sony)

Freddie Highmore ("August Rush") (Warner Bros.)

Josh Hutcherson ("Bridge to Terabithia") (Buena Vista)

Daniel Radcliffe ("Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix") (Warner Bros.)

Dakota Blue Richards ("The Golden Compass") (New Line Cinema)

Rhiannon Leigh Wryn ("The Last Mimzy") (New Line Cinema)

Direction

Tim Burton ("Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street") (DreamWorks SKG / Paramount)

Frank Darabont ("The Mist") (The Weinstein Co.)

Paul Greengrass ("The Bourne Ultimatum") (Universal)

Sam Raimi ("Spider-Man 3") (Sony)

Zack Snyder ("300") (Warner Bros.)

David Yates ("Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix") (Warner Bros.)

Writing

Roger Avary, Neil Gaiman ("Beowulf") (Paramount)

Brad Bird ("Ratatouille") (Buena Vista)

Joel Coen, Ethan Coen ("No Country for Old Men") (Miramax)

Michael Goldenberg ("Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix") (Warner Bros.)

Michael Gordon, Zack Snyder, Kurt Johnstad ("300") (Warner Bros.)

John Logan ("Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street") (DreamWorks SKG / Paramount)

Music

Tyler Bates ("300") (Warner Bros.)

Jonny Greenwood ("There Will Be Blood") (Paramount Vantage)

Nicholas Hooper ("Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix") (Warner Bros.)

Mark Mancina ("August Rush") (Warner Bros.)

Alan Menken ("Enchanted") (Buena Vista)

John Powell ("The Bourne Ultimatum") (Universal)

Best Costume

Colleen Atwood ("Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street") (DreamWorks SKG / Paramount)

Ruth Myers ("The Golden Compass") (New Line Cinema)

Penny Rose ("Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End") (Buena Vista)

Sammy Sheldon ("Stardust") (Paramount)

Jany Temime ("Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix") (Warner Bros.)

Michael Wilkinson ("300") (Warner Bros.)

Make-Up

Howard Berger, Greg Nicotero, Jake Garber - ("Grindhouse" - "Planet Terror") (The Weinstein Co.)

Nick Dudman, Amanda Knight - ("Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix") (Warner Bros.)

Davina Lamont - ("30 Days of Night") (Sony)

Ve Neill, Martin Samuel - ("Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End") (Buena Vista)

Peter Owen, Ivana Primorac - ("Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street") (DreamWorks SKG / Paramount)

Shaun Smith, Mark Rappaport - ("300") (Warner Bros.)

Special Effects

Tim Burke, John Richardson, Paul Franklin, Greg Butler - ("Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix") (Warner Bros.)

Scott Farrar, Scott Benza, Russell Earl, John Frazier - ("Transformers") (DreamWorks SKG / Paramount)

Michael Fink, Bill Westenhofer, Ben Morris, Trevor Wood - ("The Golden Compass") (New Line Cinema)

John Knoll, Hal Hickel, Charles Gibson, John Frazier - ("Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End") (Buena Vista)

Scott Stokdyk, Peter Nofz, Spencer Cook, John R. Frazier - ("Spider-Man 3") (Sony)

Chris Watts, Grant Freckelton, Derek Wentworth, Daniel Leduc - ("300") (Warner Bros.)

International Film

"Black Book" (Sony Pictures Classics)

"Day Watch" (Fox Searchlight)

"Eastern Promises" (Focus Features)

"Goya’s Ghosts" (Samuel Goldwyn Films)

"The Orphanage" (Picturehouse)

"Sleuth" (Sony Pictures Classics)

Animated Film

"Beowulf" (Paramount)

"Meet the Robinsons" (Buena Vista)

"Ratatouille" (Buena Vista)

"Shrek the Third" (DreamWorks SKG / Paramount)

"The Simpsons Movie" (20th Century Fox)

"Surf’s Up" (Sony)

TELEVISION NOMINATIONS

Network Television Series

"Heroes" (NBC)

"Journeyman" (NBC)

"Lost" (ABC)

"Pushing Daisies" (ABC)

"Supernatural" (CW)

"Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles" (Fox)

Syndicated / Cable Television Series

"Battlestar Galactica" (Sci Fi Channel)

"The Closer" (TNT)

"Dexter" (Showtime)

"Kyle XY" (ABC Family)

"Saving Grace" (TNT)

"Stargate SG-1" (Sci Fi Channel / MGM)

Presentation on Television

"Battlestar Galactica: Razor" (Sci Fi Channel)

"The Company" (TNT)

"Fallen" (ABC Family)

"The Family Guy" - "Blue Harvest" (Fox)

"Masters of Science Fiction" (ABC)

"Shrek the Halls" (ABC)

"Tin Man" (Sci Fi Channel)

International Series

"Doctor Who" (Sci Fi Channel)

"Jekyll" (BBC America)

"Life On Mars" (BBC America)

"Meadowlands" (aka "Cape Wrath") (Showtime)

"Robin Hood" (BBC America)

"Torchwood" (BBC America)

Actor on Television

Matt Dallas ("Kyle XY") (ABC Family)

Matthew Fox ("Lost") (ABC)

Michael C. Hall ("Dexter") (Showtime)

Kevin McKidd ("Journeyman") (NBC)

Edward James Olmos ("Battlestar Galactica") (Sci Fi Channel)

Lee Pace ("Pushing Daisies") (ABC)

Best Actress on Television

Anna Friel ("Pushing Daisies") (ABC)

Lena Headey ("Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles") (Fox)

Jennifer Love Hewitt("Ghost Whisperer") (CBS)

Holly Hunter ("Saving Grace") (TNT)

Evangeline Lily ("Lost") (ABC)

Kyra Sedgwick ("The Closer") (TNT)

Supporting Actor on Television

Michael Emerson ("Lost") (ABC)

Greg Grunberg ("Heroes") (NBC)

Josh Holloway ("Lost") (ABC)

Erik King ("Dexter") (Showtime)

Terry O’Quinn ("Lost") (ABC)

Masi Oka ("Heroes") (NBC)

Supporting Actress on Television

Jaime Alexander ("Kyle XY") (ABC Family)

Jennifer Carpenter ("Dexter") (Showtime)

Summer Glau ("Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles") (Fox)

Elizabeth Mitchell ("Lost") (ABC)

Jaime Murray ("Dexter") (Showtime)

Hayden Panettiere ("Heroes") (NBC)

DVD NOMINATIONS

Best DVD Release

"Behind The Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon" (Starz / Anchor Bay)

"The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari" (remix) (Image)

"Driftwood" (Image)

"The Man From Earth" (Anchor Bay)

"The Nines" (Sony)

"White Noise 2" (Universal)

Best Special Edition DVD Release

"Big" (Extended Edition) (Fox)

"Blade Runner" (5 Disc Ultimate Collector’s Edition) (Warner)

"Close Encounters of the Third Kind" (30th Anniversary - Blu Ray) (Sony)

"Death Proof" (Grindhouse Presentation: Extended & Unrated) (Genius)

"Pan’s Labyrinth" (Platinum Series) (New Line)

"Troy: Director’s Cut" (Ultimate Collector’s Edition) (Warner)

Classic Film DVD Release

"Alligator" (Lionsgate)

"The Dark Crystal" (Sony)

"Face/Off" (Paramount)

"Flash Gordon" (Universal)

"The Monster Squad" (Lionsgate)

"Witchfinder General" (MGM)

Collection on DVD

"The Godzilla Collection" (Classic Media)

"The Mario Bava Collection" (Vol. 1 & 2) (Anchor Bay)

"The Sergio Leone Anthology" (MGM)

"The Sonny Chiba Collection" (BCI / Eclipse)

"Stanley Kubrick" (Warner Home Video Directors Series) (Warner)

"Vincent Price" (MGM Scream Legends Collection) (MGM)

Best Television Series on DVD

"Eureka" (Season 1) (Universal)

"Heroes" (Season 1) (Universal)

"Hustle" (Complete Seasons 2 and 3) (BBC Warner)

"Lost" (The Complete Third Season) (Buena Vista)

"MI:5" (Volumes 4 & 5) (BBC Warner)

"Planet Earth: The Complete BBC Series" (BBC Warner)

Retro Television Series on DVD

"The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones" (Volume 1: The Early Years) (Paramount)

"Count Dracula" (BBC Mini-series 1977) (BBC Warner)

"Land of the Giants" (The Full Series) (Fox)

"Mission Impossible" (The Second and Third Seasons) (Paramount)

"Twin Peaks" (The Definitive Gold Box Edition) (Paramount)

"The Wild Wild West" (The Second and Third Seasons) (Paramount)

SPECIAL AWARD RECIPIENTS

THE GEORGE PAL MEMORIAL AWARD:

Guillermo del Toro

THE SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARD:

Tim Lucas

Assessing the fallout from CBS' 'Jericho' maneuver

By James Hibberd

March 17, 2008

The dramatic Season 1 finale of CBS' "Jericho" concluded with two high-stakes cliffhangers: Will a Kansas town of nuclear war survivors successfully fight off a lawless invading militia? And will a network that dares to renew "Jericho" despite its below-the-line ratings be rewarded for having faith in the show?

Nearly a year later, the citizens of "Jericho" are alive and well. But CBS' roll of the dice hasn't quite paid off.

The seven-episode second season of "Jericho" returned in February to a 2.3 rating among adults 18-49 and has since sunk to average a 1.8 in the past couple of weeks.

Online, however, the show has done better. The premiere was streamed about 700,000 times on CBS.com, and "Jericho" is one of the most downloaded shows on iTunes.

But online success doesn't yet pay the rent on a broadcast scripted drama. Two "Jericho" episodes remain, and chances of a pickup are slim. Producers shot two endings -- one a cliffhanger, one more of a wrap-up -- and oddsmakers bet CBS that isn't risking another cliffhanger.

Which isn't to say that the network's decision last year was a mistake. Season 1's narrative homestretch -- a tense and emotional ramp-up to civil war -- was a creative peak. Fans desperate for more episodes organized what has been called the largest protest ever mounted to try and halt the cancellation of a TV show. Playing off a line of dialogue in the finale, viewers famously sent about 45,000 pounds of peanuts to CBS.

With audiences increasingly distracted by other entertainment mediums, what network wouldn't be tempted to give a second chance to a show that sparked so much enthusiasm with a story that kept getting more interesting? After all, viewers never get this riled up about "Cold Case."

A completely different way of looking at the "Jericho" renewal, however, was that the network actually did not listen to its viewers. The first six episodes in 2006 averaged a 3.5 rating, while the last six averaged a 2.4. In the cold light of Nielsen math, departing viewers might not have been mailing peanuts, but they too were sending a message: The show wasn't holding their interest.

"No matter what happens with 'Jericho,' there will be no regrets here," one CBS insider says. "We listened to our audience, and the producers delivered seven terrific episodes at a time we needed original programming during the writers strike."

Fans, however, have a very different take on the "Jericho" saga. Despite CBS risking a pickup, many blame the current "Jericho" woes on the network's lack of support.

"CBS should have done the right thing and gave 'Jericho' a chance," one fan wrote on AOL's "Jericho" message board. "Instead, they gave it a terrible time slot, a lower budget (and) tried to cram an entire season into seven episodes."

It's true that "Jericho" budget cutbacks resulted in noticeable differences. Season 2 has been a ghost of the first -- missing characters, less action, fewer exterior shots and plenty of two-people-in-a-room scenes.

Showrunner Carol Barbee, who also is an executive producer on CBS' upcoming summer drama "Swingtown," defended the network's cuts as "a blessing in disguise."

"We'd have come back if they gave us $1.95 and three days to shoot," Barbee says. "I like two people in a room talking. We've earned the right to not have to run-and-gun every few minutes. I think the quality has taken a huge leap up."

So what's the lesson to learn from "Jericho?" That networks should always base programming decisions strictly on the ratings?

With media distribution systems reaching young viewers in new ways, such a strict stance seems foolish. Not to mention creatively depressing. At its peak, "Jericho" infused its drama with likable characters caught in impossible moral dilemmas. Maybe the show's lesson is that, sometimes, there's just no right answer.

'Battlestar' to stick to the small screen

By Paul J. Gough

March 19, 2008

NEW YORK -- "Battlestar Galactica" isn't headed the big-screen route as other sci-fi franchises have gone before.

"I think the series works best as an ensemble TV drama," said Ronald D. Moore, an executive producer of the Sci Fi Channel hit that will end this year after four critically acclaimed seasons. "If it translated into a feature it would be a different animal."

Moore said he's been that route with "Star Trek" and found that the movies become focused on one or two characters with the rest of the show's characters mostly fading into the background. He said the "Next Generation" movies ended up focusing on Captain Jean-Luc Picard and Commander Data. The others, Moore said, did "one scene for their character and the rest of the time they were essentially support to Patrick (Stewart) and Brent (Spiner)."

Moore and executive producer David Eick and the cast were mum on any details of the top-secret plot for the upcoming season -- the cast had a meeting where they were told not to divulge any details. But Moore said that the remaining 20 episodes of "Battlestar" tie up most of the loose ends and a movie wouldn't be required to further the storyline.

Although, he said, it wasn't going to be all the loose ends. Moore said some would be ambiguous by design.

"Battlestar Galactica" was affected by the writers strike, shutting down production after the 11th episode. The writers had a working plan where the show would go, but Moore said plans changed following the strike. He said that, while walking the picket line, he started thinking about the show, and when the writers got back he guided them about a clearer vision for the show.

Sci Fi puts faith in 'Believer' comic

'Galactica' prequel also gets greenlight

By JOHN DEMPSEY

Sci Fi Channel has given the go-ahead to "Caprica," a prequel of "Battlestar Galactica" in the form of a two-hour backdoor pilot, and has signed Rosario Dawson to develop "True Believer," the pilot for a proposed series based on a comicbook she co-created.

These were two of the highlights of Sci Fi Channel's upfront presentation Tuesday night at New York City's Morgan Library delivered by David Howe, president of the network.

Sci Fi's goal is keep its momentum going through a calibrated mix of scripted original series, first-run reality series, commissioned low-budget movies, reruns of series including "Lost" and "Jericho," theatrical movies and occasional miniseries.

Sci Fi said it's bringing back its stunt-reality series "Scare Tactics" with a new host, comedian Tracy Morgan. The network also said it's developing two more scripted pilots that could become series: "The Stranded," the first project of a joint venture created last year by Sci Fi and Virgin Comics to put together comicbooks with TV potential, and "Deputized," a comedy drama about an Everyman who accidentally gets special powers that he uses as a member of an intergalactic police force.

And the writer-director Nick Willing and his exec producers Robert Halmi Sr. and Jr., who created Sci Fi's runaway-hit miniseries "Tin Man," based loosely on "Wizard of Oz," have agreed to tackle "Alice in Wonderland" as the source of another potential mini. Sci Fi will call it "Alice."

"Battlestar Galactica" is concluding its 3½-year run with 20 final episodes this year. Its "Caprica" prequel begins production in Vancouver in the spring. Ronald D. Moore and David Eick, the exec producers of "Galactica," will join with Universal Media Studios to work on "Caprica." Rene Aubuchon will co-write the "Caprica" pilot with Moore, and Jeff Reiner will direct it. Casting begins soon.

"True Believer" focuses on a comicbook nerd who hires a down-at-heels superhero, the duo pairing up to become crime fighters. Dawson is exec producer, and her co-author on the Image Comics book "Occult Crimes Task Force," David Atchinson, will write the script of "Believer" with Matthew Spradlin and Tom Feister.

In addition to "Scare Tactics," Sci Fi will bring back two other reality series: "Ghost Hunters International," a spinoff of "Ghost Hunter," and "Mind Control With Derren Brown." Brown is the British mentalist.

Sci Fi also said it will beef up its Internet presence with more original entertainment, a more elaborate gaming site and a number of initiatives linked to the final season of "Battlestar."

And the network has persuaded Richard Branson to join the board of its "Visions of Tomorrow" public affairs blueprint "to champion," said Sci Fi's Howe, "a fresh and hopeful outlook on the future."

'Scare Tactics' Returns to Sci Fi

Tracy Morgan to host; 'Tin Man' team takes on 'Alice in Wonderland'

March 19, 2008

After a nearly four-year hiatus, "Scare Tactics" is returning to the Sci Fi Channel.

The cable network has also renewed "Mind Control with Derren Brown" and greenlit several pilots (both scripted and unscripted), including an adaptation of the comic book "The Stranded," a modern-day take on "Alice in Wonderland" from the "Tin Man" team and an offbeat superhero show that actress Rosario Dawson will executive produce.

"Scare Tactics" last aired on Sci Fi in December 2004. The relaunched show will get a new host in "30 Rock" star Tracy Morgan but will retain its premise of friends and loved ones putting unsuspecting marks into elaborately staged scary situations put on by a team of actors and effects and makeup artists. Scott Hallock and Kevin Healey return as executive producers.

Sci Fi has also ordered six more episodes of "Mind Control," which features mentalist Brown for the fall and is working on two pilots: the haunted-house treasure hunt "Estate of Panic" and "Brain Trust," in which a team of geniuses seeks new solutions to common problems. NBC News anchor Lester Holt will also host a special called "Mystery of the Crystal Skulls" that looks into the real-life objects that helped inspire the latest " Indiana Jones" film.

On the scripted side, "Tin Man" director Nick Willing and producers Robert Halmi Sr. and Robert Halmi Jr. are teaming up for "Alice," a six-hour miniseries based on "Alice in Wonderland." Willing is also set to write the script.

Dawson ("Grindhouse," "Sin City") is executive producing a two-hour movie/back-door pilot called "True Believer." Written by David Atchinson and Matthew Spradlin, the show centers on a comic-book geek who hires a down-on-his-luck superhero to teach him the basics of crime-fighting.

Other projects include "The Stranded," based on the Sci Fi/Virgin Comics title about five people who discover they're actually from another world; and "Deputized," about a guy who's accidentally drafted into an intergalactic police force.

20 Minutes!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's wrong how excited I am for BSG :unsure: tonight!

Yeah, I'm totally pissed we have to wait two weeks for the next new one...

20 Minutes!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's wrong how excited I am for BSG :unsure: tonight!

Yeah, I'm totally pissed we have to wait two weeks for the next new one...

:angry: Yup, but Tigh & his "I am soooo F*%cked" face kind of makes up for it :D

TV Squad

Sci-Fi Channel isn't just about sci-fi, says Sci-Fi Channel

Posted May 19th 2008 11:24AM by Bob Sassone

Filed under: Other Sci-Fi/Supernatural Shows, Industry, Programming, Reality-Free

I always get antsy when companies start to go beyond their niche. I mean, does Dunkin' Donuts really have to start selling pizza and sandwiches too?

The Sci-Fi Channel is expanding beyond the worlds of Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek, and sci-fi in general. We've already seen wrestling on the network, and the execs at the network say that more stuff like that is coming. Sci-Fi Channel GM Dave Howe says that the definition of the network is "What if?" As in "What if The Sci-Fi Channel made a bunch of really shitty made for television movies?" This "What If" slogan also includes movies like Field of Dreams. Execs are even thinking about changing the name of the channel.

Needless to say, many science fiction fans aren't happy with this, including members of The Science Fiction Writers of America. TV fans are already upset for TV Land airing more and more reality shows and movies, and now this. What's next? TCM airing cooking shows and auto racing?

Hmm, they tried changing a couple years ago, but went back to more "pure" scifi because the change didn't help their ratings.....Wonder why they'd try the same thing again???

I rarely watch it as it is, but then again I rarely watch TV anymore. Battlestar Galactica did them in for me. I am now waiting for a remade Star Trek series which shows Kirk and Spock as gay S & M lovers, and McCoy as a drug dealer.

I know there is some TV producer who might read this and say "now wait, wouldn't that work?"

Some things are sacred! That means you don't Ef with them!

:angry: They dropped the Fab MST3K because it was't Sci-Fi enough & now they are doing crap like this??? :angry:

Of course most of the "original" movies are just some straight to video martial arts in space crap so the Sci was pretty much gone anyway <_<

It really irks me b/c I'm a huge sci-fi watcher and it's getting tougher to find it on tv. Secondly, they could and have done some good shows, but then go and cancel them. Dresden Files. Farscape. I'm sure there's more. Or they screw around with shows that are running along just fine (killing off Dr. Beckett on SG Atlantis). Why develop some new shows that will generate some buzz instead of showing wrestling?