cydonia

Sci Fi TV

'Battlestar' Ratings Dip on Sunday

Midseason premiere is down from October and July 2005 premieres

"Battlestar Galactica" has moved to Sunday, but the shift couldn't stop its downward-trending ratings.

The critically adored Sci Fi Channel series did a 1.4 household rating and brought in 1.8 million viewers for its Sunday (Jan. 21) midseason premiere. That's down from the 2.2 million viewers who tuned in for the show's October premiere in its original Friday home. Those numbers were down from the 3.1 million who watched the show's second season premiere in July of 2005.

Although "Battlestar Galactica" was clobbered by CBS' extraordinarily popular AFC championship football game, Sci Fi was able to find plenty of positives. The Peabody-winning drama was basic cable's top program for the day among adults 18-49 and was up 60 percent in that demo from the totals for the Dec. 15 midseason finale. The show may have become football counterprogramming, as viewership was particular strong among female viewers, up 68 percent among women 18-49 from the December finale.

Sci Fi got similar numbers from the series premiere of "The Dresden Files," which pulled in 1.7 million viewers, though the freshman drama's 882,000 viewers among adults 18-49 was far below the 1.3 million in the demo for "Battlestar."

Ex-Eastender Zoe transformed into Bionic Woman

Former EastEnder Michelle Ryan is to star in a U.S. remake of Seventies TV show The Bionic Woman, it was announced today.

Ryan, who played Zoe Slater in the BBC soap, beat a host of Hollywood names to the role and was chosen after an exhaustive search.

She will play Jamie Sommers, a tennis pro who suffers a near-fatal skydiving accident before her body is transformed with $50m-worth of bionic wizardry.

Producers say the pilot show for US network NBC will be a "re-imagination" of the original, a spin-off from cult hit The Six Million Dollar Man, which ran from 1976 to 1978 and starred Lindsay Wagner.

Ryan, 22, quit EastEnders in 2005 after five years as one of the Slater sisters.

Since then she has appeared in British romantic comedy Cashback and will soon be seen opposite Billie Piper in the ITV adaptation of Jane Austen’s Mansfield Park.

The London-born actress has been quietly working to establish a career for herself in Hollywood.

Industry magazine Variety said: "NBC considered some better-known actresses, but ultimately went with someone who’ll be a newcomer to most American viewers."

Ex-Eastender Zoe transformed into Bionic Woman

Former EastEnder Michelle Ryan is to star in a U.S. remake of Seventies TV show The Bionic Woman, it was announced today.

Ryan, who played Zoe Slater in the BBC soap, beat a host of Hollywood names to the role and was chosen after an exhaustive search.

She will play Jamie Sommers, a tennis pro who suffers a near-fatal skydiving accident before her body is transformed with $50m-worth of bionic wizardry.

Producers say the pilot show for US network NBC will be a "re-imagination" of the original, a spin-off from cult hit The Six Million Dollar Man, which ran from 1976 to 1978 and starred Lindsay Wagner.

Ryan, 22, quit EastEnders in 2005 after five years as one of the Slater sisters.

Since then she has appeared in British romantic comedy Cashback and will soon be seen opposite Billie Piper in the ITV adaptation of Jane Austen’s Mansfield Park.

The London-born actress has been quietly working to establish a career for herself in Hollywood.

Industry magazine Variety said: "NBC considered some better-known actresses, but ultimately went with someone who’ll be a newcomer to most American viewers."

Hmm...I watch Eastenders on PBS, which is a few years behind the UK eps, so she's still on the eps that I'm watching now. I have to say, she's really not a very good actress. Pretty though.

Spoilers ahoy...

Chicago Tribune - The Watcher

Amanda Tapping joins 'Stargate Atlantis'

Changes are afoot in outer space.

“Stargate SG-1” is wrapping up its long run with 10 episodes that begin airing April 13, Sci Fi Channel announced Tuesday. A spinoff series, “Stargate Atlantis,” will also air 10 episodes of its third season starting on the same date.

The biggest news, however, is that Amanda Tapping, who played “Stargate SG-1’s” Samantha Carter for 10 seasons, will join the main cast of “Atlantis” for its fourth season, which arrives in the fall.

Tapping will be in 14 of the 20 Season 4 episodes of “Atlantis,” which, like “SG-1,” revolves around intrepid explorers using wormhole technology to travel all over the universe (an activity that often leads to epic battles with alien bad guys).

Torri Higginson, who plays Elizabeth Weir, the head of the “Stargate Atlantis” mission, will be a recurring character in Season 4, executive producer Joseph Mallozzi said in a phone interview from the show’s Vancouver set. Mallozzi couldn’t say for sure how many fourth-season episodes Higginson would be in; that number is in “a state of flux,” he said.

Mallozzi didn’t want to be specific about how Higginson and Tapping’s characters will fit into the command structure of the Atlantis expedition in Season 4, but he did say that Carter will provide “more of a support role.”

“She’ll be an important member of the Atlantis expedition, but the Atlantis team is the Atlantis team. The stories will focus on them as a team and on them in terms of the development of the characters. Sam isn’t there to overshadow what we have in place but to support it,” Mallozzi said.

But Carter’s background as an astrophysicist will mean that Rodney McKay (David Hewlett), the snarky in-house genius on “Atlantis,” will have another scientific brain to pick.

“She can take some of that workload off David -- David has a terrific amount of technobabble” on the show, Mallozzi said. Carter’s experience as a military officer, a warrior and a leader will also come in handy, he said.

Mallozzi would not confirm one development that has been widely discussed on “Stargate” fan sites for months, which is the death of “Atlantis” doctor Carson Beckett, who’s played by Paul McGillion. The actor told Starburst magazine that his character is killed off in an upcoming Season 3 episode called “Sunday” (which has already aired in Canada).

“Needless to say I was stunned, for lack of a better word. I didn’t see that coming at all. Personally, I felt like I was doing a good job on the program and I think the producers thought so as well. …. I was sad and disappointed by their decision, but yet this is a business. I understand that and I respect these guys for giving me the chance to play a character like Carson Beckett,” McGillion told Starburst.

Mallozzi would neither confirm or deny the death of Beckett, but he did say, speaking hypothetically, that in the realm of sci fi, even “dead” characters have a way of turning up again in some way. Could Beckett make an appearance in Season 4? “It’s possible,” Mallozzi said. “This is sci fi, no one is every gone for good.”

He added that if the character were to exit, Beckett would not “ascend,” as Daniel Jackson did when his character exited for a season. “I can guarantee you that will not be the route we go,” Mallozzi said.

Asked whether any other cast members of “Atlantis” are leaving, he said, “stay tuned on that one.”

Jewel Staite, of Joss Whedon’s “Firefly,” will join “Atlantis” for eight episodes as Dr. Keller, “a physician who joins the Atlantis expedition,” according to a Sci Fi press release. (Staite already had a guest role on the show as a different character, a Wraith child named Ellia).

Mallozzi said that Season 4 of “Atlantis” would also feature the arrival of a new alien race, one that will be an “unpredictable wild card.”

“Looking over the 10 stories we’ve been thinking about” for the first half of Season 4 of “Atlantis,” Mallozzi said, “the easiest way to put it is that a lot of [stuff] is going to go down. Some fans will not like it, some fans will love it. We’re going to get movement on characters, and we’ll have some fairly character-centric stories. We’re going to develop an aspect of the Wraith, and we’re going to have this new wild-card race,” he said.

There were no plans at present, he said, to have Ben Browder (who plays “SG-1’s” Cameron Mitchell), Claudia Black (“SG-1’s” Vala Mal Doran) or Michael Shanks (“SG-1’s” Daniel Jackson) guest on “Atlantis,” but Mallozzi didn’t rule it out.

“They’re going to be in the two [‘Stargate SG-1’ DVD] movies” that are being filmed this spring, Mallozzi said. As far as bringing them back to “Atlantis,” “it’s a matter of coming up with a believable story and the actors’ availability and everything else. At this point it makes more sense for Teal’c or for Daniel Jackson to come to ‘Atlantis’ than for [Cameron] Mitchell."

He added that Christopher Judge, who plays Teal’c on “SG-1,” will guest on one early fourth season episode of “Atlantis.”

Ex-EastEnders star Michelle Ryan set for massive success as Bionic Woman

Last updated at 16:17pm on 11th May 2007

Former Eastenders actress Michelle Ryan is set for massive success in the US with her new series the 'Bionic Woman.'

Seen here in the first images released of her in the role, Ryan will play Jamie Sommers, a tennis pro who suffers a near-fatal skydiving accident before her body is transformed with £25million worth of bionic wizardry.

Michelle Ryan as the Bionic Woman: The ex-EastEnders star is set for massive success stateside as her pilot show as been picked up for a complete series

The actress best known for her role as Zoe Slater in EastEnders beat off stiff competition from Hollywood actresses to land the role.

US TV bosses are so pleased with the pilot, they have commissioned a series which will be shown later this year.

In these new shots from the pilot of the show, Ryan can be seen waking up with her new legs after the accident that put her in hospital. She also receives a bionic eye and a bionic arm.

The 23-year-old actress told website Access Hollywood : "I'm a bit of an adrenaline junkie, so I kind of enjoyed it all."

"I know, the title 'Bionic Woman' - everybody has these iconic images, but I think with this series, what they want to do is make it very real...So Jamie Sommers is the girl next door, and she has had sort of a tragic younger life."

The series promises plenty of fighting and high-octane action for fans of the original.

In stills from the show Ryan can be seen leaping from tall buildings, and engaging in martial arts style fighting in the driving rain.

An unknown in the US, except maybe to EastEnders fans, the London-born actress has been quietly working to establish a career for herself in Hollywood.

Ryan has also starred in feature film "I Want Candy" alongside Carmen Electra and upcoming horror movie "Flick" with Faye Dunaway.

Eureka is starting up again in a couple weeks (July 10 I think) and Ausiello (of tvguide.com) says the first two episodes are really good. I'm excited, but bummed that all the summer shows I want to watch seem to be on Tuesdays at 9:00pm <_<

Sci Fi Orders More 'Eureka'

Another run of 'Destination Truth' also ordered

September 27, 2007

Sci Fi Channel has ordered a third season of the quirky dramedy "Eureka," plus a second season of the the investigative reality series "Destination Truth."

The cable network announced the pick-ups on Thursday (Sept. 27), saying that production on the new run of "Eureka" will begin in Vancouver early next year, with a summer 2008 premiere date. Sci Fi has ordered 13 more hours.

The next six hours of "Destination Truth" will also premiere in 2008.

"'Eureka' rose to an even higher creative level in its sophomore season, combining entertaining, compelling stories with deeper character development and great cast chemistry. And clearly the audience noticed, bringing millions of new viewers to the Channel," says Mark Stern, Sci Fi's executive vice president of original programming. "'Destination Truth' with Josh Gates proved to be a great addition to our Wednesday night lineup and the perfect companion piece for 'Ghost Hunters.'"

The stars of "Eureka" -- or Colin Ferguson, Salli Richardson, Joe Morton, Jordan Hinson and Ed Quinn at the very least -- are all slated to return for the third season of adventures in the eponymous Pacific Northwest community of geniuses. The show's July 18, 2006 premiere remains the highest rated series telecast in Sci Fi history.

Sci Fi boasts that "Destination Truth" brought in over a million new viewers over its 6-week run last summer. The series features "adventurer and truth-seeker" Josh gates traveling the world investigating notorious unexplained mysteries. It's June 2007 premiere was the highest-rated premiere for an alternative reality series on Sci Fi since the debut of 'Ghost Hunters' in 2004.

Woo-hoo--I love Eureka!! Hubby worried it jumped the shark with a couple of too-odd episodes in the 1st season, but the 2nd season has been awesome!! Odd, yes, but this IS sci-fi!

:lol: Love Eureka & the pheromone episode was my all time favorite[so far]!!

Any word on when Harry will be back?? I am in Dresden withdrawl :(

It's not coming back :(

SciFi didn't see fit to give it another season. Too bad as I really enjoyed Harry.

SciFi didn't see fit to give it another season. Too bad as I really enjoyed Harry.

Yeah, I liked Dresden too.

What :blink: I thought they picked it up. Fools run that place <_<

What :blink: I thought they picked it up. Fools run that place <_<

It's better than it used to be -- 2 years ago, they didn't have ANY SCI-FI shows on. It was ridiculous. That was new management. Guess the backlash worked--they did start airing sci-fi stuff again, and some really good shows that are doing well, but I guess Dresden just wasn't one that was doing well :(

Be nice if they re-ran some 70's sci-fi shows...Incredible Hulk, Six Million Dollar Man, Bionic Woman(so they can show the new version how to get it right).

Be nice if they re-ran some 70's sci-fi shows...Incredible Hulk, Six Million Dollar Man, Bionic Woman(so they can show the new version how to get it right).

True! I don't think any of those are airing on TVLand either...I think the time is right :D

'Lost' Heads to Sci Fi, G4

Reruns of ABC series to start next year

October 16, 2007

By fall 2008, fans of "Lost" will be staring at only two more seasons of the show. But they'll also be able to relive the first four.

Geek-centric cable networks Sci Fi and G4 have secured rerun rights to the ABC series, ensuring that "Lost" obsessives who have worn out their DVDs will have a place to watch the series beyond the show's projected 2010 end date.

"'Lost' is an incredible series that has captured the imagination of the viewing public, and Sci Fi is extremely proud to add 'Lost' to our programming lineup," says Thomas Vitale, head of programming at the Sci Fi Channel. The network is planning weekly mini-marathons of the show, which Vitale calls "a pure form" and "the best way to get involved" with the show.

Sci Fi has also paid for the right to stream a handful of episodes on its web site.

G4, meanwhile, will give the "2.0" treatment to "Lost." As it's done with "Star Trek" reruns and even "Cops," the network's "Lost" reruns will add interactive elements that fit with the show's dedicated online following. G4 (which also won rerun rights to NBC's "Heroes" last week) has exclusive weekend cable rights to the show and will also stream some episodes.

Both networks will start airing "Lost" reruns in fall 2008, by which time they'll have a library of 87 episodes at their disposal.

'Stargate: Atlantis' Renewed for Fifth Season

The 'Stargate' franchise continues on Sci Fi

October 24, 2007

Although "Stargate SG-1" bids adieu to the Sci Fi Channel after its 10th and final season, its spin-off "Stargate Atlantis" will get new life.

The popular sci fi show has been renewed for a 20-episode fifth season, it was announced Wednesday, Oct. 24.

"SCI FI is proud to bring 'Atlantis' back for another season," says Mark Stern, Executive Vice President, Original Programming for the network. "'Atlantis' truly came out from under the shadow of its sister series this year and proved that it's a hit in its own right. With this season's exciting new characters and vibrant storylines, 'Atlantis' also shows every sign of matching its sibling's longevity."

In the "Stargate" universe, a network of ancient alien devices called Stargates allows instantaneous interstellar travel between galaxies. "Stargate Atlantis" follows the adventures of the human military and civilian expedition to the lost city of Atlantis in the Pegasus Galaxy, discovering new enemies on the way to uncovering the secrets of the Ancients.

The fourth season, currently airing on Fridays, introduced two new cast members: "Stargate SG-1's" Amanda Tapping and "Firefly's" Jewel Staite. It also marked the temporary return of Paul McGillion, whose character Dr. Carson Beckett perished on the show.

The new season will begin production in early 2008.

Sci Fi Sets Great Store by 'Warehouse 13'

Dramedy set to shoot in December

October 25, 2007

The truth is out there, and it's in South Dakota.

The Sci Fi Channel has greenlit a two-hour pilot for the original series "Warehouse 13," which is described as "part 'X-Files,' part 'Raiders of the Lost Ark,' and part 'Moonlighting,'" it was announced Thursday, Oct. 25.

The show, based on a script by Rockne O'Bannon, Jane Espenson and D.Brent Mote, will be a one-hour dramedy produced by Universal Media Studios.

"Warehouse" centers on two FBI agents who are shunted off to South Dakota to monitor the secret Warehouse 13, where the U.S. government has deposited all of the strange artifacts, relics and supernatural objects it's stumbled across over the centuries. It's the agents' duty to not only keep on eye on the stuff, but also to track down anything that has gone missing, aided by the fact that usually something paranormal or supernatural occurs to indicate that an AWOL object has got amok.

The "Moonlighting" portion of the plot implies that the agents have some sort of chemistry between them.

"Like our successful series 'Eureka,' 'Warehouse 13' is a fun, intriguing concept that should continue to broaden our audience through present-day, relatable stories with an imaginative twist," said Mark Stern, Executive Vice President, Original Programming at the network. "Rockne has delivered a wonderful script and we can't wait to get this into production."

Production is scheduled to begin in December, shooting for a summer 2008 premiere.

Televisionary

Twinkle, Twinkle, Little "Star": Season Four of "Battlestar Galactica" Pushed Back

Well, frak me.

I've had a sinking feeling for a while now that Battlestar Galactica, scheduled to return in January 2008, would be pushed back. What with the whole no-official-launch-date song and dance from cabler Sci Fi.

Still, I had no idea that it would be pushed back quite as far as it has been.

That's right, folks. Other than the two-hour BSG prequel movie entitled "Razor" (slated to air on November 24th), you'll be waiting a long time to sate your need for a Battlestar fix; series' fourth season is now scheduled to blast off in April 2008, according to The Los Angeles Times.

Looks like we'll be waiting quite a while to find out just what the hell happened to Starbuck (if that really IS Kara Thrace) and just how much those four sleeper Cylons really do know about their mission.

Stay tuned.

'Battlestar Galactica' Goes Bigscreen

Special episode hits select theaters Nov. 12

October 26, 2007

Stephanie Jacobsen, 'Battlestar Galactica: Razor'"Battlestar Galactica" fans will have a chance to enjoy their favorite space drama on a bigger scale.

"Battlestar Galactica: Razor" will screen at select movie theaters on Monday, Nov. 12, nearly two weeks before it debuts on the Sci Fi Channel, it was announced Friday (Oct. 26).

"Razor" revolves around the harrowing adventures of young officer Kendra Shaw (Stephanie Jacobsen) who becomes a ruthless warrior under the wing of Battlestar Pegasus commander Admiral Helena Cain during a six-month siege by the Cylons. After Shaw proves herself as a battle-hardened protege, she finds difficulty dealing with Lee Adama (Jamie Bamber), whose first mission as a commander is replacing Cain on Pegasus.

The special two-hour extended episode will hit theaters, thanks to Sci Fi and Microsoft, in New York, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, Dallas and Seattle. Admission is free, but seats are extremely limited. Ticket information can be found at www.BattlestarEvent.com.

Fans not so fortunate to make to theaters can still catch "Razor" when it premieres on Sci Fi on Nov. 24.

It was also announced Thursday (Oct. 25) that creator Ronald D. Moore will make his directorial debut on the show this season. He will write the episode, which will begin shooting before Thanksgiving.

"I've thought about directing for a long time and this season seemed like the time to finally take the plunge," said Moore. "It'll be great to be working with the BSG family of cast and crew for my first experience behind the camera, and I'm really looking forward to it."

The fourth and final season of the show will return to television in early April 2008.

TV Squad

Torchwood return set for January

Posted Nov 21st 2007 3:01PM by Jason Hughes

Just as happened with parent series Doctor Who, those of us stateside won't have to wait as long after the British airing of Torchwood's second season to see it here, though ironically it has yet to be announced when it will premiere on BBC Two in the UK. TVGuide.com tells us the second season of BBC America's biggest hit comes to us beginning January 26. And with James Marsters (Buffy/Angel) dropping in for a guest shot, and Doctor Who's Freema Agyeman (companion Martha) checking in for an extended stay mid-season, this second go round with Captain Jack Harkness, Gwen and the gang is shaping up to be more exciting than the first.

Marsters will play a time-agent criminal who "goes around in different times killing people with no remorse at all." His character Spike, remains one of the most popular in the Buffy-verse, so I expect Torchwood's ratings to see another "spike." (Boo! Boo! Hiss! Get off the stage!).

Ageyman, who left the Doctor's side at the close of his third season to stay behind on Earth, reprises her role as Martha Jones from that series in Torchwood. It is promised that she will be rejoining the Doctor at some point in the fourth season of that show, and as the two series share a reality, one would surmise she will finish her stint on Torchwood just in time to go gallivanting around time in the Tardis again.

Meanwhile, John Barrowman (Jack Harkness) will stay back on earth and defend the human race from threats alien and bizarre. It's like The X-Files without all the angst. Rather than whine and cry and be emotionally scarred by being abducted by aliens like Mulder, Captain Jack runs laughing like a crazed banshee to jump onto the Tardis so he can hijack a ride with an alien (the Doctor). Maybe it's because the Doctor isn't big on probing. And if he were, the sonic screwdriver isn't really that big anyway ... wow, that took an ugly turn.

Hey, this is pretty cool! Has anyone else seen this?

"Stargate Atlantis" has been nominated for a People's Choice Award, in the Favorite Sci-Fi Show category! This is great! It's not very often one of the shows I like gets nominated for an award!

I found a video on the MGM Stargate website about it, too. It's basically a video for people to download and post on their profile and community pages, to help get the word out and get people to vote for Atlantis. Pretty cool idea. If you wanna check it out, it's at: http://stargate.mgm.com/video.php?id=81

Oh, and if you want to help Stargate Atlantis win the People's Choice Award, just log on to www.pcavote.com and vote for it! I think you can vote everyday, but there's only 3 days left to vote!

So anyway, I just thought it was pretty awesome. I'm going to go vote for Atlantis right now. It'd be pretty cool if it won! Make sure to let your friends know to vote, too!

:lol:

-Valerie

An Official Team Stargate Member

I would be much more impressed with the People choice awards if they put SGA or BSG in the actual favorite show category, instead of best sci-fi. Kind of like the GG's nominating the Simpsons a few years ago for best Comedy.