Sign in to follow this  
princess

"Carly Simon’s ""Your So Vain"" Name"

<em>I'd love to know who this is!!</em>Carly Spills Beans on "Vain" NameEOnline.comby Lia HabermanAug 5, 2003, 12:30 PM PT<strong>NBC exec Dick Ebersol has paid $50,000 to learn the best-kept secret this side of Deep Throat.No, it's not the recipe to the Colonel's blend of 11 herbs and spices but the inspiration for Carly Simon's 1972 ode to arrogance, "You're So Vain."</strong>The Grammy-winning singer had put the mystery person's identity up for auction Monday to raise funds for charity and on Tuesday morning, Ebersol, chairman of NBC Sports and NBC Olympics, was revealed as the winning bidder on NBC?s Today show. (We're sure the synergy of that move was a fortuitous coincidence.)For his hefty contribution, Ebersol will get a private performance of the hit song, a lunch of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and, oh yeah, will learn the secret identity of the former lover who inspired Simon to pen lines like "You're so vain, I'll bet you think this song is about you. Don't you?"However, don't expect an NBC exposé on the subject any time soon. Ebersol had to sign a confidentiality agreement, meaning he can't share the information with anyone, including several million curious TV viewers.And the TV man's unlikely to divulge. "It won't be hard to keep a secret," he said on the Today show.But the network brass did reveal a clue Simon gave him about the person's identity: He has the letter "e" in his name.That could refer to any number of suspects who have kept people guessing for the past three decades, including Simon's husband at the time, James Taylor, former lover and renowned ladies man Warren Beatty, or Mick Jagger, who sang backup on the song.Simon, who's won bookend Oscars and Grammys, has always kept mum on the subject. And while she's had a string of hits since the early '70s, including "Haven't Got Time for the Pain" and "Nobody Does It Better," none of her songs have captivated the public's imagination like "Vain."And according to Simon's soon-to-be co-conspirator, Ebersol, the money was well worth a secret he'll have to take to the grave."It's a great cause and I wanted to make sure Carly didn't have to tell a total stranger," said Ebersol.The auction, which also offered meals with celebs, including twosomes Ted Danson and Mary Steenburgen and Diane Sawyer and Mike Nichols, raised a total of $500,000 to benefit Martha's Vineyard Community Services.

This whole thing is crap. They made such a big deal that she'd finally tell, but he had to sign a confidentiality agreement.  What's the big whoop? Just tell us already.

Guest Espie

What a rip off.&nbsp; I always thought it was about Warren Beatty?!?&nbsp; I'm sure I read or heard that a long time ago.&nbsp;

Carly Simon Sues Starbucks Over Album

Sixties icon CARLY SIMON is suing Starbucks, blaming bosses of the coffee chain's record label for the poor sales of her 2008 album THIS KIND OF LOVE.

Simon signed a deal to release the Brazilian-themed disc through Starbucks' Hear Music label.

The record sold just 124,000 copies, a third of the sales of her 2005 album Moonlight Serenade.

Its poor performance has forced Simon to cancel her retirement plans, and she's accusing Starbucks of mismanaging the project.

In a lawsuit filed on Friday (09Oct09), Simon alleges label bosses halved her advance, and have yet to pay her what she is owed.

She also claims Starbucks scaled back its Hear Music venture just days after signing her, handing day-to-day management of the album to a new partner.

The lawsuit accuses Starbucks executives of promotional negligence, alleging they failed to stock her CD in many of its stores - and failed to warn her about the downgrading of their involvement with Hear Music.

Simon's lawyer says, "Instead of advising her as soon as they could that this was a problem, Starbucks kept it secret, and they tried to deceive her even after they made the so-called public announcement."

The singer claims the fiasco has left her in financial difficulty, owing money on her home in Massachusetts and forcing her to record another album, Never Been Gone, through her son's record label.

Her lawsuit demands between $5 million (£3.3 million) and $10 million (£6.6 million) from Starbucks, alleging "concealment of material facts", "tortuous interference" with the contract, and "unlawful, unfair and fraudulent business practices".

A Starbucks spokesman has responded in a statement that reads, "(We are) disappointed to hear that (Simon) may be taking this action. Starbucks has great respect for Ms. Simon and is hopeful that this matter can be resolved in an amicable manner."

Source contactmusic

Simon Sings To Surgery Patients

Seventies icon CARLY SIMON helps to put her surgeon friend's patients at ease as they prepare to go under the knife by serenading them in the operating room.

The You're So Vain singer admits she often accompanies laparoscopic surgeon Richard Koehler when he conducts procedures at a hospital in Plymouth, Massachusetts as she is intrigued by the medical marvels.

And Simon, who rarely performs in concert due to her crippling stagefright, even accepts song requests during the keyhole surgery.

She tells the New York Post, "One of them asked for Haven't Got Time for the Pain. I told them how much fun it was, and that I was going to be holding their hand when they woke up, too.

"And then I watched the surgery and everybody thought that I was going to be grossed out and have to be taken from the room on a stretcher. I wasn't at all. I was fascinated by it."

But she will be absent from the operating room for several weeks next year (10) when she embarks on a tour of Europe - for the first time in her 38-year career.

Source contactmusic

Carly Simon rebounds by revisiting old songs on CD

By CHARLES J. GANS, Associated Press Writer

Carly Simon felt like quitting the music business last year after a once-promising relationship with a record label ended in a messy breakup. But she now feels reinvigorated after her son, Ben Taylor, pushed her to make an indie album, "Never Been Gone," on which she revisits her most famous songs.

The 64-year-old singer-songwriter says the largely acoustic arrangements enabled her to reconnect with how she felt when she first wrote songs like her ironic first hit "That's The Way I've Always Heard It Should Be" or "The Right Thing to Do" before her producers added instrumental tracks.

"I went back to being that little girl with just the single guitar or piano," she said, holding her brown poodle Molly on her lap during an interview. "I made them different because it was like something that had frozen in time that got defrosted and then ... you can shape it whatever way you wanted."

Simon said she's now "in a really positive head space" compared to a year ago. She had been wooed by Starbucks' Hear Music label which had successfully marketed albums by Paul McCartney and ex-husband James Taylor through its coffee houses. But just days before the April 2008 release of her Brazilian-flavored CD "This Kind of Love," her first collection of original songs in eight years, Starbucks announced it was pulling back from the music business. Simon felt like her record had been "aborted" without the promised marketing push.

"It was really disheartening," she said. "I just thought, 'This isn't for me. I'm just going to go into playing with dolphins ... into saving the rain forest ... doing all sorts of heart work.' And Ben said, `Oh no, you're not. You're going to make another record and we're going to do it here for no money.'"

Simon took up the challenge from her son, Ben Taylor — who played guitar, sang backup and wrote arrangements — to rerecord her old songs for an album he co-produced for his independent Iris label.

"He got me going when I didn't think I could go," she said. "He got me singing notes that I didn't think I could sing."

Simon — who included two new songs, "No Freedom" and "Songbird," among the 12 tracks — acknowledges that some longtime fans might have trouble getting used to changes to iconic recordings like "You're So Vain."

"Who would have guessed that those big drums and that big guitar solo (on the original recording) wouldn't be there and still there's something very interesting about the arrangement?" she said.

Simon found that the passing years caused her to rethink lyrics to songs like "Anticipation" or "Boys In The Trees," on which daughter Sally Taylor sings backup.

"When I first sang `Boys In The Trees,' it was from the point of view of a daughter getting all the subliminal information from my mother about boys," said Simon. "This version I was singing from a mother's perspective to a daughter."

Her musician friends — pianist Teese Gohl, guitarists Peter Calo and David Saw, and percussionist Larry Ciancia — deferred any payment and came to Martha's Vineyard. She was thrilled to work on an R&B version of "You Belong to Me" with godson John Forte, a former Fugees producer whose 14-year prison sentence on drug charges was commuted last year by President Bush.

"This was a labor of love with everybody rallying around Carly," said her longtime engineer and producer Frank Filipetti. "Carly threw herself into this with a new fervor that I hadn't seen in a long time. ... The best way to get Carly out of a funk is just to get her working."

Simon has filed a lawsuit against Starbucks alleging "unfair and fraudulent business practices."

"I don't want to leave this legacy to my children ... that you should just allow yourself to be stepped on," she said.

In a statement, Starbucks said it was "disappointed that Ms. Simon has brought a lawsuit." It added that the company carried out the "agreed upon marketing and promotional efforts" but "the title received tepid response from music consumers."

Simon overcame her stage fright to sing her classic hit "Let the River Run" in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. She's also planning her first-ever European tour next year despite her fear of flying. Her recording plans include a sequel to her 2005 standards album "Moonlight Serenade."

And Simon says her musical faucet continues to flow: "I always seem to have an available melody to me, it's sort of like breathing in a way."

source:sfgate.com