princess

Monk - no spoilers

EOnline.comSQUEAKY CLEAN: USA Network offering free car washes in Chicago, Detroit and Los Angeles in order to promote the fourth season of Monk, premiering July 8.

EOnline.comMORE MONK: USA Network renewing its hit detective series, Monk, for a fifth and sixth season and will start airing reruns by 2008.

'Monk' Returns to USA for Seventh Season

Series will return in July

February 20, 2008

Mr. Monk is on the case again.

The award-winning series "Monk," which stars Tony Shalhoub as the obsessive-compulsive private detective, has been picked up for an additional 16 episodes for its seventh season.

"You might say we were obsessed with making this deal," said Jeff Wachtel, USA's executive vice president, original programming.. "Let's face it, it's not easy to wash your hands of a show like 'Monk.' We have high hopes that this summer it will once again clean up in the ratings."

The first half of Season Seven will aiir in July, while the second half will see the light in January 2009.

On the show, Adrian Monk (Shalhoub) is a quirky former cop-turned-detective suffering from OCD who uses his remarkable powers of observation, impeccable logic and vast arcane knowledge to solve murders. Aiding him his assistant Natalie (Traylor Howard), Captain Leland Stottlemeyer (Ted Levine) and Lt. Randall Disher (Jason Gray-Stanford)

Shalhoub has earned three Emmy Awards, a Golden Globe Award and two SAG Awards for his portrayal of Monk.

Monk to Clean Up for One Last Season

Los Angeles (E! Online) – After six years of getting his hands dirty and then vigilantly scrubbing them clean, Monk is gearing up—probably pretty carefully—for his last case.

USA announced Friday that it has picked up its Emmy-winning detective series Monk for an eighth and final season that will air next summer.

The "Characters Welcome" network has ordered up 16 episodes, and E! News is hearing that the finale will clue Monk in on who killed his dearly departed wife Trudy, the tragedy that turned him into the OCD-addled mystery-solver who cable audiences have come to love.

"We want to build to a spectacular conclusion for this wonderful show," said Jeff Wachtel, executive VP of original programming for USA Network.

"By many measures, Monk is the most successful series in the history of basic cable television—and it was certainly the original tentpole of our 'Character' brand. Our fans have been extremely dedicated and season eight should prove to be a very satisfying reward."

Monk, which marked its 100th episode last month, averaged 5 million viewers per episode in 2008, so the series definitely isn't being put out to pasture on a downswing.

On whether playing such a neurotic, tic-ridden character has rubbed off on him over the years, three-time Emmy winner Tony Shalhoub told USA Weekend in June:

"I think I had low levels of those kinds of quirks, as a lot of people really do, but it's definitely grown over time. I'm not really the kind of actor who brings my work home with me so much, normally, but I sort of feel infected by this character in a way. I think about things that I normally wouldn't otherwise."

link

We watched the finale last night (thank you DVR). I love this show, and thought it remained good through its entire run. I also thought the finale was handled nicely. It's hard to end a series in a way that will make most people happy, and I think they tied up all the ends pretty well. In a way where you can imagine what each character continues to do. So that makes me happy. But no - I don't think anything else on air will fill the niche that Monk filled. And I don't care how many other great actors are on tv - Tony Shaloub deserved every single Emmy he won!!!!

This was one of my favorite shows. I was sad during the finale--I love Monk and have all of the seasons on DVD. It was something the kids and I could watch each week as a family. Tony Shaloub is a fantastic actor--I'm not sure Monk would have worked with anyone else.

I loved the finale!! So glad they answered the million dollar question. I liked the surprise that I did NOT see coming. I loved where they left monk. I'm also very happy about the ratings the finale pulled in.