MMM1

What are you reading?

I'll look up Ward--don't know if I'm familiar with that. I don't typically read "vampire" novels, though I have read some--I read the Blood Countess years ago. There's a fun series from Katie Macalister about vampires--really about Aisling Grey, a "Guardian" I like her stuff--quick beach reads. I actually just ordered the most recent one at the library a couple weeks ago...She has some other non-series books too. I guess I prefer my vampires lighthearted and sexy :D

I like Susan Elizabeth Phillips. Do you know when her next book comes out?

Unfortunately, not until February!! I'm dying here!!

I'll look up Ward--don't know if I'm familiar with that. I don't typically read "vampire" novels, though I have read some--I read the Blood Countess years ago. There's a fun series from Katie Macalister about vampires--really about Aisling Grey, a "Guardian" I like her stuff--quick beach reads. I actually just ordered the most recent one at the library a couple weeks ago...She has some other non-series books too. I guess I prefer my vampires lighthearted and sexy :D

Well, the Ward books are very romancey, like Katie MacAlister's...but darker. Not as light and funny. But the vamps are the good guys, and they are sexy as hell.I'm personally not so much into the vamps as good guys because I'm a real Buffy fan. I tend to be on the slayer's side, not so much wanting to hook up with the vamps--you know? I know there's the Anita Blake series which is about a vampire hunter, and I also heard about a new series coming that's like a Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but it's set in Jane Austen/Pride & Prejudice time period. That sounds interesting to me.

I was also able to get "The Historian" on a fantastic discount at Borders.woohoo

I just adored the Historian!!
I'm glad you liked it...I've been reading that people either really love it or really hate it. I'm just shocked that it was on the discount rack..they were going really fast :) It's going to be a while before I can get to it..I'm so behind in my reading.
If you liked the Historian, do you read a lot of vampire novels? JR Ward's new series is really good--hot sex and they're nice thick books that you don't read in a day. (Or at least, I don't!) The first one is Dark Lover.For me, I'm waiting for the new Susan Elizabeth Phillips book to come out. Anyone here like her too?
I've never really tried vampire novels (I never had the urge to read say Ann Rice). But I'm always up for something new..so I always try to keep note of the books suggested here and add them to my constantly growing "to read" list :D

I never could read the Anne Rice Vampire books! I read the witch series, and that's it for her stuff. Well, I LOVE the erotica she wrote under pseudonyms!! But I couldn't even get one chapter into Interview with a Vampire (and I can and have been known to read ANYTHING)

I never could read the Anne Rice Vampire books! I read the witch series, and that's it for her stuff. Well, I LOVE the erotica she wrote under pseudonyms!! But I couldn't even get one chapter into Interview with a Vampire (and I can and have been known to read ANYTHING)

OMG, I think we are soul sisters! Seriously.

Like you, I loved Anne Rice's Sleeping Beauty series...but just could never get through her vampire series.

Now, I love Buffy, but I'm not attracted to vampires--to me, they're the Bad Guys. Anyway, sounds like we have the same taste.

Speaking of erotica, have you ever read The Story of O? That's one of my favorites. And I know there's going to be an erotic version of the Phantom of the Opera published next July or August and I can't wait!!

Edited by madamecleo

OK, here's the real question of whether or not we're soul sisters Madamecleo--how do you feel about Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradey and the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon??For vamps, I am a fan of Buffy (tv show, not movie) but seeing as how I fell in love with Angel AND Spike, I can't view all vampires as bad, you know? :D I don't think I've read story of O but I probably own it--I went through an erotica period in college--have a pretty large collection but I haven't read it all. Wish I were at home to check--there's one title in particular I'll recommend if I can locate the book--ties in to ancient mythology too (another love of my youth)

OK, here's the real question of whether or not we're soul sisters Madamecleo--how do you feel about Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradey and the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon??For vamps, I am a fan of Buffy (tv show, not movie) but seeing as how I fell in love with Angel AND Spike, I can't view all vampires as bad, you know? :D I don't think I've read story of O but I probably own it--I went through an erotica period in college--have a pretty large collection but I haven't read it all. Wish I were at home to check--there's one title in particular I'll recommend if I can locate the book--ties in to ancient mythology too (another love of my youth)

oooh...this might be the deal-breaker. I <i>have</i> Mists of Avalon, but haven't read it. I started <i>Outlander</i> but never finished it...no particular reason, really. I know people just love those books...I guess it's because I'm not a real fan of Scottish stories--I like medieval England instead.Do you still love me??? LOL.I am totally with you on the Buffy thing--Angel is hot (except he doesn't have any hair on his chest, which bums me out) and brooding and I love him...and Spike is tragic and sexy and I love him. So they are my vamp exceptions, if you will.

OK, I still love you ;) I realize that fantasy fiction (even historical) doesn't do it for everybody. So I won't even tell you about all the other time travel romances that involve Highlanders that I like :D

OK, I still love you ;) I realize that fantasy fiction (even historical) doesn't do it for everybody. So I won't even tell you about all the other time travel romances that involve Highlanders that I like :D

What--Karen Marie Moning? Sandy Blair? Come on, spill. I might have read them, or might try them!

Karen Marie Moning is my favorite for time travel Highlanders. Julia London has some Highlanders (time appropriate) and some modern romances too. Kasey Michaels (no Highlanders. more murder mystery humor with a touch of fantasy thrown in--the Maggie series. She also writes "regular" romances that are cute) Another really cute fantasy romance is Kristine Grayson--fairy tale characters that are real (in modern times)--Thoroughly Kissed, Utterly Charming, Simply Irrestistible, Completely Smitten, Absolutely Captivated, Totally Spellbound.

Karen Marie Moning is my favorite for time travel Highlanders. Julia London has some Highlanders (time appropriate) and some modern romances too. Kasey Michaels (no Highlanders. more murder mystery humor with a touch of fantasy thrown in--the Maggie series. She also writes "regular" romances that are cute) Another really cute fantasy romance is Kristine Grayson--fairy tale characters that are real (in modern times)--Thoroughly Kissed, Utterly Charming, Simply Irrestistible, Completely Smitten, Absolutely Captivated, Totally Spellbound.

I loved Kasey Michaels' Regency historical novels; I've heard about the Maggie books--maybe I'll snag one and read them. They sound cute.I have a Moning book on my shelves and I will get to it. Someday.So...apparently Hoyaheel and I are the only historical readers on this board? Come on, chime in the rest of you! What historicals do you read? Edited by madamecleo

i don't know if i've read historicals...that term befuddles me. does in the company of the courtesan count as one? if so - i've read it and it was great.

anyway, i just finished foucault's pendulum. anyone ever slog through that? good lord what a book.

soho (or anyone), if you're interested, my review of it is up on my blog.

http://bookworship.blogspot.com/

Edited by fykeylicious

i don't know if i've read historicals...that term befuddles me. does in the company of the courtesan count as one? if so - i've read it and it was great.

anyway, i just finished foucault's pendulum. anyone ever slog through that? good lord what a book.

soho (or anyone), if you're interested, my review of it is up on my blog.

http://bookworship.blogspot.com/

Oooh, I've never read Foucault's Pendulum, but I've heard fabulous things about it. I need to dig me up a copy of it!

Has anyone read The Crimson Petal & the White? Michael Faber? It's really wonderful. The details in this book are fabulous.

You guys are good :)..I feel like such a reading slacker.I did finish "Wicked" (the life and times of the wicked witch of the west) by Gregory Maguire.

You guys are good :)..I feel like such a reading slacker.

I did finish "Wicked" (the life and times of the wicked witch of the west) by Gregory Maguire.

Sooo...what did you think of it? The green witch and the blue man sex? LOL. That's what I remember most from that book.

I thought it was a very interesting read, but I wouldn't read it again. I think Maguire is so smart for coming up with these great slants/twists on fairy tales. Wicked reminded me a little of Animal Farm.

I really went into Wicked wanting to like it. I did NOT like it. Mainly, it was the writing style and the way the plot moved, I think. (the musical, on the other hand--I have the soundtrack in my car and listen to it all the time!!) I tried to read the sequal, Son of a Witch, and couldn't get into it at all. Same with Foucault's Pendulum--wasn't able to get into it so I stopped. Finished a biography of Katharine Hepburn and 2 quick romances over the weekend, made it to the library on Saturday morning and picked up a couple more books to tide me over this week. But I really need to get some dissertation stuff done (then someone had to go and recommend a PhD student's fantasy book in another thread and I wanna read that--evil people!!)

I did think it was interesting but wasn't wild about it. Towards the end, all the politics,etc...ehhh I had enough. Oh yes, the "affair" cough...that was eyeopening :DI also thought the almost fast forwarding of the storyline was hard to handle..she's a baby..then next arc she's going to college..lol.I'm not sure if I'm going to try anymore of his books...I was expected to be Wowed with this one and it didn't happen.

I did think it was interesting but wasn't wild about it. Towards the end, all the politics,etc...ehhh I had enough. Oh yes, the "affair" cough...that was eyeopening :DI also thought the almost fast forwarding of the storyline was hard to handle..she's a baby..then next arc she's going to college..lol.I'm not sure if I'm going to try anymore of his books...I was expected to be Wowed with this one and it didn't happen.

LOL. My sentiments exactly.Hoya, the only reason I finished Wicked was because I was reading it for a book club. I have been dying to see the musical--it's coming here this fall, so I'm getting tickets.Has anyone read the Jasper Fforde mysteries...can't remember what the series is called, but it's about mysteries where the characters and books come to life, sort of...the first one is called The Eyre Affair.Oh, yeah, they're called the Tuesday Next series or something like that. My sister loves them; but I can't get into them.

LOL. My sentiments exactly.Hoya, the only reason I finished Wicked was because I was reading it for a book club. I have been dying to see the musical--it's coming here this fall, so I'm getting tickets.Has anyone read the Jasper Fforde mysteries...can't remember what the series is called, but it's about mysteries where the characters and books come to life, sort of...the first one is called The Eyre Affair.Oh, yeah, they're called the Tuesday Next series or something like that. My sister loves them; but I can't get into them.
I read the first Fforde book. I liked it alot...have the other two books but haven't read them yet.I just started "Cabinet of Curiousities" by Lincoln Child. I've always liked this writing team's books. I've read about all of them except for this series featuring Special Agent Pendergrass. So far so good.

I'm slogging through Collapse. It started out so engaging and then I just got fatigued. Maybe it's too repetitive - all these societies making the same mistakes over and over? Or maybe I'm just not in the mood. Who knows. Someday I'll finish it - I have four one-hour flights coming up... I'm currently stuck with the Vikings.

Started Goodnight Nobody by Jennifer Weiner last night. Not going well. Her voice always can be annoying, but it seems to have become increasingly irritating to me with Little Earthquakes and now this one. There's something about her self-consciously self-deprecating tone that's really all about feeling superior to other people...dunno, it's probably just me.

Started Goodnight Nobody by Jennifer Weiner last night. Not going well. Her voice always can be annoying, but it seems to have become increasingly irritating to me with Little Earthquakes and now this one. There's something about her self-consciously self-deprecating tone that's really all about feeling superior to other people...dunno, it's probably just me.

Hmmm...maybe I'll just put the Weiner book aside for a bit then. ;) I have JR Ward's second book calling to me...maybe I'll read that one.

You guys read vampire novels. What are the Laurell K Hamilton books like? Are they really explicit? :unsure: for the most part I like to use my imagination also are they really violent/gory as far at the vampire/neck stuff? I see she has a new book coming out and was wanting to get the scoop on her style of writing.

You guys read vampire novels. What are the Laurell K Hamilton books like? Are they really explicit? :unsure: for the most part I like to use my imagination also are they really violent/gory as far at the vampire/neck stuff? I see she has a new book coming out and was wanting to get the scoop on her style of writing.

They are very explicit sexually. I've heard people say that the first six or so are really good...fabulous...but because of a plot device, the latter ones start to become more sex than anything else. I haven't read them all myself, but I have heard this from many people.

They are pretty gory as far as violence goes, as well, from my understanding.

Hope this helps. Lots of people really love the books; if you were going to try one, I'd start with Guilty Pleasures, which is the first Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter book.