MMM1

What are you reading?

I guess I kind of expected Wicked to be political, since The Wizard of Oz was..... I enjoyed it but read it ages ago. Also bought another by him - I think it's called Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister - but I've never gotten around to reading it for some reason.

I'm going to start reading Godless: The Church of Liberalism , by that BITCH, Ann Coulter. I have read her last 2 attacks on Liberalism and have gotten a chuckle out of them, I just love seeing a conservative self destruct with word vomit.

I tried to read Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister, but couldn't get through it.I just finished The First Assistant (sequel to the Second Assistant). There is a hilarious and blatant reference to Tom and Katie. Has anyone else read it?

Trizzie writes:

I tried to read Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister, but couldn't get through it.

I'm feeling ya, Trizzie. I read it through because I, er, am all kinds of anal about leaving a book without finishing it, even if I hate it. (Heart of Darkness, for example.) It was interesting, though not just my cup o' tea. I ultimately prefer my reading fun as well as stimulating. Okay, a couple of mentions for you: Karen Harper, I think, The Other Boleyn: NOT The Other Boleyn Girl, to be turned into a movie. (Which is a pity, because beyond some nnnnnice scenes, there's a yummy love interest.) The story revolves around Mary Boleyn. I think this book was originally written in the 1970s/80s--Harper since does Elizabethan mystery, I think, but this book is just straight-up historical fiction. ETA the title is The Last Boleyn. --and not because I've read it lately, but because I recently saw it again on my shelf and almost teared up at the memory: Phantom, by Susan Kay. This is on my list of books I wish I'd written (along with the Harry Potter series). It's a first-person historical fic novel of the Phantom of the Opera's life, birth-death, and Erik here is just *sob* perfect. Edited by Leia1912

For any of you dog lovers, I just got done reading "Marley and Me." I cried my eyes out a couple of times! It reminds me of my disobedient basset hound. :wub:

I just finished The First Assistant (sequel to the Second Assistant). There is a hilarious and blatant reference to Tom and Katie. Has anyone else read it?

I finished reading it last night, and I was totally laughing about Jizzy staring at Tom Cruise at the Oscars. It was so obvious who Jizzy was based on.

I finished reading it last night, and I was totally laughing about Jizzy staring at Tom Cruise at the Oscars. It was so obvious who Jizzy was based on.

That cracked me up, too! :)

I am a huge doggie lover and I CANNOT read Marley & Me. I don't care how happy and cute the overall story is, the inevitable ending always kills me. My bad little doggie is living FOREVER, I tell you! FOREVER!

For any of you dog lovers, I just got done reading "Marley and Me." I cried my eyes out a couple of times! It reminds me of my disobedient basset hound. :wub:

The cover of that books keeps haunting me when I go to the bookstore. I'll be a pile of mush if I ever read it. :)

Started Goodnight Nobody by Jennifer Weiner last night. Not going well. Her voice always can be annoying, but it seems to have become increasingly irritating to me with Little Earthquakes and now this one. There's something about her self-consciously self-deprecating tone that's really all about feeling superior to other people...dunno, it's probably just me.

Bittermuch? I think we have the same reading list! I read Goodnight Nobody, but agree that Weiner is getting very annoying. Always the same theme - large insecure woman deserves wealthy, successful husband (or lover, or both). Which is a shame, because I really enjoyed In Her Shoes and the first one she wrote (Good in Bed, I think?)Am currently reading The Year of Magical Thinking. Very powerful and raw. Haven't finished it, but I think it is excellent so far and I'm constantly on the verge of tears reading it.After this, I think it's off to more fluff since I'm going on vacation next week - maybe the Second Assistant or something similar...

Started Goodnight Nobody by Jennifer Weiner last night. Not going well. Her voice always can be annoying, but it seems to have become increasingly irritating to me with Little Earthquakes and now this one. There's something about her self-consciously self-deprecating tone that's really all about feeling superior to other people...dunno, it's probably just me.

Bittermuch? I think we have the same reading list! I read Goodnight Nobody, but agree that Weiner is getting very annoying. Always the same theme - large insecure woman deserves wealthy, successful husband (or lover, or both). Which is a shame, because I really enjoyed In Her Shoes and the first one she wrote (Good in Bed, I think?)

Am currently reading The Year of Magical Thinking. Very powerful and raw. Haven't finished it, but I think it is excellent so far and I'm constantly on the verge of tears reading it.

After this, I think it's off to more fluff since I'm going on vacation next week - maybe the Second Assistant or something similar...

i read the year of magical thinking myself not that long ago. while reading it i was also on the verge of tears.

Blondie, we ARE reading the same books! How funny.I loved The Year of Magical Thinking, too, and found it quite moving either in spite of or because of Didion's spare, cool style. I needed something light and easy after far too much heavy reading at work, so I just started a legal thriller called The Lincoln Lawyer. So far yummy fast-moving trashiness with more substance than most legal thrillers...

Has anybody read Lori Lansons THE GIRLS??It's not for the squeamish (it's about conjoined twins), but I thought it was fascinating.

You know, I started Shteyngart's other book The Russian Debutante's Handbook, but I didn't get very far. I should pick it up again and see if I can read it now. Absurdistan was not a good read, huh?

You know, I started Shteyngart's other book The Russian Debutante's Handbook, but I didn't get very far. I should pick it up again and see if I can read it now. Absurdistan was not a good read, huh?

ugh no, i ranted about it on my site if you're interested. boring as hell.

yeah, this thread has not exactly helped me curb my Amazon habit...

Public library!!! Getting a library card is the first thing I do whenever I move to a new place! Since I moved to my current home, I've even been on the board of the Friends of the Library (I figure $100 tax-deductible donation every year is a LOT cheaper than what my Amazon bill would be if I bought all the stuff I read) I go through too much stuff--only buy textbooks (not so many anymore, thankfully) or reference books. I clean up at book sales too--but after I read those I give them away or back to the library for the next book sale we hold....

Wow, but library books can't just sit on my bedstand while I read the sixty million other books I have in line.... That is a good idea though. I should walk over to the downtown branch at lunch next time I don't have some work lunch thing. Part of my problem is that I'm trapped in front of a computer in my office all day and Amazon is just there and it's just so quick and easy to find the book! Then in a couple of days I get a fun package at my front door and it's really exciting. Yes, I'm sad.

I actually surf the library site at lunch - and place books on hold. They come in in a couple of days - if they aren't already on the shelf. You get a phone call and pick it up on the way home. You can even renew books on line now. And I live in a rural area. I read an average of 3 books a week, so I NEED the library!!!! :lol:

Edited by branchop

i'm currently reading zadie smith's the autograph man. gave up on absurdistan. anyone read either of these?

i've only read white teeth and I was kind of meh about it, even though most people seem to really enjoy it. How is the autograph man?