MMM1

What are you reading?

Just finished The Starter Wife by Gigi Levangie Grazer. Odd, but fun. I enjoyed it. I just read that the USA Network cast Debra Messing to star in a six-hour miniseries adapted from the novel.

I enjoyed that one as well. I tried to read her other novel (the name escapes me right now. I want to say it was Maneater) but I couldn't get into it.
Guess she got a better ghost-writer for the 2nd book?? :rolleyes: I liked the Starter Wife as a quickie, though I didn't find it especially well-written, it was an entertaining bit of fluff....

Guess she got a better ghost-writer for the 2nd book?? I liked the Starter Wife as a quickie, though I didn't find it especially well-written, it was an entertaining bit of fluff....

That has to be the answer. Agreed, SW wasn't well-written, but a nice light read. :)

I have been reading a lot of Ann Rule true crime books, as well as Jackie Collins novels, which are always so fun and easy to read. Any suggestions for a book you just can't put down?

AAAAAAAAAAA you said Ann Rule.I bought the Ted Bundy book of hers about five or six years ago and read about halfway through before I got so freaked out that I had to hide the book behind all the other books in my bookcase and never look at it again. I didn't sleep that night at all. When I was packing to move out of that apartment a year later I found it and got all spooked out again. I've moved again since then and it's still wedged behind the other paperbacks in one of my bookcases lest I catch sight of it some lonely evening....

AAAAAAAAAAA you said Ann Rule.I bought the Ted Bundy book of hers about five or six years ago and read about halfway through before I got so freaked out that I had to hide the book behind all the other books in my bookcase and never look at it again. I didn't sleep that night at all. When I was packing to move out of that apartment a year later I found it and got all spooked out again. I've moved again since then and it's still wedged behind the other paperbacks in one of my bookcases lest I catch sight of it some lonely evening....

what book is that? sounds good!

The Stranger Beside Me. I think, but I could be wrong, that it was the basis for the Ted Bundy miniseries starring Mark Harmon.

When I was like eight years old, I read a book excerpt in the back of a Reader's Digest at my grandma's house about Ted Bundy. Scared me silly, but probably also started my sick fascination with Bundy and other serial killers. It still scares me silly yet I can't stay away. For some reason that book pushed me over the edge, though, and I must stay away from it or I will be convinced that every sound my dog makes in the night is Bundy creeping through my window to get me.

Now that I'm thinking about scarring things I read at my grandma's house, that reminds me of Helter Skelter. After less than a hundred pages I had to hide that one behind some other books on a very high shelf in my grandpa's den.

Edited by bittermuch?

The Stranger Beside Me. I think, but I could be wrong, that it was the basis for the Ted Bundy miniseries starring Mark Harmon.

When I was like eight years old, I read a book excerpt in the back of a Reader's Digest at my grandma's house about Ted Bundy. Scared me silly, but probably also started my sick fascination with Bundy and other serial killers. It still scares me silly yet I can't stay away. For some reason that book pushed me over the edge, though, and I must stay away from it or I will be convinced that every sound my dog makes in the night is Bundy creeping through my window to get me.

Now that I'm thinking about scarring things I read at my grandma's house, that reminds me of Helter Skelter. After less than a hundred pages I had to hide that one behind some other books on a very high shelf in my grandpa's den.

Is Helter Skelter good? I actually read The Stranger Beside Me and I found it very interesting and a definite page-turner. That was actually the first of her books I read, and now I have ventured on to some of her others.

I can tell you that the first 100 pages or so of Helter Skelter are scary as hell. I never got around to reading more than that. :ph34r: I think occasionally about going back and reading it. Maybe some time when I feel like I've been getting too much sleep.

I have been reading a lot of Ann Rule true crime books, as well as Jackie Collins novels, which are always so fun and easy to read. Any suggestions for a book you just can't put down?

I read Jackie Collins' latest and it was HORRIBLE, one of the worst books I have ever read. I was so disappointed too because I was really looking forward to trying to identify who she was talking about. Her whole books used to be like blind items about hollywoods power players. Now they just suck!I finished The Lovely Bones at the beach last week and I have to agree with what some have posted here. The first half was great, I must have cried 4 times in the first 100 pages, then it sort of lost it's way a bit. I still liked it though and would recommend it just for the first half. Now I'm reading Honeymoon by James Patterson and it has me hooked.

^^the other guy who wrote that book with Patterson, Howard Roughan, is an awesome writer. If you like Honeymoon, you should check out his other books, especially The Up and Comer and the Promise of A Lie.

^^the other guy who wrote that book with Patterson, Howard Roughan, is an awesome writer. If you like Honeymoon, you should check out his other books, especially The Up and Comer and the Promise of A Lie.

Thank Soho! I just finished Honeymoon and loved it. I'm going to go find those 2 books you mentioned asap.

Started Seven Types of Ambiguity thanks to fykey's book blog and read whenever I could over the weekend but had to put the book down around page 200 or so because I have a hellishly busy two weeks upcoming at work. Am hoping to sneak in more reading time this weekend because it's really good and I keep thinking about it at work anyway, so I might as well be reading, right!?!?! Right!?!?!

Started Seven Types of Ambiguity thanks to fykey's book blog and read whenever I could over the weekend but had to put the book down around page 200 or so because I have a hellishly busy two weeks upcoming at work. Am hoping to sneak in more reading time this weekend because it's really good and I keep thinking about it at work anyway, so I might as well be reading, right!?!?! Right!?!?!

That's so awesome! I feel all gooey inside now!!

Back when I had an office job, I used to be a bad person and photocopy pages of the book I was reading. That way, whenever someone walked by, I would pretend to be staring -- very thoughtfully, I might add -- at some paper work. They never knew I was reading a novel. I wasted a lot of paper, but it was a big corporate law firm full of jerks, so I kinda felt justified. LOL.

ETA: definitely let me know what you think when you're done!

Edited by fykeylicious

I also ordered the Neil Jordan book and the House of Leaves book based on your blog, fykey, and I am thinking about a few others. Unfortunately, between trying to keep my job as a really super nice non-jerky lawyer at a semi-non-evil small office of a big corporate law firm, and trying to spend time with my boyfriend and his daughters, I've sacrificed more of my beloved recreational reading time than I would like!!! (can I mention that every time my eyes get blurry today from staring at my computer screen I get a little freaked out...) Also, I have been reading this one more slowly because I'm scared I'm going to miss something. So far I really like it and can't wait to get back to it.

I also ordered the Neil Jordan book and the House of Leaves book based on your blog, fykey, and I am thinking about a few others. Unfortunately, between trying to keep my job as a really super nice non-jerky lawyer at a semi-non-evil small office of a big corporate law firm, and trying to spend time with my boyfriend and his daughters, I've sacrificed more of my beloved recreational reading time than I would like!!! (can I mention that every time my eyes get blurry today from staring at my computer screen I get a little freaked out...) Also, I have been reading this one more slowly because I'm scared I'm going to miss something. So far I really like it and can't wait to get back to it.

LOL - now I feel like an a-hole - but in all fairness I had a partner LITERALLY throw a book at me once, so after that I pretty much wanted to jump out the window every day. Fortunately I did have the opportunity to work for two nice lawyers. Two out of about 300 :blink:

Anyway, I'm sure you're non-jerky - you're a chitchatter! :lol: Keep me updated!! :D

Don't worry about it - I've had my fill of superjerky lawyer colleagues, opposing counsel, supervising partners, etc. over the past six years. No one has thrown anything at me yet. :o But I heard just today that my current supervising partner threw something at the wall once in anger before I started working here. :lol: It must be a thing.

I'll definitely let you know how the book goes and I'll keep checking your blog for more book ideas - I love the fact that you mostly read and review books that are already in paperback b/c that helps to keep my Amazon tab down.... ;)

I'll definitely let you know how the book goes and I'll keep checking your blog for more book ideas - I love the fact that you mostly read and review books that are already in paperback b/c that helps to keep my Amazon tab down.... ;)

I agree - paperback is the way to go. I get really pissed when I buy a hardback and it sucks -- it just bothers me for some reason. But I'm admittedly a weird person. LOL.

Just finished "The Pact" by Jodi Picoult

What did you think? It was one of my favorite books by Picoult. After that I felt like there was a little too much of a pattern to them. But, I really enjoyed that one.

Jerky lawyers suck. :D But Bittermuch? is not a jerky lawyer. Bittermuch? rules.

Fykey, I just can't make myself get into House of Leaves. I'm sorry :( I am trying. I think I am in a trashy, effortless reading phase. So I am currently reading:

Ed McBain - Lullaby

Peter Spiegelman - Black Maps (financial murder mystery - surprisingly good so far!)

and

Phil Gordon's Little Green Book: Lessons and Teachings in No-Limit Hold 'Em (AWESOME poker book, I highly recommend for any poker players)

I just finished Sadie When She Died by Ed McBain - TOTALLY recommend. I could never get into Ed McBain before but that book really turned me on to him, finally. He's a great mystery writer.

Just finished "The Pact" by Jodi Picoult

What did you think? It was one of my favorite books by Picoult. After that I felt like there was a little too much of a pattern to them. But, I really enjoyed that one.

I really liked it. My favorite is still "My sister's keeper'...that one just pulled me in so much..couldn't turn the pages fast enough. (I still have quite a few of her books to read yet..agree she does have a pattern to her writing but still enjoy her books so much).

Fykey, I just can't make myself get into House of Leaves. I'm sorry :( I am trying. I think I am in a trashy, effortless reading phase. So I am currently reading:

oh good god, give up already! i'm just glad you didn't buy it on my recommendation :D then i'd feel really bad. i go through "effortless phases" as well - sometimes thinking is overrated :)