MMM1

What are you reading?

I am reading Female Chauvenist Pigs by Ariel Levy and Girl Sleuth, which is about the creator and writers of the Nancy Drew series. Both are pretty good so far. Just finished Sue Grafton's S book in the Kinsey Millhone series - it was good until the ending, which I found kind of arbitrary.

I just finished The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon. Pretty good!

I actually listened to this on CD during a road trip and I loved it.

Finished the new Marian Keyes last week (name escaping me at the moment) and now I'm catching up on older novels--I've read a few but not all) Right now I just started The Other Side of the Story.

I really liked The Other Side of the Story, Hoya. It was the first Keyes I'd read.

Has anyone read The Thirteenth Tale? I've had it on my shelf for awhile, and have heard great things about it.

... Girl Sleuth, which is about the creator and writers of the Nancy Drew series. Both are pretty good so far.

Ooh! I hadn't heard about this one. Sounds like something I'd love.

I've read most of Marian Keyes & Jane London and just started on Cathy Kelly. They're all sort of similar in style and plots so I don't read them all in a row, but in general I like them (UK chick lit??)

I'm having a hard time with my Newport book--stored in a basement or something, it's INCREDIBLY mildew-y and I get a headache if I try to read more than one chapter at a time. Started another book--travel writer Bill Bryson--someone recommended him when I was buying another travel writer at a used bookstore. Right now I'm reading Neither Here nor There: Travels in Europe (1992) and I love it. Very witty, a littly irreverant...I'm going on vacation Tuesday, have A Constant Princess by Philippa Gregory ready to go for airplane reading :D

Note to self: go read Fykey's blog, it's been a while :unsure:

.. Girl Sleuth, which is about the creator and writers of the Nancy Drew series. Both are pretty good so far.

Ooh! I hadn't heard about this one. Sounds like something I'd love.

I strongly recommend it, particularly if you loved Nancy Drew. Finished it last week on a plane and it was the perfect book to read in fits and starts as I had time. I also finished Female Chauvenist Pigs - also quite good and thought-provoking. Just started An American Story by Debra Dickerson.

Finished Constant Princess (Philippa Gregory) and, as with all her other Tudor england novels, I LOVED it. Really focussed on the early years, and then a page and a half on Anne Boleyn, and that was basicall it. Fantastic detail. Have to love a novelist who lists a bibliography :D

Back to finishing up Nasty Bits by Anthony Bourdain....

Finished Constant Princess (Philippa Gregory) and, as with all her other Tudor england novels, I LOVED it. Really focussed on the early years, and then a page and a half on Anne Boleyn, and that was basicall it. Fantastic detail. Have to love a novelist who lists a bibliography :D

Back to finishing up Nasty Bits by Anthony Bourdain....

Welcome back Hoya !(you went on vacay right?)

I have just started reading this series. The Other Boleyn Girl was excellent- but it took me a while to get into it. Now I am trying to read them in the order published.

I have a website that might prove helpful to all you readers - especially if you read "trash" like I do. These authors write a novel about every member of the family tree. This website is about as comprehensive as I have seen.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk

Edited by branchop

Yes, branchop, I was on vacay (quick trip to Vegas, sadly I didn't see any celebs <_< ) In addition to reading Constant Princess, I read a couple quickies - This Heart of Mine by Susan Elizabeth Phillips and Light My Fire by Katie McAlister (mentioned on another thread here for those who like romantic paranormal type novels--I've read all her stuff- very light & quick - she writes under another name for young adults as well)

I haven't read all of Philippa Gregory's novels--but I think I've read all the Tudor ones. Can't wait for the Boleyn Inheritance--guess it just came out? Amazon says Dec 2006, so I'll have to put in a request at my library....They called while I was out of town and 2 books I requested have come in, so I'll have to pick those up sometime this week :D

Susan Elizabeth Phillips is one of my FAVORITES :wub: :wub: :wub:

Also like Jennifer Cruisie - she is bust a gut funny!

Has anyone read The Thirteenth Tale? I've had it on my shelf for awhile, and have heard great things about it.

I just got it -- I'll be reading it soon. :)

Ok so I'm reading it now - I'm about halfway finished and I'm really enjoying it!

Really wanting to read books lately but not having any time. Bleh. I grab a book or magazine in the evening and lie down in bed and am asleep within a half-hour. I need to schedule some quality reading time this weekend, because I'm starting to get an irrational persecuted and deprived feeling!

I am currently going back and forth between a biography of Empress Elisabeth of Austria, the Debra Dickerson book, and Stephen King's On Writing. King's book is instantly engaging and I think I will end up finishing that before either of the others.

Stephen King's On Writing. King's book is instantly engaging and I think I will end up finishing that before either of the others.

I LOVE that book - best book on writing I've ever read and immensely entertaining, too.

I just finished Frog King by Adam Davies and now I'm tackling The Historian by Elizabeth Kostovo and some doctor's book about past lives. Oh, and Reading Like a Writer by Francine Prose.