MMM1

What are you reading?

Went on a reading binge of sorts over the weekend. On a plane from Milwaukee to Denver, read Freakonomics, which has been sitting on my bedside "to read" pile for at least a year. Interesting, but honestly I felt like he just reached some conclusions and then stuck to them as stubbornly as some of the people he criticized. There wasn't as much interesting analysis as I expected, and it was kind of quick, easy read in a bad way. That said, it was diverting and interesting and different.

Moved on then to Dope by Sara Gran. It was a noiry 1950s New York detective story, only the detective in question was a female recovering heroin addict. Instantly involving and a very good read. It was dark, but stylish noir dark, not annoying pretentious dark. Unfortunately the whole time I was trying to cast it as a movie in my head - what does this say about me?

Also read The Dead Beat, about obituaries and obituary writers. Easy read, enjoyable, but in the same way that it's interesting and enjoyable to read the obits in the LA or NY Times. The author made some efforts at a deeper meaning, but it felt kind of glib.

Soho--pretty sure you're the one who recommended Social Crimes by Jane Stanton Hitchcock but I can't find that post. Anyway, I read that over the weekend. I liked it, but it was a fairly predictable. That's not always a bad thing--I read historical romances, which are NOTHING if not predictable ;)

Just started reading Steve Berry's new book, the Alexandria Link. I've really enjoyed a couple of his past books--I think Amber Room and Romanov Prophecy are my favorite (I do love Russian history!!) Similar vein as DaVinci Code and Dan Brown's other books (a couple of which I like better than DaVinci Code) Nice summer/beach reading!

I just finished reading Steve Martin's "Shop Girl", which I hated, and cannot fathom how it was made into a film (that I did not see).

I am now reading "Requiem for a Dream". :)

Soho--pretty sure you're the one who recommended Social Crimes by Jane Stanton Hitchcock but I can't find that post. Anyway, I read that over the weekend. I liked it, but it was a fairly predictable. That's not always a bad thing--I read historical romances, which are NOTHING if not predictable ;)

Glad you liked it! :) I agree, pretty predictable, but I like the way she writes. I thought it was cute and had some good thinly-veiled gossip in it.

rabbit - (and anyone else!) have you read Lynch's Catching the Big Fish? I think it's wonderful. Great insights into his films and wonderful creative advice for anyone. I love the analogy of "catching ideas" especially. Lynch is so great. (although, I am not sure what to make of his total obsession with TM.)

Edited by soho2chelsea

Soho - I have not, but now most certainly will! :lol:

*runs to Amazon.com*

Yay. Just be prepared that there is a lot of TM stuff in it (transcendental meditation). But I thought the stuff in it about a few of his movies, and how he works creatively, was great. Like Lynch it is cryptic of course. But fun. Hope you like it. :)

I'm taking a break from my regular diet of mysteries and romances for an historical biography--called "The Sisters: The Saga of the Mitford Family" by Mary Lovell (who did the biography of Beryl Markham, Straight on Til Morning_. Anyway, I've always been fascinated by the Brideshead Revisited era and this digs into part of that (one of the Mitford sisters was a good friend of Evelyn Waugh's) I know I'll finish the book with a bunch of new stuff (from the notes pages of the bio) on my reading list.....

I just read Death and Restoration by Iain Pears. I tried to get The Dream of Scipio (because someone told me it's about the plague) but the library didn't have it.

Meh, I was not impressed. It was like the Da Vinci Code, but without any suspense. I can't decide if it was actually shittier than DVC, or if I'm just channeling my irritation into a familiar source.

Either way, I do not recommend.

Currently reading The Virgin's Lover by Phillippa Gregory. Given my absolute adoration for The Other Boleyn Girl in all its trashy glory, I figured I would give this one a shot. So far so good - juicy adulterous relationships are afoot and Queen Elizabeth I is quite the ho. ;)

Currently reading The Virgin's Lover by Phillippa Gregory. Given my absolute adoration for The Other Boleyn Girl in all its trashy glory, I figured I would give this one a shot. So far so good - juicy adulterous relationships are afoot and Queen Elizabeth I is quite the ho. ;)

It sounds like I'm really missing out re: these Gregory books. Looks like I'll need to give one a try. Should I start with The Other Boleyn Girl?

It sounds like I'm really missing out re: these Gregory books. Looks like I'll need to give one a try. Should I start with The Other Boleyn Girl?

I tried to read them in the order in which they were written, since I've been reading them for a few years. It doesn't really matter, though, unless you don't have any clue about Tudor England history, in which case you might be a little confused about the timelines. I think my favorite so far has been the Virgin's Lover..... Edited by Hoyaheel

Finished my Mitford biography on the weekend. Finished Secret Society Girl by Diana Peterfreund last night. So cute! Book jacket calls it a combo of Prep and Devil Wears Prada, but I disagree. I found Prep so disturbing--this book was nothing like that! Fiction (stylistically it is like DWP or Nanny Diaries, very "breezy") about the first girl to join a secret society at Yale (er, "Eli" university ;) ) 2nd book in the series coming in June. Very quick read. I enjoyed!

Just started The Good Husband of Zebra Drive

I just love Mma Ramotswe!

Also picked up Obama's Audacity of Hope, but it is thick and may need to wait until the end of the semester...

Read the new Sophie Kinsella, Shopaholic and Baby on Saturday. Cute. I know there's at least one person here who likes those books, though we may have discussed them in the Chick Flick thread. Read some weird trashy family saga thing yesterday (it was my birthday and I was mostly lazy :D ) I worked at our fundraising booksale (Friends of the Library) on Saturday morning and picked up a box of books for $5, so I'll start working my way through those.

Just started The Historian the other day. I'm mostly enjoying it, but unfortunately antihistamines have shortened my evening awake time a bit this week, so I haven't made a ton of progress....

Just started The Historian the other day. I'm mostly enjoying it, but unfortunately antihistamines have shortened my evening awake time a bit this week, so I haven't made a ton of progress....

I know the feeling. I nod off after reading for only a few minutes.

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Hoyaheel!

Thank you for all the birthday wishes. Fykey--I commented on your blog that I may be the only person who really loved The Historian, even (especially?) all the "boring" history stuff. But I was a history major in college so maybe I'm immune by now??

Thank you for all the birthday wishes. Fykey--I commented on your blog that I may be the only person who really loved The Historian, even (especially?) all the "boring" history stuff. But I was a history major in college so maybe I'm immune by now??

Nah - I know of a lot of people who liked it just because of the history; you're not alone :)

I took one history course in college and I think perhaps it scarred me for life :unsure: