MMM1

What are you reading?

An Illuminated Life by Heidi Ardizzone. A fascinating biography about JP Morgan's librarian and archivist, Belle De Costa Greene. Belle's father was the first African American man to graduate from Harvard. He was a leading civil rights leader. Belle's mother came from a prominent free family in Washington D.C. Belle pretended to be white and got away with it. A biography like no other I have ever read. Highly recommended.

An Illuminated Life by Heidi Ardizzone. A fascinating biography about JP Morgan's librarian and archivist, Belle De Costa Greene. Belle's father was the first African American man to graduate from Harvard. He was a leading civil rights leader. Belle's mother came from a prominent free family in Washington D.C. Belle pretended to be white and got away with it. A biography like no other I have ever read. Highly recommended.

Ok, so for a while I was being really good about my compulsive book-buying. Mostly because I was (and am) boycotting Amazon.com. But about a month ago, I broke down and started looking on barnesandnoble.com whenever I heard about a book that sounded interesting and AAAAAAAA. Yesterday I ordered no only An Illuminated Life but also another book by the same author that also sounded interesting.

I need a support group or something twelve-step.

Ok, so for a while I was being really good about my compulsive book-buying. Mostly because I was (and am) boycotting Amazon.com. But about a month ago, I broke down and started looking on barnesandnoble.com whenever I heard about a book that sounded interesting and AAAAAAAA. Yesterday I ordered no only An Illuminated Life but also another book by the same author that also sounded interesting.

I need a support group or something twelve-step.

I need to join too! The book is worth it! A terrific big, amazing life. Bittermuch, let me know what you think about it.

I am now reading a new biography of Alice Roosevelt Longworth. Fascinating so far. I am also reading about the Marshall Field Jr. Death that happened in 1905 in Chicago at a FAMOUS BORDELLO called the Everleigh Club. What fun!

Just finished the Almost Moon. I absolutely hated it! I can't believe I got all the way through it.

Trizzie, I am trying to make sure I don't waste my time finishing books I don't like. I used to feel compelled to. :wacko:

Mostly because I was (and am) boycotting Amazon.com.

Me too! I'm spending a lot of time in airports so that's where I'm getting most of my books. For my flight to London I was in the mood for something chick-litty so I got Queen of Babble. I hated it, I'm not sure that I've ever seen/read a more annoying main character in my life.

Great trashy read I just finished: Tabloid Love, by Bridget Harrison, who used to write for the NY Post.

Very cute, sweet, true-to-life story about dating and working in NYC.

Just finished A Year of Pleasures by Elizabeth Berg. Meh. Kinda superficial and disappointing, because there were some characters and relationships that had the potential to be interesting. Moving on to Atonement by Ian McEwan.

Just finished A Year of Pleasures by Elizabeth Berg. Meh. Kinda superficial and disappointing, because there were some characters and relationships that had the potential to be interesting. Moving on to Atonement by Ian McEwan.

I have loved Ian McEwan since Amsterdam. Let me know what you think of Atonement.

I'm reading The Abstinence Teacher by Tom Perrotta. It's about a high school sex ed teacher and her daughter's Christian soccer coach. It's very good. I love Tom Perrotta.

I just finished The Abstinence Teacher and liked it, too. I'm getting ready to start Without Reservations by Alice Steinbach.

I just finished Walter Mosley's Blond Faith. It is the tenth Easy Rawlins Thriller. Loved it, fast paced, classic Mosley. It seems Easy has reached his culmination. I am DEVASTATED!!!!

I'm reading My Fifth Season, by Rebecca Clifford. I kind of came across it by accident at amazon. It's great. Kind of like Gossip Girl but not as trashy. Definitely recommend it. It's totally 80s nostalgia. Oh, and to whoever posted about Tom Perotta- LOVE HIM! Just started Little Children. So good.

Really liked Atonement, although I had anxious dreams about the plot the night I finished it. My parents visited over the holiday weekend and my mom brought me Widow of the South, which I sort of started yesterday evening.

I'll be curious to see how you like Widow of the South.

I stopped reading after only a chapter or so because it seemed like the battle scenes might be pretty gory. (Now that I have small children I can't bear to read books where a child is hurt and there was a scene early on in WotS that seemed like it couldn't end well...)

A mystery by British author Veronica Stallworth in the Kate Ivory series. Kate is a thirty something, commitment phobic writer living in Oxford. A really great series.

Great trashy read I just finished: Tabloid Love, by Bridget Harrison, who used to write for the NY Post.

Soho - So funny. She and I are repped by the same agent, so I know her somewhat tangentially. I'll pass along your kudos!

I just finished The Abstinence Teacher too. Really enjoyed it, although I LOVED Little Children, and would say that I liked this one slightly less. I also tried to get into PS, I Love You, but ugh, I just couldn't. Just didn't click with the narrator's voice, so put it down after about 150 pages. Oh well. I'll see the movie.

Edited by freelancergirl

Soho - So funny. She and I are repped by the same agent, so I know her somewhat tangentially. I'll pass along your kudos!

I just finished The Abstinence Teacher too. Really enjoyed it, although I LOVED Little Children, and would say that I liked this one slightly less. I also tried to get into PS, I Love You, but ugh, I just couldn't. Just didn't click with the narrator's voice, so put it down after about 150 pages. Oh well. I'll see the movie.

I started Little Children right before I went into labor, and then I didn't have a chance to finish it. But it looked REALLY GOOD.

If you want good trash I can't recommend Jilly Cooper highly enough. Anyone who's never read her must read Riders. OK, it's been around for an age, but it is one of the funniest things I've ever read.

The Emperor's Children is also really amazing, but not trashy!

Atonement is one of my favorite books. It's up there with The Magus.

I am reading Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte again. It is still my favorite Romance of all time. I am such a sucker.

I'm a sucker for it as well, but I liked Wuthering Heights better as far as Bronte books go.

The new adapation from BBC is showing again on Masterpiece Theater tonight I believe - 2 parts. It was excellent.