MMM1

What are you reading?

I am reading Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte again. It is still my favorite Romance of all time. I am such a sucker.

I'm a sucker for it as well, but I liked Wuthering Heights better as far as Bronte books go.

The new adapation from BBC is showing again on Masterpiece Theater tonight I believe - 2 parts. It was excellent.

Heathcliff was the ultimate bad boy. I liked the boring Rochester better. :D

I am reading Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte again. It is still my favorite Romance of all time. I am such a sucker.

I'm a sucker for it as well, but I liked Wuthering Heights better as far as Bronte books go.

The new adapation from BBC is showing again on Masterpiece Theater tonight I believe - 2 parts. It was excellent.

Heathcliff was the ultimate bad boy. I liked the boring Rochester better. :D

HEATHCLIFF IS MY LOVAHHHHH

(Sorry - couldn't help it. Wuthering Heights is one of my favorite books EVER)

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova.

I read that book a few months ago (finally). Give it time as it's very slow for the first 100 pages or so. I'm glad I persevered with it. It's a bit predictable in parts (IMO) but a good concept overall.

I read that book a few months ago (finally). Give it time as it's very slow for the first 100 pages or so. I'm glad I persevered with it. It's a bit predictable in parts (IMO) but a good concept overall.

It is slow in the beginning. Thanks for the encouragement. I was considering giving up on it.

It is slow in the beginning. Thanks for the encouragement. I was considering giving up on it.

We had quite a discussion of this book somewhere on the thread--other people were considering giving it up. I'm one of the few who adored it pretty much from the beginning, so I would encourage you to stick with it. But if it's really not your thing, there's no shame in just stopping ;) We've talked about that here too :D

I'm reading Bloodfever, book 2 in a new series from Karen Marie Moning. Sort of a Buffy the Vampire slayer but for Fae, takes place in Ireland. I like this sort of thing ;)

We had quite a discussion of this book somewhere on the thread--other people were considering giving it up. I'm one of the few who adored it pretty much from the beginning, so I would encourage you to stick with it. But if it's really not your thing, there's no shame in just stopping ;) We've talked about that here too :D

I'm reading Bloodfever, book 2 in a new series from Karen Marie Moning. Sort of a Buffy the Vampire slayer but for Fae, takes place in Ireland. I like this sort of thing ;)

I'm on page 256, it's getting better. More action.

I gave up on The Historian, but I may pick it up again at some point when I have more time to read. Someone got me Steve Martin's new book for Christmas, and I started Martha Grimes' Dirt right before I got too busy with holiday stuff. Both seem like they'll be good, quick reads.

I gave up on The Historian, but I may pick it up again at some point when I have more time to read.

I'm holding on to Secret History by Donna Tartt for the same reason.....I'm not sure exactly when I'd have more time to read since I already manage to go through a few books a week, but I guess that particular book requires more concentration or something.....

I gave up on The Historian, but I may pick it up again at some point when I have more time to read.

I'm holding on to Secret History by Donna Tartt for the same reason.....I'm not sure exactly when I'd have more time to read since I already manage to go through a few books a week, but I guess that particular book requires more concentration or something.....

That is one of my favorite books ever! It is well worth finding the time to read it!

That is one of my favorite books ever! It is well worth finding the time to read it!

I got it because my best friend loved it and I've tried three times to get beyond the first two chapters and it's just not working for me.....

I agree! Her follow-up, The Little Friend, isn't nearly as good though.

Great trashy read I just finished: Tabloid Love, by Bridget Harrison, who used to write for the NY Post.

Soho - So funny. She and I are repped by the same agent, so I know her somewhat tangentially. I'll pass along your kudos!

That is fabulous! I had actually even considered writing her a fan email, even though I rarely do that. :unsure: I was single and dating similar losers in NYC during exactly the same time period as her book, and also had a very similarly bizarre work situation at the time, so I completely related to almost everything her book, including several strikingly similar horrible dates. :) (Maybe I shouldn't admit that publicly. :unsure: ) I think she's a great writer and extremely funny and truthful.

Really liked Atonement, although I had anxious dreams about the plot the night I finished it. My parents visited over the holiday weekend and my mom brought me Widow of the South, which I sort of started yesterday evening.

Did you finish Widow of the South? Did you like it?

I just read back to back Carol Goodman books since I loved "The Lake of Dead Languages" so much: "The Drowning Tree" and "The Seduction of Water". I liked them both, but "The Drowning Tree" has stayed with me a little longer so I think I will give that one the edge.

I started "The Spiritual Brain" last night. Interesting so far, even if I don't agree with everything they are hypothesizing.

I have put Widow of the South aside for the moment. After sobbing over the photos in People Magazine of American servicemen and women killed in Iraq and Afganistan this year, I found myself not in the mood to read anything to do with war or battles (plus I had just come off Atonement). I'll probably go back to it after the Martha Grimes book, the Steve Martin book, and maybe a few items of lighter reading I have around the house.

I just finished Bloodfever myself, and loved it. My mother had to beg me to give the series a try...I took one look at the blurb on the back and thought 'monsters and vampires and words I can't pronounce? No thank you.' It's usually not my cup of tea, but I really enjoyed both Darkfever and Bloodfever. I can't wait for the next book! These cliffhangers kill me! :lol:

It's usually not my cup of tea, but I really enjoyed both Darkfever and Bloodfever. I can't wait for the next book! These cliffhangers kill me! :lol:

I loved her Highlander series--not quite as violent, more sex & love ;) And history.....

This thread reminds me that I need to get freelancergirl's book next! :)

I have it on my list at the library but if they don't get it in the next 2 weeks, I'll buy it so I can take it on a Feb. business trip :D

Just reread Welcome to Temptation by Jennifer Cruise - Great quick read. Very funny and very sexy. And over the holidays I read David Sedaris' Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim. Love his stuff.

I have a bunch of Jennifer Crusie books from the last time I went to a used book sale--I'm definitely taking a couple of those on my next trip!

I finished Sammy's Hill a few weeks ago and started Sammy's House this morning. In between, I read a couple Eloisa James books, an Elizabeth George, and.....Oh--Evelyn Waugh the Loved Ones. Not crazy about it ;) But it was recommended by someone here, so I gave it a try. I still love his writing style--just didn't like that story. I'll read more--want to read some of his travel stuff.