MMM1

What are you reading?

Aw, thanks guys!

Soho - you should totally write her an email. I can't tell you how much I enjoy getting emails from readers. People think we're quasi-celebs or something, and meanwhile, I'm sitting around in my pajamas contemplating how much candy I can eat without my butt noticeably expanding...and needless to say, it's always fun to hear from people who enjoyed your book. I always make a point to write everyone back...and they're always surprised that I do. I'm like, seriously, my life is just as mundane as yours!

Aw, thanks guys!

Soho - you should totally write her an email. I can't tell you how much I enjoy getting emails from readers. People think we're quasi-celebs or something, and meanwhile, I'm sitting around in my pajamas contemplating how much candy I can eat without my butt noticeably expanding...and needless to say, it's always fun to hear from people who enjoyed your book. I always make a point to write everyone back...and they're always surprised that I do. I'm like, seriously, my life is just as mundane as yours!

I wrote a fan email to Eleni Gage, author of North of Ithaka, and she sent the sweetest reply. We are of the same ethnic heritage and my grandparents went through much of what her grandmother did. She seemed down to Earth and incredibly nice. I have never had the nerve to write a fan letter to her father Nick Gage. (The author of Eleni.) Maybe I wil one day.

Edited by Bette Davis

I just read The Land of Mango Sunsets by Dorothea Franks Benton. I was pleasantly surprised. It was a good fast read. A couple of issues that must be overlooked, but overall it was good!

Aw, thanks guys!

I wrote a fan email to Eleni Gage, author of North of Ithaka, and she sent the sweetest reply. We are of the same ethnic heritage and my grandparents went through much of what her grandmother did. She seemed down to Earth and incredibly nice. I have never had the nerve to write a fan letter to her father Nick Gage. (The author of Eleni.) Maybe I wil one day.

Bette - I know Eleni too - or did years ago when I wrote for her at InStyle. She's also fabulous, and I'm so happy to hear that you had a nice experience with her. I'm telling you - we writers sit here all by our lonesome all day, so we're always happy when someone sends us a note. If anyone is wavering about sending a fan email, just do it! :)

I have written to Stephen King, Isabelle Allende, Philip Margolin, Christopher Rice, Jack Ketchum and Jullianne Hoffman and they all wrote back to me with very kind words.... B)

Aw, thanks guys!

Bette - I know Eleni too - or did years ago when I wrote for her at InStyle. She's also fabulous, and I'm so happy to hear that you had a nice experience with her. I'm telling you - we writers sit here all by our lonesome all day, so we're always happy when someone sends us a note. If anyone is wavering about sending a fan email, just do it! :)

That's nice to hear. You and she are what published authors are SUPPOSED to be like. :D

I have written to Stephen King, Isabelle Allende, Philip Margolin, Christopher Rice, Jack Ketchum and Jullianne Hoffman and they all wrote back to me with very kind words.... B)

WOW. that's awesome!

Tell me about it!

One time I wrote a negative review about a book on Barnes and Noble.com and the author wrote back to me and was pretty upset and wanted to know HOW I would have written it... :o

Finished Sue Grafton's T Is for Trespass over the weekend. Quite good - her best in a few years. Started Julie and Julia and am enjoying it, although it is not quite what I expected. More angst, less cooking than I anticipated.

Edited by bittermuch?

I'm reading The Abstinence Teacher by Tom Perrotta. It's about a high school sex ed teacher and her daughter's Christian soccer coach. It's very good. I love Tom Perrotta.

I just finished Election by Tom Perrota. I absolutely loved it. :lol: I haven't seen the movie yet but I am having a hard time picturing Matthew Broderick as Jim McAllister

I am now in the middle of The Abstinence Teacher. Good so far.

Has anyone read The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards or The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger? I receive both books for Christmas and am trying to decide which one to read first.

Tell me about it!

One time I wrote a negative review about a book on Barnes and Noble.com and the author wrote back to me and was pretty upset and wanted to know HOW I would have written it... :o

aw I understand.

recently I met quite a few authors at a seminar in Florida (I was with my daughter/writer) they go through a lot of crap to get those things pubished. Cost, time, worry - Stephen King makes it look easy but it's not. Well unless your John Gresham and you spit out the same book time and time again.

Finished Julie and Julia. Highly recommend. It wasn't the best book in the world, definitely flawed, but the author has a distinctive voice that really got in my head.

Also read Steve Martin's Born Standing Up. Very good, but it really made me want to see this crazy magician I saw opening for Cake at The Roxy the night of the Edwards/Cheney debate in 2004. This guy was on the edge; it was unreal. At various points I was pretty convinced someone was going to die or be grieviously injured. Me, the Magician, his slinky-hipped assistant...someone. Seriously, some of the most notable / fucked up / interesting things I've ever seen I've seen in association with Cake shows: The Magician, a giant stuffed elephant shooting sparks at me, and something I can only classify as a UFO (it was flying and to this day I have no idea what it was) near Harris Ranch, California.

If anyone knows anything about this Magician guy (that is what he was called: Magician), please let me know. Boyfriend and I are dying to see this guy perform again. He basically did this wildly incompetent-seeming act: everything ultimately came off, but seriously I thought he might kill someone in the process. He has this "assistant" who basically just gyrated onstage wearing very little clothing, and at one point there was a rapper. I'm pretty sure there was also fire, and I know at one point he was on stilts while smoking a cigarette and swigging from a bottle of liquor. The Roxy must have some great insurance.

I work at a library and was wondering what all the fuss was about with this one particular book. The book is Twilight. So I took it home and read it. It is young adult fiction but I thought it was really good. Has anyone else read it and what do you think about it?

I'm plowing through Elin Hildebrand's Barefoot right now and am just totally and completely in love with it.

Bittermuch - I've been meaning to pick Standing Up. Thanks for the reminder!

Edited by freelancergirl

I'm reading The Abstinence Teacher by Tom Perrotta. It's about a high school sex ed teacher and her daughter's Christian soccer coach. It's very good. I love Tom Perrotta.

I just finished Election by Tom Perrota. I absolutely loved it. :lol: I haven't seen the movie yet but I am having a hard time picturing Matthew Broderick as Jim McAllister

I am now in the middle of The Abstinence Teacher. Good so far.

Has anyone read The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards or The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger? I receive both books for Christmas and am trying to decide which one to read first.

Hawaii Dream, there is an existing thread on the Time Traveler's Wife that you may want to check out to help with your decision. I loved that book.