MMM1

What are you reading?

I just finished "Escape" by a ex-polygamous wife. Enthralling and sad at the same time. It's no "Big Love" for sure. I'm finishing up "Tales of a Female Nomad" today. Really sparking my wanderlust!

Next up is "Sick Girl".

I'll be interested to know how Sick Girl is.

I'm in a reading lull - slammed with work and work-related stuff, plus dealing with second week of evil cold/flu. Although what I really need now is to curl up for a couple of days on my couch with blankets, tea, doggie, and a few great books, I just can't. BLEH -_- -_- -_-

Sick Girl was really good. She was honest about her illness, her journey, and didn't sugar-coat her feelings. I loved getting an honest insight into how her transplant has really affected her life. Having never had a serious illness, I'm sure I wouldn't be as strong as she has. Plus, her husband is a saint.

I can't tell you how much I love this thread. I am living vicariously through you all as I have limited time to read right now. I did, however, just read Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky. It is such a beautifully written book. I also just read Signed, Mata Hari by Yannick Murphy which was interesting but odd. I am reading The Count of Monte Cristo with my sixth grader. I so love her school. They have read The Odessy and Julius Ceaser so far this year. The real versions, she's 11! We didn't start Shakespeare until high school!

I did, however, just read Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky.

I just read a review of this (in the new Costco magazine, of all places :unsure: ) Sounds really interesting--was it an uplifting book or depressing??

I did, however, just read Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky.

I just read a review of this (in the new Costco magazine, of all places :unsure: ) Sounds really interesting--was it an uplifting book or depressing??

I don't really know how to explain it. It has depressing and sometimes shocking things in it. But her word usage is, imo, beautiful. I really felt carried away by the words. There is a sadness to the book, but I don't know if I read that in to it because I knew some of her own story and because of the war itself. I wasn't depressed by the book, however. I hope that is somewhat helpful, it seems like convultued answer! I did just get the next one, Fire in the Blood, but I haven't started it yet.

I'm reading Dan Simmons' The Terror right now, and I love it. I'm also reading The Echo Maker by Richard Powers right now but I'm having a hard time getting into it.

I just started The Sixth Wife by Susannah Dunn (about Katharine Parr) I'm such a Tudor history fan!

I just started reading Patterson--have been reading the Women's Murder Club books--started 4 last week but wasn't in the mood for something that started off so depressing so I switched to other books and will go back to it.

I just finished The Girl Who Stopped Swimming by Joshilyn Jackson and really enjoyed it. As an author, I can usually get inside the writer's head and predict where a book is going, but in this case, I really had no idea and thought she did a great job keeping the reader guessing.

(And I don't mean to keep mentioning that I'm an author!! In fact, I feel really lame saying it. But it colors every book I read - it's impossible for me to read a book "straight" and not feel the influences of my profession as I go, so I like to offer that disclaimer so people know where I'm coming from when I review or mention a book!)

Reading a great biography of Roget. Yes, the Thesaurus Roget. He was a physician and scientist. A long line of insanity ran in his family. His uncle, a famous member of parliament, renowned for defense of the poor and down trodden, committed suicide and died in Roget's arms. Roget's grandmother and mother were also insane. The book has the theory that one of the reasons Roget made lists of words was to distract himself and thereby successfully fight against the potential insanity that ran in his genes.

Edited by Bette Davis

Reading a great biography of Roget. Yes, the Thesaurus Roget. He was a physician and scientist. A long line of insanity ran in his family. His uncle, a famous member of parliament, renowned for defense of the poor and down trodden, committed suicide and died in Roget's arms. Roget's grandmother and mother were also insane. The book has the theory that one of the reasons Roget made lists of words was to distract himself and thereby successfully fight against the potential insanity that ran in his genes.

wow that sounds fascinating!

I hate to be off topic - but I am reading tax returns in great quantites - just a friendly reminder to my US buddies - you have 8 days to get it done or extended!

HAPPY TAX SEASON!

I am reading the Ruins and so far loving it....

really?!? I had wanted to read it but I had read a few negative reviews so I never picked it up - let me know what you think when you finish!

(Also, do you know what the "thing" is that is causing all the ... ruins? Because I heard that "ruined" (lol) it for some people, but if you know and are enjoying it anyway then I'll def. give it a chance :) )

Well I became interested in it when I saw the commerical to the movie. I figured out by the commerical what the "thing" is. That is what made me go "hmmm I wonder how he (the author) will make this work". SO I picked it up just to see how he will make "this" scary, but let me tell you I am 100 pages in and scared as hell.

HOWEVER on a side note - the jungle, the woods, camping, etc naturally scares me. SO you can make a horror movie about a scary racoon in the woods and I am dying:)

Also it is a fast read. I am 100 pages in and so far the "thing" has not even started to "attack" but so far a lot has alreayd happend and it has nothing to do with the "thing".

FLG,

I haven't been reading the literature section of fanchitchat for long and saw the thread on members reading your books, etc. Was wondering if you would share more information so that i can pick up your latest?

thanks!

I just finished reading "Shutter Island" by Dennis Lehane. Martin Scorsese is making it into a movie right now, renamed "Ashecliffe." Has anyone else read this book, and if so what did you think about the ending? :huh:

I just finished reading "Shutter Island" by Dennis Lehane. Martin Scorsese is making it into a movie right now, renamed "Ashecliffe." Has anyone else read this book, and if so what did you think about the ending? :huh:

I loved that book! The ending didn't sit well with me. I was so disturbed by it. :ph34r: I won't give it away but I am interested in how the movie will end.