MMM1

What are you reading?

I didn't like The Secret History, either, and I read the whole thing. I overreact and turn against a book early if I feel like it's overly pretentious, though, and then it's hard to win me back if the book isn't astoundingly good. I just felt like I was reading something written by a talented but smug and shallow high school senior. Then again, I also hate Catcher in the Rye.

I didn't like The Secret History, either, and I read the whole thing. I overreact and turn against a book early if I feel like it's overly pretentious, though, and then it's hard to win me back if the book isn't astoundingly good. I just felt like I was reading something written by a talented but smug and shallow high school senior. Then again, I also hate Catcher in the Rye.

I had the same reaction to TSH...for what it's worth, I wish I had liked it, but I just couldn't muster up any enthusiasm for it.

Anyone read Dean Koontz? I picked up The Darkest Evening of the Year at Costco, my favorite bookstore, because it had "New York Times Bestseller" at the top which I find is uually a pretty good guage for me. I guess I was hoping for a thriller along the lines of what Michael Crichton use to do so long ago with Coma, etc.

I'm enjoying the book but it has a definite spooky factor. I'm finding some of the characters so disturbing that I'm spooked as I read the book or maybe I just should have waited until summer to read it when it's not so dark outside, lol.

I've read some Koontz--not all, because I just started reading him recently. They are definitely spooky. Not quite in a Stephen King kind of way, but definitely weird. I've enjoyed the ones I've read. I haven't read that one yet, though.

Anyone who read and loved the Anne of Green Gables books by LM Montgomery needs to read Before Green Gables by Budge Wilson. Written with the permission of her estate, it's a lovely prequel to the Anne series--Anne's life before she was adopted by the Cuthberts. You think it's going to be depressing, but the joy of "Anne" is that she always finds the good in everything. It's a young adult book, so a quick read--I really enjoyed it. And as soon as I finished it, I dug out the first Anne book, Anne of Green Gables, and read that for the umpteenth time. Lovely!

Reading Confessions of an Economic Hit Man by John Perkins. Very interesting non fiction account of his days as an economic hit man. A book that has definitely opened up my eyes to what goes on in this world.

What is an economic hit man?

This is from the preface:

Economic hit men (EHMs) are highly paid professionals who cheat countries around the globe out of trillions of dollars. They funnel money from the World Bank, the US Agency for International Development (USAID), and other foreign "aid" organizations into the coffers of huge corporations and the pockets of a few wealthy families who control the planet's natural resources.

Bascially, this guy was paid to bankrupt third world countries so they would be in the debt of the US. The US (thru its major corporations) then would acquire oil and other natural resource rights and exploit the country for years to come.

His story starts in the 1960's - I'm up to the mid 70's right now. I know the US has been up to no good, but this systematic economic destruction of these countries is quite deplorable.

I am reading "Handle with Care" by Jodi Picoult. I just finished "Stolen Innocence" by Elisa Wall--escapee from a polygamous community. She lived just across the border in Utah from where I am now.

For all you Taylor Kitsch fans, he told me that Confessions of an Economic Hit Man is one of his favorite books.

And now I have to go buy that book...:)

I'm reading Liberty and Tyranny: A Conservative Manifesto by Mark Levine.

His view of what "true" conservatives believe in.

Heavy but interesting to read

I'm reading Liberty and Tyranny: A Conservative Manifesto by Mark Levine.

His view of what "true" conservatives believe in.

Heavy but interesting to read

I may have to check that one out, basal. It has been on the NYT Best Seller list since it came out (they must hate that LOL).

Just finished the 3rd Ariana Franklin "Mistress in the Art of Death" boosk: Grave Goods. I like that series! Now reading 3rd in trilogy by Kasey Michaels "Mischief 24/7" (mystery/romance - descendants of characters from her Romney Marsh series, which is great historical romance/intrigue fiction if you like that) I noticed Lauren Willig has a new book out, "Temptation of the Night Jasmine" so I'll have to request that at the library--her books are wonderful--thanks to whomever here recommended them to me!!

Just finished Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse novels. Great reads until Books 8 and 9.

Edited by Bette Davis

Just finished B is for Beer and am halfway through Wild Ducks Flying Backward - both by Tom Robbins (a "children's" book and a collection of short pieces--many from Esquire over the years) I haven't read Tom Robbins in a few years though he's one of my favorite authors. Jitterbug Perfume is in my top 5 favorite books. I have to dig it out of my library and reread for the umpteenth time this summer. He has such a great way with words (though I do think he's one of those authors whose style you either like or hate - not many in-betweens with him). This is from his review of the Doors from 1967:

The Doors. Their style is early cunnilingual, late patricidal, lunchtime in the Everglades, Black Forest blood sausage on electrified bread, Jean Genet up a totem pole, artists at the baricades, Edgar Allan Poe drowning in his birdbath, Massacre of the Innocents, tarantella of the satyrs, bacchanalian, Dionysian, L.A. pagans drawing down the moon.

The Doors. The musical equivalent of a ritual sacrifice, an amplified sex throb, a wounded yet somehow elegant yowl for the lost soul of America, histrionic tricksters making hard cider from the apples of Eden while petting the head of the snake.

Just started "People of the Book" by Geraldine Brooks. Haven't actually got past the first chapter but so far, it has my attention which is good. If it didn't, I would have already retired the book. Can't wait to see where it goes...hopefully it is as good as people have said it is.

Just started Netherland by Joseph O'Neill. It's been sitting on my shelf since before the holidays and I sort of forgot I had it. Glad I remembered - so far, it's quite good. Before that, read Certain Girls by Jennifer Weiner. Meh. Better than Little Earthquakes or Goodnight, Noboby, but I think she peaked with the lovely In Her Shoes

Before that, read Certain Girls by Jennifer Weiner. Meh. Better than Little Earthquakes or Goodnight, Noboby, but I think she peaked with the lovely In Her Shoes

Thanks for the review - I've been "eh" for her books but just read the review for Certain Girls (in the Costco magazine :unsure: ) and thought it looked intriguing....OK, library book it is!

I'm reading Queen of Subtleties by Susannah Dunn (2005). It's interesting - overlaying stores of Anne Boleyn and the confectioner for Henry VIII (the sugar concoctions she makes are called "subtleties") I love Tudor England history and fiction around that period, and am enjoying this so far.

I'm reading American Wife, and I'm reading a great tween novel called Esperanza Rising with my daughter. It is excellent, and my daughter is mystified that she is reading a book with me that brings tears to my eyes at the end of many chapters.

Is American Wife the Curtis Sittenfeld book about a character awfully similar to Laura Bush?

I really didn't like her writing in Prep (the book was disturbing, if only for how much I remembered from my own prep school days - and how much was so different) Anyway - if the writing is the same, I don't think I'll read it, but she had quite a few years between books so it's possible her style matured/changed.....