MMM1

What are you reading?

I'm just finishing Nature Girl by Carl Hiaasen. Slow for first 2/3rds and then it's hysterical for the last third ~ Especially if you really dislike telemarketers. :4biggrin: I read Skinny Dip last year and enjoyed that one more.

Is American Wife the Curtis Sittenfeld book about a character awfully similar to Laura Bush?

Yes. I rather liked it and it was a quick read.

Still reading Netherland because people won't let me read.

I just finished Shanghai Girls by Lisa See. I really enjoyed it - it was a very quick read, and I found myself wishing it had been an epic. The style of storytelling was interesting - broad strokes (skipping over lots of time) mixed in with minute details. Sort of a hodgepodge. But I liked it!

The Dumbest Generation by Mark Bauerlein

Probably the first book I've had to read in school that I actually found interesting. If your under 35 or even if your not you should get it.

Just finished "High on Arrival" and "Secrets She Left Behind". Both good. I hadn't read Diane Chamberlain before but I think I will check out more.

Mackenzie Phillips's life was just fucked up. If even half of what I read is true, it's a miracle she isn't dead. And her dad....I don't have the words.

About to start "Bin Laden - The Man Who Declared War On America" by Yossef Bodansky.

I know a lot of you didn't like (couldn't finish....) The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova, but I LOVED it. I'm now reading her 2nd novel, The Swan Thieves, and think it's wonderful. I haven't a clue what's going on but I can't stop reading! (Actually, I think the story line isn't quite as convoluted as the Historian was, and it's not as dense at the beginning which makes it easier to get into) I'm almost half way through it. Hopefully it will end as well as it has started!

Just finishing up The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and loving it! Next I want to read Shanghai Girls.

I've been on a reading spree while I'm waiting on the family to relocate to me at the end of May (more so than my usual reading), and I have been using the Goodreads.com app on my iPhone to keep me organized on my trips to the library, bookstore and Amazon. What a fantastic tool! If you haven't used Goodreads before, you should check it out.

I just finished "Annie's Ghosts," a biography / family studies book about a man who was always told his mom was an only child, but found out after she died that she had a sister who had been institutionalized. Interesting journey he took to solve his family mystery. I also just finished "Songs Without Words" by Ann Packer. It was good, but not as great as "The Dive From Claussen's Pier," which I loved.

I am currently reading "The BoneMan's Daughters" by Ted Dekker. And next on my shelf is "Sickened--the Memoir of a Munchausen by Proxy Childhood" by Julie Gregory. I usually alternate between a fiction and a non-fiction to shake things up.

Just started Furious Love - about Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton - I think this is going to go fast - and be good! Reviews I've seen have all been good too.....

I loved it!! Finished it in 4 days. (work days - not vacation days ;-) I recommend it. Of course, I got mine at the library so it's no risk....

I just love this site. I am very interested in reading the Taylor/Burton story, Furious Love. Thanks for the recommendation! I had dinner at their villa in Puerto Vallarta once. It is owned by an eccentric woman with several small dogs. Hacienda San Angel, I will never forget it.

I just finished "Every Last One" by Anna Quindlen. I went into it fairly blind, and I am emotionally wrecked right now. If you like family books that rip out your emotions, check this one out.

Just finished reading Sea Glass by Anita Shreve (The Pilot's Wife, The Weight of Water). It takes place in 1929 and follows a newly wed couple as they deal with the fall out of the depression. There's something about how she deals with the people in her books that always keeps me intrigued.