MMM1

What are you reading?

Ooh - American Lightning sounds good!

I just finished the new Philippa Gregory book, Kingmaker's Daughter - about Anne Neville (daughter of Warwick the Kingmaker and eventual wife to Richard) I like her books a lot but the War of the Roses era books are so full of characters; I'm easily confused. I knew Tudor era names pretty well so those books weren't as confusing to me. But I'm learning (I know it's fiction but her historical research is good - and it's pretty easy to tell where she's making fictitious leaps....)

Next up is the newest Lindsay Davis, Master of God (ancient Rome....)

I just finished the new Philippa Gregory book, Kingmaker's Daughter - about Anne Neville (daughter of Warwick the Kingmaker and eventual wife to Richard) I like her books a lot but the War of the Roses era books are so full of characters; I'm easily confused. I knew Tudor era names pretty well so those books weren't as confusing to me. But I'm learning (I know it's fiction but her historical research is good - and it's pretty easy to tell where she's making fictitious leaps....)

Love Gregory books, and agree about being able to keep the Tudors straight most of the time, but I have googled royal lines a few times :D

I read The Hunger Games series over the Thanksgiving holiday, loved it! :)

Love Gregory books, and agree about being able to keep the Tudors straight most of the time, but I have googled royal lines a few times :D

I downloaded a (free) app for my Droid - British Monarchy!

I downloaded a (free) app for my Droid - British Monarchy!

Awesome idea, I'll be doing that next time!! :lol:

It helps some but doesn't give as many details as reading Gregory sometimes requires. When they're all named Richard or Elizabeth and Anne, it gets confusing!!

When they're all named Richard or Elizabeth and Anne, it gets confusing!!

Or David or Charles :D

I'm rather hoping that Kate and William name their newborn something different than the usual 10 royal names. :P

Just read "Wild: From lost to found on the Pacific Crest Trail." Pretty awesome story of hitting rock bottom and climbing back up.

Just read "Wild: From lost to found on the Pacific Crest Trail." Pretty awesome story of hitting rock bottom and climbing back up.

I read an excerpt of it in Vogue (I think? it was one of the mags I subscribe to) I didn't love the excerpt but I have problems with memoirs - they often seem too self-indulgent to me. Glad to hear you liked it - I might reassess!

Ooh - American Lightning sounds good!

Next up is the newest Lindsay Davis, Master of God (ancient Rome....)

I saw you mentioned that you read an excerpt of "Pacific Coast Trail" in Vogue - I read an excerpt of "American Lightning" in Vanity Fair and that's what got me interested in the book. Excerpts magazines are a good way to promote something that might otherwise be overlooked. Now I'm interested in the author's other books.

One of the times I really miss the magazine Mademoiselle is when it comes to this - they published so many authors in the 80s I never would have read but loved because of a short piece I read in that magazine.

I read an excerpt of it in Vogue (I think? it was one of the mags I subscribe to) I didn't love the excerpt but I have problems with memoirs - they often seem too self-indulgent to me. Glad to hear you liked it - I might reassess!

She has made so many really dumb mistakes in her life. Bad, bad decisions! There were times when I wanted to shake her while I read it, but I love backpacking and I've made some bad decisions myself, so I enjoyed it. If you have done any long trail days, you will find yourself cringing, but I think you'll enjoy it. It sounds like she turned her life around, so I like that.

I started reading the book and I was drawn in by her relationship with her mother. It was obvious that she really needed some help dealing with her death. I found the rest of the book boring and I wonder how much of it is true.

I'm reading a biography about James Madison because I want and need to learn more about him, Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin and those amazing men who created my country.

I would totally do a book club :-)

I just finished reading Marseille Caper by Peter Mayle (I love his writing - fiction or non-fiction - and there aren't many writers I enjoy in both genres!), and am now reading a trashy vampire novel - most recent in JR Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series. I think someone here recommended her to me many years ago! Have a non-fiction at home to start too - Alison Weir's The Lady in the Tower: The Fall of Anne Boleyn - I figure since I've been reading Hilary Mantel's fictional history of Thomas Cromwell, I should read a non-fictional version too ;-)

Anyway, I'm totally up for a Summer Reading club. I loved doing the library summer reading clubs when I was a kid!

Posted Image

Corey Feldman Stares (Darkly) Right at You on Book Cover

05/16/2013 at 07:00 PM EDT

PEOPLE MAGAZINE

From drug abuse to rehab to hanging out with Michael Jackson at Neverland, Corey Feldman has seen it all. But he's never told the entire story – until now.

Feldman, 41, whose memoir, Coreyography, comes out this October, exudes that trouble and darkness on his face in the book's cover photo, seen here first on PEOPLE.

"After a lifetime of rumors and misconceptions," Feldman says, "I can finally set the record straight and tell my story the way it as meant to be told."

Emancipated at age 15 from a family Feldman calls dysfunctional, he dated Drew Barrymore and became best friends with his Lost Boys costar Corey Haim, known as "the other Corey."

Get more stories on your favorite celebrities by subscribing now.

The book will take a close look at their deep and troubled friendship, detailing Haim's lifelong struggle with various addictions leading up to his death in 2010.

Shadow of the Wind, by Spanish author Carlos Ruiz Zafón. It was written in 2001 and translated to English in 2004. It's so descriptive in the way it's written that it took only a few paragraphs before I got that "it's drawn me in" feeling.

The best way to describe it is from the book flap itself:

"Barcelona, 1945: A city slowly heals in the aftermath of the Spanish Civil War, and Daniel, an antiquarian book dealer’s son who mourns the loss of his mother, finds solace in a mysterious book entitled The Shadow of the Wind, by one Julián Carax. But when he sets out to find the author’s other works, he makes a shocking discovery: someone has been systematically destroying every copy of every book Carax has written. In fact, Daniel may have the last of Carax’s books in existence. Soon Daniel’s seemingly innocent quest opens a door into one of Barcelona’s darkest secrets--an epic story of murder, madness, and doomed love."

Posted Image

That's a great book, Serendipity!

I'm in a bit of a reading slump right now ... Can't seem to find something good :/

Edited by fykeylicious

I'm in a bit of a reading slump right now ... Can't seem to find something good :/

Finished the book and really loved it. So much, in fact, that it's been hard to start another book because I'm not ready to leave the vibe of Shadow behind. After a couple of weeks I went for a fun-read mystery, Jezebel in Blue Satin by Peter S. Fischer. Good narrative (I kept hearing Dick Powell's voice as the lead character) and colorful, which is likely due to the author also having being a screenwriter.

Finished the book and really loved it. So much, in fact, that it's been hard to start another book because I'm not ready to leave the vibe of Shadow behind. After a couple of weeks I went for a fun-read mystery, Jezebel in Blue Satin by Peter S. Fischer. Good narrative (I kept hearing Dick Powell's voice as the lead character) and colorful, which is likely due to the author also having being a screenwriter.

Th is a sequel to Shadow of the Wind.

Th is a sequel to Shadow of the Wind.

The Angels Game - I just opened it today and began reading it on my lunch break! I love how this author can draw me in to the story in just a paragraph or two.