MMM1

What are you reading?

As always, I'm reading a ton of stuff ;-)

Just downloaded this (on Kindle sale this month :-) for an upcoming trip! I'm a sucker for social history, especially rich people :-) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0078X2LM...nw_myk_ro_title

(currently reading most recent Patricia Cornwell, just finished The Expats which was a pretty good intrigue novel, quick read)

Only about a third of the way through it but I think those of us who love gossip would all enjoy Not Without You by Harriet Evans. About a current movie star and a mystery of how a classic film star disappeared. Pretty quick read so far. Hoping to get through most of it this weekend & then watch the Oscars red carpet ;-)

http://www.amazon.com/Not-Without-You-Harr...k/dp/B009JWCPBM

Only about a third of the way through it but I think those of us who love gossip would all enjoy Not Without You by Harriet Evans. About a current movie star and a mystery of how a classic film star disappeared. Pretty quick read so far. Hoping to get through most of it this weekend & then watch the Oscars red carpet ;-)

http://www.amazon.com/Not-Without-You-Harr...k/dp/B009JWCPBM

Thanks, Hoya. I put it on my Luzme watch list. FWIW, anyone with a kindle or nook should sign up for Luzme. You put in your books wanted list and it tracks the biggest online book stores and alerts you when it goes on sale. Because I read so much, I try to only buy books when they get below $2 and eventually almost very book goes on some sort of one day special.

Thanks, Hoya. I put it on my Luzme watch list. FWIW, anyone with a kindle or nook should sign up for Luzme. You put in your books wanted list and it tracks the biggest online book stores and alerts you when it goes on sale. Because I read so much, I try to only buy books when they get below $2 and eventually almost very book goes on some sort of one day special.

Thanks for the tip!

Ooh, sounds good! I still use my regular public library for most of what I read. I stockpile on my Kindle for when I travel ;-) I can get some ebooks through my library and I also have Amazon prime so I get one free book a month (and now they have a new program where you get another free book, but very limited choice - pre-publication) It's March now so I have to look for my new freebie ;-)

Also - I "like" some of my favorite romance authors on Facebook and they always announce when one of their - or a friends'-- books is on sale for kindle or nook....

Edited by Hoyaheel

I've read a lot of good books lately, especially

Annihilation and Authority, both by Jeff VanderMeer

The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August, by Claire North

The Three, by Sarah Lotz

I'm currently reading I am Livia by Phyllis Smith and To Rise Again At a Decent Hour by Joshua Ferris.

How 'bout you guys?

Edited by fykeylicious

Right now, finishing up Clive Cussler (The Bootlegger) and will be starting Jane Ridley: Heir Apparent (life of Edward VII, The Playboy Prince) next. I like to alternate fiction & non-fiction.

Looks like I might be heading to Shanghai for work in September so I need to check my book list and see what I have on Shanghai there - I just finished Amy Tan's Valley of Amazement a few weeks ago, before I knew I might be going to Shanghai - ah, synchronicity :-)

I've recently read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, and I just finished Killing Kennedy.

I also re-read Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series and am restarting his Dresden Files series. I love all of his books.

I have Henrietta Lacks on my kindle in holding....

New Dresden book just came out (Skin Game). Am waiting for my library to get it so I can request it ;-)

I know it was someone on this board (well, I strongly believe) who recommended the Black Dagger Brotherhood series by JR Ward and I have been reading them and I love them! Well, she has a new(ish) series called The Fallen Angels. I like :-)

Is anyone on goodreads? Every year I set a reading challenge via their website and this year I'm trying to read more than I've been able to do since becoming a mom. So far I'm right on track, so fingers crossed the second half of the year is just as good!

At any rate, I just read Chelsea Handler's Are You There, Vodka? which I thought was very disappointing considering how I've heard practically everyone sing its praises. I think I laughed at like one thing and even that was just okay. Maybe this wasn't the best book of hers to start with??

Also just read The Other Typist by Suzanne Rindell, which was good but I thought the ending could have used a wee bit more clarity. (I'm not one of those people who hate ambiguous endings, nor do I need everything tied up in a bow, but I thought the ending was a little murkier than it needed to be.)

Currently reading Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healey, and the protagonist is an elderly widow suffering from dementia, which is sooooo depressing. I don't know why I do this to myself.

Ooh - a month ago I read Bird Box by Josh Malerman and The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin - both were very very good!! (Not perfect, but very good!)

Apologizing in advance for replying from my phone so grammar rules be damned! I just finished Frog Music by Emma ... something, the same author who wrote Room. I was interested in the true-life mystery, but didn't like her characterizations. I had a hard time with Room, so I'm not sure why I read another of her books.

Currently I'm reading Top Secret Twenty One by Janet Evanovich. It sucks, but I'm 21 books into this series and need to see it to the end. I'm audiobooking Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. The tv show starts next month and it's been so long since I read the books, I thought a reread was in order.

The next two books in my library bag are the new JK Rowling (pseudonym unremembered) and Book of Life by Deborah Harkness, the final book in a trilogy.

My kids are 13 and 10 now so my reading life has improved a LOT. I will admit that I read for pleasure at this point, not scholarship, so it's not as impressive as it sounds. Not many heavy duty books on my lists. My yearly reading challenge is 75 books. Last year I got to 94, but usually I get somewhere in the 60s.

Dixiedoodah - geez, my summer reading list is an awful lot like yours! The new Deborah Harkness showed up on Wednesday (I had pre-ordered on Amazon) and I got the new Gabaldon a couple weeks earlier. Then I decided to re-read ALL the older Outlander books instead of just the last one, because it's been so long in between books. So who knows when I will actually get to read Written in my Own Blood (I have finished Outlander but haven't started Dragonfly in Amber yet ;-)

I mix non-fiction and fiction and read a lot of "fluff" in the summer - just finished new Catherine Coulter FBI adventure (Power Play) and my July freebie on Kindle, The Source (2nd in a new series - Savannah Witching family - fun for those who like supernatural stuff) and am reading Tom Robbins' memoir (ish) Tibetan Peach Pie.

I think it's odd that I have extremes - I read non-fiction, or I read fluff (usually mysteries & romances). Not a big fan of most "literary fiction" - not sure why. I think it's because I like happy endings and upbeat books and so freaking much of that literary fiction is depressing as all get out.....

Edited by Hoyaheel
  • Like 1

I loved Outlander, but stalled about a third of the way into the second book (I wasn't digging the setting, I think) and I ended up never finishing it. Very much looking forward to the show, although I wish they'd given Jamie longer hair.

There were parts of most of the Outlander books I didn't really love, and I know I'll skim quickly past as I'm re-reading, but overall I love the characters (and, dare I say it, the "universe" - where would be we without Joss Whedon?)

Since I don't have Starz, I'll have to wait for the dvd to show up (I can't even stream from home most of the time, so....)

Speaking of Starz/DVD - I need to look at see if the American version of Torchwood ever showed up on DVD. So many people told me it wasn't good, I haven't been too excited about looking for it....

You fine readers might be interested in Any New Books?

Basically it's an email service that emails you every week to let you know what new books are being released that week. It's awesome for obvious reasons but since I generally get about 6 emails a week (one for each genre I selected), I end up adding about 5-10 books a week to my TBR list, which is out of control.

I figured if you didn't already know about it, you might enjoy it as much as I do :D
  • Like 1

Has anyone read The Goldfinch? I didn't like The Secret History, so I'm debating whether or not to give this one a go.

Couldn't get into Secret History despite it being a favorite of many friends so I've not tried the Goldfinch (again, despite several friends enjoying....)

I've had the Goldfinch on my Kindle since it came out. Just can't get myself to start it. I'm at the tail end of the list I posted above, but just got a newsletter from Goodreads, a "books coming out by authors you have read" thing. I noticed that Tana French has a new book coming out this month. I LOVE her books. I feel like each one gets better than the last, unlike some authors. I just preordered and am clearing mental,shelf space to start that one as soon as it comes out.

Also, if you have Starz, the Outlander series premier goes live on On Demand tomorrow, a week earlier. I know a bunch of us have read that.

Started The Goldfinch about two days ago. It's good so far, but it's due back to the library on the 14th and I'm worried I won't finish in time. Fingers crossed.

Read Aviator's Wife - Melanie Benjamin - my library/Overdrive ebook had it. Quite nice - about Anne Morrow Lindbergh, but fiction.

I'm on Gabaldon #4 now. Just speeding through those. Geez, I might be able to read the new one by Nov or Dec ;-)

Am loading up my kindle now - have a trip to Atl and then China for work so about 3 wks travel and a couple of Loooooong flights. Joy.

• Like 1

Quick trip to midwest to visit my nephew (ok, and my sister & BIL too ;-) and one of the books I read was You Say Tomato, I Say Shut Up - so funny! My mom's husband gave me a bunch of books for my kindle and this was one.

Ever since I read it, I have been telling my husband I'm not going to choose "being happy" over "being right" because being right is what MAKES ME HAPPY.

Quite funny memoir of a marriage, basically.

In the past couple months since I've posted, I did finish Gabaldon #5 but didn't start #6 because of all the travel. Read a bunch of stuff I can't even remember on my kindle. Reading the new Kathy Reichs right now from library (Bones Never Lie) and have had some romances -new Stephanie Laurens, new Susan Elizabeth Phillips, JR Ward (last in the Immortal series), new Rachel Gibson...

Quick trip to midwest to visit my nephew (ok, and my sister & BIL too ;-) and one of the books I read was You Say Tomato, I Say Shut Up - so funny! My mom's husband gave me a bunch of books for my kindle and this was one.

Ever since I read it, I have been telling my husband I'm not going to choose "being happy" over "being right" because being right is what MAKES ME HAPPY.

Quite funny memoir of a marriage, basically.

In the past couple months since I've posted, I did finish Gabaldon #5 but didn't start #6 because of all the travel. Read a bunch of stuff I can't even remember on my kindle. Reading the new Kathy Reichs right now from library (Bones Never Lie) and have had some romances -new Stephanie Laurens, new Susan Elizabeth Phillips, JR Ward (last in the Immortal series), new Rachel Gibson...

AMEN TO THAT!!!