MMM1

What are you reading?

Have watched the first 2 episodes of Discovery of Witches (there are 8). I love it. I also want to read the books again ;-) I am....more turned on than I expected to be! I don't recall being aroused reading the books. So, there's that.....My husband also thinks the show is interesting. He does not seem to be aroused as I am, though ;-)

I've been reading the Game of Thrones books since about February.  Just starting the last one!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, princess said:

I've been reading the Game of Thrones books since about February.  Just starting the last one!

How are you liking them? I read them after the second season of the show. 

On 7/12/2019 at 5:55 PM, witchkitten said:

How are you liking them? I read them after the second season of the show. 

I'm rather liking it's taking a while to read them.  I usually zip through books so fast, it's nice to marinate in a story for this long.  I'll admit I'm not that into the Greyjoy chapters.

I just re-read the Elizabeth Chadwick books on Eleanor of Aquitaine.  I'm related to her (as well as her son the Evil King John, but I'll skip over that part :D )

• Like 2

Just finished Meet me in Monaco, very enjoyable. Romance (ish) parallel with Grace Kelly marrying Rainier. Now starting Lies in White Dresses about women divorcing in Reno in the early 50s (fiction). A couple of mysteries before these.....

Just finished No Walls and the Recurring Dream by Ani Difranco.  I found it to be very insightful to her life and career thru the early 2000's. Before that, the Crazy Rich Asian trilogy which was pretty entertaining.

Edited by torched
  • Like 1

I've been reading Judgment of Paris, which is the book the movie "Bottle Shock" was based off of.  Great movie if you haven't seen it.  The first half the book gives the background of wine making since the middle ages which is interesting, but does make for slow reading.

15 hours ago, princess said:

I've been reading Judgment of Paris, which is the book the movie "Bottle Shock" was based off of.  Great movie if you haven't seen it.  The first half the book gives the background of wine making since the middle ages which is interesting, but does make for slow reading.

I love this movie!   It is a hidden gem!!!  One of the few I stop and watch every time it is on (which is rare since it is not well known)

The cast is insane for such a little known movie...

• Like 1

Hmm, I know the story (wine lover here ? ) but hadn't heard of the movie. Will have to look it up!

On an alcohol related note, I currently am reading The Lager Queen of Minnesota ? 

I just read Big Little Lies. I liked it although I thought the execution could have been better. I’m looking forward to checking out the show when I’m ready to resubscribe to HBO even though I can’t stand Reese Witherspoon. She might ruin it for me. 

I also read Thirteen Reasons Why and felt the same way I did about BLL. I enjoyed it and thought the premise was good but thought it could have been executed better. I tried watching the show but I couldn’t even get through the first episode. 

• Like 1

I just finished Educated. Great book about a woman growing up in a strict Mormon home with absolutely no schooling. She decides to go to college and it follows her path towards doing that and her awakening to the wider world as she does so. 

Just finished Daisy Jones and The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid. It was better than I thought it would be and am going to go back to this author after I finish my next book. 

• Like 2

I just finished Gideon the Ninth - omg sooooooo gooood, if you're into that sort of thing (sci-fi/fantasy/horror-ish).

And, the Hugo nominations came out yesterday and it's nominated for best novel! If it doesn't win, I riot.

Reading Followers now.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fykeylicious said:

I just finished Gideon the Ninth - omg sooooooo gooood, if you're into that sort of thing (sci-fi/fantasy/horror-ish).

And, the Hugo nominations came out yesterday and it's nominated for best novel! If it doesn't win, I riot.

Reading Followers now.

I love the Grimnoir Chronicles so I’ll check this out. Thanks!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, torched said:

Just finished Daisy Jones and The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid. It was better than I thought it would be and am going to go back to this author after I finish my next book. 

I liked that one. I thought at the time it would make a great movie, so I’m looking forward to it. I have the Evelyn Hugo book on my kindle but pretty far down my TBR list. 

• Like 1

I read Daisy Jones and Normal People after Lainey raved and raved. Meh on both (but I thought Daisy Jones was better) I have realized that I do not have the same reading preferences as Lainey ;-) I really did like the Evelyn Hugo book.

I just finished the 3rd book in the Mycroft Holmes series written by Kareem Abdul Jabar. Next up - new Steve Berry book. Oh - I read All the Ways We Said Goodbye - it has 3 authors, Beatriz Williams, Karen White & Lauren Willig. They've written a couple together - I tend to prefer what they write solo, but since I love historical fiction.... ;-)

I really did not like Normal People. Weirdly, I think about it still almost a year later, but I did not enjoy it. I have the third Mycroft book on hold at the library. I liked Lauren Wilkins Pink Carnation series but her standalones haven’t been as interesting to me. I’m have three books going at the moment - quarantine reading - Broken Girls by Simone St James, the new Erik Larson about Churchill, and I’m on the last chapter of The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon. As soon as I finish that one I have Eight Perfect Murders by Peter Swanson on deck.

Edited by dixiedoodah
  • Like 1

I love goodreads, dixiedoodah! I love seeing what others are reading - I also love the reading challenge. I set one every year and, for the past few years at least, have failed spectacularly. Really enjoyed Evelyn Hugo, too - read that earlier this year.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, dixiedoodah said:

I really did not like Normal People. Weirdly, I think about it still almost a year later, but I did not enjoy it. I have the third Mycroft book on hold at the library. I liked Lauren Wilkins Pink Carnation series but her standalones haven’t been as interesting to me.

I agree - Pink Carnation series is such a fave for me! I do like her stand alone books better than the co-written books. Beatriz Williams Schuyler Sisters trio - I loved, beautifully written, but unsettling ending. I've loved the Gabaldon books from the beginning - re-read every so often (usually when she has a new book come out) but still haven't watched the tv show. 

If I run out of books (I'm not sure how I could, but...) I'm re-reading Deborah Harkness's Discovery of Witches series :-)

• Like 1

I just recently finished Cleo McDougal Regrets Nothing. I really enjoyed it. Funny, serious, very very topical. 

I’m thinking of reading this next. Written by Carrie Fisher’s former assistant. It looks interesting. 
https://www.shondaland.com/inspire/books/a33351782/byron-lane-turns-hollywood-assistant-life-into-life-affirming-storytelling/

334E314F-14FC-4EBC-AB30-1632FFD7BD8E.jpeg

Edited by dixiedoodah
  • Like 1

Yes, Cleo McDougal is a freebie for Amazon Prime this month - I downloaded it! It's currently 3rd in line after 2 library books ;-)

Right now I'm halfway through the new Iris Johansen The Persuasion, then I have checked out Hilary Mantel's Mirror and the Light for the 2nd time. Hope to finish it this time. I checked it out for my kindle - I think it's 750 pages? I like it, but it takes me a lot longer to read than other books.....