MMM1

What are you reading?

I'm reading student papers. Long ones. Really long ones. Eleven of them. Silly me saved the worst ones for last. Kill me. Please.

Don't you know you're supposed to do the icky stuff first, and save the best for last? Good luck!!

I'm reading student papers. Long ones. Really long ones. Eleven of them. Silly me saved the worst ones for last. Kill me. Please.

Just give them all a C and if they complain and say they should've gotten a higher grade tell them that their paper was so long that it worked against them. Or that they had a bunch of run on sentences like what I just did. And then go get maragaritas! :)

The library just called, I have finally reached the top of the list for Phillippa Gregory's The Other Queen! Woot woot! Just in the nick of time, as I am halfway through rereading Margaret George's Mary Queen of Scots and before that her Henry VIII. Now, any other suggestions for that era? I'd like to read another Henry VIII book, or Elizabeth I in historical fiction if anyone has any suggestions. Or even Bloody Mary.

How funny--I picked up The Other Queen on Saturday at the library and dropped the Widows of Eastwick to read about Mary instead (there's a line for The Other Queen but I can renew the Widows of Eastwick if I need to)

Since you want to stay in the Elizabethan age but you might be a bit burned out after these three heav(ier) books in a row, why don't you try one of the mysteries I recommended previously--Fiona Buckley (start with Siren Queen) or Karen Harper (start with Poyson Garden) Kathy Lynn Emerson gets you the right period (but not about the queen exactly--just a noblewoman-start with Face Down in the Marrow Bone Pie).

If you like forensics (CSI, Kathy Reichs, Patricia Cornwell) AND historical fiction, I highly recommend Ariana Franklin. First book is Mistress of the Art of Death and the new one (#2) just came out-- The Serpent’s Tale. It's not the Tudor time period (it's Henry II, end of the 12th century) but I love the books and got my mom hooked on them too:

http://www.arianafranklin.com/ and http://www.mistressoftheartofdeath.com/

A really unique blend of historical fiction, feminism, and science. But easy to read!

Finished The Other Queen. MUCH better than the last Gregory book, the Boleyn Inheritance! I thought it was as good as her earliest Tudor books (which are my favorites) It also explored a different time period than the George book, I'm pretty sure (it was new information to me, so either I totally forgot what the George book was about, which is possible :unsure: , or it really is a different approach) So I definitely recommend both historical fictions about Queen Mary. I think I might have to get the George book from the library again, just to bump my memory.

But for now, I'm back to finish Widows of Eastwick and then start The Eight by Katherine Neville. Reading a review for her new book that looks interesting, I saw it was the 2nd in the series so I thought I'd go back and read the first one--hadn't heard of it before, it looks interesting....

Finally started reading "Identical Strangers" about the twins who were adopted by different families and had no idea they were twins until they were 35. Very interesting!

I'm currently reading and enjoying "Hollywood Animal" by Joe Esterhas and as recommended by the Celeb Gossip Books thread (thanks Fan Chit Chat for the reading suggestions!). Prior to that I read and loved "A Moveable Feast" by my all time favorite Hemingway. Great book for these troubled times as he wrote it late in his life when he was flush with money and success and looks back longingly at a time when he was poor and struggling.

Geez, I've read a ton since I last posted here. Am currently reading Jane Eyre (for humanities club on Sunday--the theme this year is Mad Woman in the Attic--next up is Wide Sargasso Sea, then Yellow Wallpaper, Surfacing, and Sula) I read the biography of Emily Post (by Laura Claridge--fascinating social history, really) some mysteries (MC Beaton, Lyn Hamilton, Kathy Reichs) and some romances. All in all, a lovely holiday season :4biggrin:

I'm reading Lamb again, almost forgot how much I love Christopher Moore. Has anybody read A Dirty Job yet? I've been wondering if I should pick it up or just read Lust Lizard again :banana:

I'm reading "Hiding in Hip Hop" by Terrance Dean. I'm not a huge fan of rap but I've often felt that most of what I've heard and seen on TV is homoerotic, in spite of the rappers' lyrics and posturing. And, based on this book, I was right.

To those interested, here's the skinny: It's mostly about closeted black rappers but he also outs producers, singers, comedians and actors. And unlike true tell-alls, Terrance doesn't name names. He'll also piss you off when he suddenly gets vague in his descriptions of the not so obvious closeted celebs he outs - this is obviously done out of fear and/or a sense of loyalty. Other celebs seem to be fair game. He confirms your suspicions about those celebs that set off your gaydar, and his descriptions of them and other celebs make it very easy to guess who he's talking about.

It's poorly edited in more than a few parts. Still, it's a fun read for those of you who enjoy gossipy books.

I just picked up the newest Susan Elizabeth Phillips. Just from reading the inside flap - the heroine is thinly veiled Jennifer Aniston. I :wub: SEP - and hope this is good :)

Just finished (finally) The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, then sped through Sarah Vowell's latest, The Wordy Shipmates, over the weekend. Started on Kate Atkinson's Case Histories the other night and am wishing I had more time to read it. Maybe over the weekend.

Just finished "Comfort" by Ann Hood. Incredibly sad memoir about her 5-year-old daughter's sudden death from a strep infection. I was sobbing. I can't imaging losing one of my kids.

I'm reading David Gibbins Atlantis for fun (adventure/history) and Yellow Wallpaper for Humanities book club, as well as Herland and Beyond, a biography of Charlotte Perkins Gilman (not required for book club, but a book I've owned for ages and haven't read--I LOVED Herland-the novel- but didn't care as much for The Yellow Wallpaper)

:4biggrin: I just finished The Reader. Wow! What a good book. I haven't seen the movie. Can't wait for the dvd.

There was a lady at the thrift store yesterday trying to get me to buy it. I was on my lunch break and doing a quick run-through of the 3 thrift stores closest to my job, looking specifically for Steve Berry paperbacks to send my dad in Iraq. I knew what I wanted, I didn't have time to chat, and I sure wasn't looking for customer input :rolleyes: After the Reader, she tried to get me to buy one of Oprah's bookclub things. I ignored her and just kept scanning the shelves.....

The funny thing is, she's probably as annoyed with me as I was with her :4biggrin:

I only found one Steve Berry book for dad, so I'm going to try another thrift store (different town) on Saturday morning and if I don't find anything--send what I have now and keep my eyes open....

Finally got to the Susan Elizabeth Phillips book. the heroine isn't Jennifer Aniston, but the ex-husband and new wife are definitely Brad and Angelina. Thinly veiled as such and their characterization is hilarious Their part in the story doesn't really progress the plot much, so you can read it alone. Brangelina superfans will be upset but the rest of us get validation of how insipid they really are ......

Is that Glitter Baby? Or What I did For Love? I've only read SEP's Chicago Stars books so far....

What I Did For Love. I haven't read Glitter Baby. It is a rewrite of her first novel. Jennifer Crusie new one is out too - my two favorites in one month.... Unfortunately they only write new ones every 18-24 months. Feast then famine :(

I get so behind in checking my to-do reading list--I was doing some updating a few weeks ago and realized there were some authors I hadn't checked on in so long they had 4 years + of books for me to catch up on. Having a long list of authors/series is good for helping to avoid the feast/famine problem, because someone on the list is going to have written something you haven't read yet ;-)

Finishing up Donna Tartt's "The Secret History". It's fantastic.

My best friend loved that book. I got it at a booksale or tag sale a few years ago and tried to read it. Could NOT get beyond the first chapter. That's very odd for me. I've kept it, in hopes I might be able to get into it in the future, because I've heard quite a few people talk about how much they love it.

The writing style is odd--I picked it up at the used bookstore last weekend. It took me a little time to get into the story, but I was hooked about 1/4 of the way in. It's well-plotted and I'm glad I stuck with it.