MMM1

What are you reading?

OK, I just started reading Jessica Simpson's memoir and it's GOOD! I'm not sure she had help - she's been super open so I think if she had a ghostwriter she would have noted that but who knows. Anyway, so far so good....

My college roommates have decided to do a book club after doing an alumni webinar a few weeks ago from one of our favorite professors on geopolitics. So we're reading Prisoners of Geography by Tim Marshall, and in a few weeks, we'll have the first of our discussions. I've never been in a book club before! ;-) This one will be tri-continental!! We're in the US, UK, and Mozambique.....

• Like 2

Really enjoyed Jessica Simpsons memoir. Who knew?! Had our first book club for Prisoners of Geography on Saturday and that was amazing. We talked for 3 hrs - and some of it was actually the book! ? Next book club in a month...

Half way through The Woman Before Wallis by Bryn Turnbull - historical fiction about David, Prince of Wales mistress before Wallis, Thelma, Lady Furness. Aunt of Gloria Vanderbilt too...Very well written and y'all know I have a minor Wallis obsession so this is an interesting piece of history/fiction to add. It's her first novel too, I think.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, princess said:

I decided to re-read The Stand.  Haven't read it in over 20 years, but seems appropriate :)

Used the laugh thing, but this really needs a ??

• Like 2

Didn't they just remake that? I was living in Salt Lake when they filmed the original - lots of it in City Creek Canyon, right next to where I lived. So normally I hate steven king (I can't do scary!!) But I had to watch that....

On 9/8/2020 at 3:44 PM, Hoyaheel said:

Didn't they just remake that? I was living in Salt Lake when they filmed the original - lots of it in City Creek Canyon, right next to where I lived. So normally I hate steven king (I can't do scary!!) But I had to watch that....

I hear they are doing a mini series on one of the cable channel streaming services later this year.  I think CBS?  Whoopie G. plays one of the leads.

• Like 1

Just finished Sex and Vanity by Kevin Kwan. Also doing Eloisa James,  started with  the  Pleasures  Trilogy,  then the Essex Sisters and currently in the Desperate Duchesses series  (Book #2  An Affair Before Christmas).  

Edited by MissuTam
  • Like 1

I didn't like Sex & Vanity as much as the first trio - Crazy Rich Asians etc - but he's a good writer and I enjoyed it. I ADORE Eloisa James 😍

Dropped off library books today. Didn't expect to go in but I did. Oops. Found 4 books to take home. I've had a bunch reserved on kindle through the library but they've updated the system - I can request a "redelivery" if a book on hold becomes available and I don't have time to read it.....

Next up - most recent Jim Butcher book in the Harry Dresden series - Battle Ground. Last book - if anyone wants a lovely queer historical romance - Cat Sebastian is a great author. Alison Weir's fiction series on Henry VIII's wives - up through Katheryn Howard now.  

Just finished Beatriz Williams new book Her Last Flight. Possibly my favorite of hers so far - really enjoyed it! Yesterday I read magazines because I'm super behind and I subscribe to a lot. Finally made it through March 😉

Just now about to start new Sherry Thomas Murder on Cold Street, a Lady Sherlock mystery.

I am rereading the Bridgerton series.   I read them when they came out, and was not enamored as everyone else was, but didn’t hate them either.

My opinion has not changed, except now I have faces to names😂.   The first book was super problematic.   Fifteen years ago, THE SCENE was probably more common in that generation of books, and something I brushed over.   Now I was so disgusted I almost didn’t finish the book.  I am shocked she has not revised it.

I thought they handled it in the show better, but still problematic.

• Like 1

I'm glad she hasn't revised Bridgerton. I hate that. Learn what is wrong & problematic - do better in the future - but don't change the past. But they didn't need to have it in the show, that's for sure!

My college friends and I are reading All the President's Men for book club (we sort of alternate fiction and non-fiction - but we're also only on our 3rd book - our 1st book we did over a few months because it was on geopolitics). I just finished a Stephanie Laurens romance, and a couple Molly Harper supernatural romance/mysteries. Getting through summer issues of the magazines I subscribe to - I've been sooooooo behind - for the first few months of quarantine, I just didn't feel like reading. It was an extremely odd thing for me since I've been an avid reader as long as I can remember. I've been ok with everything in quarantine but I guess I wasn't really ok and that's how it manifested.... 

I haven’t watched the show but I read a few of the books back when they came out. My response was similar to yours. I was surprised they are so popular. I just reread book 1 about two weeks ago and liked it even less this time. 

Hoya, I was the SAME! I usually read anywhere between 60-100 books a year but last year I went months without reading. I finally started reading more again towards the end of the year. This year I’m sort of back to normal. I also wonder if it wasn’t that I was too busy doom scrolling Twitter to read because of Trump. That or low level quarantine depression. 

edited to add my current books.  I’m about 40 pages from finishing the Obama book, I finished My Sister the Serial Killer last night.  I started The Secret Life of Bees this morning because daughter’s IB English class is reading it now. I just downloaded The City We Became on audible to start when I finish Obama. 

Edited by dixiedoodah
  • Like 1

I don't track the number of books I read in a year, though 60-100 sounds like a lot. Maybe it's not. I have no clue. But I'm glad you're back reading more again - I do blame twitter. Well, Tr*mp, because twitter is much better now.....

As for romance novels - I started with the harlequin paperbacks in the early 80s, when I was 10 or 11. Read the entire spinner that summer. (previous summer I'd read all the Agatha Christies!)  Then it was into Judith Krantz and Jackie Collins and all those other super trashy and really lovely books of "romance". I went to boarding school and for some reason (we always thought the librarians and the faculty wives) our library had a FANTASTIC supply of those books always in stock!! FYI - this was the school I attended with "Julia Quinn" - she's 3 yrs ahead of me, one of her sisters 1 yr behind me.  I found out about her novels in our alumni magazine so I started reading her a couple years after her first books were published, in the late 90s. So for the past 20 yrs, lots of historical romance, and for modern - I like some of the lighthearted supernatural romances.

I love romance novels. I used to call them my guilty pleasure and finally said screw that - they're my pleasure and I'm gonna own that 😉

Also - this is why I say EL James is a terrible writer - I read the Anne Rice "Beauty" books in high school - soooooooo much better than 50 shades of blah.

I keep a to-read list in word (I started 20+ yrs ago and it just seems too much effort to change to anything else) Because I read mysteries and romances - lots of series to keep track of. My document is 15 pages, multiple columns, almost no order at all, 8pt font 😜

• Haha 1

I've been reading fluff books lately.  Just finished the Practical Magic series.  Very cute easy reads.  Interesting what they put into the movie and the changes they made.  The books really paint a picture of the Aunts.

I've been struggling to figure out what to read next.  Thanks to this great thread I've got several books on hold for me now at the library. :1smile:

• Like 1