Sign in to follow this  
princess

My Bad: 25 Years of Public Apologies and the...

NY Daily NewsApologies by celebsare in a sorry state More and more, it seems that we're living in the Age of the Insincere Apology.No wonder co-authors Paul Slansky and Arleen Sorkin have written "My Bad: 25 Years of Public Apologies and the Appalling Behavior That Inspired Them."Slansky told me yesterday that the book was inspired "by people who feel they can be beloved by just offering a little bleat of contrition."Some highlights: Hugh Grant: "Last night I did something completely insane. I have hurt people I love and embarrassed people I work with. For both things, I am more sorry than I can ever possibly say." - after L.A. cops caught him being serviced in his car by Hollywood hooker Divine Brown in June 1995. Dolly Parton: "I regret that my words have conjured up an impression of Jewish 'control' of Hollywood. I sincerely apologize for my statement ... which has been misinterpreted by a number of people." - after telling Vogue in February 1994 that her idea for a television series about a country singer who switches to gospel after a near-death experience was rejected because "most people out here are Jewish, and it's a frightening thing for them to promote Christianity." Michael Jackson: "I offer no excuses for what happened. I made a terrible mistake. I got caught up in the excitement of the moment. I would never intentionally endanger the lives of my children." - after dangling his infant son, Prince Michael II, over the fourth-floor balcony of his Berlin hotel suite in November 2002. The New York Post: "Obviously, we were wrong - and we'd like to humbly apologize to our readers for the mistake." - after announcing on its front page in July 2004 that Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry had picked Dick Gephardt as his running mate.

Dolly Parton: "I regret that my words have conjured up an impression of Jewish 'control' of Hollywood. I sincerely apologize for my statement ... which has been misinterpreted by a number of people." - after telling Vogue in February 1994 that her idea for a television series about a country singer who switches to gospel after a near-death experience was rejected because "most people out here are Jewish, and it's a frightening thing for them to promote Christianity."

Is this why she lost the Oscar? I mean, it would make sense. But, come on, she was the best one of the Original Song nominees!

Mel Gibson's apology for his anti-Jewish, drunken rant was several paragraphs long. Here is a good part:

"The tenets of what I profess to believe necessitate that I exercise charity and tolerance as a way of life. Every human being is God’s child, and if I wish to honour my God I have to honour his children. But please know from my heart that I am not an anti-Semite. I am not a bigot. Hatred of any kind goes against my faith."

Riiiiiight! I believe that...especially after his most sympathetic portrayal of Jews in "The Passion of the Christ"

Mel Gibson's apology for his anti-Jewish, drunken rant was several paragraphs long. Here is a good part:

"The tenets of what I profess to believe necessitate that I exercise charity and tolerance as a way of life. Every human being is God’s child, and if I wish to honour my God I have to honour his children. But please know from my heart that I am not an anti-Semite. I am not a bigot. Hatred of any kind goes against my faith."

Riiiiiight! I believe that...especially after his most sympathetic portrayal of Jews in "The Passion of the Christ"

His is a barely disguised piece of horsesh*t. "I *have* to honour his children". Hey dont let god twist your arm there, braveheart. the guy is an angry man who doesnt come close to living up to the better ideals of his faith.