princess

Anne Hathaway

Anne H's Boytoy Raffa Probed in NY

Posted Jun 9th 2008 8:26AM by TMZ Staff

The ever-troubled boyfriend of Anne Hathaway has attracted yet more attention from the law -- his charity is being probed by the New York Attorney General, possibly for failing to file proper tax docs.

Raffaello Follieri's Follieri Foundation is being investigated by State AG Andrew Cuomo, reports the New York Post, and his people have been handing out subpoenas asking for financial docs from the charity group. They may have failed to hand in tax-disclosure forms to the IRS.

Reps for the group say they're cooperating with the investigation.

As TMZ first reported, Mr. Hathaway was arrested a couple months back after he bounced a check for over $200K. Charges were dropped after he paid back the money.

Anne Hathaway's Charitable Beau Under Investigation

Anne Hathaway's boyfriend is having money trouble. Again.

The New York State Attorney General's Office is investigating the Follieri Foundation, a charity run by Hathaway's guy, Raffaello Follieri, that helps fund vaccines for impoverished children in the Third World, per the organization's website.

Hathaway has done outreach work for the organization and, up until sometime last year, sat on its board of directors.

"Since she is no longer associated with the foundation, why would you expect her to be familiar with all of this?" the actress' rep told the New York Post when asked about the Get Smart star's knowledge of the investigation.

While the exact nature of the inquiry is currently unknown, the Attorney General's Office has confirmed that it issued subpoenas for various financial records.

A rep for Follieri said the 29-year-old businessman "looks forward to concluding this matter in a timely and expeditious manner...so that he may continue to fulfill his ongoing philanthropic endeavors worldwide."

"Raffaello Follieri and his attorney, Cyrus Vance [Jr.], have been cooperating fully with the Attorney General's Office to satisfy their routine inquiry," the rep said.

Follieri, who has been romancing Hathaway since 2005, was cited in April for bouncing a $215,000 check to an associate. Criminal charges were dropped after he turned himself in to the NYPD and made arrangements to settle the debt.

He was also ordered to pay $240,000 to a Washington, D.C.-based public relations firm that repped him while he was fighting a lawsuit brought by real-estate magnate Ron Burkle, who accused Follieri of misusing at least $1.3 million of $55 million that was supposed to be put toward a joint property venture.

In the suit, Burkle alleged Follieri had racked up inappropriate expenses for, among other things, "excessive use and inappropriate private jet travel for Follieri, his actress girlfriend and his father."

The two sides settled earlier this year.

Copyright © 2008 E! Online, Inc.

Devil Wears Prada star Anne Hathaway splits from long-time love

The Devil Wears Prada actress Anne Hathaway put on a brave face at her latest film premiere last night after breaking up with long-term boyfriend Raffaello Follieri, the Mail Online can reveal.

The 25-year-old movie star ended her four year relationship with Italian-American businessman, 29, over the weekend.

The Brokeback Mountain star's decision follows over a year of scandal linked to Follieri.

Last week, it was reported his charity Follieri Foundation, which funded vaccination programmes in developing countries, was being investigated by the New York State Attorney General's Office.

Posted Image

An insider tells the Mail Online that Hathaway made the painful decision to end their relationship because of the effects his controversial business dealings could have on her career.

Hathaway served as a director on the charity's board until some time last year, with her rep saying: 'Since she is no longer associated with the foundation, why would you expect her to be familiar with all of this,' when asked about the investigation.

A source said: 'It's heartbreaking for her to dump him, and she's devastated that it's come to this, but she really didn't have a choice. His scandals were hurting her reputation.'

Despite their split, it remains to be seen if the separation is permanent.

The couple were reported to have split briefly this year after Follieri was sued by a former business associate for bouncing a $215,000 cheque.

Criminal charges against Follieri were dropped after he turned himself into police and settled the outstanding bill.

Follieri often visited Hathaway on the Boston set of her upcoming movie Bride Wars, but they were regularly spotted arguing by crew members.

A friend said: 'They fought so much while Anne was making the movie, she genuinely started to wonder if the relationship was worth all the pain.'

Hathaway also heard rumours from her friends in New York that the businessman had been flirting with other women while she was away filming.

The friend added: 'Raffaello would only ever visit her on sets for short periods of time.

'He was very caught up in his social life and making connections in New York, and stories would get back to Anne about his late nights and carousing, usually with models in the immediate vicinity.'

During the making of Get Smart last summer, Hathaway formed a friendship with co-star Steve Carell, who lent her a supportive ear during her problems with Follieri.

Hathaway's split from Follieri may mean she finally moves to Hollywood, after years of insisting she would remain on the east coast to stay close to her beau.

A pal said: 'She seemed to really be enjoying her freedom, and making new friends in L.A., especially Steve.

'Anne really wants to find a guy like Steve, and if he weren't married, I have no doubt she would date him in a second.

'She's such a fan of his work she couldn't help but quote episodes of 'The Office' to him when they first met. She thinks he's amazing.

'Even though she loves being near her family, a move to Los Angeles could mean better roles, more money, and a better pool of potential boyfriends.'

Posted Image

Shoes - yes.

Dress - no.

She needs COLOUR!!!!! Strong COLOUR!!!!

I totally agree with you

I loveeeeee her, but sometimes...she needs a new stylist

Shoes - yes.

Dress - no.

She needs COLOUR!!!!! Strong COLOUR!!!!

I totally agree with you

I loveeeeee her, but sometimes...she needs a new stylist

I still think she looked good last night...maybe because she ditched the crooked boyfriend hanging on her arm. And also that she's rich...has great lips...great ass...nice breastesses...:P

*pops breath mint*

From ElleDriver posted in "How he holds her"

This was on Crazy Days and Nights

I don't know what in the hell she sees in him, but the rumors about Anne Hathaway breaking up with her boyfriend are not true. Let me make this clear. He would break up with her, but she would never leave him. I think people ask her and plead with her everyday to break up with the douchebag, but when she tries to leave, he just sucks her back in. She gave up a long time ago trying to leave.

Plus, I think he is really cool with her side activities if you know what I mean and she is okay with his. I will say that I'm not sure of the exact hold he has over her. I don't know if it is a bad boy thing or if there is something more sinister or if he owes her a bunch of money and so she is staying until she has a chance of getting paid.

Just know this. That despite what you may read or even hear from PR people in the next few days, Anne is totally into this guy and isn't leaving. Wish she was, but she isn't.

From ElleDriver posted in "How he holds her"

I think people ask her and plead with her everyday to break up with the douchebag, but when she tries to leave, he just sucks her back in. She gave up a long time ago trying to leave.

Hmmm...I wouldn't be sure that he's doing all the sucking... :D

well...maybe I need to move this picture to Red Light..but it's not confirmed if she's taking care of his little Rafaello or not.... :blink:

Anne Hathaway Splits from Raffaello Follieri

By Michelle Tauber

Originally posted Wednesday June 18, 2008 10:45 AM EDT

When Anne Hathaway walked the red carpet for her movie Get Smart's Los Angeles premiere June 16, she was all smiles on the arm of her costar, Steve Carell.

Nowhere in sight: Hathaway's boyfriend of four years, Italian businessman Raffaello Follieri.

The longtime couple are "for now, not together," says a source close to Hathaway, 25. (The actress's rep declined to comment.)

Adds the source: "They are always breaking up and getting back together, so the fact that they broke up this time around doesn't strike me as anything new. They are passionate people – and just like any relationship, people get together, break up and get back together again. This breakup is one in a long line of previous breakups, so I don't think it's anything significant."

It has been an especially rocky few months for Follieri, 29, who is under investigation by the New York State Attorney General's office, which has no record of IRS tax disclosure forms necessary for his charitable Follieri Foundation.

Last month, the Manhattan District Attorney's office declined to prosecute Follieri after his arrest in April for allegedly writing a $215,000 bad check.

"They dated for four years," says a source close to Follieri. "He loves her. He cares deeply for her. It's a shame."

"Get Smart" spies victory at box office

The new spy spoof "Get Smart" took an early lead at the weekend box office in North America, while Mike Myers bombed with his latest comedy "The Love Guru," according to first-day sales data issued on Saturday.

"Get Smart," a remake of the '60s television series of the same name, earned an estimated $13.35 million on Friday, said distributor Warner Bros. Pictures.

The Time Warner-owned studio said the film would end up with about $37 million -- slightly ahead of forecasts -- once ticket sales for Saturday and Sunday are factored in. Estimates for the three-day period will be issued on Sunday, followed by final data on Monday.

"The Love Guru," meanwhile, opened at No. 4 with just $5.4 million, according to tracking firm Box Office Mojo, and will fall far short of the $20 million range that Hollywood pundits had picked for the weekend. Paramount Pictures, the film's Viacom Inc-owned distributor, declined to comment.

The studios' decision to stake out the same weekend for their competing comedies surprised many observers, who predicted they would end up cannibalizing each other. Critics were largely appalled by both films.

"Get Smart" stars Steve Carell as Maxwell Smart, the bumbling secret agent originated by Don Adams. Anne Hathaway fills in for Barbara Feldon as his smart sidekick, Agent 99.

Warner Bros. partnered on the $80 million project with Australia's Village Roadshow Ltd. It looks to have a happier journey than the companies' recent disaster "Speed Racer."

"The Love Guru," which marks Myers' first on-screen appearance since the 2003 bomb "The Cat in the Hat," reportedly cost about $60 million to make. The Canadian actor plays a Deepak Chopra-style New Age guru.

Last weekend's champion, the Marvel Entertainment Inc-produced superhero saga "The Incredible Hulk," slipped to No. 2 with about $6.4 million, taking its 8-day total to $81 million, said Box Office Mojo. "Hulk" was distributed by General Electric Co's Universal Pictures,

The DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc cartoon "Kung Fu Panda" was down one to No. 3 with about $6.3 million in its third round. It has earned $140 million to date, said Box Office Mojo. "Kung Fu Panda" is distributed by Paramount.

Copyright © 2008 Reuters Limited

Anyone see the pix of her in In Style? she is getting way too skinny... scary skinny. When she mentioned that Rachel Zoe is her stylist, I had visions of Nicole Richie and Ho-han... coked up and wasting away.

Anyone see the pix of her in In Style? she is getting way too skinny... scary skinny. When she mentioned that Rachel Zoe is her stylist, I had visions of Nicole Richie and Ho-han... coked up and wasting away.

I think Anne is a naturally striking and attractive woman, but the latest photos, I dunno, she looks...tired. Maybe it's no more than just that, work. Maybe compounded by personal stresses. I didn't think she looked as if she had any sparkle in the latest photos but then the grey dress didn't help. The mag photoshoot pictures at top here weren't that great either, interesting, but...something off about them, again lacking pizzazz.

Doctor Gimme says: I think she's tired and needs a break away from this game for awhile to recharge. :)

Anne Hathaway's ex-boyfriend Follieri arrested

Italian businessman faces wire fraud conspiracy, money laundering charges

msnbc.com

NEW YORK - An Italian businessman who has been romantically linked to movie star Anne Hathaway has been arrested on wire fraud conspiracy and money laundering charges, Manhattan prosecutors said Tuesday.

Raffaello Follieri, who was awaiting an appearance in Manhattan federal court, is accused of falsely telling an investor that the Vatican had appointed him to manage its financial affairs.

He allegedly claimed that as a result of his Vatican connections, he and others could obtain properties of the Catholic church in the United States at a substantial discount to fair market value.

The name of his attorney could not immediately be determined.

Hathaway's publicist, Stephen Huvane, has previously stressed that "The Devil Wears Prada" star is not part of any probes and is no longer a board member of the Follieri Foundation.

Earlier this month, the New York state attorney general's office said it was investigating the foundation operated by Follieri, 29. The charity's work includes vaccinating children in Third World countries.

The Follieri Foundation has not filed U.S. tax disclosure forms required from charities, according to a review of records by The Associated Press.

© 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Hathaway ratted ex to FBI: pal

NY Daily News

HOW EXACTLY did the feds "Get Smart" about Anne Hathaway's breakup with her troubled boyfriend?

A pal of jailed wheeler-dealer Raffaello Follieri suspects the starlet spoke with the FBI shortly before they arrested her ex for an alleged $6 million con job.

"It makes sense," the friend said. "She's referred to as his former girlfriend in the indictment even though her spokesman never confirmed they broke up."

Hathaway, who is not identified by name in the criminal complaint, split with Follieri shortly before his arrest last week. He is charged with posing as an agent of the Vatican to fleece investors out of millions.

"I think that in return for her cooperation, the feds held off on arresting Follieri until she was out of the country," the friend said.

Hathaway's camp has declined to comment on Follieri's legal troubles. The Italian businessman faces up to 20 years in federal prison if he's convicted of wire-fraud and money-laundering charges.

The 29-year-old businessman is accused of living the high life after he allegedly duped investors into pouring millions of dollars into a phony real-estate scheme.

Follieri, a fixture at Hathaway's side for years, remains locked up on $21 million bail.

"I think that in return for her cooperation, the feds held off on arresting Follieri until she was out of the country," the friend said.

Nice deal her team brokered for her, there. :D

I'm not sure I believe this entirely. I don't think she's involved with his dealings but since those dealings are somewhat common knowledge as displayed in the ordinary press, I'm pretty sure he'd be on the Feds radar anyway, from months, even years ago.

But, it would make Anne look good and able to extricate herself more honorably from this 'relationship' or arrangement, whatever it is, to say she's grassed him up. I'm not sure she'd need to. Just my opinion.

hey, is this her first cover?? That would kinda suck to have this be her first cover...

Posted Image

Anne Hathaway's Ex: From Keeper to 'Con Man'?

Originally posted Wednesday July 02, 2008 09:30 AM EDT

people.com

Of all the dozens of victims dashing Italian businessman Raffaello Follieri allegedly duped, actress Anne Hathaway fell the hardest, friends of the brunette beauty tell PEOPLE in its latest issue, on sale Friday.

After shooting to fame at 18 as a squeaky-clean Disney heroine in The Princess Diaries, Hathaway, 25, thought she had found her Prince Charming in 30-year-old Follieri, telling PEOPLE in 2006 that he was a keeper. "You can say what you want about it, but we just love each other," the actress said at the time.

Even as some friends say they warned Hathaway about Follieri, she stuck by him for months as allegations of his wrongdoing swirled. Last month, Follieri was arrested on charges of wire-fraud conspiracy and money laundering. Appearing in a Manhattan court on June 24, he was branded a "con man" by federal prosecutors, who accuse him of bilking investors of millions.

"She's a sweet girl, and he seemed like the right kind of guy," says a friend of Hathaway's. "At the end of the day, could she tell you that he was a dirty dealer? No way."

But when Hathaway learned that Follieri's charitable foundation was under investigation by the New York State attorney general for tax irregularities, the actress broke off the relationship. Says a pal: "That was the last straw."

In the aftermath, a source close to the star says her busy work schedule – last month she finished shooting the romantic comedy Bride Wars with Kate Hudson and she has been promoting her current comedy Get Smart – has been a welcome distraction.

"Anne didn't mention [the breakup], and people around her didn't ask," says the source. "She was completely blinded on this one. She loved him and so she didn't see much else until now."

For the full story, including Hathaway's first impression of Follieri and their dinner with his parents a few weeks ago, pick up this week's PEOPLE, on newsstands Friday

Steve Carell's Red-Carpet Rescue of Anne Hathaway

Posted Image

Personal questions were strictly forbidden at the Italian premiere of Get Smart on Monday – but that didn't stop one reporter from asking the movie's star, Anne Hathaway, "Was the separation from your ex-boyfriend painful?"

The actress's former flame, Raffaello Follieri, remains in prison, awaiting trial on a dozen counts of wire fraud conspiracy and money laundering. And while Hathaway, 25, has continued with her publicity tour, she has steadfastly refused to discuss the split.

After the reporter lobbed the question, Hathaway remained silent and attempted a faint smile.

But, as if on cue, her costar Steve Carell valiantly stepped in to declare: "In my role of agent [for] Miss Hathaway, I would like to say that she does not answer questions relating to this subject."

What do you want to bet that if everyone simply stops talking about her jailbird boyfriend and in the process she gets relegated to the back pages of all the magazines, that she starts yapping loud and long about this whole thing. I think she stayed with this guy from the start precisely because she knew it would put her on the front page ala the Miley Cyrus picture backlash.

Edited by alpierce

FBI grabs Anne Hathaway's diaries

Anne Hathaway with accused con-man and ex-boyfriend, Raffaello Follieri.

Anne Hathaway could be drawn deeper into the fraud scandal of her ex-boyfriend, Raffaello Follieri, now that FBI agents have seized the actress’ private journals, sources tell us.

The agents confiscated the intimate diaries of the “Devil Wears Prada” star during another raid on Follieri’s $37,500-a-month Trump Tower pad, according to the sources. Seeking to bolster their case against the dashing Italian, who has been charged with 11 counts of fraud and money laundering, agents are also said to have seized photos of Follieri with Bill and Hillary Clinton, Pope John Paul II, and John and Cindy McCain. Also confiscated were documents, watches, a Tiffany clock, an antique Bible and personal photos of Follieri and Hathaway.

Hathaway, who has been charged with no crime, has cut off all contact with the 30-year-old Follieri, say sources. While Follieri recently had associates return to Hathaway a $250,000 abstract painting that had hung in his pad, “she’s changed her numbers so he can’t reach her,” says a friend. “Raffaello has been trying to call her all the time.”

The disconnect notice is bound to darken the 7½-by-8-foot Metropolitan Correctional Center cell where Follieri has been held since his June 24 arrest, which stemmed from his bid to sell Catholic Church properties.

“Raffaello is doing very badly,” says a friend of Follieri, who was hospitalized for an anxiety attack the day he was locked up. “He says people are abusing him. He’s a broken man.”

According to friends, he still wonders whether Hathaway, 25, helped put him behind bars. “He was in Europe, working on a deal,” says a source. “He didn’t have to come back to New York. He knew he was being investigated. But she kept calling him, saying they needed to resolve their future. A few days after his return, he was arrested.”

Hathaway's rep declined to comment on "nonsense" and "false assumptions."

Last week, prosecutors said Follieri was considering a plea deal. “It’s very fishy,” says one source. “He hasn’t even been indicted yet, and already they’re talking a plea? But he may have no money and the feds may have him so scared that he thinks this is his best shot.”

Follieri is also said to feel abandoned by his longtime adviser, lawyer Marty Edelman. According to a source, Edelman has refused to confer with Follieri’s current attorney, Flora Edwards, telling her he may be a witness should the case go to trial.

A lawyer for Edelman declined to comment.

Edwards says Follieri "is holding up reasonably well" in "a difficult and hostile environment." She won't say whether he's mulling a plea, however, adding that "I have no information that Mary Edelman is a witness and he has not refused to speak with me."

The agents confiscated the intimate diaries of the “Devil Wears Prada” star during another raid on Follieri’s $37,500-a-month Trump Tower pad,

Ahem, you break up with a guy and you leave your diaries?

Convenient much.

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but If I wanted to get as much pr buzz out of this as possible, I'd make up fake diaries to conveniently leave for police to find.

I mean, come on, how long does anyone think Anne Hathaway is going to be the It girl. About as long as it takes a match to burn out.