Sign in to follow this  
princess

U2

EOnline.comHAVEN'T FOUND WHAT THEY'RE LOOKING FOR: Fans in Sao Paulo, Brazil, standing in line at city supermarkets up to 12 hours to score a ticket to see U2 when the Irish quartet come to town on Feb. 20. Cashier machines broke down, but no major incidents occurred. Promoters however said an extra show would be added.

popbitch.comBono was overheard this week in Dublin's Michelin-starred Patrick Guilbaud restaurant discussing a new charity red Am Ex card and red iPod.

popbitch.comBono likes to campaign to Make Poverty History. U2concert tickets were on sale in Brazil this weekfor $88 - two-thirds the average monthly wage.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060209/en_nm/leisure_grammys_dc

By Dean Goodman

38 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Irish rockers U2 took time out from saving the

world to bask in some Grammy glory on Wednesday.

The band won all five categories in which it was nominated, including

the coveted album and song of the year awards. With a career haul of

22, the band ranks No. 6 on the all-time list of Grammy winners.

"I don't know what to say. It's really a big night for our band," U2

singer Bono said, as the band accepted the second album of the year

award of its career.

EOnline.comNOT THE SWEETEST THING: U2 postponing the final 10 dates of the sold-out Vertigo '06 tour due to the illness of one of the band member's close relatives. The concerts were slated to take place in Australia, New Zealand, Japan and Hawaii.

U2 Tour Dismantled by IllnessEOnline.comby Josh Grossberg Mar 9, 2006, 9:50 AM PTThis was not the kind of bomb U2 fans were looking for. The Irish rockers were forced to dismantle the final 10 dates of their Vertigo world tour due to a family illness, according to a statement released by promoters. "This action is unavoidable due to the illness of an immediately family member of one of the band," concert organizer Arthur Fogel said in the release, which was also posted on U2.com. "Any fan of U2 will realize that this decision has not been taken lightly. We will announce further details as soon as we have them." No further details were disclosed. However, some news reports have indicated that a daughter of one of the band members was ill. The cancellation affects stadium shows in Auckland, New Zealand Mar. 17 and 18; Brisbane Australia Mar. 21; Melbourne Mar. 24 and 25; Adelaide Mar. 28; Sydney Mar. 31 and Apr. 1; Yokohama, Japan Apr. 4; and Honolulu Apr. 8. It's expected those sold-out gigs will be made up as soon as Bono and the boys decide they're ready to return the road. U2's jaunt was to be their first jaunt Down Under since the group's Popmart extravaganza in early 1998. Back in January 2005, two months after the release of their most recent mega-selling album, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, family illness was cited as the reason for the rockers to push back the start of the North American leg of their Vertigo World Tour by a month. Dublin's Sunday World newspaper published a pixilated photo of the ailing person. The Edge, whose relative was apparently depicted, obtained a restraining order preventing the tabloid from printing any more stories on the matter, claiming invasion of privacy. U2 is coming off a successful swing through Latin America. In Jan., they thrilled sell-out crowds in Mexico, Brazil, Argentina and Chile, where, just before taking the stage, the Grammy-winning quartet was honored with an Amnesty International award for its human rights work and Bono received the country's top cultural accolade, the Neruda Prize.

Holy Moly!The best rumour I've heard in ages. There is a long-standing joke in the U2 camp that Bono is so paranoid about the aging process that he actually dyes his pubes.

U2 are going into the studio with Green Day to cover a punk song for charity.

The bands - two of the world's most popular rock groups - will record a version of The Skids' The Saints Are Coming, a minor hit from 1978.

Green Day's website said U2 asked them to appear on the song to raise money for The Edge's charity Music Rising.

The fund helps replace instruments lost in Hurricane Katrina. U2 have also started work on new material with producer Rick Rubin, their site said.

'Raise awareness'

Their next album will be the follow-up to How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, which won five Grammy Awards earlier this year - where Green Day picked up record of the year.

The bands would get together "in the coming weeks", Green Day said.

"New Orleans has always been a special city to us, being a hotbed of music and creativity, and it's hard to believe parts of the Gulf region still remain devastated," they said.

"We feel that it's important to continue to raise awareness."

bbc.co.uk

CHICAGO - The lead singer of the band U-2 brought his fight against AIDS and poverty to town. Bono and his wife, Ali Hewson, visited the downtown Nordstrom store Saturday to promote a designer T-shirt that will raise money to pay for AIDS medication and medical care in Africa.

The shirts are emblazoned with the logo of Bono's "One" campaign against poverty. They are made in Africa by Edun, a fair trade clothing label started by Bono and Hewson. The company will donate $10 for every $40 shirt sold to a fund supporting the health care of the factory workers who make the shirts.

The shirt factory is in a village in Lesotho in southern Africa.

Bono said he hopes to get 5 million people signed up for his anti-poverty campaign by the next presidential election.

yahoo news

Davina McCall, Michael Douglas, Angelina Jolie and Jordan have all felt the sharp end of his tongue. So they can sympathise with Bono - the latest victim of a vicious, verbal savaging from Graham Norton.

"People like Bono really annoy me," rants the 43-year-old chat show host of his fellow Irishman and U2 frontman.

"He goes to hell and back to avoid paying tax. He has a special accountant. He works out Irish tax loopholes. And then he's asking me to buy a well for an African village.

"Tarmac the road outside your house, you tight-wad! Or pay for a school in Ireland.

"I've never met Bono and now I probably never will. But if I do meet him I'll ask him because I think it's a hard thing to justify."

What has sparked this furious outburst is the news that Bono - worth an estimated £440million - and the rest of U2 have moved their business empire to Holland to avoid paying high Irish taxes on royalties.

"I pay a lot of tax," adds Graham, who is worth £25million and has homes in London, New York, South Africa and Ireland.

"By most people's standards I am rich so I should pay tax because I can afford it. When I didn't want to pay it was when I didn't have any money."

mirror.co.uk

BONO'S BEST

Page Six

September 19, 2006 -- AT least Bono gave Dina Lohan some love on her birthday. The other night at the Hudson Hotel, where the U2 frontman and his wife, Ali Hewson, celebrated the launch of Hewson-designed T-shirts to benefit the One antipoverty campaign, a buoyant Bono told the crowd: "Happy Birthday to Lindsay Lohan's mom, Dina, who is here!" Hopefully, it boosted Dina's dismal spirits after her public screaming match a night earlier with Lindsay during her birthday bash at Phillipe. The actress told her mom to "go to hell" during that spat, then skipped Bono's bash even though she is modeling his T-shirts in an ad campaign.

ALL SAINTS

U2's Bono and the Edge make it a Green Day as singer Billie Joe Armstrong (center) joins them at halftime Monday night during the New Orleans Saints-Atlanta Falcons game at the Superdome – the first home game since Hurricane Katrina.

Posted Image

I am so glad to see a U2 thread here as they are my all time favourite band. Thanks for all the articles on them. I am going to see them next month when they play Sydney finally. :)

U2 May Go 3-D in 2007

Directors have been stalking the band's Vertigo Tour

Get ready for "Rattle and Hum: Version 2.0."

Directors Catherine Owens and Mark Pellington have been filming U2's Vertigo Tour for a 3-D concert film set for release next year.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Owens and Pellington have shot more than 700 hours of footage from the Irish band's tour, concentrating on South American dates in February and March. The industry trade warns that 3-D cinematography Peter Anderson ("T2 3-D: Battle Across Time") has used Sony Cinealta 950 cameras to provide lots of swooping and kaleidoscopic imagery. Will barf bags be handed out the door?

The film is currently being edited and producers are looking for a major studio distributor.

U2's wide-release concert film "Rattle and Hum" made roughly $8.6 million in 1988.

Owens and Pellington are both well established with the band. Owens has worked the screen visuals on several tours, while Pellington cut his teeth on music videos including U2's "One." He's now best known for directing features including "Arlington Road" and "The Mothman Prophesies."

2 December 2006

THE WORLD'S BIGGEST BANDS

Eva Simpson & Caroline Hedley

THEY may be one of the world's biggest bands but Bono says he still hates the name U2.

"I didn't think about it for a long time and, when I did, I realised I didn't like the name," he reveals during tomorrow's T4, on C4 at 3pm.

2 December 2006

THE WORLD'S BIGGEST BANDS

Eva Simpson & Caroline Hedley

THEY may be one of the world's biggest bands but Bono says he still hates the name U2.

"I didn't think about it for a long time and, when I did, I realised I didn't like the name," he reveals during tomorrow's T4, on C4 at 3pm.

U2 tomorrow's T4 on C4? Did they plan that? ;)

From Yahoo

Bono to Receive Honorary Knighthood

Irish rocker and humanitarian Bono will become a knight of the British empire but the U2 frontman won't be called "Sir."

Britain confirmed Saturday Bono will receive his honorary knighthood from the British ambassador to Ireland, David Reddaway, in a Dublin ceremony shortly after New Year's Day.

The Dubliner, whose real name is Paul Hewson, won't be entitled to use the title "Sir" because he is not a national of Britain or the Commonwealth of former British colonies.

A spokesman said the 46-year-old singer was flattered by the honor and hoped it will help him open diplomatic doors in his campaign for more Western aid to Africa.

In a letter to Bono released Saturday, British Prime Minister Tony Blair said the singer's lobbying had forced wealthy nations to focus on increasing aid to Africa.

"I know from talking to you how much these causes matter to you," Blair wrote. "I know as well how knowledgeable you are about the problems we face and how determined you are to do all you can to help overcome them. You have tirelessly used your voice to speak up for Africa."

Blair said he hoped to keep working with Bono "to work together to maintain momentum on Africa, and ensure leaders around the world meet the promises they have made."

The British Embassy in Dublin said the Irish government approved granting Bono the title. The issue is diplomatically sensitive, because Irish officials are legally barred from receiving British royal honors and other Irish nationals have refused nominations on political grounds. Ireland withdrew from the Commonwealth in 1949.

Previous non-British nationals who received knighthoods include Bono's fellow Dubliner and rocker-turned-humanitarian Bob Geldof, Bill Gates, the Spanish opera singer Placido Domingo, Nazi hunter Simon Wiesenthal, former New York Mayor Rudolf Giuliani, and Steven Spielberg.

Thank you so much may2 for the link to the photo of Larry with his kids. I have never seen a photo of his children before. Soo cute! I wonder where Aaron was?

I am truely happy that Bono is going to receive an honoray knighthood. He truely deserves it for all his charity work.

Patty Jackson's 4-1-1

Rocker Bono is getting honored at this year’s NAACP Image Awards.

The front man for the Rock Band U2 will be receiving The Chairman’s Award for his humanitarian efforts involving AIDS in Africa.

The awards show is set for Friday, March 2nd on Fox.

Bill Cosby and CNN’s Soledad O’Brien are also being honored. Rapper/Actor LL Cool J will be hosting.

popbitch.com

>> Re-branding Bono <<

Charity doesn't always begin at home

Vanity Fair have invited "pop-humanitarian"

Bono to be guest editor of the July issue, to

try and "rebrand Africa". Some magazines

have been sharing some other facts about Bono:

* In the year since it was founded, his Red

campaign (licensed to Gap, Motorola, Apple etc)

has raised $18 million - but companies have

spent $100 million to market it.

* Bono doesn't invest his own money in Red.

* Apple sells a Special Edition U2 iPod. Its

profits are not donated to Red.

* U2 made $389m from the recent Vertigo tour.

Its revenue was then funnelled through

companies mostly registered in Ireland and

structured to minimize taxes.

* U2 moved its music publishing company to

the Netherlands from Ireland in June 2006, six

months before Ireland ended a tax exemption

on musicians' royalty income.

* Richard Murphy, adviser to lobbying group the

Tax Justice Network, says "This is somebody

who's exceptionally rich taking the opportunity

to shift his tax burden to somebody else, but

then asking governments around the world to