Sign in to follow this  
Cutielb99

James Cameron makes a Titanic decision to head back to the director's chair after a nine year hiatus. He returns to sci-fi with Avatar, the story of a wounded soldier sent to settle in a far away planet. Cameron has already selected Zoe Saldana and Aussie actor Sam Worthington for the female and male leads when the 3-D film gets rolling this April for a summer 2009 release.

Edited by Cutielb99

Saw this and LOVED it :jumping1:

Actually saw the 3D version by accident. We went to the movie and didn't realize the 7 pm showing was 3D. Or we could wait until 10 pm for the regular. They ticket guy talked us into seeing the 3D, haven't seen a 3D movie since they had the little paper eyeglasses with one lense green and one red and when you left you thought your ear was going to fall off from the crappy sunglasses. They've come a long way!

After seeing a trailer 3 weeks ago, I said that in no way was I going to see this movie. I'm not into Anime and I'm not into video games. Then I started reading some reviews last week and decided to give it a try. Add me to the :jumping1: list behind Princess because this was one FUN movie to see! Absolutely go to the 3-D version or don't bother! Dam you, James Cameron ~ You did it again. I would actually be okay with this movie getting the Oscar because it's that entertaining.

I am soooo not into the anime or video games thing either and only went because the trailors looked cool and BF wanted to go. Sooo glad I did, one of the best movies I've seen in a while. I'll watch it again when it comes out on DVD, not sure how much the 3D added to it, cool but not what makes the movie for me.

Funny, I wasn't planning on seeing this movie either but it was so crowded at the other shows, I decided to give it a try. I didn't even know it was in 3-D. It was the BEST

sc-fi film I've seen in a looooooooooooooooong time. I was skeptical but the production value is through the roof. :banana: :wacko: :alien_dance: :lol: It really does look like you're in another world and the 3-D really did add to the experience of the beauty and awe of the Avatar's experience. :jumping1: It was breathtaking.

:P Sure the story was basic with Good vs Evil, Boy meets Girl, Hawks vs Doves, Imperialists vs Indigenous Peoples, etc. BUT the film overall was outstanding and I couldn't help getting sucked in and being thrilled.

Go see this flick and be transported to another world.........................Merry Christmas!

'Avatar' keeps 'Sherlock Holmes' off the top of the U.S. box office

A strong Christmas Day at the U.S. box office didn't give "Sherlock Holmes" the push it needed to dethrone James Cameron's sci-fi love story "Avatar" over the weekend.

The humans vs. aliens movie, starring Sam Worthington and Zoe Saldana, scored a second week at the top of the chart with a stunning $75 million three-day take.

The weekend estimate gives the film a 10-day total of $212.3 million in America alone. The film made a worldwide splash last week when it scored a $232.2 million opening weekend.

After beating "Avatar" on Christmas Day, Guy Ritchie's "Sherlock Holmes" failed to keep up, but its $65.4 million opening was still $15 million more than experts predicted.

Family film "Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel" has come in third after another strong Christmas weekend showing - it raked in $50.2 million over the three days.

Christmas weekend served up the biggest U.S. filmgoing weekend in recent history.

Estimated total theatrical receipts of $278 million from Friday to Sunday in the U.S. and Canada weren't just the largest ever recorded, according to Box Office at Hollywood.com, but also the highest number of tickets ever sold in a three-day period.

The next four biggest box-office weekends were all dominated by one picture that grossed well over $100 million, according to the Los Angeles Times.

source: http://www.sfgate.com

Avatar and Avatar:The Last Airbender are NOT the same movie. James Cameron's Avatar should have it's own thread if it doesn't already. It's not based on Anime. It's Cameron's original story (that is very similar to Dances with Wolves and Ferngully, lol). Just putting it out there. Princess, can you fix this thread?

I saw it in 3D and it was visually amazing...but I'm sorry, it was Pocahontas in outer space and very predictable. All the chicks are going crazy for Sam Worthington(who is now the "it" man in Hollywood now)...but he's got the acting skills of a block of wood. Notice he bounces between Aussie and American GI accents. I did enjoy the Colonel...he was the best character. I guess I'm alone with this review, but I'll have live with it. :flag:

Still think Hurt Locker, Up In The Air, and 500 Days of Summer are tops...especially with the great scripts they were. I'm bracing myself for A Single Man with Colin Firth, I hear Tom Ford directed his ass off. :4biggrin: