Sign in to follow this  
sanlee

Helen Mirren

Helen, the burger Queen :D

Forest Whitaker was named best actor for his role as Ugandan dictator Idi Amin in the British-made film The Last King Of Scotland.

The 45-year- old, who beat Peter O'Toole, is the third black actor to win the trophy after Sidney Poitier and Denzel Washington.

Have people already begun to forget that Jamie Foxx won that Oscar for Ray? ;)

Helen, the burger Queen :D

Forest Whitaker was named best actor for his role as Ugandan dictator Idi Amin in the British-made film The Last King Of Scotland.

The 45-year- old, who beat Peter O'Toole, is the third black actor to win the trophy after Sidney Poitier and Denzel Washington.

Have people already begun to forget that Jamie Foxx won that Oscar for Ray? ;)

you mean they didn't make him give it back after Stealth? :D

Mirren Laughs Off Royal Invitation Rumors

Dame Helen Mirren has categorically dismissed reports she's been invited to visit Queen Elizabeth II at Buckingham Palace in the wake of her success in the movie The Queen. Oscar-winner Mirren was said to have been asked to lunch with the British monarch along with screenwriter Peter Morgan and director Stephen Frears, who also both received Academy Award nominations. But the actress insists the invitation was a media myth. She says, "No - not a true story. Not a true story. We will never (hear a response from the Palace), I don't think. And if we did, I wouldn't tell you anyway." In fact Mirren is relieved not to have received an invitation to visit the woman she portrayed, as she would be stuck for words. She adds, "I have thought about that. You know, what would I do? I don't think I could handle that. No. 'Thank you, Ma'am, for being who you are, and allowing me to be you.' I mean what do you say? Very, very difficult."

Helen Mirren relied on more than acting skills to perfect the queen’s posture: she got padding on her posterior. And so did Penelope Cruz in “Volver.” “I was talking to Helen and she said she had to have a false backside fitted to do ‘The Queen,’” Cruz said while discussing the fake bottom she wore because it was decided she needed more curves. “Americans are really surprised to hear that an actress would accept being seen with a big backside.”

HELEN'S FEAR OF PHONES

UK MIRROR

By Allison Martin

DAME Helen Mirren is so scared of phones she tries not to answer calls - and refuses to return them.

The movie star, who won an Oscar for her portrayal of Her Majesty in The Queen, said of her phobia: "I'm very frightened of the phone. It just makes me so nervous. I will always avoid picking it up if I can.

"The invention of the answering machine was amazing."

Helen, 61, also revealed to America's OK! magazine, that she has never had children because she has no maternal instinct.

She added: "It's just not something that interests me.

"An awful lot of women don't want children, but have them because there is such pressure to do so.

"They think there's something wrong with them if they don't want kids. It's not right."

Mirren Finds Sequel 'Treasure'

'National' follow-up is just glutted with Oscar winners

March 29, 2007

How do you follow up one of the most decorated performances in cinematic history? With a sequel to "National Treasure," of course.

Helen Mirren is set to go from "The Queen" to "National Treasure: Book of Secrets," in which she'll play the mother of the main character played by another Oscar winner, Nicolas Cage.

In addition to Mirren, the blockbuster sequel has also added Ed Harris, a mere multiple Oscar nominee.

According to the industry trade papers, the plot for the "National Treasure" sequel finds Cage's treasure hunting hero looking to clear the name of one of his ancestors, implicated well-after-the-fact in the assassination of Abraham Lincoln. Presumably there's an element of contemporary intrigue as well, since Harris will reportedly play the main antagonist.

Jon Voight, yet another Oscar winner, returns the father of Cage's character, along with first film co-stars Justin Bartha, Diane Kruger and Harvey Keitel.

Jon Turtletaub and Jerry Bruckheimer will also make return engagements as director and producer respectively.

In addition to winning an Oscar (and dozens of other awards) this year for her performance as Queen Elizabeth II, Mirren also won a recent Emmy for her work as the original Queen Elizabeth in HBO's "Elizabeth I." The "Caligula" and "Raising Helen" star has "Inkheart" on top.

(MSNBC.COM)

Notes from all over

Looks like “The Queen” star Helen Mirren developed a taste for royal living. The Oscar-winner has bought a castle. The 500-year-old estate in Tiggiani, Italy, reports Us, came with a dungeon and a moat but no electricity or running water and at $1.4 million is a bit of a fixer-upper, but the town mayor told the mag, “Helen has big plans for it.”

"Cagney & Lacey" DVD Launch Party

Filed under: Helen Mirren , Red Carpet , Television

Posted Image

I have a feeling this trio will make D-Listed's "Hot Sluts of the Day," and rightfully so. It was the DVD Launch Party of "Cagney & Lacey" that was the event that Tyne Daley, Sharon Gless and Helen Mirren were gathered on the red carpet to celebrate. Mirren credits the series with inspiring her hit series, "Prime Suspect."

"With the success of Cagney And Lacey, the networks and the studios understood that you could put a woman into the centre, be the protagonist in a drama and also a hard-edge gritty drama and it would be successful. Before Cagney And Lacey there was a great suspicion if that would ever fly with an audience, so they really blazed the path for the rest of us to follow."

For a woman purporting to be a pop-culture maven, I'm about to admit that I've never seen an episode of "Cagney & Lacey," but I know it involves some chicas packing heat and cuffing perps, which makes me think that I might need to pick up the recently-released DVD of the series.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

More photos from the 'Cagney & Lacey' DVD launch after the jump.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted by: Lisa Timmons

http://socialitelife.com/2007/05/02/cagney...aunch_party.php

From imdb.com today...

Mirren Turns Down Buckingham Palace Invite

Actress Helen Mirren has turned down an invitation to dinner at Buckingham Palace, citing a hectic filming schedule for her no-show. The Oscar-winning actress - who won the coveted gong for her portrayal of the British royal in 2006 movie The Queen - was quick to dismiss reports she has snubbed the British monarch, insisting she is "very sad" to turn down the dinner invitation, which clashes with filming for National Treasure: Book Of Secrets. She says, "The Palace very kindly extended an invitation to dinner last Tuesday, May 1. But, unfortunately I was filming in South Dakota and unable to change my schedule. I am very sad not to have been able to attend."

Helen Mirren has astonished the Queen and her closest advisers by turning down a personal invitation to dinner at Buckingham Palace.

The actress, who won an Oscar for her portrayal of the Monarch in the film The Queen, said she was 'too busy' to attend.

Her rejection of the offer is being seen by senior Palace officials as a snub.

Furious Royal aides say Dame Helen, 61, is unlikely to be offered an alternative date and indicated she will not be invited again.

Scroll down for more...

A senior Palace official said: "It is unheard of for Her Majesty to extend a personal invitation to dinner to someone who has portrayed her in a film. We did not expect to be told that the date is unacceptable.

More....

Her Majesty seen in new light for Leibovitz portrait

"The Queen has an extremely busy schedule. Her diary is mapped out a year in advance and for her to make time for a private dinner shows how much she wanted to meet Miss Mirren. It remains to be seen if another date can be fixed."

Another aide said: "It is rare for the Queen to ask an actress or actor to a private dinner. The gesture showed how much she appreciated the comments made by Miss Mirren in accepting the awards for the film.

"While there is an understanding about commitments, this was not a run-of-the-mill dinner invitation."

Dame Helen, who is filming in America, said: "The Palace very kindly extended an invitation to dinner last Tuesday, May 1.

"But, unfortunately, I was filming in South Dakota and unable to change my schedule. I am very sad not to have been able to attend."

The Queen's private secretary, Sir Robin Janvrin, contacted Dame Helen after she was named Best Actress at the Oscars in February.

Courtiers were pleased by her acceptance speech to a TV audience of more than one billion.

She praised the Queen for maintaining 'her dignity, her sense of duty and her hairstyle' for more than 50 years.

Dame Helen added: "She's had her feet planted firmly on the ground, her hat on her head, her handbag on her arm and she's weathered many, many storms.

"If it wasn't for her, I most certainly wouldn't be here. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Queen."

Dame Helen's portrayal of the Queen was seen by many senior Royal aides as sympathetic and accurate.

The invitation to Dame Helen and her film director husband Taylor Hackford was for the night before the Queen flew to America for the start of her current tour.

But the actress said she would be filming.

Her reply is thought to have included an apology for turning down the invitation.

Since mid-April, Dame Helen has been filming National Treasure: Book Of Secrets in the Black Hills of South Dakota with Nicolas Cage and Jon Voight.

She would have needed permission from the producers to leave the set because her absence could have held up filming.

But given the nature of the invitation, it is unlikely the producers would have stood in her way.

Dame Helen's spokesman insisted last night that her rejection of the Queen's invitation was not intended as a snub.

A Palace spokesman said: "We never comment on private matters concerning the Queen."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...3&in_a_source=

Helen Mirren Didn't Snub The Queen, But If She Did - Who Cares? Helen Mirren Is Rad And Busy.

Filed under: Helen Mirren

Posted Image

Helen Mirren is denying reports that she told the Queen of England she was too busy to chow down with her. As stated in the headline, who gives a shit? Helen's one of the finest actresses of our time and the Queen is some old slag in a pillbox hat. See how I worked the British slang in there? See how I denigrated the Queen? Never mind the bollocks, wanker!

'I AM mortified!" says Oscar winner Dame Helen Mirren about reports - in the New York Times and else where - stating that she was "too busy" to have dinner at the invitation of Queen Elizabeth II.

Helen tells me she tried desperately to rearrange the shooting schedule for the movie "National Treasure," but the company was in South Dakota filming on location. "I just could not shut all that down to take three days off to go to Buckingham Palace."

Helen, honey, no worries. You could do a commercial for Dentu-grip and we'd be spellbound. You're hot as hell and need not apologize to that old wench you made look good. Sorta. I should probably see the flick, huh?

Posted by: J. Harvey

http://socialitelife.com/2007/05/10/helen_...ad_and_busy.php

UNESCO Finally Brings Don Johnson and Helen Mirren Together

Filed under: Helen Mirren , Jermaine Jackson , Jessica Simpson , Marcus Schenkenberg , Red Carpet

Posted Image

In what had to be one of the most bizarre groupings of celebrities in a long time, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) Gala 2007 brought the likes of Jessica Simpson, Jermaine Jackson, Marcus Schenkenberg, Don Johnson and Helen Mirren all together in on room. While Jessica was hired to perform, it was unclear as to why everyone else was there.

More photos from the UNESCO event are after the jump.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted by: Jessica Marx

http://socialitelife.com/2007/05/14/unesco...en_together.php

'Queen' Helen and her blushes for Beckham

By LUCRECIA MUNRO

She is an Oscar-winning actress and as such the current toast of Britain's thespian community, despite her pensionable age.

He is a 32-year old footballer, with no known acting ability.

Yet, it was Dame Helen Mirren who was rendered almost speechless last night at the Greatest Briton Awards as she came face to face with David Beckham.

Dame Helen Mirren and David Beckham arrive at the awards ceremony

Wearing a glamorous silver evening gown, teamed with matching shawl and diamond-encrusted jewels Dame Helen said: "I am absolutely speechless. What can I say?

"He is the best of Britain in every way. He is a great icon for this country." And it appears Mr Beckham also shared this sentiment.

Amid screams from adoring fans, Beckham, dressed in a black suit, appeared unconcerned with the crowd as he hastily made his way through to the awards.

He ignored shouts begging him to stop and sign autographs.

Helen Mirren won the award for Greatest Briton in film

Like the Beckhams, whose move to LA is in just three weeks away, Dame Helen also shares a home in America with husband Taylor Hackford.

But, unlike Mr Beckham she was keen to point out that she was so "proud" and "in love" with Britain.

Her role as queens Elizabeth I and II on the small and big screen have earned her a string of coveted awards but it was the widely-circulated rumours of her snubbing of the actual queen - Elizabeth II - that played most on her mind.

She said: "No it is not true that I snubbed the Queen. She is an amazing hard-working woman as I am.

"If you are working there's absolutely nothing you can do, especially in the job I was doing in South Dakota. It's not as if I was in Manchester."

Other guests attending the Greatest Briton Awards held at the London Television Centre included Ugly Betty star Ashley Jensen, Sir Bob Geldof, singer Natasha Beddingfield, Prime Minister in waiting Gordon Brown, Kelly Osbourne and entrepreneur Duncan Bannatyne.

When I grow up I want to be Helen Mirren.

She just seems too cool for the room.

Helen Mirren Ain't Gonna Lie, Becks Gets Her Hot

Filed under: Awards , David Beckham , Helen Mirren , Red Carpet

Posted Image

The Greatest Britons Awards saw Helen Mirren sharing the red carpet with British footballer and recent L.A. transplant, David Beckham. And when the striking actress, who portrayed the Queen of England with such accurate reserved dignity and emotional restraint that she won an Oscar for her performance, spotted the metrosexual athlete, she was barely able to contain her excitement. According to Hello! magazine:

Sashaying up the red-carpet in one of the plunge-necked gowns that so favours her, the silver screen star stopped dead in her tracks as she set eyes on the football hero. She then offered David, 32, her hand with a delighted smile. And the chivalrous sportsman, who'd flown from Spain to be recognised as a global ambassador for Britain's image, seemed equally glad to run into the iconic actress.

Now that's some hotness right there. After her chance meeting with Becks, Mirren declared, "Well, that was the thrill of a lifetime." Watch out, Posh, cause I have a feeling these two have the capability to come out with a pretty decent sex-tape. Whoah. Did I say that out loud? I'm afraid, for you people, that I totally just did and that I'm not taking it back.

Posted by: Lisa Timmons

http://socialitelife.com/2007/05/22/helen_...ets_her_hot.php

I love your post titles. "Helen Mirren Ain't Gonna Lie..." cracked me up. Love. Her. To. Bits.

On the worshipping Helen front, an LAPD officer and neighbor worked security at the Oscars, as usual. His thrill o' the night was in an elevator with Dame Helen, pre-win. He couldn't resist telling her how fabulous she was, she was gracious and friendly in return. Then he couldn't resist telling her how beautiful she looked and how much he loved her dress. Dame Helen threw her hands up in the air, turned this way and that, smiled brilliantly and went on about how it was the greatest dress she'd ever had and it was so comfortable and thanked him, again the soul of graciousness and charm.

Needless to say, my neighbor has quit his job with the LAPD and is now pursuing Helen Mirren full-time. ;)

Edited by hedda_louella

I love your post titles. "Helen Mirren Ain't Gonna Lie..." cracked me up. Love. Her. To. Bits.

Lisa Timmons and J Harvey at A Socialite's Life write the critiques. I just post them here. I get a good laugh from them as well. :)

All Reuters News

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mirren to star in Gaza drama

Oscar-winner Helen Mirren is being lined up to star in a film set in the Gaza Strip, as a woman whose journalist daughter falls in love with a Palestinian and is killed, the company making the film said on Thursday.

The film, described by Left Bank Picture head Andy Harries as more human interest than political, is expected to be shot in Jordan because the fighting between rival factions in Gaza.

"It is a very early development and Helen's name is attached to it," a spokesman for the film company told Reuters. "But there is no contract and only a very early script."

"But it is safe to say that if it does go ahead -- and there is no reason to assume it won't -- then Helen will be involved."

The film is to be directed by Philip Martin and written by Frank Deasy, who worked with Mirren on the British television series "Prime Suspect," Israeli newspaper Haaretz said.

Mirren, 61, is best known for her Academy Award-winning turn as Britain's monarch in last year's "The Queen."

(Additional reporting by Dan Williams in Jerusalem)

(IMDB.COM)

Mirren Attacks Female Fashionistas for Size Zero Problem

Actress Dame Helen Mirren has launched a scathing attack on the fashion industry's size zero craze, putting the blame for the "horrifically thin" models on female fashion editors. The Academy Award winner, 62, had first hand experience of size discrimination when she took her niece, an aspiring model, to several booking agencies - only to be told she was overweight. And Mirren insists it is all down to senior fashion writers and editors. She says, "I blame my own sex vehemently on this. It is women who run the magazine and women who editorialize and women who make the decisions. I think it is completely iniquitous to have incredibly skinny girls on the runway. A lot of the girls are horrifically thin and of course they have a problem. Mostly, the fashion industry chooses to turn a blind eye."

(IMDB.COM)

Actress Dame Helen Mirren has launched a scathing attack on the fashion industry's size zero craze, putting the blame for the "horrifically thin" models on female fashion editors. The Academy Award winner, 62, had first hand experience of size discrimination when she took her niece, an aspiring model, to several booking agencies - only to be told she was overweight. And Mirren insists it is all down to senior fashion writers and editors. She says, "I blame my own sex vehemently on this. It is women who run the magazine and women who editorialize and women who make the decisions. I think it is completely iniquitous to have incredibly skinny girls on the runway. A lot of the girls are horrifically thin and of course they have a problem. Mostly, the fashion industry chooses to turn a blind eye."

I love Helen Mirren but I have to disagree with her on this. I think the REAL problem in the fashion industry or should I say those who are setting this punitive thin standard are the gay male fashion designers and gay male fashionistas whose ideal female form is that of a young boy. The female editors are just promulgating the industry standard set forth by these men who want their models to look more like boys (and less like women).

(IMDB.COM)

I love Helen Mirren but I have to disagree with her on this. I think the REAL problem in the fashion industry or should I say those who are setting this punitive thin standard are the gay male fashion designers and gay male fashionistas whose ideal female form is that of a young boy. The female editors are just promulgating the industry standard set forth by these men who want their models to look more like boys (and less like women).

I think there's plenty of blame to go around on this issue.

Hear, hear. All of us who buy the magazines and clothes that are advertised using too-thin models are to blame, too.

Hear, hear. All of us who buy the magazines and clothes that are advertised using too-thin models are to blame, too.

Respectfully.....I don't think that's fair. It's not my choice that they use unhealthy models. In fact, I really hate it! But not buying the magazine won't do anything about this problem. IMO. I buy magazines to read about fashion, trends, products. I don't see why I should be deprived of gathering this information just because some editor with a self esteem issue is throwing his/her weight around. (No pun intended).

Off the soapbox...

I hear what you're saying and while I very much agree with you in theory, I guess my point is that money talks. Advertisers and publishers keep VERY close tabs on what increases and decreases sales. If they see that scrawny models impact sales negatively, TRUST ME, they'll start using healthier women so fast our heads would spin. Each time we make a purchase, we're voting with our dollars.