golden*girl

Tim Gunn's Guide to Style

Of course, it probably takes me less time to make my dinner (I bring leftovers for lunch the next day) than it takes people to leave the office and wait in line to buy lunch......

Seriously. My lunch is usually either leftovers from dinner the night before or something I prepped quickly on Sunday afternoon after grocery shopping. I hate wasting time, money and calories on mediocre food when I can bring my own!

Do people really not have time to make dinner, or do a lot of them just not know how (or how to do it efficiently)? Do they really not have time to get dressed in something presentable, or do they need to be taught how to, like in this Tim Gunn show?

I think some people are lazy or just don't like cooking or shopping, and exploit somewhat valid excuses (like children, busy jobs, etc.) beyond all reason. Something has to be cut from the daily agenda, so they choose the things they don't like rather than cutting TV time, other recreation, etc. I know I find it really easy to postpone cleaning my home office and dealing with bills. With some people, some what seems like "laziness" could be a manifestation of chronic depression. Other people just flat out do not have taste (e.g. the woman who insisted on dressing like she was 21).

Do people really not have time to make dinner, or do a lot of them just not know how (or how to do it efficiently)?

You'd think that with the advent of the Food Channel, people would be cooking more. Apparently not.

Do they really not have time to get dressed in something presentable, or do they need to be taught how to, like in this Tim Gunn show?

When I know I need to get dressed early in the morning and look great for a meeting or something, I choose the outfit the night before and hang everything on the closet door. It's not rocket science, it's just planning ahead. I think it all boils down to much more personal issues - do we deserve this or that? Are we okay with being different from the norm? (Norm being dressing like everyone else, running out for a packaged salad with everyone else, being chronically stressed and overextended like most everyone else).

Because by the time Tim is done with these women's closets, there's not much in them. Having fewer, better pieces of clothing that one can depend on should make getting dressed go more quickly, shouldn't it?

Not necessarily. Clothing sends a message. You build that message on the pieces. If you have the same stuff to choose from, the nuances of a message can't be addressed. I know this all sounds silly, but I really believe it's true. Maybe the message is, "I don't give a f&ck" (about myself or what you think of me). But it can also say, "I'm too busy to think about personalizing my look" or "I'm strong and capable and I won't pull out any personal stuff during work."

But it goes beyond just clothing. How (or if) you take care of yourself also adds to the total impression. Is your hair clean and groomed? Do you take care of your skin? Are your nails grooomed? Do you add a little makeup (even lip gloss polishes a look) to finish the look?

Sorry - I get carried away sometimes. I work in appearance therapy and the whole subject of how others see us (and why) fascinates me.

Okay, I was with you all on the fashion, but I can't go there on the cooking. I hate cooking. LOL :lol: I don't have a lot of time, but if I really liked doing it, I'm sure I'd make the time. It's not like people who like to cook or shop for clothes all have just SOOOO much less to do in life than other people.

Really, I think with cooking, fashion, and other things, it just comes down to whether you are interested in it or not. I'm interested in fashion and not in cooking. Some others are interested in both or neither or other things.

I just find it irritating when other people make value statements about their effort of lack of effort in these areas, like they have so many more important things to do so couldn't be bothered, and therefore, there is necessarily something wrong with other people who like to spend time and money on it. (Or, conversely, like fashion or whatever is the most important thing to them and should be to everyone). Really, these things are hobbies. If someone is great at them or likes them, great. If someone isn't, who cares. Right? :)

And I agree with you, MC! :)

Edited by soho2chelsea

I just find it irritating when other people make value statements about their effort of lack of effort in these areas, like they have so many more important things to do so couldn't be bothered, and therefore, there is necessarily something wrong with other people who like to spend time and money on it. (Or, conversely, like fashion or whatever is the most important thing to them and should be to everyone). Really, these things are hobbies. If someone is great at them or likes them, great. If someone isn't, who cares. Right? :)

Right :) I really really try to not let the first physical impression dictate my behavior (except for the obvious dangerous signs). I have learned that there is something hard-wired in us that recognizes visual clues and makes judgments instantly. I don't use the word "judgements" in a negative way, by the way. But we do categorize and file impressions and we really don't have a lot of control over the first impression we receive. It's what you do with that information that matters.

Okay, now I need to get cleaned up and get out of here. :)

Oh, I agree, MC, you are totally right. I used to work in the courtroom, and really you would not believe the things jurors talk about. They ALWAYS notice clothes. I have even heard about them DELIBERATING over clothes.

First impressions shouldn't count but they do. I think you can make a good first impression dressing up, or dressing less fancy, as long as you look appropriate for whatever your situation is. I just like dressing up. Or at least I used to, before I got lazy. :) Like you said, I dress for ME. :)

I think what you're saying is something almost everyone would agree with (at least I definitely would, and I think most people I know!) and personally I think it is always better to be slightly overdressed than underdressed, but that is just me. :) Like you, I just don't get why so many more women seem to be judgmental of people who like to dress up these days.

That's why Tim Gunn is my hero. :)

Edited by soho2chelsea

But it can also say, "I'm too busy to think about personalizing my look" or "I'm strong and capable and I won't pull out any personal stuff during work."

I think this is the case with a lot of professional women, particularly ones working in traditionally male-dominated fields. One woman I know basically dresses most days like a poorly-dressed man - polo shirts and too-big khakis. I tend to think it's somewhat calculated - she wants to be judged on her merits, not on her appearance or her gender, so she dresses in the way many of the men working in her field dress. A lot of young professional women, particularly petite ones, are also concerned with looking older and thus having more credibility.

I remember preparing for trial on a very sensitive case as part of a trial team led by an extremely seasoned trial lawyer. A couple of days before the first day of trial, the lead lawyer held a meeting where he actually instructed us on what not to wear. No clothing that looked too expensive or flashy. Minimal jewelry for women. Conservative, plain suits, exposing minimal flesh. Nothing distracting - everything clean, pressed, mended.

I love this discussion. "Appearance therapy" sounds totally fascinating, MC.

Re. Bittermuch?'s mention of being instructed to wear nondistracting things in court, my husband took a nearly opposite tack as a high school teacher. He would always choose at least one unusual item, like a flashy or unusual tie, and subtly call attention to it while teaching. It was a way to hold the kids' attention. Now, what they did was make fun of it. He didn't care if they thought he was silly for wearing, say, a tie with Boston Terrier heads all over it, as long as he had their attention.

From an interview with Tim Gunn at http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/en...nways.html#more

Tim's makeover show is coming back, with some improvements:

MR: Moving on to “Tim Gunn’s Guide to Style,” what’s going on with that?

TG: “I don’t know if Bravo has announced that we are doing another season, but we are."

MR: What’s your feeling about the show, are you happy with it?

TG: “[Pause.] Well, my pause tells you something. Bravo showed a couple episodes to three test audiences after the whole thing had been filmed. Never underestimate or trivialize how an audience feels about a show. Their critique of it was so superb and so right on that I was elated.

“They want more education in the show. They want to learn more. They want to get rid of the underwear drawer and so do I. Thank God for [co-host] Veronica [Webb] because I could never have done that. They like the underwear lesson but they don’t like the humiliating aspect of it. Going forward we’re going to have much more in the way of education and learning and I’m thrilled about that, because that’s what I do.”

MR: I liked the parts where you visited designers. But if you could ban the word “lifestylist”…

TG: “You’re absolutely right.”

MR: When will you film the new season?

TG: “Around ‘Runway,’ before and after [the filming of Season 5]. Which almost killed me last year but we’re going to do it again.”

P.S. You can buy a Tim Gunn bobblehead here: https://shop.emmettmccarthy.com/tim-gunn-bobblehead

Edited by golden*girl

From an interview with Tim Gunn at http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/en...nways.html#more

Tim's makeover show is coming back, with some improvements:

MR: Moving on to “Tim Gunn’s Guide to Style,” what’s going on with that?

TG: “I don’t know if Bravo has announced that we are doing another season, but we are."

MR: What’s your feeling about the show, are you happy with it?

TG: “[Pause.] Well, my pause tells you something. Bravo showed a couple episodes to three test audiences after the whole thing had been filmed. Never underestimate or trivialize how an audience feels about a show. Their critique of it was so superb and so right on that I was elated.

“They want more education in the show. They want to learn more. They want to get rid of the underwear drawer and so do I. Thank God for [co-host] Veronica [Webb] because I could never have done that. They like the underwear lesson but they don’t like the humiliating aspect of it. Going forward we’re going to have much more in the way of education and learning and I’m thrilled about that, because that’s what I do.”

MR: I liked the parts where you visited designers. But if you could ban the word “lifestylist”…

TG: “You’re absolutely right.”

MR: When will you film the new season?

TG: “Around ‘Runway,’ before and after [the filming of Season 5]. Which almost killed me last year but we’re going to do it again.”

P.S. You can buy a Tim Gunn bobblehead here: https://shop.emmettmccarthy.com/tim-gunn-bobblehead

I adore this guy. I didn't see the first season of his show but definitely plan to watch it this time around.

I adore this guy. I didn't see the first season of his show but definitely plan to watch it this time around.

Seriously, Tim Gunn should rule the world. Fuck Obama AND Hillary - Gunn '08!

March 31, 2010

gossiplist.com

Celebrities are releasing books in droves it seems.

Project Runway star Tim Gunn signed his new book, ‘Models Inc’, at a Tribeca bookstore yesterday.

Posted Image

Tim Gunn Slams the Kardashian Family for Their 'Distasteful' Style, Calls Kanye West's Fashion Line 'Dumb'

11/06/2015 AT 01:19 PM ET
people.com
blank.pngblank.pngblank.png
blank.png

Just when you thought Kanye West and the Kardashian Krew officially “made it” in the high-fashion world (his Yeezy Season 1 collection sold-out, he’s being honored the Shoe of the Year award and the Kardashian-Jenners have befriended every couture designer in the industry), one fashion insider still isn’t buying the (insanely expensive) pieces they’re selling. In a new interview for the Huffington Post, Project Runway‘s Tim Gunn called the family, “vulgar” and “distasteful” — and that’s just the beginning of how he feels.

tim-gunn-600x450.jpg

J. COUNTESS/GETTY; DOMINIQUE CHARRIAU/WIREIMAGE

“I think they’re a bunch of dumb clothes,” Gunn says about West’s fashion line. “Just basic pieces.”

If you haven’t been “Keeping Up” with the Kanye/Kardashian fashion news, allow us to recap. West recently referred to himself as Michelangelo, called people who don’t like his shoes racists and proclaimed that ‘sweatshirts are f—ing important!‘ But all of that means nothing to Gunn. He doesn’t seem to understand “why” the family is in the fashion business. “When it comes to fashion I say to people all the time, if you want guidance for your fashion just consider this, if a Kardashian is wearing it — don’t.”

He goes on to say, “I think it’s vulgar and I just think given the amount of public exposure that the Kardashians have, to potentially be sending a message to people that ‘you too can dress like this’ — no.”

And if you thought he excluded the Jenner-half of the Kardashian dynasty, don’t worry, he thinks “absolutely nothing” of Kendall Jenner (who’s been walking in every major designer runway show this year year). When asked if he thinks she has that model “it” factor, he says, “I shouldn’t say that she doesn’t, I don’t know her, she may be a perfectly lovely young woman, I just feel that she’s tainted by the Kardashian aura of ‘yuck.'”

But overall, Gunn’s not too worried about his harsh remarks, “Let me tell you, the whole Kardashian clan doesn’t like me, so no surprise there.”

:kung-fu-panda:

• Like 1