leaivory

Old Hollywood

yep - pantsuit and all - my God Jane Russell! She still has the hottness, you know?! My Dad is up in Heaven going, "G@#DAYUM!"

Edited by kathyk

New postage stamp honoring Frank Sinatra to go on sale

Posted Image

A new stamp honoring Frank Sinatra goes on sale next week.

First-day-of-sale ceremonies for the 42-cent stamp will be held Tuesday at three locations familiar to the famed singer and actor. The price of a first-class stamp goes up a penny to 42 cents on Monday.

The first ceremony for the performer often known as the "Chairman of the Board" will be hosted by the post office's own chairman of the board of governors, Alan Kessler.

"Frank Sinatra was our nation's first modern entertainment superstar," Kessler said in a statement. "He had looks and charm, talent and skill, creativity, tenacity and style."

Joining Kessler at the 10 a.m. EDT ceremony at Gotham Hall in New York will be Sinatra's daughter Nancy and son, Frank Sinatra Jr., as well as Rep. Jose E. Serrano, D-N.Y. Serrano has said he learned English by listening to Sinatra records.

Two other ceremonies will be held at 3 p.m. EDT. In Las Vegas, Tina Sinatra, another daughter, will join Postal Service governor James Bilbray in dedicating the stamp at the Bellagio fountain's main alcove on Las Vegas Boulevard.

And Frank Sinatra Jr. will join Rep. Albio Sires, D-N.J., in a ceremony in Hoboken, N.J., Sinatra's hometown. The event will take place at Pier A Park at 1st Street and Frank Sinatra Drive.

___

Copyright © 2008 The Associated Press.

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2008/05/..._hollywood.html

Frontal assault on Hollywood

Friday, May 16th 2008, 4:00 AM

There are many ways to measure talent in Hollywood. But for the authors of "Hollywood Babylon: It's Back," size is everything.

Borrowing the title of filmmaker Kenneth Anger's classic scandal bible, authors Danforth Prince and Darwin Porter have dared to publish the pictures and stories too explicit and actionable for even the pulpiest supermarket tabloids.

Among those featured in full-frontal shots are Mick Jagger, Daniel Radcliffe, Ewan McGregor, John Malkovich, James Woods, Richard Gere and Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger. We leave it to you to decide whether all the snaps are authentic.

The authors also write about the reputed size of many other stars in the book, due June 1. Johnny Depp was known as "donkey d-", they say. Sean Connery posed nude for art studies, and one student said:"It was the biggest I've ever seen. It made me drop my charcoal pencil."

Dishing with abandon, the authors spare no one - especially not the dead, who can't sue. Lack of sources don't stop them from claiming:

Marilyn Monroe had an affair with Ronald Reagan. The authors also claim Monroe had a tryst with Joan Crawford but refused to make it an ongoing affair. "She had bad breath," Monroe allegedly told roommate Shelly Winters. "Besides, she wanted to do things to me that no woman should do to another woman."

James Dean showed a disconcerting interest in a 12-year-old boy in the early 1950s. Director Elia Kazan believed the tale: "I've known many actors who have been twisted up in their sex lives, but never anybody as sick and unhealthy as Dean was."

Elvis Presley had a gay old time with Nick Adams, who played Johnny Yuma in the hit TV series "The Rebel."

Lucille Ball launched herself into show business as a hooker, and her husband Desi Arnaz had a fling with Cesar Romero.

Cary Grant had an incestuous relationship with his stepson, Lance Reventlow.

Sir Winston Churchill got "musical" with actor and songwriter Ivor Novello.

Strange things happened to Judy Garland's body (this in the chapter on "Fan Worship and Necrophilia").

Police believed Bette Davis killed her second husband, Arthur Farnsworth, by hitting him on the head and causing a hemorrhage that lead to his death two weeks later. But a grand jury - six men who confessed to being ardent fans - found her innocent.

Anybody who likes tales of Old Hollywood might enjoy the "SusieLee" threads (there are several) on Datalounge. :)

SusieLee is a 70 year old who grew up in the business (her parents were actors) and herself worked as a jobbing actress and assistant on film sets. She is an absolute doll and her graciousness has set the tone for the threads, which are very good-humoured. For Datalounge. :)

I hate to say this but, Sophia Loren looked scary up-close at the awards last night...damn - I always thought she was hot but something isn't right with her face, her body still won't quit though, banging.

She has very strong, prominent facial features. I thought she actually looked great for a 75 yr old woman. Heavy makeup but I wasn't surprised at that but did you see her neck? How many women her age have a neck like that--she certainly doesn't look old and dowdy. Maybe dated but I checked getty images for pics of her and I was impressed overall.

MC, what kind of cosmetic surgery do you think she's had?

Edited by Hihomumio

She has very strong, prominent facial features. I thought she actually looked great for a 75 yr old woman. Heavy makeup but I wasn't surprised at that but did you see her neck? How many women her age have a neck like that--she certainly doesn't look old and dowdy. Maybe dated but I checked getty images for pics of her and I was impressed overall.

Can you tell me where I can find a pic? I'm at work right now so I can't surf around...

Can you tell me where I can find a pic? I'm at work right now so I can't surf around...

Posted Image

I think part of the problem is the mascara abuse/fake eyelashes. And the shape of her eyebrow. If the eye area were slightly more natural maybe she wouldn't look so odd.....

But her body? Oh yeah, she's still got it!!!

Edited by Hoyaheel

Thanks for the picture.

First of all, her teeth are too thick. It's obvious that her veneers weren't done very well. Some doctors do this so that the teeth plump out the lips. This person went too far.

Secondly, she's quite thin. Check out her arms. She's lost a lot of weight, but it's hard to tell because of her breasts.

Next, either she had a brow lift, or she shaved her natural brows (which sit on the brow bone usually) and painted them in. I suspect a brow lift, but maybe a long time ago. She still does paint (or tattoo?) her eyebrows and they don't look natural.

But she has a lot of volume loss in her face because of age and weight loss. She could benefit from an upper eyelid tuck - there's a lot of extra skin there. The eyelashes don't help at all. If she had worn dark eyeshadow, it would have helped. I wonder if she has a makeup artist or if she did it herself.

OMG! I thought I'd seen her recently in a commercial looking much better than that.

Are you sure you're not thinking of Raquel Welch in the Lenscrafters commercial? Now she looks amazing.

OMG! I thought I'd seen her recently in a commercial looking much better than that.

Are you sure you're not thinking of Raquel Welch in the Lenscrafters commercial? Now she looks amazing.

I always thought Sophia and Raquel were hotties!

Might have been RW, not sure; but I am sure it was sunglasses, I think Foster Grant.

Might have been RW, not sure; but I am sure it was sunglasses, I think Foster Grant.

Oops, well I knew it was some sort of eyewear!

Stars' Tears At The End Of 'Nine'

Sophia Loren, Nicole Kidman, Penelope Cruz And Dame Judi Dench broke down in tears when they finished shooting movie musical "Nine" - because they had become such good friends on-set.

The actresses enjoyed wining and dining together throughout filming and they couldn't bear to be parted when the shoot wrapped.

Screen veteran Loren says, "It was like being a family. We were so happy. Everyone thought that all these actresses together would start a fire or something, but we got on so well.

"Nicole Kidman had her baby with her all the time and seemed so contented when her husband (Keith Urban) came on the set; Judi Dench was so funny in that way only the English can be, and Penelope Cruz was very Spanish. We all sang and we all danced and we were drunk with music on the set. We cried when we parted, which is something that generally doesn't happen on films."

Source: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/dailyd...9#ixzz0WQXAJQA2

Lauren Bacall, Roger Corman to get early Oscars

The Academy Awards won't be presented until March, but the first Oscar statuettes of the season are set to be handed out Saturday night at a private, black-tie dinner in Hollywood.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is breaking with tradition and presenting its honorary Oscars away from the televised ceremony. Actress Lauren Bacall, producer-director Roger Corman and cinematographer Gordon Willis will each receive Oscar statuettes at the inaugural Governors Awards event.

The winner of this year's Irving J. Thalberg Memorial Award, producer John Calley, will also receive his trophy at the star-studded dinner. Each of the four recipients were chosen by the academy's Board of Governors.

Annette Bening, Tom Hanks, Kirk Douglas, Anjelica Huston and Quentin Tarantino have signed on as presenters for the evening, which will include 600 invited guests celebrating at the Grand Ballroom above the Kodak Theatre.

Academy president Tom Sherak said the Governors Awards event "will be full of memorable moments celebrating (the honorees') accomplishments."

Bacall made her screen debut with Humphrey Bogart in "To Have and Have Not" in 1944. She went on to star in more than 30 films, including classics such as "The Big Sleep" and "Key Largo."

Corman has directed more than 50 films and produced more than 300 during his five-decade career, including "It Conquered the World" and 1960's "The Little Shop of Horrors."

Willis is a two-time Academy Award nominee for "Zelig" and "The Godfather, Part III."

Calley's producing credits include "Postcards from the Edge,""The Remains of the Day," for which he earned a Best Picture Oscar nomination, "Closer" and "The Da Vinci Code."

Other guests expected Saturday include Jeff Bridges, James Cameron, Dennis Hopper, Ron Howard and Julie Taymor.

The event will be taped but not televised, and excerpts will be shown during the 82nd annual Academy Awards on March 7.

___

On the Net:

www.oscars.org

source: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...L#ixzz0WtHFoiFq

Eastwood made French Legion of Honor commander

American screen icon Clint Eastwood was made a commander in France's prestigious Legion of Honor on Friday.

French President Nicolas Sarkozy presented the 79-year-old actor and director with the decoration, honoring his body of work, his longevity and his ability to delight audiences around the globe, according to the award citation.

Former French President Jacques Chirac had honored Eastwood as a knight of the Legion of Honor two years ago, and Friday's decoration was a step up for Eastwood to grade three on the legion's five-grade scale.

Speaking in English, Eastwood thanked Sarkozy and the French people.

"This is a wonderful honor," Eastwood said. "It is just a great pleasure for me. I really love France. I love movies, and I love the appreciation that the French people have for movies."

Eastwood promised to be fluent in French the next time he returned to the country.

Sarkozy bantered with Eastwood and asked the American how he managed to stay so fit. Sarkozy, 54, was hospitalized earlier this year after collapsing while jogging.

"You have to admit that there is a side about you that is a little annoying," Sarkozy said. "Physically, how do you do it?"

Napoleon Bonaparte created the legion in 1802. It recognizes military, cultural, scientific or social contributions to France, including by people who are not French citizens.

source: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...L#ixzz0WtLm4yG0

Mature Father Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood is pleased he waited until he was older to have children - because he was too driven by his hormones when he was younger.

The now 79-year-old actor was in his mid-30s when he started his family and believes it was the perfect moment because his lifestyle had calmed down.

The 'Gran Torino' star - who most recently became a father, to 12-year-old daughter Morgan, at the age of 66 - told the American edition of GQ magazine: "I'm a loyal citizen to the family. And that wasn't necessarily a given thing. That was acquired. I think when you're younger, you're driven by a lot of hormonal effects. It's like Everest, 'Because it's there.' There's a lot of people who learn a lot faster than me, that's for sure."

Eastwood - who has six children with four different women - is one of Hollywood's most revered actors and directors and as he approaches his 80s the actor is proud of his legacy and life.

Speaking about his own mortality, the five-time Oscar winner added: "I'm not one of these guys who wants to check out early. But when you check out, it's when you're supposed to check out. I take care of myself. I like working. That's when I'm feeling my best."

Source monstersandcritics.com

Dennis Hopper at Death’s Door?

DENNIS Hopper is at death’s door after his cancer spread to his bones, according to a shocking new report.

The Easy Rider, Apocalypse Now, Blue Velvet and Hoosiers star — who was diagnosed with prostate cancer in September 2009 — is reportedly telling pals he’s ready to die now that he’s completed his final wish by finishing filming on his TV series Crash.

“Dennis has come to grips with the fact that the end is likely near,” a source told American tabloid the National Enquirer.

“He knew going into the last weeks of filming Crash that he was on borrowed time. His doctors had told him they were no longer able to contain the disease, and his condition had severely worsened.

“Dennis missed three days on the set due to dehydration, but then he came back, got back on his mark and faced the camera. Really, it was some of the best acting he’s ever done.”

Dennis has also managed to finish editing a 546-page book of photographs taken by him, said another source.

“Dennis calls the book his legacy, and he’s glad to see it completed,” confided the insider.

“He knows the end is near, but he’s still the consummate professional that he’s always been. Dennis has gotten his affairs in order and said his goodbyes.”

Source showbizspy.com