Photo

What are you reading?

910 replies to this topic

#901 Hoyaheel

Hoyaheel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11599 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 08:56 AM

Any new hot reads? Going on vacation Friday and am loading up my Kindle!

Update on last post - finished the Philippa Gregory books, pretty good (Parr book I liked better than Pole).  I did not like Killing Monica, sort of liked Primates of Park Avenue (the ending was crap and the blend of "science" and memoir made it seem too pseudo-sciencey - would have been much better as a straight comic memoir)

I'm finishing up Notes from a Small Island (Bill Bryson, memoir/essays) Have a couple of mysteries & romances loaded.....

#902 dixiedoodah

dixiedoodah

ChitChat FANatic!

• ChitChat Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1090 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 10:20 AM

I've been reading the Neopolitan novels by Elana Ferrante. Although it's four books, it's really one very long story.

#903 Hoyaheel

Hoyaheel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11599 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 10:42 AM

I've been reading the Neopolitan novels by Elana Ferrante. Although it's four books, it's really one very long story.

Ooh, my library has them in ebooks!

#904 dixiedoodah

dixiedoodah

ChitChat FANatic!

• ChitChat Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1090 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 01:53 PM

The first book is the slowest so far, and I'm glad they are broken up because I need a break in between each one. Plus, the identity of the author is like a blind item, so right up our alley!

Edited by dixiedoodah, 30 December 2015 - 01:54 PM.

#905 Hoyaheel

Hoyaheel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11599 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 06:29 AM

Mindy Kaling on the Today Show this morning talking about her favorite books because everyone should read more in 2016. Great ideas. This book just went on my Amazon Wish List ;-)

http://www.amazon.co... chef's fridges

(her picks were great - I've read half and the other half are mostly on my list already ;-)

#906 Hoyaheel

Hoyaheel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11599 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 06:58 AM

Reading The Residence about the White House behind the scenes with the full-time staff. Nancy Reagan does NOT come off well. Nor Lyndon Johnson. I'm about half through - it's fascinating. Might actually have to see The Butler ;-)

#907 Hoyaheel

Hoyaheel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11599 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 04:52 AM

Is freelancergirl still around?? I just picked up her new book - "in twenty years" - good so far! Realized I've missed a few of her books so I'll have to see what I can pick up for my kindle before my next trip :-)

#908 Hoyaheel

Hoyaheel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11599 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:33 AM

Picked up a great book at the library last week and am almost finished - The Gilded Years by Karin Tanabe. It's fiction but based on a true story of the first African American woman to graduate from Vassar by passing as white (back in 1897 - hence the title - smack dab in the middle of the Gilded Years) The plot is somewhat predictable (pretty sure I know what will happen despite having 80 pages to go ;-) but it's well written and evocative. I would recommend!

#909 princess

princess

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41188 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 05:05 PM

Looking for any historical fiction recommendations that take place in Austria, Germany and/or Hungary area.  Anyone have any suggestions??

#910 Hoyaheel

Hoyaheel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11599 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 06:28 AM

Ooh - do you like forensics at all? I've read most (current is loaded on my kindle for travel next week) Oliver Potzsch - I think originally written in German. First is The Hangman's Daughter. Great series, medieval Germany + mysteries & solving crime, which I love.

http://www.oliver-po...hp/english-site

Did you read The Historian? That's Dracul, but close. I adored it but my mother hated, so....

I've read some about Marie-Therese - I'll have to go look and see what is on the edge of my brain....

I just finished The Fortune Hunter by Daisy Goodwin (she created/wrote Victoria that's on Masterpiece now) and it was half about Empress Sisi of the Austro-Hungarian empire, but it's more English 19thC history....

Edited by Hoyaheel, 21 February 2017 - 06:28 AM.

#911 princess

princess

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41188 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:12 AM

Thanks!

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users