Sign in to follow this  
princess

Celebs & Their Weight Issues

people.com

Half Their Size: Celeb Edition!

Posted Image

KIRSTIE ALLEY

Gone is the body-hiding "Amish" look, as Kirstie Alley called it, that she wore at 219 lbs (left, in 2004). Today, at 164, Alley is declaring, as she recently did on Oprah, "I think I look so hot!" How she did it: limiting herself to up to 1,500 daily calories of Jenny Craig food, plus fresh fruit and vegetables, and enlisting choreographers Rich & Fly to create cardio routines.

Posted Image

BEN AFFLECK

Violet's dad owes his shape to hours at the gym. Says his trainer of four years, Gunnar Peterson: "Ben's been coming in five to six days a week for 60 to 90 minutes." They vary his workout, but it often involves an elliptical machine. Now, says Peterson, "he's stronger, sinewy and lean." Good thing, as Affleck's next film casts him as George Reeves, TV's Superman.

Posted Image

STAR JONES

She won't divulge exactly how she lost the weight. But on her Web site Jones (left, in 2002; right, in November) says, "I sought the advice of doctors, reviewed different options and designed a long-term health plan. ... I eat healthier, drink lots of water and exercise regularly."

Posted Image

PETER JACKSON

Was it the excitement or his extra weight that left the Lord of the Rings director panting when he won 2004's Best Picture Oscar? On his King Kong shoot, Jackson skipped the catering truck for yogurt, muesli or soup, and in time off, used a home gym. The result? A more than 70-lb. loss.

Posted Image

SARA RUE

"She did it on her own – no trainer," a pal says of the Less Than Perfect star (left, in 2004; right, in December), who lost about 30 lbs. One trick? Working out to foreign-language tapes, Rue told Extra.

Posted Image

JACK OSBOURNE

"I'm so fed up of being overweight," Ozzy's son told trainer Mike Weeks in March. Six months later and 47 lbs. lighter, he would be fit enough to climb El Capitan, a 3,000-ft. granite wall in Yosemite. How he did it: kickboxing and giving up Oreos and Pop-Tarts for vegetables and fish. Says mum Sharon Osbourne: "Miracles do happen."

Posted Image

TERRY O'QUINN

When he moved from Baltimore to Hawaii to shoot ABC's Lost, O'Quinn (left, in 2004; right in September) dropped 20 lbs. "You do a lot more walking and swimming in Hawaii, and you eat more fruit," says O'Quinn, who also takes long bike rides with wife Lori. Plus, it keeps him in character as hunter-philosopher John Locke: "We're supposed to be on an island and slimming down."

Posted Image

MARTHA STEWART

After losing more than 10 lbs. in prison, Stewart (left, in 2004; right, in November) has kept her shape with morning yoga and hikes in the woods near her Bedford, N.Y., home, says friend (and Being Martha author) Lloyd Allen. She also weight trains and does up to 250 crunches at a time. "Being healthy is at the top of her list," says Allen.

That is interesting (and unusual!) Kirstie is looking great.I wish they would do more articles on overly skinny celebs. It really bugs me when the Star magazine or something will post a photo of some normal sized female celeb and talk about how "fat" she is getting. :P

Guest ObjectiveEye

people.com

Half Their Size: Celeb Edition!

Posted Image

KIRSTIE ALLEY

Gone is the body-hiding "Amish" look, as Kirstie Alley called it, that she wore at 219 lbs (left, in 2004). Today, at 164, Alley is declaring, as she recently did on Oprah, "I think I look so hot!" How she did it: limiting herself to up to 1,500 daily calories of Jenny Craig food, plus fresh fruit and vegetables, and enlisting choreographers Rich & Fly to create cardio routines.

Posted Image

BEN AFFLECK

Violet's dad owes his shape to hours at the gym. Says his trainer of four years, Gunnar Peterson: "Ben's been coming in five to six days a week for 60 to 90 minutes." They vary his workout, but it often involves an elliptical machine. Now, says Peterson, "he's stronger, sinewy and lean." Good thing, as Affleck's next film casts him as George Reeves, TV's Superman.

Posted Image

STAR JONES

She won't divulge exactly how she lost the weight. But on her Web site Jones (left, in 2002; right, in November) says, "I sought the advice of doctors, reviewed different options and designed a long-term health plan. ... I eat healthier, drink lots of water and exercise regularly."

Posted Image

PETER JACKSON

Was it the excitement or his extra weight that left the Lord of the Rings director panting when he won 2004's Best Picture Oscar? On his King Kong shoot, Jackson skipped the catering truck for yogurt, muesli or soup, and in time off, used a home gym. The result? A more than 70-lb. loss.

Posted Image

SARA RUE

"She did it on her own – no trainer," a pal says of the Less Than Perfect star (left, in 2004; right, in December), who lost about 30 lbs. One trick? Working out to foreign-language tapes, Rue told Extra.

Posted Image

JACK OSBOURNE

"I'm so fed up of being overweight," Ozzy's son told trainer Mike Weeks in March. Six months later and 47 lbs. lighter, he would be fit enough to climb El Capitan, a 3,000-ft. granite wall in Yosemite. How he did it: kickboxing and giving up Oreos and Pop-Tarts for vegetables and fish. Says mum Sharon Osbourne: "Miracles do happen."

Posted Image

TERRY O'QUINN

When he moved from Baltimore to Hawaii to shoot ABC's Lost, O'Quinn (left, in 2004; right in September) dropped 20 lbs. "You do a lot more walking and swimming in Hawaii, and you eat more fruit," says O'Quinn, who also takes long bike rides with wife Lori. Plus, it keeps him in character as hunter-philosopher John Locke: "We're supposed to be on an island and slimming down."

Posted Image

MARTHA STEWART

After losing more than 10 lbs. in prison, Stewart (left, in 2004; right, in November) has kept her shape with morning yoga and hikes in the woods near her Bedford, N.Y., home, says friend (and Being Martha author) Lloyd Allen. She also weight trains and does up to 250 crunches at a time. "Being healthy is at the top of her list," says Allen.

Princess, excellent Topic and great Pics you have posted, there!

Frankly, People OBSCESS to much about weight in this culture ... Women take such a beating over being what others think is too fat, don't they?

It is all too easy to put on weight.

I have always gravitated toward the J-Lo idea of weight, and figure-type -- 5'5" and 120-130lbs. is perfect!

Any smaller than size 6-8. and one is venturing into veddy, veddy dangerous territory, IMHO!

While I fee that FAT, on BOTh men & women is most UN-attractive, I am also strongly of the mind that skeletal thiness (Earth to Nicole, Paris, Lindsay, Renee, Teri Hatcher, etc.!!!!) is also just as UN-appealing ...

OK, now have at me :wacko:

Ummmm.... you think anything smaller than a size 6-8 is dangerous? That's just crazy. There are a lot of size 0-2's that are naturally that way, plus there are many people who just don't eat a lot. The reality is that people with low body fat %'s (within reason) live longer and are healthier.

Guest ObjectiveEye

Ummmm.... you think anything smaller than a size 6-8 is dangerous? That's just crazy.  There are a lot of size 0-2's that are naturally that way, plus there are many people who just don't eat a lot.  The reality is that people with low body fat %'s (within reason) live longer  and are healthier.

Mmmm, having worked with anorexics, and others unduly obscessed with dieting and/or not eating at all, I can only speak from my own experience ...

And, my own experience has repeatedly told me that folks who strive to fit into sizes smaller than average, are frequently veering into somewhat dangerous territory --

First, the goal is to fit into a size 4, then they want to get into a size 2, then a size 0, then ... well, what's smaller than a zero?

Also, I guess my point I really wanted to make is that in Hollywood, celebrities DO tend to want to "photograph thin" and usually that means (because the cameras ADD 20 pounds!) looking positively skeletal in real life, which is rather visually disarming ...

I look at J-Lo as a great figural role model --

She's a good, robust 120 lbs. and photgraphs "curvy", as does Beyonce Knowles, which I feel (IMHO!) should be what women should aim for ...

Drew Barrrymore's a nice size 8 and look how grrrreat she looks!

Yes, I might have over-stated my point a little bit in highlighting the idea that anything smaller than a 6-8 is dangerous, but ... I see so much obscession with being "stick thin" that my aversion to it, and my desire to push away from it, is somewhat passionate, that's all ....

it's such a tricky issue in general...while anorexia is an awful, awful thing, and i do believe many young women are repeatedly brainwashed by being force-fed falsity from the media, it is also important to remember that obesity is at an all-time high in the us. i think both of these being such big issues right now speaks to a linkage-- a linkage that exists because of the mass consumption culture of which we're now a part. either consume too much or too little, but either way-- food is now a choice as opposed to necessary for survival. scary, isn't it, that the us in particular (and, increasingly, western european nations) focuses so extremely on weight & volitional food issues when more and more people around the world are starving...

Being a former pro ballet dancer, I know that thin not always equals sick. What those people usually don't have though is a healthy muscle tone. They may be stick-thin but still have flabby upper arms because they lost their weight without a regular workout but with the help of diet & drugs, and I'm convinced many of the personal trainers in Hollywood didn't have a sound education before starting out or people would look differently. Many of those nutrionists out there get on my nerves too because a healthy body needs a well-balanced menu of carbs, proteins, fat plus nutrients instead of some off the cuff fad.

I know some though are naturally thin.....I am now a size 6-8 depending on the brand. I weight right around 135 now. Before I turned 25 I never ever watched what I ate and I weighed in at a whopping 111 to 114. I have a set of medical records showing this is the range of my weight up til around 25 and I got married. Everyone says I am thin now but I feel big myself sometimes just because I used to be so skinny..........I am 5'8 too.

I think it's getting disturbing that the so called teen queens are getting so skinny, they are the rolemodels the teenagers look up to and want to be like.

Edited by jgr0602

I know some though are naturally thin.....I am now a size 6-8 depending on the brand. I weight right around 135 now. Before I turned 25 I never ever watched what I ate and I weighed in at a whopping 111 to 114. I have a set of medical records showing this is the range of my weight up til around 25 and I got married. Everyone says I am thin now but I feel big myself sometimes just because I used to be so skinny..........I am 5'8 too.

This is exactly my situation. You are even the same size as me and I am tall too...and now married and older and more "curvy" as I like to say. How funny.I totally agree that lots of people are naturally thin. But in Hollywood I think most people who say they are "naturally thin" are not. Mainly b/c there is so much pressure to be super thin there - much thinner than is even normally very thin for most people, b/c the camera adds weight and also gaunter/cheekbonier faces photograph better. There is a lot of pressure to get this look (even though it often looks unhealthy in person). I felt it when I was acting and even more when I did some (limited) modeling. I also just hate it when all these celebs, who are so surgefied and heavily dieted and regulated, say "Oh, I'm just naturally this way!" Like Laura Flynn Boyle - remember her in Twin Peaks? She looked great and normal. Then someone told her she was too fat and she started dieting and got a sickness. There are sooo many celebs who suddenly drop 30-40 lbs from an otherwise healthy weight to a superthin weight and they always say it just "happened" accidentally or naturally. Nooo way. you would not believe the diet tips the models/actresses I have worked with have swapped. Some of them TOTALLY shocked me.A lot of times too I think you can tell the difference between healthy thin and crash diet/drug thin just by looking. (tho not always)JMO :) Edited by soho2chelsea

Let's not forget that industry people told Kirstie Alley that she should lose weight in her Cheers days. I'm also pretty sure I read that people within the industry told Tracey Gold that she was fat. With disasterous results.

Lara Flynn Boyle on Twin Peaks before she got famous

(in the back - you can hardly recognize her!)

Posted Image

I agree, it's stunning to see her when I pop in my Twin Peaks dvd's, she looked so good healthy and very pretty.

Guest ObjectiveEye

Lara Flynn Boyle on Twin Peaks before she got famous

(in the back - you can hardly recognize her!)

Posted Image

And later:

Posted Image

Gads, but Lara F. Boyle looks FAB-U-LO-SO pre-fame

She looks marvellous with some meat-on-her-bones :mellow: !!!

Thanks, Prin!

This is definitely a hot topic in Hollywood and the mags. The weight issue among the celebrities is a lose/lose situation. If they are 'too curvy' or not a size 2,the media might applaud at first, but then the media points out that they need to lose a few pounds or points out cellulite or bulges in pictures. On the other hand, stars may initially be applauded for losing weight, but then the media turns against them, claiming excessive drug use, an eating disorder or some other reason that can sell their magazines. And I am guilty of buying all of these magazines on a weekly basis, especially the ones with celebrity weights/diets/workouts on the cover. :unsure: The pressure to be abnormally thin in Hollywood comes from the execs as well as the media and the public. They are paid to look a certain way, but what price is the average woman or average teenage girl paying, trying to fit this image that is so far from reality. I am a recovering anorectic and the influence the media is having on our body images is very disturbing. IMO, it is only getting worse.

hey, pitt-lover, sorry to hear about your struggles, but i applaud you for being in recovery.of course you're right-- again, i think it speaks to our general lack of capacity for individual thought. the PR machine is infiltrating everyone's thoughts and it's so disturbing.

Guest ObjectiveEye

This is definitely a hot topic in Hollywood and the mags.  The weight issue among the celebrities is a lose/lose situation.  If they are 'too curvy' or not a size 2,the media might applaud at first, but then the media points out that they need to lose a few pounds or points out cellulite or bulges in pictures.  On the other hand, stars may initially be applauded for losing weight, but then the media turns against them, claiming excessive drug use, an eating disorder or some other reason that can sell their magazines.  And I am guilty of buying all of these magazines on a weekly basis, especially the ones with celebrity weights/diets/workouts on the cover. :unsure:  The pressure to be abnormally thin in Hollywood comes from the execs as well as the media and the public.  They are paid to look a certain way, but what price is the average woman or average teenage girl paying, trying to fit this image that is so far from reality.  I am a recovering anorectic and the influence the media is having on our body images is very disturbing.  IMO, it is only getting worse.

Pitt-Lover,

Well done for sharing your struggles with we complete strangers!

That takes courage ...

Yes, American culture is obscessed with the coverage of weight, which, ironically, may just be why we are a FAT culture.

In Europe, to cite an example, they don't obscess about weight, so much.

Women, especially are taught to take care of themselves as a daily routine ("faire la toilette", par example) and that just naturally includes NOT ingesting too much.

Incidentally, going to a gym and "working out", to Frenchwomen, was considered pretty weird until just a few years ago ... They walk everywhere, esp. in Paris, and tend to be more active naturally than are Amer. ladies, so they don't feel the need to go to a gym, for example.

The French especially, are taught to enjoy food and savour meal-times as convivial times.

(In Europe, people aren't taught to clean their plates.

Nor, do people snack or eat between meals, in France.)

They savour food and meal-times naturally because what they are served isn't the DRECK we get here ...

Plus, I admire that folks, across the Atlantic pond, are taught to take only as much food as they will need to feel satisfied and not feel full or stuffed.

We are taught to eat until we are full, for example ---

It is perfectly normal to say "I feel stuffed!" , after eating here, whereas IF you did that in France, you'd be perceived to be ... a... glutton!

And that's not to say that there are NOT eating disorders sufferers abroad.

There are, but, not to the degreee that there are over here, in America where women really are beaten down if they aren't at war with their food, or so it appears.

Plus, in our media, we are fed all manner of wholly air-brushed pictures of models, actresses looking impossibly beautiful and ... well, who can compete with that, I ask you? We look at perfect and perfectly UN-attainable images and think: "Why can't I be more like ..... ?

It is eternally self-sabotaging and self-defeating, I am telling you

:wacko:

Phew!

I went on and on, didn't I?

Princess brought up a whopper of a topic ... :o

This is definitely a hot topic in Hollywood and the mags. The weight issue among the celebrities is a lose/lose situation. If they are 'too curvy' or not a size 2,the media might applaud at first, but then the media points out that they need to lose a few pounds or points out cellulite or bulges in pictures. On the other hand, stars may initially be applauded for losing weight, but then the media turns against them, claiming excessive drug use, an eating disorder or some other reason that can sell their magazines. And I am guilty of buying all of these magazines on a weekly basis, especially the ones with celebrity weights/diets/workouts on the cover. :unsure: The pressure to be abnormally thin in Hollywood comes from the execs as well as the media and the public. They are paid to look a certain way, but what price is the average woman or average teenage girl paying, trying to fit this image that is so far from reality. I am a recovering anorectic and the influence the media is having on our body images is very disturbing. IMO, it is only getting worse.

I totally agree. You are brave to share and I think you are totally right in everything you said. *hugs*