MMM1

What are you reading?

MMM1 -- I really liked Shopgirl. The pubic hair shaving scene really creeped me out. He can be really vulgar & lovely at the same time. Odd, reallyI loved The Lovely Bones. It had me enthralled. completely.Does anyone read Diana Gabaldon? Her next is out on September 27!

Yes, SG did have some risque moments where you think "Steve Martin wrote this?"...then I keep thinking about the movie and him and Claire Danes having a serious romance. I guess he'll always be the "wild and crazy guy" from SNL.Right now I'm reading "the Matzo ball heiress"..a red dress ink chick lit book.Doesn't Gabaldon write sci fi/fantasy?? I've never read her..how are her books..are they real long??

Gabaldon writes the Outlander series. It is not a series that is easy to classify because it really transcends genres. I would call it romance, adventure, fantasy, historical fiction. The story is super cool -- the premise is that some people can travel through time through stone circles. The writing is not at all out there. Her style is very earthy and detailed. The characters are engaging & the plots are engrossing. I absolutely love these books.So, how is "Matzo Ball Heriess?" Do you recommend it?

Thanks for the info...sounds interesting.The Matzo ball heiress...ehhh..wouldn't recommend it at this point but I'm only halfway there. I'm not really thrilled with the main character..she seems to be handed everything..spoiled,rich..I'm also not getting alot of the jokes. So at this point..Pass :D

Just finished "The Negotiator" by Dee HendersonStarting "Angels & Demons" by Dan Brown and "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult

Ooo MMM1 I really liked both of the books you just started! My Sister's Keeper was kind of depressing, but not as much as you'd think given the topic.I read ShopGirl a long time ago. I remember liking the book. But I hate Claire Danes - won't see anything with her in it.And hazelnut, give it a few years then give the Girl With the Pearl Earrings movie a chance. I loved the book "The Firm" and right after I finished it, I saw it was playing on tv. I sat down to watch it and got about 10 minutes into it when I just had to get up and leave I hated the movie so much. But I saw the movie again years later, and was able to appreciate it more when the book wasn't as fresh in my mind.Anyhow, an author I really like is Sue Grafton. She writes a series of books with the character of Kinsey. Kinsey is a PI and one of my best friends. :D The books are in ABC order with titles like, "A is for Alibi" and "B is for Burglar", etc. The S book comes out in December and I'm so excited I can't sit still! It takes at least a year and usually much more for her to write a new book.

Hi Angel.I'm about 1/4 of the way through "My Sister's Keeper". What a moral dilemma..it really does make you think "who is right and who is wrong". I've never read Picoult before so I was curious..so far really like her style of writing.Sue Grafton is very good. I started reading her years ago but had to stop reading for while. I left off with I or J and just for some unknown reason never picked back up. Good thing about Grafton..she writes such a tight,compact mystery..everything falls into place without being extreme or predictable.

Edited by MMM1

I've read through E in the Sue Grafton series and I'm still kind of iffy on whether or not I like them. I keep hoping with each book that she doesn't have the same 4 pages with the details on Kinsey's background and how she lives in the apartment with the baker landlord. We know that by now! I just pick them up when there's nothing else at the library.I read My Sister's Keeper this summer and it is very good. After reading that, I picked up Perfect Match by Picoult and liked it too. I really like her writing style.I just started Angels & Demons on Monday, and so far I like it.

I just got "Good in Bed" a chick-lit book. Haven't started it yet.I really liked the Sue Grafton books. But I like to read fluff most of the time. So I just skip over the Kinsey backstory. I figure it's just so people can read any book not in order for fun, or get into the whole series. I love her landlord Henry. He's adorable. And her sarcastic/dry humor is right up my ally. :D

Has anyone read "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell" by Susanna Clarke? It just came out in trade paperback recently..so I got it today. Is it good/bad?? not sure whether I want to start it, yet.

I finished Angels & Demons. I liked it but by the time I got to the last 1/4 was ready for it to end. It just seemed to go on way too long at the end. It got me caught up on my Art History :). Desperate, let us know how you like it.Just started "Trial by Fury" by J.A. Jance--A JP Beaumont mystery and "For Matrimonial Purposes" by Kavita Daswani--an older chick lit book.

You guys reading anything good??Just finished "Everywhere that Mary Went" by Lisa ScottolineRight now I'm on "The Eyre Affair" by Jasper Fforde and going to try to start HP "The Order of the Phoenix" and have it as a running third book.

Just finished State of Fear by Michael Crichton - very intersting take on the Global Warming and Environmental Groups....

At the end he has a bunch of "this is what is real and this is what is fake" in the book stuff. One of the columns is here. Good reading.

I've been reading The Agony and The Esctasy by Irving Stone. It's based on Michelangelo, told from his point of view. Kinda slow starting, but glad I got through it because getting much more interesting now. I'm at the part where he just got invited to stay at the Medicini family palace and sculpt.

Anyone tackled "The Historian" or "Widow of the South" yet? Heard they are both very good.

Haven't heard of either of these. You read them yet? Is The HIstorian what they based the made-for-tv movie with Noah Wiley on?

I just got "Good in Bed" a chick-lit book. Haven't started it yet.I really liked the Sue Grafton books. But I like to read fluff most of the time. So I just skip over the Kinsey backstory. I figure it's just so people can read any book not in order for fun, or get into the whole series. I love her landlord Henry. He's adorable. And her sarcastic/dry humor is right up my ally. :D

I just finished "Good in Bed" and loved it! Its one of those books you don't want to end, I keep thinking about the characters and wondering how they're doing, lol. I also read "In her Shoes" and "Little Earthquakes" by Jennifer Weiner.

Finished up the "The Eyre Affair" really liked it. It was a bit strange,out there and quirky. Some reviews have likened it to a "grown up Harry Potter type book" or "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy type book". If your an English lit buff or "Jane Eyre" fan..you might want to give it a try...although it did take a few chapters for me to get into it. Princess, The Historian and Widow of the South were released a few months ago in hardback.The Historian is fiction and a 600 pager(not based upon the Wyle movie). It's about a young woman in search of the legend of Dracula. I've read reader reviews and see alot of "when does it get good" and this is a couple of hundred pages into it..not a good sign :D. Then there are some reviews where the readers absolutely loved it. I have read the first time author did go into painstaking detail (maybe she needed the help of a good editor).Widow of the South is based upon true facts but more historical fiction than anything. It is about a woman who opened her house as hospital during the Civil War. It's also gotten some good buzz.I'll probably check them out when they go paperback.

Edited by MMM1

Finished up the "The Eyre Affair" really liked it. It was a bit strange,out there and quirky. Some reviews have likened it to a "grown up Harry Potter type book" or "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy type book". If your an English lit buff or "Jane Eyre" fan..you might want to give it a try...although it did take a few chapters for me to get into it.

I've read that and I just finished the next one in the series, "Lost In A Good Book." It took me a while to get into the first one too because I couldn't figure out all of the weird stuff in her world, but once you get into it, it's not bad. The second one is a lot like the first.

Yea, the whole Crimea War stuff confused me..I wasn't really sure why they were fighting?? (maybe that was the point :D). I did enjoy the Rochester and Jane parts (have always loved Jane Eyre). I do have the second book already..it's just in the "to be read" pile.

Could only get through a couple of chapters of "Slave to Fashion" by Rebecca Campbell...just didn't grab me.Actually got through the whole book of Sidney Sheldon's "Are you Afraid of the Dark?" but wish I Had skipped that one. :D

I'm currently switching off between Blonde by Joyce Carol Oates and The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger (or something to that extent... don't have the book right in front of me... I'm sure you know what one I'm talking about)I wanted to read Blonde since I'm a huge Marilyn fan, but I'm just about at the halfway point and it's starting to really lag... the parts about her childhood are interesting, but when she hooks up with charlie chaplin jr and his boyfriend, it all gets a little too weird for me...So I thought The Devil Wears Prada would be a good one to fill in when Blonde was just too much for me, and it's alright, I'm still not sure what I think of it. I'm definetly hooked in it, but at the same time not really sure I even like the main character. Anyone else read it and have an opinion?

Hi Northerngirl. Quite a few people here have read "The Devil wears Prada"..most of us agree that we weren't real thrilled with the writing of it..but the actual story of a fashionista's flunkie :D was pretty cute. Check out the film thread..there is a thread about the upcoming movie version of this book.