princess

HBO's Behind the Candelabra

janetcharlton

Zsa Zsa Gabor’s daughter Francesca Hilton had a startling déjà vu moment when she paid her bedridden mother a visit the other day. Her mother’s house was surrounded by Warner Brothers movie trucks and equipment so it wasn’t easy navigating the property. The housekeeper opened the door and Francesca was greeted by the sight of a bejeweled Liberace in an extravagant silk robe and slippers standing in the foyer. Wow – it was like seeing a ghost. Francesca remembered Liberace as a frequent visitor in her home when she was a young girl. It was, of course, Michael Douglas in character for his HBO movie “Behind the Candelabra.” At that moment Matt Damon, wearing only a blonde wig and underpants, scurried by, and Francesca HAD to laugh. The visit was a success. Zsa Zsa’s husband rented out the house to the film production company for the three week shoot for $70,000.

Anyone else looking forward to this??

Posted Image

Posted Image

Only one shot of Michael I could find, most of them are of Matt.

gosh thats a really bad wig and I really don't see Michael Douglas in the role either.

Director:

Steven Soderbergh

Cast:

Matt Damon

Debbie Reynolds

Michael Douglas

Rob Lowe

Dan Aykroyd

:jumping1:

I remember as a child I adored Liberace. It was his clothes. The sequins, glitter and more sequins, not to mention the baubles. Huge, fantastic jewels. He also played piano like nobody's business. Such flair and drama! He was a true performance artist.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Matt Damon Wears Two Bedazzled Speedos in Behind the Candelabra

Entertainment May 28, 2013 AT 1:00PM By Zach Johnson

US Magazine

Matt Damon leaves little to the imagination in HBO's Behind the Candelabra. In the just-released biopic, the 42-year-old actor plays Liberace's one-time lover Scott Thorson. To capture the opulence of their life together in the '70s, Damon wears two bedazzled speedos in the film. He also bares his bum on several occasions, as does costar Michael Douglas, who plays the late piano-playing legend.

Damon warned reporters about his nude scenes during a press conference May 21, just five days before the movie premiered on the cable network. "It will be jarring," he said of his butt. "This is not something you can un-see. So you're all welcome to look. But you cannot un-ring that bell. It will be seared into your memory."

Director Steven Soderbergh joked that Damon was actually quite proud of his buff body and barely-there wardrobe. "When Matt told me the story about his Brazilian spray tan, I felt the world really needed to see this," he said during the Cannes Film Festival. "So I was looking for opportunities. And we found them."

Soderbergh added, "Give the people what they want and they will show up!"

In fact, it was Damon's idea to add more nudity to the script. "I said, 'What if at the end of the scene, I drop the robe and get into bed?'" the Massachusetts native recalled. "And Steven just looked at me for a long time and said, 'Oh I know where to put the camera.' I said, 'It's the wrongest thing you have ever seen.'"

Did anyone watch this? (I don't have HBO) I know Lainey has been raving about it since she got the screener during the week......

I didn't even know it aired over the weekend, but you know what I"ll be popping into TiVo when I get home tonight :)

I think it premiered on Sunday....I'll wait for dvd (I know, I have streaming issues - I need to start trying it more often, but I'll try with free stuff on Amazon before I go to pay options.....Or maybe we'll have a free HBO weekend on Directv :-)

Saw it, loved it!! The opening scene sucks and I was like "great, another crappy made-for-tv-movie", but after about 10 minutes it recovered and loved the rest of the movie!

My almost 70-year-old mother in law was raving about this last night. I'll probably check it out after I finish my Arrested Development binge.

Finally recorded this last week during a free HBO promotion - watched half of it last night, hope to finish up tonight. (watching while making dinner - my husband not interested and watching Military channel in the basement ;-)

I like it - think Michael Douglas & Matt Damon did a very nice job with the acting.....