princess

Oscars 2017

Oscars are this Sunday night, right?

Yes, I'm going to be traveling and will miss. Ah well. I have Fashion Police set to record on Monday, and I know I'll be able to watch any good clips & speeches online. Nice thing about the digital age....

I heard "Lash Fary" the owner of the swag company on a radio show about a year ago -- seemed like a very funny sweet guy.

I thought these things were done away with after Edward Burns? made such a god awful big deal about it?

I am so excited! Regal had a $35 pass to see all of them this year (they may have had them before, this is the first I have heard of it) and my 15 year old and I sat through all 9 movies last weekend.

So much fun and I can check this off the bucket list. We said if they offer this again, we would do it again.

• Like 2

I thought these things were done away with after Edward Burns? made such a god awful big deal about it?

In 2006, the Academy ITSELF stopped giving away swag. Swag now comes from private companies who organize the gifts - it's just a PR move. Technically, the Academy isn't involved, and anyone is free to decline the offer of the swag ;-)

In 2006, the Academy ITSELF stopped giving away swag. Swag now comes from private companies who organize the gifts - it's just a PR move. Technically, the Academy isn't involved, and anyone is free to decline the offer of the swag ;-)

I would take one. No apologies. :)

• Like 1

But you have to count it as income and pay taxes....That's really why the Academy stopped.

What a silly reason to stop - these people are all in the highest tax bracket - what is another 1 or 2 hundred thousand?

I would still take it and I am still not apologizing -- because I am just that mercenary. :alien_dance:

Edited by tyler
  • Like 2

But you have to count it as income and pay taxes....That's really why the Academy stopped.

What a silly reason to stop - these people are all in the highest tax bracket - what is another 1 or 2 hundred thousand?

I would still take it and I am still not apologizing -- because I am just that mercenary. :alien_dance:

Ha ha ha!! :banana:

Fascinating article about the business of dressing for Awards shows.

http://www.eonline.com/news/831496/the-true-story-of-celebrity-oscar-dresses-rules-politics-and-why-they-wear-who-they-re-wearing?cmpid=emn-022417-enewsletter-button-featured-1

Lainey pointed it out today http://www.laineygossip.com/Ruth-Negga-honoured-at-Oscar-Wilde-Awards-ahead-of-the-Oscars/46343'

I knew actors got clothing for free - I didn't realize they would *also* be paid to wear the clothing. Wow.

COURTESY ONTD:

Meryl Streep Ain't Here for Karl Lagerfeld's 'Apology'

67665_300.jpg 67939_300.jpg
Meryl Streep and Karl Lagerfeld both issued new statements today on the accusations Lagerfeld made over her Oscar gown this week.

(ICYMI, Lagerfeld told WWD that Streep left him with a $100,000+ gown that he made for her to wear at tomorrow's Academy Awards so that she could wear the dress of another designer who agreed to pay her. He called Streep "cheap" and suggested that she could keep the dress anyway because it is larger than sample size).

Lagerfeld's Statement:

“Chanel engaged in conversations with Ms. Streep’s stylist, on her request, to design a dress for her to wear to the Academy Awards. After an informal conversation, I misunderstood that Ms. Streep may have chosen another designer due to remuneration, which Ms. Streep’s team has confirmed is not the case. I regret this controversy and wish Ms. Streep well with her 20th Academy Award nomination.”

Streep's Response:

“In reference to Mr. Lagerfeld’s ‘statement,’ there is no ‘controversy’: Karl Lagerfeld, a prominent designer, defamed me, my stylist and the illustrious designer whose dress I chose to wear, in an important industry publication. That publication printed this defamation, unchecked. Subsequently, the story was picked up globally, and continues, globally, to overwhelm my appearance at the Oscars, on the occasion of my record-breaking 20th nomination, and to eclipse this honor in the eyes of the media, my colleagues and the audience. I do not take this lightly, and Mr. Lagerfeld’s generic ‘statement’ of regret for this ‘controversy’ was not an apology. He lied, they printed the lie, and I am still waiting.
Karl Lagerfeld has always impressed me as being a monumental horse's ass. I want to be Meryl when I grow up.
Edited by tyler
  • Like 1

Very few good looking gowns this year, Taraji Henson was probably the most notable. She looked beautiful. Viola Davis also looked lovely. Word of the wise to pale blondes/redheads: stop wearing clothing that blends into your skin, it's blah and makes you a wallflower. Also, many of the ball gown type dresses didn't work on those who were wearing them. These events are where you should look your best and be noticed...in a good way. Discover color and come alive. All of the pale porcelain princesses dressed in neutrals looked blah and boring to me. Nicole Kidman in particular really needs some advice in this regard, but there are others too who look washed out. Meryl Streep wore a beautiful color even though I don't care for that style collar/neckline. I'd love to see her hair styled for a change too.

I think the men dressing for this year's event were much more notable than the women. Not keen on a tux/suit/dress shoes look with no socks though.

Edited by Hihomumio
  • Like 1

My best dressed were Taraji, Viola and Janelle Monae - I think for the Oscars you either go timeless classic (the first two) or memorable but still gorgeous (the latter, which had a structurally similar bodice to Halle berry's dress the year she won, makes sense since it's the same designer).

I thought there was a lot of fabulous jewellery on show last night which distracted from how blah many of the dresses were. Felicity jones - why bother turning up if that's what you're going to wear? I was also disappointed with Kidman, having loved that parrot dress.

I hated Karlie Kloss's look - the dress was a rip off of gwyneths tom ford cape from a few years ago and the high neckline did not work with a choker.

Wow. Clicking through those photos, ^^^^^^

Taraji Henson looks gorgeous. Chrissy Teigen always looks like the most fun.

I do wish Nicole Kidman would stick with red hair. She looks so lovely on "Big Little Lies."

Salma. Salma, Salma, Salma. Why?

I have to admit I love Octavia Spencer's dress. I would buy it if I could, and I would find reasons to wear it.

I like Kirsten Dunst's dress, although I am not sure how she can breathe in it.

Laura Dern looks great.

Mel Gibson brought his daughter, I hope. :blink:

Is Michael Strahan wearing a blue velvet tux? I... kind of love it.

WTF: Dakota Johnson, Jessica Biel (for the hair and makeup), Ginnifer Goodwin, Pharell Williams's date/ partner, "Blanca Blanco," who I am not convinced is wearing underwear.

All in all, I see a lot of granny fashions, high necks and dresses that remind me of doilies and old bedspreads.