Kath

British Royals

So, how will that be pronounced in England?? French (lou-ee), or "english" (lew-is)? I'm hoping French but I have no idea....

It's a 7 am start for me, which is luckily very doable for me.

Same here! I'll just make sure the tv is on whatever channel will be airing it and I can always rewind when I get up if I need to....

Reading back trying to remember what title I thought the Queen would give Will & Kate - didn't find it. I really don't remember what I thought. Gloucester?

Lainey guessing/wishing what title she'll give Harry & Megan. No way it'll be Windsor. The Queen learned her hatred of That Woman at her mother's side.....http://www.laineygossip.com/prince-harrys-private-secretary-ed-lane-fox-stepping-down-ahead-of-royal-wedding/49740

Did anyone see The Royal Wives at War? I think it was on BBCAmerica or Smithsonian channel here in the US. It was a docudrama - interviews with biographers & journalists interspersed with acted bits. Just the sort of thing I love.

• Like 1

I think Sussex is generally assumed to be the title they will get. I remember a while back (maybe around the time of the engagement) reading something about how most of the other dukedoms that are available are in some way tainted. Bad luck, bad vibes, bad history. So I think this is just the general assumption at this point.

• Like 1

I still like Gloucester. I think the last was one of the current Queen's uncles? Or maybe one generation before that. Early 20th century. Off to look! ETA Damn so wrong, there is one now.

(I read a book about Bertie, Queen Victoria's son, Prince of Wales - such a good book! But never have I needed wikipedia family trees open next to me so much!! Heir Apparent (life of Edward VII, The Playboy Prince by Jane Ridley)

Edited by Hoyaheel
  • Like 1

I think Sussex is generally assumed to be the title they will get. I remember a while back (maybe around the time of the engagement) reading something about how most of the other dukedoms that are available are in some way tainted. Bad luck, bad vibes, bad history. So I think this is just the general assumption at this point.

I remember reading that at Will & Kate's engagement - there were maybe 3-4 options that were "acceptable" - open, not tainted. Hadn't seen the same articles this time around, though....

Hmm - Wikipedia says that the Queen told Harry he'd be Sussex the same time she created Cambridge for Will....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_of_Sussex

Edited by Hoyaheel

I still like Gloucester. I think the last was one of the current Queen's uncles? Or maybe one generation before that. Early 20th century. Off to look! ETA Damn so wrong, there is one now.

(I read a book about Bertie, Queen Victoria's son, Prince of Wales - such a good book! But never have I needed wikipedia family trees open next to me so much!! Heir Apparent (life of Edward VII, The Playboy Prince by Jane Ridley)

I’ll have to add that to my Goodreads list.

• Like 1

I’ll have to add that to my Goodreads list.

Next up on my list when I want that era is a book on Queen Victoria's matchmaking! Her spawn were all over the world!!! I also want to read something by Lady Colin Campbell - she's one who was interviewed quite a bit on a couple of the docudrama histories I've seen - she's done bios of the Queen Mother and others. She seems quite a character ;-)

Just a reminder to set your TiVo for the wedding this Saturday. And also the lifetime movie about Harry and Meghan :D

• Like 2

NEXT Saturday. May 19 :-)

I haven't decided if I'm getting up that early (NBC coverage starts at 4:30 am eastern time - not sure about other channels) or will just rewind when I wake up....

I'll record it and watch it a little later in the morning. And yes, next weekend. Dang it!!

• Like 2

I'm definitely having scones & mimosas though (I don't love a Pimms cup...) My husband will be gone on a campig trip - he's coming home that Saturday and I've already warned him I might be tipsy when he gets home....

• Like 1

I'm definitely having scones & mimosas though (I don't love a Pimms cup...) My husband will be gone on a campig trip - he's coming home that Saturday and I've already warned him I might be tipsy when he gets home....

That's the kind of marriage I want :D

• Like 1

TV Coverage, May 19 wedding: [i think I can edit this as I find more options....]

Channel/coverage start time (US east coast)

NBC - 4:30 am eastern time

CBS - 4am eastern

ABC - 5am eastern

Fox News- 5am

E!Online - 5:00am eastern time

HBO (Trish & Cord!!) 7:30 am [oh how I want to watch this....maybe it'll be available for $ after the fact]

BBCAmerica (airing BBC1 coverage) 4:15am eastern

PBS:PBS will also be showing the wedding live. The channel will run a five-part nightly series starting May 14, which will end with a live broadcast of the wedding on May 19.
MSNBC: Joy Reid will anchor coverage of the royal wedding on MSNBC from New York starting at 4 a.m. eastern, while Stephanie Ruhle and Katy Tur will report live from Windsor.
IN A MOVIE THEATER:
If you prefer to watch the royal wedding commercial-free with surround sound, Fathom Events is partnering with BritBox and ITV to air the festivities at nearly 200 locations at 10 a.m. local time. For more information, including how to buy tickets, visit fathomevents.com.
Edited by Hoyaheel
  • Like 1

TV Coverage, May 19 wedding: [i think I can edit this as I find more options....]

Channel/coverage start time (US east coast)

NBC - 4:30 am eastern time

CBS - 4am eastern

ABC - 5am eastern

Fox News- 5am

E!Online - 5:00am eastern time

HBO (Trish & Cord!!) 7:30 am [oh how I want to watch this....maybe it'll be available for $ after the fact]

BBCAmerica (airing BBC1 coverage) 4:15am eastern

PBS:PBS will also be showing the wedding live. The channel will run a five-part nightly series starting May 14, which will end with a live broadcast of the wedding on May 19.
MSNBC: Joy Reid will anchor coverage of the royal wedding on MSNBC from New York starting at 4 a.m. eastern, while Stephanie Ruhle and Katy Tur will report live from Windsor.
IN A MOVIE THEATER:
If you prefer to watch the royal wedding commercial-free with surround sound, Fathom Events is partnering with BritBox and ITV to air the festivities at nearly 200 locations at 10 a.m. local time. For more information, including how to buy tickets, visit fathomevents.com.

Maybe we should make this it's own thread? Pin to the top and you can modify as needed?? This is important stuff :D

• Like 2

The whole dad thing makes me feel really bad for her. Even if they arent that close, way to have to deal with this baggage so publicly.

• Like 1

Yup. I feel bad for her too.

I've watched the Lifetime movie. Total awesome trash, I watched the whole thing :D

I have the movie on my dvr too. Maybe Sat afternoon. Dang camping trip got cancelled (thunderstorms...) so husband is here this week. That's ok - I'll go to the basement tv and the cat will come hang out with me....And there will still be sparkling wine & scones ;-)

10 Tips for Meghan Markle from Princess Mia of Thermopolis http://ew.com/books/2018/05/15/10-tips-for-meghan-markle-on-her-wedding-day-from-princess-mia-of-genovia/

I’ve got to take my daughter to Delaware for a field hockey tournament so we’ll be in the car for most of the actual wedding. I’ll just have to have an all wedding day when I get back. I’m taping the Will and Molly co stage and probably BBC America.

• Like 1

I watched the movie and screamed with hilarity at some parts. Cheesy but I couldn't stop until I had seen the whole thing.

I had forgotten that I'll be away this weekend. I told my husband that Saturday morning WE ARE ALL WATCHING THE WEDDING OR ELSE. (We're going camping too -- and it's supposed to rain here as well -- ughhhhhhh)

• Like 2