PopWatch.com (Entertainment Weekly)

July 05, 2006

What's the official song of summer '06?

If there's anything more troubling to me than today's date (July 5? Wha...? Where'd June go?) or the weather (zoinks! the ark just floated past PopWatch HQ!), it's the fact that no single single has emerged as the official song of summer 2006. Stereogum weighed in last week on behalf of Justin Timberlake's forthcoming "SexyBack" (a brief clip of it is kicking around cyberspace) while the New York Post has listed Nelly Furtado and Timbaland's "Promiscuous" as the slight frontrunner over "SexyBack," Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy" and Beyonce's "Déjà Vu." (Hey, where Xtina at?) Fine choices all of 'em, but to me, none quite has the slightly scary ubiquity that defines a song of summer.

I'll admit that I probably deserve to be taken out back with a can of tuna for saying it, but perhaps Fergie's "London Bridge" (which is linked via this site) has what it takes to, er, bridge the gap. Yes, like cheese in a can, Funyons, and the Taco Bell Gordita, it's so deadly, undeniably wrong, and yet I want to consume more, more, more. Is it possible Fergie stuffed some crack in the bassline, because I've had "London Bridge" on repeat loop all morning, and whenever and I try to stop it, I get a case of the mean sweats. Somebody, please, knock some sense into me. Tell me I'm wrong, and name something -- anything -- other than "London Bridge" as the song of summer '06.

Blowing Up While Going Down - 'Bridge' Hits #1Posted Aug 10th 2006 6:28PM by TMZ StaffFiled under: MusicFergie doesn't want to be known as just a chick Pea anymore, and having the #1 song on the Billboard charts might just be the way to do that. Fergie Ferg's new single "London Bridge" achieved second biggest leap in Billboard Hot 100 history last week by going from #86 to #5, was featured on this week's episode of "Entourage" and is now the top single in the country.Fergie told MTV.com "We wanted to make it more of a tough feel, which the song is."If by "tough" she means "dancing like a ho," then it appears as though the Billboard charts are going to need prophylactics.

Fergie grosses me out. She's got a fugly face, but the thing I can't get out of my mind is when she peed herself on stage. There are also photos of her pitting out. Yuck. She's like one big bodily function.

Black Eyed Peas singer Fergie's new song is about four-in-a-bed sex.

The pop babe recently released her first solo single 'London Bridge' and after hinting it was about a bedroom activity the racy topic of the track has now been revealed.

The song, which is included on her debut solo album 'The Dutchess', refers to when two women and two men have sex and form a position to make a 'bridge'.

Despite writing about the racy subject, Fergie insists she has never participated in the act.

She is quoted as saying: "Have I ever been involved in one? No I don't think I ever have actually. No, no I haven't. But I'm definitely touching on issues that aren't childlike!"

Fergie, real name Stacey Ferguson, has previously refused to talk about the song's subject matter when quizzed about it.

In the chorus of the song she sings: "How come every time you come around, my London Bridge wanna go down?"

But when she was recently asked what the lyrics referred to, Fergie said: "That's the magic question. I'm not going to be specific with it because it can have several meanings. People should use their imagination."

Source: http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/celebrity/Fer...song-11729.html

Justin Holds Off Clay, Fergie

E! Online

Clay Aiken just got another dose of the runner-up blues.

In a week that saw five albums top 100,000 in sales and five debut in the Top 10, the American Idol also-ran failed to rally enough members of the Clay Nation to dethrone Justin Timberlake.

The ex-'N Syncer sold 217,000 copies of FutureSex/LoveSounds for the week ended Sunday, per Nielsen SoundScan numbers released today, bringing its two-week tally to 903,000. Sales of the disc, which boasts Timberlake's first Billboard Hot 100 chart-topper, "Sexy Back," were down nearly 70 percent from the previous week, when it opened with the biggest first-week sales by a solo artist this year.

Aiken trailed by 12,000 copies as A Thousand Different Ways finished with 205,000--about a third as many copies of his 2003 post-Idol debut, Measure of a Man. That disc moved 613,000 first-week units, still a record among all Idol alumni (all of whom seem to be releasing CDs this fall, including the man who beat Aiken, Ruben Studdard, whose The Return is due Oct. 17.)

Checking into the three spot was Fergie with her solo debut, The Dutchess. The album, produced by Black Eyed Peas cohort Will.I.Am, sold 142,000 in its first week and features the single "London Bridge," which spent three weeks at number one on the Hot 100.

Country star and short-time Renee Zellweger hubby Kenny Chesney roped in the four spot with his concert disc Live: Those Songs Again, which sold 137,000 copies. The singer's The Road and the Radio still remains strong in its 46th week, resting at 78 with 11,000 in sales to surpass the 2.5 million mark.

Diana Kralll's From This Moment On sold 85,000 copies at seven, which also marks her seventh straight album to top Billboard's jazz chart. Wrapping up the Top 10 debuts was Midwestern rapper Chingy, whose Hoodstar sold 70,000 copies to drop right thurr at eight.

John Mayer recorded the other 100K-plus sales week as his Continuum moved 133,000 units at number five. Rounding out the Top 10: Beyonce's B'Day at six, Hinder's Extreme Behavior at nine and Bob Dylan's Modern Times at 10.

Aside from the quintet of newcomers to the Top 10, there were five other new entries in the Top 25 led by Lupe Fiasco, Jesse McCartney and Elton John.

Fiasco, a skater-rapper known for his work with Kanye West and for his skate-inspired hit, "Kick, Push," sold 58,000 copies of Food & Liquor at 12. Teen heartthrob McCartney (who recently got on J.Lo's bad side by wrongly claiming that she was pregnant) opened his Right Where You Want Me at 14 with nearly 52,000 copies. Sir Elton, meanwhile, saw The Captain and the Kid, a sequel to his 1975 classic Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy, set sail at 18, selling 37,000.

Meanwhile, punk-powered rockers New Found Glory landed at 24 as Coming Home slid home on 31,000 discs, while Latin music superstar Paulina Rubio debuted at 25 selling a career-best 30,000 first-week copies of Ananda.

Other notable debuts included Bone Thugs-N-Harmony's Thug Stories at 31, Aaron Neville's Bring It on Home...The Soul Classics at 37, Julio Iglesias' Romantic Classics at 41, Indigo Girls' Despite Our Differences at 44, Johnny Lang's Turn Around at 46, Mushroomhead's Savior Sorrow at 73 and DJ Shadow's Outsider at 94.

Among last week's big bows, Bob Seger's Face the Promise fell seven spots to 11, Lionel Richie's Coming Home was down 16 to 22, and the Mars Volta's Amputechture spiraled a whopping 53 spots to finish at 62 in week two.

Such declines offset the slew of new chart debuts and helped to explain why sales were down nearly 4 percent from the previous week and 2 percent from the same time last year. Year-to-date sales are down 5 percent from 2005, per SoundScan.

Fergie shows her private side

NEW YORK (AP) -- In the basement of a trendy downtown hotel, Fergie sits waiting at the head of a large wooden table, scribbling notes on a yellow legal pad.

The sexy, spicy element of the Black Eyed Peas apologizes for wanting to meet in this stuffy, angular room rather than the trendy Asian restaurant first suggested.

"I just couldn't deal with a New York night out," she says.

She also apologizes for wearing a black Adidas track suit and knit cap -- she's simply not up for glamour today. Her nails are scuffed and bitten. She apologizes for that, too.

It's a different image of a performer more often seen strutting her stuff in something small, expensive and tight, her hips wiggling, boasting about her "lovely lady lumps."

"Maybe I'll get on the table and dance," she says with a smile.

The 31-year-old is preoccupied these days with her solo debut CD "The Dutchess," an eclectic collection of 13 songs she hopes will prove she's more than just a pretty Pea.

Containing everything from torch songs ("All That I Got," "Finally") to bouncy pop ("Fergalicious," "Clumsy"), reggae ("Voodoo Doll") and even techno ("Glamorous"), the album has germinated for years and represents her wide musical influences.

"That is my truth and makes me who I am," says Fergie, born Stacy Ann Ferguson. "If I'd only done one style, that wouldn't have been a truthful representation of me."

Lyric-wise, "The Dutchess" -- a riff on how her name is so close to Britain's Duchess of York, Sarah Ferguson -- offers a more introspective Fergie, a woman willing to talk about her loves, her critics and her former meth addiction.

"There are a lot of times when I really dig deep on this album, whereas with the guys, I don't know if there's enough of a platform to go into all of my drama or love affairs," she says.

"I think it's important to represent who I am in all facets," she adds. "That's why I've talked about my struggle with drugs. I don't want to talk about it all the time because it's not a part of my life any more but I'm not running from it."

Based on the success of the saucy first single "London Bridge," Fergie shouldn't stress. A late entry for song of the summer, it sat atop the Billboard singles chart for three weeks -- not to mention all it did for Anglo-American relations.

"It was a huge landmark day for me. I was crying -- happy crying -- and running around the house calling everybody," she says when the song hit No. 1. "For it to finally happen and for the song to be successful, it's really rewarding."

The rest of the CD -- co-written by Fergie and produced by Ron Fair, DJ Mormile and will.i.am, the Peas' lead lyricist -- features samples from Little Richard, The Commodores and The Temptations. Guests include John Legend, Ludacris and Rita Marley.

"Once people get this album and hear what she's capable of as a singer and writer, I think that's when the roof blows off it," says Fair, chairman of Geffen Records. "That's when she's not just a little trifling pop girl doing disposable hits."

'I didn't plan to ever be in the band'

Fergie, raised in Whittier, California, may have seemed destined for that fate when she emerged at age 7 in the kiddie TV band Kids Incorporated, later graduating to the pop girl group Wild Orchid in the 1990s.

Wanting to make it on her own, she approached will.i.am with the hope of convincing him to help create a solo CD. She had seen the Peas live in 1998 -- before they were multiplatinum sensations -- and was an enormous fan.

She started off a kind of apprenticeship, adding her booming, soulful backing vocals to what would be the band's third album, "Elephunk," which had hits like "Where's the Love" and the Grammy Award-winning "Let's Get It Started." By the time will.i.am -- together with bandmates Taboo and apl.de.ap -- left for a tour of Australia in 2003, Fergie was their fourth member.

"I didn't plan to ever be in the band, but as things organically grew, and I started working with them for my solo album, there was some point where we made that decision," she says. "I just went with my gut."

Joining a tight hip-hop band that thrived onstage was more difficult than it seemed. Fergie held back at first until she could learn how to roll with the ad-libs and pick her spots.

There were also the catcalls and ire from long-term fans of the Peas who didn't like the band's blossoming mainstream popularity -- blaming it, in part, on the newest blonde Pea.

"It does get painful sometimes," she says. "I actually really had to pep-talk myself so that I could overcome those fears. It's hard when someone's sitting there staring at you. Or even mad-dogging you.

"Now I just get in their face."

In 2005, the group's "Monkey Business" turned into another multiplatinum success thanks to "My Humps," "Pump It" and "Don't Phunk with My Heart," which won another Grammy.

Despite the Peas' triumphs since she came aboard, she's loathe to single out herself as the reason behind their success: "I think it has to do with us. I think we all are responsible for the success of these albums," she says. "It's a team effort."

But it's all about Fergie on "The Dutchess." On the new album, she mixes her vulnerable and fierce sides. "Would you love me/If I didn't work out/Or didn't change my natural hair?" she asks a lover in "All That I Got." On "London Bridge," she threatens to mace pushy photographers and boasts: "I'm such a lady, but I'm dancin' like a ho."

"It's poking fun at certain things. I'm really not going to spray the paparazzi with mace -- I don't know if you know that about me," she says, smiling.

"I'm not a promiscuous girl -- like I talk about in 'Clumsy,' I'm always the girl with the boyfriend in serious relationships -- but I do like to play with my sexuality. I don't think that means I have to live in a morgue," she says (Fergie and "Las Vegas" hunk Josh Duhamel have been dating for some time).

Fergie thinks she'll be able to open up even more on the next Black Eyed Peas album -- no, she insists, they're not breaking up -- because her solo CD will let fans "get me and know who I am."

"Sometimes I feel like the underdog. But I like that because then more people will be surprised when they do see something that they like from me," she says. "I've learned that I can't please everybody."

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

I don't really like Fergie and I am not impressed with what I have heard of her solo stuff as it is not very original. Having said that I think she is good with BEP and I like alot of their stuff.

Black Eyed Peas singer Fergie used to pretend she was bulimic to hide her

drug habit.

The singer - who beat her addiction to crystal meth five years ago - used to

tell her parents she was suffering from an eating disorder when they

questioned her about her rapid weight loss, caused by her heavy drug use.

She said: "I came up with the best explanation I could - bulimia."

Meanwhile, Fergie has revealed Tina Turner is her idol.

The pop beauty, real name Stacy Ferguson, has been inspired by Tina ever

since she saw her in concert as a child.

Fergie told Rolling Stone magazine: "I saw Tina Turner with my dad. She

pointed at me. That was big. I love how energetic and raw she was. Those

early impressions tell you how things are supposed to be. I've taken a lot

of that with me."

Fergie tells Giant mag more about her meth addiction.

"I got to the point where I was doing meth day and night and had no more money. I was hearing voices. I thought people were after me. I wasn't talking to any of my friends or family. I actually lost so much weight that my friends did an intervention. So I lied and said I was bulimic, just making stuff up."

She added:

"I could have written a whole album about my struggle with drugs, but I'm not sure if I'm gonna feel comfortable with people knowing my secrets."

Fergie on what she does for a buzz nowadays:

"I enjoy having a glass of wine here and there."

hollywoodrag

Does anyone else remember "Supersonic" by JJ Fadd? An all girls rap song from the late 80's? Well Fergilicious sounds a LOT like it. I know Fergie was in Kids Incrpoorated around that time so she was young and was most likely aware of that song and maybe a fan if it. Seems to me a LOT like it ... anyone else think she ripped it off?

Does anyone else remember "Supersonic" by JJ Fadd? An all girls rap song from the late 80's? Well Fergilicious sounds a LOT like it. I know Fergie was in Kids Incrpoorated around that time so she was young and was most likely aware of that song and maybe a fan if it. Seems to me a LOT like it ... anyone else think she ripped it off?

Yeah, definitely ripped them off. Her music sucks so badly...yet, she's being successful. Young people..y'all don't vote, but will listen to this crap.

YES. Thank God, I thought I was the only one old enough to remember that song.

I hope she gave them credit for the sample, it's a total ripoff. I am guessing there is a sample in the song and they got paid. If not, that's just wrong. (but maybe JJ Fad is no longer around to sue? lol)

I hope so. They really deserve some sort of credit whether she calls it "inspired by" or a "rip-off of"!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was thinking this.

Yeah, definitely ripped them off. Her music sucks so badly...yet, she's being successful. Young people..y'all don't vote, but will listen to this crap.

Hey...

I vote and I love Fergalicious and Supersonic.

Fergalicious definition make them boys go loco...

What's not to love?

Hey...

I vote and I love Fergalicious and Supersonic.

Fergalicious definition make them boys go loco...

What's not to love?

I have to admit that I'm really digging Fergalicious ...

my body stays vicious... I be up in the gym just working on my fitness :D

Ventimiglia Proud Of Fergie Pop Video

Milo Ventimiglia has claimed that working with Fergie on the pop video for 'Big Girls Don't Cry' was "fun".

The Heroes star played the role of a drug-dealing boyfriend in the Black Eyed Peas star's promo last year. He said the best thing about the project was that it allowed him "to strap on a different character" for a while.

Ventimiglia told the BBC: "Who wouldn't want to sit around wearing tattoos making out with Fergie?

"It was great fun. It was an opportunity as an actor to try and do something a little different."

He added: "People would look at me and wonder, 'Wow, do you really have all of those tattoos, and is that a real ponytail, and are you a drug dealer?' It was fun to strap on a different character."

Source: digitalspy.co.uk

Listen to Fergie's Sex and the City Song

Fergie is funking up the silver screen with "Labels or Love," the new Sex and the City movie theme song. Although her version is fast-paced pop, the song also gives a nod to the original HBO series by incorporating the show's classic instrumental theme at the beginning and end.

Listen to the song here:

"I grew up watching Sex and the City and I know a lot of my girlfriends did as well," says Fergie. "We felt like these characters were our friends, so to be a part of this project has been amazing."

Fergie's song appears both in the film and on the Sex and the City: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack, available May 27. The film hits theaters May 30.

Jennifer Hudson, who plays Carrie Bradshaw's assistant in the movie, also has a new song on the soundtrack: "All Dressed in Love" (written by MC Jack Splash and Gnarls Barkley's Cee-Lo Green), which will play over the end credits in the film.

India.Arie's cover of Don Henley's "Heart of the Matter" streams on the official Sex web site. Other artists featured on the soundtrack include Nina Simone, Al Green, Joss Stone, and Run-D.M.C. with Steven Tyler and Joe Perry of Aerosmith in their classic "Walk This Way."

Full track listing

1. "Labels or Love" – Fergie

2. "All Dressed In Love" – Jennifer Hudson

3. "The Look Of Love" (Madison Park vs Lenny B Remix) – Nina Simone

4. "New York Girls" – Morningwood

5. "All This Beauty" – The Weepies

6. "I Like The Way" – Kaskade

7. "It's Amazing" – Jem

8. "How Deep Is Your Love" – The Bird & The Bee

9. "The Heart Of The Matter" – India.Arie

10. "Auld Lang Syne" – Mairi Campbell & Dave Francis

11. "Kissing" – Bliss

12. "How Can You Mend A Broken Heart" – Al Green featuring Joss Stone

13. "Walk This Way" – Run-D.M.C. featuring Steven Tyler and Joe Perry of Aerosmith

14. "Sex and the City Movie Theme" – The Pfeifer Broz. Orchestra

Fergie's Sex & the City Rendezvous!

OK!

The Sex and The City movie is perhaps the most highly anticipated one this year. Well, at least for women and fashionistas. But for Fergie, that is an understatement. The pop star sang the theme song, "Labels & Love" for it and admits to OK! that it was a dream come true.

“I was thrilled to do this song,” she tells OK! “I’ve been such a huge fan for so long. My mother and I would watch it religiously.”

And how exactly did this songstress figure out the theme? “The song completely fits the personalities of the girls – it’s kind of a love triangle between love, friends and fashion,” she explains.

While the rest of us have to wait until May 30 to see the movie, Fergie didn’t hesitate to blurt out, “I saw the movie!” But it looks like the engaged star is keeping a tight lip on what happens. “I can’t say anything about it!"

The film's soundtrack hits stores May 27, the same week as the film.

Fergie's Just a Devil in a Blue Dress

Apr 24 2008 - 1:14pm Fergie got dressed up and put on her best model pout for the cover of May's Harper's Bazaar Singapore

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image