madamecleo

Does anyone read historicals?

Ok, I've read 2/3 of all the Eloisa James by now (they're somewhat uneven-some are really good and others are very superficial and not that interesting) I am totally addicted to Lauren Willig's books--read the first 3 in the past two weeks and am DESPERATELY waiting for Thursday, when the 4th book is supposed to be released :unsure:

I'm bummed Julia Quinn doesn't have anything new out.....

I have read three novels by Sarah Waters that are historical in nature. I enjoyed them quite a lot...Affinity, Fingersmith, and Tipping the Velvet. I have bought, but not yet read her newest book, The Night Watch. I hope it will prove to be as good as the others.

I would like to read them, but unfortunately, I have only seen Tipping The Velvet - I enjoyed it so much when I happened across it one night on TV, I bought the Mini Series. Worth watching as well as reading Im sure.

Oh yeah, I watched Tipping the Velvet a couple months ago--very good. Might have to look up those books!

I came back from vacation to get a voicemail that the new Lauren WIllig is waiting for me at the library :lol:

Oh yeah, I watched Tipping the Velvet a couple months ago--very good. Might have to look up those books!

I came back from vacation to get a voicemail that the new Lauren WIllig is waiting for me at the library :lol:

I just finished it last night. Are there any other authors similar to her. Light on romance, but still regency? Also, from a later period, I have been running through the Anne Perry Monk and Pitt series of mystery books. Easy and light, plus the extra creep factor of her really being a murderess!

Edited by dixiedoodah

Hmm, off the top of my head I can't think of any non-romance Regency period but I'll think some more. Most of the mysteries I read that are historical are earlier.....

The latest issue of Bookmarks (the magazine just in case you don't know) has a whole two pages dedicated to Tudor England books.....If anyone is interested you can email me your email addy and I can scan the pages and forward... I know some people here are big Tudor England Novels.....

Kayla

I just saw that Kathleen Woodiwiss has a new book out. If someone reads it, let me know what you think!

I love the library. I get lots of stuff from there and donate alot of books too. The only problem is when I am in Borders and I KNOW I have to have the book. I am not going to be on a waiting list for it. That's my problem.

I was a store manager for Borders and Barnes & Noble in a past life. Talk about a dangerous place to work! Most of my paycheck went to my book addiction.

"Everlasting" was good--I like Kathleen Woodiwiss. My all-time favorite by her is "Shanna". And speaking of pirate books, my second favorite historical romance is "The Pirate and the Pagan" by Virginia Henley. What can I say? I've got a serious jones for pirates. Rowr!

You know, I just realized the main man in both of those books is named Ruark. Strange. Maybe it's the name? ;)

Edited by GovMarley

Based on comments here, I just read the first two Eloisa James books. While I DID enjoy them, they were a little heavy on the romance and a little light on the Regency. Also, I don't know that I can like Alex. He is such an ass. Hard to reconcile him to the Alex in the next book. Do her later books focus as much on the romance (and the sex) or is there more of a balance? I mean, I'm gonna read them, because they are quick and easy and enjoyable, but just not exactly my cup of tea. That's why I preferred the Lauren Willig books. I'm too picky, I know!

Based on comments here, I just read the first two Eloisa James books. While I DID enjoy them, they were a little heavy on the romance and a little light on the Regency. Also, I don't know that I can like Alex. He is such an ass. Hard to reconcile him to the Alex in the next book. Do her later books focus as much on the romance (and the sex) or is there more of a balance? I mean, I'm gonna read them, because they are quick and easy and enjoyable, but just not exactly my cup of tea. That's why I preferred the Lauren Willig books. I'm too picky, I know!

No, after reading about 6 Eloisa James books at this point (that's an estimate without looking at my list ;) ) I'd sayd they definitely have more sex and less "regency". But what is there tends to be accurate!

Alex--you must have read Potent Pleasures? I just finished #2 in that series--Midnight Pleasures. Cute, fun, quick read. I love romances, but do tend to skim over the sex scenes, reading very quickly.....I find I'm less annoyed that way.

Hey I have been lurking and getting so many great suggestions so THANK YOU..

Also for the two book lovers that have pages and pages of books they want to buy you guys should totally check out www.paperbackswap.com

I joined about a year ago and now only buy when I strictly need a book NOW.. I list the books that are not keepers (everyone has those) and then order from other people the books I want.

THUS FAR I have not had a bad experience.

You can even say you don't want books from people that smoke, have cats etc..

Cool site and has saved me a ton of money. :wacko:

Thanks, So Jaded. I needed this website like you can't imagine!! :lol:

Oooh, I think I'm going to have to look into this!

I'm a fan of the Philippa Gregory books too. Impressed when I searched this forum and found an entire thread on the subject!

Oooh, I think I'm going to have to look into this!

I'm a fan of the Philippa Gregory books too. Impressed when I searched this forum and found an entire thread on the subject!

Dang I just lost my post.....We readers haven't been updating this forum much lately, have we? Read the new Gregory book, the White Queen, a few months back - switch to Plantagenets - it was good. My mom is reading it now or just finished - I'll have to see if she liked it. Lauren Willig has a new book out - from January 2010 - I'll have to reserve at the library. And Eloisa James & Julia Quinn, my favorite historical romance authors- both have new books out this summer. Eloisa James has a great Facebook page - she's on sabbatical this year in Paris and her updates are fabulous!

Read the White Queen, and now just finished the Red Queen. I hope Philippa Gregory does more Lancaster vs York books, am loving them. I am about to start book 9 in a Plantagenet series written by Jean Plaidy which I am thoroughly enjoying - only downside is that since the books are 30-40 yrs old my local library doesn't have them all and some have been sloooooow in getting here from other libraries in our region.

Edited by OldWiseOne

I just started Red Queen this morning and am 150 pages in so far!!!

Lauren Willig has a new book out and a new one early in 2011 scheduled. I'm so excited! Have to make that request at the library ;-)

I just started Red Queen this morning and am 150 pages in so far!!!

Just finished it this morning :)

I think I liked Red queen better than White Queen. But I did like both! I just don't know which actual queen I like better! Very lifelike (albeit fictional) portrayals!

I'm just over halfway through Elizabeth I by Margaret George now. Her book Autobiography of Henry VIIII from the mid-80s is what turned my into a history buff - esp Tudor history! It's a good book! Her last couple I didn't love - the Cleopatra book was good, Mary Magdalene & Helen of Troy I didn't enjoy so much. Now that she's back to the Tudors - I'm happy again :-)

I thought we had a mystery thread but don't see it immediately - this is relevant in both places. One of my favorite authors, Barbara Mertz, just died. http://news.msn.com/obits/best-selling-mys...?ocid=ansnews11

I just LOVE her Amelia Peabody mysteries (written as Elizabeth Peters) Turn of the century outspoken Egyptologist with a hunky & surly but brilliant husband. What's not to love?

I've heard the new series, White Queen (based on the Philippa Gregory novel) is quite good - we don't get Starz but assume I'll see it on a freebie weekend or rent/download (online streaming of full length movies isn't really possible at my house - we live in the boonies and don't have fast enough internet....)

I've heard the new series, White Queen (based on the Philippa Gregory novel) is quite good - we don't get Starz but assume I'll see it on a freebie weekend or rent/download (online streaming of full length movies isn't really possible at my house - we live in the boonies and don't have fast enough internet....)

I saw the commercial too and was disappointed when I realized I don't get Starz either. Hope they release some other way as well.

I saw the commercial too and was disappointed when I realized I don't get Starz either. Hope they release some other way as well.

The woman who recommended it to me lives on a sailboat in the British Virgin Islands and is streaming it on her computer I think, so I'm sure that it will be available somewhere, somehow.

And we *still* haven't seen the American Torchwood from Starz a couple years ago. Grr.

^ honestly you didn't miss much by missing the Starz Torchwood; it was awful to the point it has potentially killed the show. Considering how much the show had improved with the Children of Earth series, it was a weird decision. It wasn't really Torchwood.

I've got the White Queen on my TiVo box but haven't watched any, apparently you guys in the US are getting a slightly different version from us. You're getting to see more flesh, or so I read!

Edited by Wordsworth

I saw the first episode of The White Queen last night and thought it was pretty good. I plan to keep watching.

I watched it last night and liked it. I will keep watching as well. I haven't read the books yet, but now I will.

For those of you who like the Philippa Gregory books, try Elizabeth Freemantle! First book Queen's Gambit is about Katherine Parr, and I just started her new book Sisters of Treason about Katherine & Mary Grey (younger sisters of Jane Grey, the 9 day queen -and OH how I loved the movie Lady Jane- more than PRincess Bride, made me fall in love with Cary Elwes. Until I got older and realized the marriage was just for political reasons and the movie was, you know, fiction ;-)

Anyway, for Tudor english historical fiction, Elizabeth Freemantle is a lovely new author to check out!

• Like 1