Sign in to follow this  
fykeylicious

Activity trackers - anyone got one?

Hey all - I'm considering getting a fitbit or some other sort of activity tracker.

Do you use one, and what do you think of it? I'm not sure I need one but I just want one. Curious to know what people think - the reviews on amazon are iffy.

I have a FitBit and I really like it. I have the $99 one that goes on your wrist. It's been really helpful in letting me know just how sedentary I actually am! LOL It works with the FitBit app that shows you how many steps you've taken, how many active minutes, how many calories burned, distance, etc. A lot of helpful information. I've also heard that if you're tracking your food intake with certain apps (My Fitness Pal, etc.) that it will sync with the FitBit app and let you know stats on calories in and calories out. I haven't been doing that myself, but I can see where that would be really helpful as well.

One word of advice on the FitBit - don't get a band that is a color. I have the bright pink one, which I got for Christmas in the winter, and my black cotton jacket rubbed black color all over the edges of my FitBit :( So I need to get a black wrist band so clothes rubbing will no longer show up on it.

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

Oh! One more thing on the FitBit - you can add friends who also have a FitBit and it will show you how many steps they've done as well. So if you need motivation or you're competitive, you can see how much all your friends are doing too. I love that part!

• Like 1

I have a FitBit and I think it's a waste of money. I find that it is very inaccurate when it comes to recording the amount of activity and distances walked or run. I tried calibrating the device and it remains as inaccurate as ever. The interfaces also are very buggy, i.e. sometimes I only can sync the FitBit using my iPod, other times only via laptop, I only could set up the FitBit via iPod because the web-based interface did not work, etc. I find I get much better information by logging workouts in Runtastic and linking Runtastic with My Fitness Pal.

If you are a non-exerciser who wishes to become more active or just see how sedentary you are, FitBit probably is fine. If you are someone who works out regularly, in my opinion tracking your activity in Runtastic is far more accurate and more helpful. Runtastic can be used for a wide variety of physical activities, while FitBit only is useful for walking and running activities.

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback. I'm pretty active, for the most part. I do about 30 minutes of cardio a day and spend a good amount of time cleaning. Getting really lazy about doing my pilates, though.

Since I'm a SAHM now, my reason for wanting a fitbit is more to make sure that I'm up and at 'em as often as possible. Not that I sit around all day, but some days I feel more "blah" and don't feel like I move as much, apart from my treadmill time.

Also, I've reached my goal weight (yay!) BUT - I'm really good at losing weight and even better at gaining it. Very hard to maintain, in my opinion!