princess

Joan and Melissa Rivers

EOnline.com

OFF THE RED CARPET: Joan Rivers leaving her spot on E!'s red-carpet coverage team to take a new position with the TV Guide Channel. An E! spokesperson calls Rivers' walk an amicable decision.

Wow, they make it sound like Melissa Rivers will be doing E! Fashion coverage by herself!!

Looks like E! is losing both.

Joan and Melissa Rivers to Exit E!

Tuesday, June 22, 2004

By Lisa Bernhard

FOXNEWS.com

NEW YORK — Call them Red Carpet Baggers.

Folks at the TV Guide Channel are about to steal Joan and Melissa Rivers away from E!, the mother-daughter duo’s home for the past eight years. The deal, expected to be signed this afternoon, gives the twosome a combined salary of $6 – 8 million for three years – or, roughly more than $1 million each annually.

I have heard that E! is not the nicest company to work for. What a shame, they always seem to be having a good time when you see them on TV. I hear the pressure to get gossip on celebs and spill the beans is enormous. If you have celeb friends, they're always asking you to give dirt on them. What I've heard 2nd hand from two people that worked for E!

Joan is the best on the red carpet and since she has started the celebs have really pulled themselves together.I will miss her from E but like they say,anyone can be replaced.

people.comSWITCHED: Red-carpet doyennes Joan and Melissa Rivers, 71 and 36, respectively, are in talks to jump from E! Entertainment to the TV Guide Channel, say reports. The deal is worth $6 million-$8 million over three years for each Rivers. A rep for E! had no comment, but Richard Grant, a spokesman for Joan, tells New York's Daily News: "It's a little premature. Joan does not talk about deals until they are a deal."

Check the source on this one :D

CAN WE TALK?

TV Guide.com

Tag-team red carpeteers Joan and Melissa Rivers are bolting E! for a more lucrative deal at the TV Guide Channel. I can't be sure, but I think this means I can't make fun of them anymore.

Joan Rivers May E!xit E!

(Wednesday, June 23 10:07 AM)

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - E! Entertainment TV may be on the verge of losing two of its most recognizable surgically altered faces. According to media reports, Joan Rivers and doting daughter Melissa may be on the verge of ditching E! in favor of a vastly more lucrative deal with the TV Guide Channel.

Rivers has reportedly been offered between $6 million and $8 million in a three-year deal that would easily exceed the value of her current E! pact. Rivers' departure would forever alter E!'s handling of awards show coverage and put a damper on Rivers' trademark programs like "Fashion Police."

Long a respected comic and "Tonight Show" guest host, the 71-year-old Rivers has become best known for her catty and disturbingly candid comments about even the most marginal celebrities on every red carpet imaginable. Rivers has even been kind enough to invite her daughter along for the ride.

This year, more than 3.54 million viewers watched E!'s pre-show coverage of the Oscars in large part to see Rivers' reactions to the celebrity attire as well as to catch her myriad factual errors. The cable network's various Rivers-centric programs are among its most successful offerings.

The Rivers Duo would instantly become the highest profile on-air talent for the TV Guide Channel, which has a circulation of 75 million homes, short of the 84 million cable and satellite homes that receive E!

As of Wednesday (June 23), negotiations between TV Guide Channel and Rivers were close, but the move is yet to be made official.

Betcha E! is pissed.

I say good for both Rivers. If E! is such a bad employer, they should bolt.Even though I don't watch much of the fashion stuff, I think, at age 71, Joan Rivers has earned the right to bitch her heart out! B)

:D Iwon't miss Joan on the red carpet.  She really is not funny and asks dumb questions.  She needs to retire along with Larry King.

I agree. I heard she dissed so many celebs that they literally sidestepped her on the red carpet. She complained about this at the Academy Awards and said it was because the BBC gave out MMs and that is why celebs were not talking to her as much. I would side-step the viper too.

RIVERS KEEPS ROLLING ALONGJune 25, 2004 Provided by: [National Enquirer Online]After a nine-year absence, comedian Joan Rivers is back in Las Vegas for a four-night stint at the Stardust Hotel. It'll be double duty for Rivers in Sin City. She's also hosting the awards ceremony for the Stardust's Red Carpet Celebrity Slot Tournament.

Joan, Melissa Exit E!

EOnline.com

by Joal Ryan

Jun 30, 2004, 10:15 AM PT

Joan and Melissa Rivers , who kept watch over the red carpet for E! Entertainment Television for nearly a decade, have parted ways with the network, it was announced Wednesday.

The quip queen and her daughter/cohost are bound for the TV Guide Channel.

Melissa Rivers made her final E! appearance Monday during a tearful "Fashion Police" segment for E! News Live. Joan Rivers' final appearance came post-Oscars in March.

E! termed the Riverses' joint decision to leave as amicable.

"We will miss their humor and spirited outlook on the worlds of entertainment and fashion, and wish them all the best of luck and success in their new endeavors," Mark Sonnenberg, executive vice president of entertainment for E! Networks, said in a statement. (E! Online is a division of E! Networks.)

No immediate word on who will replace the tandem for E!

Although terms of the Riverses' new pact with the TV Guide Channel were not disclosed, various published reports put the value between $6 million and $8 million over three years.

"No one can match their incisive commentary, biting humor and inside knowledge of Hollywood," Ian Aaron, president of the TV Guide Television Group, said of Rivers and her daughter.

Currently, the TV Guide Channel offers a mixed of canned celebrity interviews, canned event coverage and scrolling TV listings. In nabbing Team Rivers, it appears committed to duplicating the sort of work that they pioneered on E!

In a statement, Joan Rivers said the prospect of building "another beginning" appealed to her.

"I helped launched the Fox network, joined E! early on and was able to work with my daughter, Melissa, and now, the two of us have joined forces, once again, to help propel TV Guide Channel to a new level," Rivers said. "It couldn't be better."

Joan and Melissa Rivers debuted on E! in 1996, back when there was no such thing as a awards-show "pre-show." Sonnenberg praised the duo for "playing a key role in developing E!'s Live from the Red Carpet into one of the most recognizable and popular television franchises in the world today."

For E!, the two camped out the major award events, armed with questions and wisecracks. Celebrities weren't safe after the red carpets were rolled away. Joan and Melissa hosted Fashion Police specials for E!, dishing on the best and worst designer duds they witnessed from the front lines.

Joan Rivers, 71, came to E! after salvaging her career from the wreckage of the late 1980s, following the cancellation of her much-hyped Fox talk show, the suicide of her husband/manager, Edgar Rosenberg, and her exile from the late-night TV scene.

Rivers, once the permanent guest host on the Johnny Carson-era Tonight Show, moved on to game shows (occupying center square in the 1980s version of Hollywood Squares), Broadway (Neil Simon's Broadway Bound), daytime TV (hosting an Emmy-winning 1989-93 talk show), and fashion- and jewelry-designing, before taking her act to E!

Prior to sharing red-carpet space on E!, Joan and Melissa Rivers costarred together in the 1994 TV movie, Tears and Laughter: The Joan and Melissa Rivers Story, about their estrangement following Rosenberg's death.

E! Departure May Yield Rivers-Free Emmys

(Thursday, July 22 10:25 AM)

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) This is one of those moments that makes you wonder if it's even worth living until September at all. Joan and Melissa Rivers will, reportedly, be missing this year's Emmy Red Carpet.

Earlier this summer, Team Rivers bolted from its longtime residence on E! to shinier and more lucrative digs on the TV Guide Channel. The move was fueled by the fact that TV Guide Channel, eager to provide viewers with more original content, offered to pay Joan and Melissa Rivers $6 million over the next three years.

The problem is that fans of both Rivers women love their catty red carpet commentary and E! has an exclusive deal with the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences to make it the only cable venue on the carpet. The deal carries through 2005, which means that viewers may have to handle two consecutive Emmy Awards without the immediate gratification of being advised as to which celebrities looked the best.

According to The LA Times, which is mourning this development, TV Guide knew about E!'s contract, but hoped to find a way around it somehow.

"We find it puzzling that the academy would strike a deal that limits the promotion of their flagship event and deprives fans of Joan and Melissa, the two personalities that personify the red carpet and that viewers tune in to see," says TV Guide spokesperson Chris Levesque.

As of now, TV Guide has no plans to cover the Emmys, which will air on ABC on Sept. 19, this year.

Rivers Flows to Court TV Gig

(Friday, August 06 08:34 AM)

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) You may not be seeing Joan Rivers on the Red Carpet at the Emmys this year, but those craving more of the perpetually redecorated comic can turn to the most unlikely of cable sources. Rivers has joined Court TV's "Hollywood Heat."

The "Spaceballs" co-star made her first appearance on the A.J. Hammer-hosted celebrity newsmagazine on Thursday (Aug. 5) night.

Rivers will contribute a segment titled "Joan Rivers -- The Dismissed Juror," taking to the streets to poll common folks about their feelings on the various celebrity trials of the moment. Perhaps she can also critique the way average people dress and insult them. That would be hilarious.

Early this summer, Rivers packed up daughter Melissa and fled E! for the more lucrative climate of the TV Guide Channel. However, that decision will prevent viewers at home from finding out Rivers' thoughts on the Emmy Red Carpet fashions. E! has an exclusive deal as the only cable network allowed on the carpet, meaning that Rivers could be trapped watching the dresses and tuxes on television like the rest of us.

"Hollywood Heat" airs at 11:30 p.m. ET on Thursdays.

JOAN RIVERS BOMBS AT GIG Page SixJOAN Rivers never met a group she wouldn't offend. And as she's always top ical, the plastic surgery princess took on New York's recent terror alert first at her gig at Fez last week, showing no love for the threatened Citigroup build ing. "I hope it goes down. It's so ugly!" she said to gasps and groans. "I'm helping them load them (bombs) in." Later she joked, "Jewish women will never be terrorists. 'Does the bomb make me look fat?' . . . A Jewish woman will never put a bomb in a Gucci bag, after all the men she bleeped to get it." Rivers, sporting a scruffy fur around her neck that she said was her late dog Spike, later de fended her tasteless humor: "We live in horrible real ity. How else can you get through it, if not with jokes? You have to laugh about it." Earlier in the evening, Rivers was gleefully loading up a bag at the Shop, Etc. magazine launch party. "I got all this for free," she told us.

Posted Image

Puss Galore

EOnline.com

Did Melissa Rivers get punched in the pucker, or just pay a visit to one of mommy Joan's plastic surgeons? Maybe we'll see Melissa on a upcoming Nip/Tuck episode about inherited low self-esteem. Whatever those huge swollen lips say, her terminally trendy getup at the Hollywood National Foster Care fundraiser--stovepipe jeans, slouchy witch hat and a Total Poser tee--is clearly a cry for help.

Hum... now that she's no longer with E!, she's a fashion victim....

Rivers Women Gush Back Onto Red Carpet

(Wednesday, December 08 09:03 AM)

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) The nation may still be at war. Baseball may still be embroiled in a steroid scandal. "National Treasure" may still be the most popular movie in America. Fortunately, at least one of our national nightmares is over.

They're back.

After being frozen off of the Emmy red carpet this fall, Joan and Melissa Rivers will return this January to critique fashions and set the scene for the TV Guide Channel at the 62nd Annual Golden Globes. The grand comeback will air on Sunday, Jan. 16 from the Beverly Hilton Hotel.

"Just when everyone thought it was safe on the red carpet ... we're baacckk!" Joan and Melissa Rivers say in a typically restrained joint statement.

Team Rivers departed E! this summer, lured by a lucrative contract offer from TV Guide Channel, which has been desperate to lure viewers with the promise of original content. However, because of E!'s exclusive red carpet deal with the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, no other cable venues could get access to the celebrities, many of whom actively bemoaned Melissa and Joan's absence.

On Emmy night, viewers were left woefully unaware of which celebrities were well dressed and which stars just looked like tramps. There will be no such fashion crisis for the Golden Globes.

"Joan and Melissa are Hollywood's most iconic fashion critics, and they are back where they belong -- on the red carpet!" says TV Guide Channel General Manager Tom Cosgrove. "Audiences look forward to hearing their honest, witty, and hilarious critiques of red-carpet fashion and now their millions of fans can sleep well knowing the new year will get off to a more colorful start with Joan and Melissa's tell-it-like-it-is commentary. TV fans can also look forward to a few fun surprises, including interacting with Joan and Melissa in real-time, and weighing in on their picks and pans."

Meanwhile, Star Jones Reynolds, who replaced the Rivers women for E!'s Emmy coverage, will be back on the carpet for the Golden Globes.

"Star's dynamic personality, sharp wit, and fashion sense combined with her strong connection to the Hollywood community allowed her to truly own the red carpet as host of E!'s live pre-show Emmy coverage in September," says E! President Ted Harbert. "We're thrilled to invite her back as host for our 'Live from the Red Carpet at the Golden Globes' this January."

people.com

MONDAY, DEC. 20:

Want to relive Ashlee Simpson's Milli Vanilli moment? Or tear up again over a clip from the Friends finale? You can revisit the year's TV highlights on TV Guide: Greatest Moments 2004, airing on ABC at XX p.m. Chiming in with their two cents are Joan and Melissa Rivers, who've abandoned their E! thrones to jump over to the TV Guide Channel. The mother-daughter team will dish on the years highlights and lowlights. The special will also feature the TV Guide Awards with categories including favorite newcomer (Desperate Housewives' Eva Longoria will compete with Veronica Mars's Kristen Bell) and favorite reality star.

JOAN POLISHES GLOBES SCALPELPage SixBRUTALLY bitchy Joan Rivers - who will be back on the red carpet with daughter Melissa at the Golden Globes next weekend - gave TV Guide a little preview of what to expect.Asked for their views on red-carpet regulars, Joan (right) kicks off by taking aim at scruffy Russell Crowe: "When his limo arrives, you can smell him in advance," she says. "He needs to be told that you can take a bath and still be butch."Joan, who will be seen on the TV Guide Channel, also reveals that Kevin Costner is not talking to her any more after she derided the measly engagement ring he gave his wife, Christine Baumgartner. "When I saw her ring I said, 'Is this a joke?' She really should be indebted to me. Because of that remark, she got a wonderful ring."Also ignoring the Rivers mother-and-daughter duo is Annette Bening who simply won't give them the time of day. "[she] just waltzes through - very grand - doesn't stop, with this smile on her face like, 'I smell [bleep],'" says Joan.Getting philosophical, the comic said, "You really get to see the arc of careers. When 'The Golden Girls' was on, if you could get Bea Arthur, it was amazing. Now everyone goes, 'Isn't that nice? She's still alive, but look, there's James Gandolfini.'"Joan is not shy about taking shots at herself, either. She cracked, "I'll still be recovering from plastic surgery, that's a given. So I'll be groggy from the anesthesia."Rivers attributes her success with viewers to the fact that, "If they don't like me, they like Melissa. She brings in the under-40s. To the 80-year-olds, I'm a hottie - I bring in the demographics for erectile dysfunction ads and Depends."When it comes to the "skinnie minnies" of showbiz, Joan says of Calista Flockhart and Lara Flynn Boyle, "From the front, gorgeous, but from the back, it was chicken shoulders."The difference between mother and daughter is perhaps best illustrated when writer David A. Keeps asked what they thought of the Olsen twins. Melissa says they are "the smartest two women in show business." Joan, however, tags them "the luckiest two midgets in show business."We know who gets PAGE SIX's vote.

Geez, let's see: choosing between watching that freaky surgically-altered mother-daughter team of Joan and Melissa, or that schmoozing beard Star on E! Isn't that like choosing between cyanide and arsenic? -_-

Edited by RedandBlue