HoneyBunny

TV shows that you USED to watch

I've noticed that there are quite a few shows that I don't watch anymore. Is there less quality in production & writing or have my tastes just changed? Is it just me or are there others noticing that TV sucks more than ever....

Monk-after Sharona left, so did I. Can't stand Natalie

Nip/Tuck-I loved this show but once they moved to to Los Angeles and started doing a "show within a show" and they started making Julian/Christian sleep with Rosie O"Donnel, well I was done...

Weeds-once Nancy burned her house down & they left Agrestic, I left

Grey's Anatomy-do I have to go into detail...

Dirty,Sexy,Money-the strike helped to kill my excitement and then they wrote off some characters who I barely got to know and I got frustrated & bored

Big Brother-they just got way stupid with super obnxious casts

The L Word- killed Dana, Jenny works in movies, they burned Shane's shop down & ruined her love life-again, Tina goes straight, Kit does NOTHING, all the new characters are psycho-bitches, I'm not even a lesbian and I'm offended

LOST-as a viewer, I got lost in the confusing plot

Smallville-once they introduced Lois Lane, I left

Desperate Housewives-the time travel 5-yr plot jump stunt was too little too late for me

Brothers & Sisters-the borderline incest plotline creeped me out and even though the writers fixed it, I'm pissed that I got played as a viewer for the 1st 2 years, so who is the damn bastard of that whiny upper middle class family anyway?

Prison Break-I stopped watching a while ago, are they out yet?

Fairly OddParents- that damn baby Poof destroyed everything

The Simpsons-movie was great but please retire the show already!!!!!

South Park-they are hit or miss, and the misses are really boring or just gross stupid

Family Guy-read South Park's criticism above

True Blood-not enough fun juicy sexy vampire action, too much usual human drama with heavy on the murdered woman every epsiode, YUCK! If I were into that, I'd watch CSI, no thanks

Whew! Those are the ones I can remember. After all, I don't watch these anymore so I had to really think about this list. Anybody have shows they want to add? Any shows they still watch and think have gotten better? Anybody agree with me?

Edited by HoneyBunny

Great thread! :)

Shows I don't watch anymore:

Desperate Housewives - gave up on it in S2 I think. Too much silliness from the gals. I have been tuning in this season a bit mainly just to see my guy Gale Harold.

Nip/Tuck - they lost me with the move to LA. They've always been over the top, but the show just got obnoxious.

Monk - gave up a couple of seasons ago. Same old thing every episode.

Smallville - didn't like Lois Lane. Hated Lana. And Clark still can't FLY? Give me a frackin' break.

Pushing Daisies - too cute for me. Same thing every episode.

Eil Stone - gave up on when that cutesy lawyer was introduced. Uggh.

Boston Legal - mainly because I didn't have time to watch anymore I got annoyed with some of the shows. I will watch the finale though to say a proper goodbye.

My Name is Earl - got bored with it.

Prison Break - this would have been great as a one off series. It should have ended with season 1. It just got too silly for me.

A show that has gotten better this season:

Supernatural - I think this is season 4 and it's firing on all cylinders. Really good.

Shows I'm losing patience with:

Samantha Who - not loving it as much as I once did

Fringe - I watch the show every week and then ask myself why I just wasted an hour doing so. Dour leading lady, not much plot development (last week's ep was an exception). I'm not sure why I'm still watching.

Bones - hated the whole plot development last season with Zack. Hate the rotating "assistants". Hate that they broke up Angela and Jack. Don't like Dr. Sweets. And please, just get Bones and Booth together already!!

The Amazing Race - they are coming off a really weak season and I hope the next season will be better. I can't believe I'd ever say I was bored during TAR, but I was. Often.

American Idol - bored with Paula. Hate Paula. Paula is an idiot.

Sanctuary - getting bored with it. Really don't like the fake british accent Amanda Tapping is sporting.

Ghost Whisperer - I really, really, really don't like that they killed Jim. And had him come back in a ugly man's body. I might be done with this show.

Shows I'm glad I stuck with through the bad times:

Lost - yes there were some moments where I almost gave up on it, but it got better. Way better.

Why I love TV (and not afraid to admit it):

Doctor Who, Torchwood, Lost, Life, Psych, 24, Masterpiece (PBS), Celebrity Rehab (I'm not ashamed to admit that I LOVE this show), Chuck, True Blood, Skins, Gavin & Stacey, Dexter, Big Love, and many others that aren't coming to mind at the moment.

Fun thread! Good idea, HoneyBunny

My Losers and Snoozers list:

LOSERS

My Name is Earl - This show made me laugh out loud till they did the jail season. Left it and never came back.

The Amazing Race - The editing is so jumpy in the beginning that I can't get a handle on the teams, so it's not entertaining. And now it's become too formulaic with the teams they choose: token older couple team; token gay couple team; token hot babe team; token parent and child team, etc., etc.

Trading Spaces - How I loved that home improvement show. But now, stick a fork in it, it's done. Been done for over a year.

SNOOZERS

Ugly Betty - Did it even have a season finale? I can't even recall the last episode. Boring.

Desperate Housewives - I can take it or leave it this season, but I'm still sort of hooked on the characters and their stories.

And a guilty pleasure:

Real Housewives of the OC (or NY, or Atlanta) - Silicone marries wealthy; dollar store meets new money... I gleefully love to hate this show.

And finally, I'm sad to say farewell to The Shield. Best cop show ever.

Shows that I no longer watch

90210- Watched a couple of episodes out of curiosity...then lost

interest. Annalynne McCord is very cute though...

Heroes- First season was decent;went downhill after that.

24 -Seasons 1-3 were excellent;became predictable and dull

after that.

Edited by MontrealExpos

Used to watch:

Law & Order SVU -- Quit because the writing became so unspeakably bad. I generally like the cast, but the writing makes me cringe.

Quit watching for a while but now I am back:

Law & Order, original flavor -- I really like the new cast, especially Linus Roache.

Will keep watching through thick and thin:

Law & Order CI -- I watch this for Vincent D'Onofrio, although Kathryn Irbe is great, too, and I thought Chris Noth developed his character well. Camera work has become much more interesting, too.

Also watch:

House -- for House and Wilson; their characters and interaction more than compensate for "same story every week" syndrome.

Psych -- The first season, we watched just because it was on after "Monk." The writing really improved in the the second season, although I have to say I thought both the Psych and Monk holiday episodes last week were stilted and lame.

Monk -- I watch this because so much of it resembles real life for me, and I need to be able to laugh at the awkward situations.

South Park -- Stress release, straight up. Some recent episodes have been rather poor and pointless, though.

Great thread! :)

Why I love TV (and not afraid to admit it):

Doctor Who, Torchwood, Lost, Life, Psych, 24, Masterpiece (PBS), Celebrity Rehab (I'm not ashamed to admit that I LOVE this show), Chuck, True Blood, Skins, Gavin & Stacey, Dexter, Big Love, and many others that aren't coming to mind at the moment.

THis could be a great thread in itself! ;)

My favorites:

(the reruns that I watch on TV whenever I'm sick or taking a break at home & I've spent way too much money buying DVDs)-Roseanne, Seinfeld, Everybody Loves Raymond, classic Simpsons, Futurama, Bugs Bunny, Home Movies, I Love Lucy, Dynasty, Dallas, Highlander, Moonlighting, Remington Steele, The Sopranos, Sex & The City, Perfect Strangers, Spin City, Xena, Buffy, Angel, Cowboy Bebop, Full Metal Alchemist, Freakazoid!, SOAP, Bewitched, Charmed, Cybill, Melrose Place, Alias, My So Called Life, Project Runway, Top Chef, Survivor, Iron Chef, Jon Stewart, The Colbert Report....whew! Yeah, I may complain sometimes but I do it out of love. I am definitely a TV addict. :D

OH- forgot another show I USED to love but really turned crappy in my eyes, I think it still comes on but I don't care when...Rescue Me- excellent drama that stayed around way too long and the characters just became abrasive & pathetic, I read once that Denis Leary wanted all the major cast members of his fire house to die while fighting a random fire. It would have been a great proper death for his characters instead of the weird, sad, emabarassing ends that some have endured, basically when Gina Gershon (?) showed up and became the Gavin character's f#@K buddy, I left -_-

Edited by HoneyBunny

I've pretty much entirely given up on Fringe. Haven't watched it in weeks - Cydonia's post made me feel better about that decision, since I doubt I'll have the time to watch all the back episodes online.

I can't believe I forgot Heroes! Season one was good (except for the awful season finale) and then it went all wrong. Season 2 was dreadful, so bad I didn't bother to watch season 3 but from what I read I made the right decision.

Lost, Fringe, Heroes, Dirty Sexy Money, Crusoe, Desperate Housewives, Brothers and Sisters, Dancing with the Stars. I'll probably not bother with American Idol when it comes back on---it too has jumped the shark.

HoneyBunny, we have very similar tv viewing habits. Many of the shows you've given up on, I have too and for many of the same reasons. I also love most of the shows you watch. ;)

shows I don't watch anymore

Lost: got too contrived

Battlestar Galactica: got too different from the Original series. Lost interest.

Boston Legal: good for an occasional laugh. Sometimes It's on the tv at my gym.

Desparate housewives. I thought it was funny at first, but then they tried to get serious

Heroes: lost interest

Smallville: They have done everything and anything to keep that show going, but there are only so many stories you can do about a young clark kent. Lois Lane is hot, but but T&A isn't enough to keep me watching TV.

I gave up on Desperate Housewives, Greys Anatomy, ER- that show should have been off the air 5 years ago, all the CSI's- they just overdid it with too many of them !!

Last week, I deleted this season of Greys Anatomy and Pushing Daisies I had recorded on my dvr--I haven't watched them or even wanted to watch them in 3-4 months, so why take up the hard drive space?

I've been spotty on my ER viewing the past 3 years, but this season is really good, so I'm glad I'm watching it again. It's nice that they're giving it a strong send off, a bang instead of a whimper, as it were :4biggrin:

Edited by Hoyaheel

I gave up on Bones. I was too annoyed after the whole Zach thing and I hated the whole Angela/Hodges break-up as well(mostly the reasons for it). The show is nothing like it used to be, I barely recognized Booth by the end of my viewing experience and I got really really sick of the damn anvils regarding Booth&Brennan.

I have given up on:

Prison Break: Wentworth is a hottie but the story lines got SO unbelievable and dumb.

Fringe: Good concept but something about it couldn't keep my attention

90210: Can't stand the main girl (Annie?) - her acting is terrible

Heroes: I got so lost with what was going on, who was good, who was bad, etc.

Yeah, I watched the first couple of episodes of 90210 and then had the next five on my DVR forever before I finally figured I may as well give up and delete them.

I also loved The L Word, but I have had season 5 on dvd from netflix for a month or two and still haven't watched them, so I guess I wasn't as excited as I thought.

I watched ER for the first few years, then lost interest (despite the gorgeousness that is Goran Visnjic)

Shows I've stopped watching:

Desperate Housewives: Liked the first season and should have given up after that but I suffered through the second season hoping it would get better but it didn't. I recorded a few episodes of season three but couldn't get through them and deleted the show from my DVR.

Grey's Anatomy: Loved the first season and most of the second but I never liked Denny or his storyline. Seasons three and four were awful (and have blended together in my mind) but I still watched until the current season out of loyalty to the first two seasons. Once they brought Denny back from the dead I was done.

Smallville: Like others, once they brought in Lois Lane I was done.

Nip/Tuck: I stopped watching a while ago. It got too crazy for me.

The Simpsons: I used to love it but then it stopped being funny.

Law & Order: I almost stopped watching two seasons ago but I decided to give last season a shot and liked Green and Lupo as a team so I continued to watch but I didn't like the new guy so I stopped.

Law & Order: SVU: It just got way too dramatic. It seems like they're trying too hard to give the actors (especially Mariska Hegarty) scripts that will win them emmys but instead or cheesy and over the top.

Samantha Who: Liked the first season but the second one just bored me.

Shows I'm contemplating giving up on:

Bones: The Zach thing last season was terrible and I feel like the characters have become too cartoonish. They're extremes of how they started out.

The Office: This season and last haven't been that funny (I hate any storyline involving Jan). I loved Amy Ryan and the storylines involving her character but I feel like the series in gerneral has become too couples centric instead of about the office dynamics. Jim and Pam are cute but for the most part I don't think they're funny (although they have their moments) and I watch the show for the humor.

Heroes: Season one was good but since then it's lost its way. The only reason I haven't given up on this show is my boyfriend watches it. Now that Brian Fuller is coming back (the person responsible for the first half of the first season which in my opinion are the best episodes of the series) I'll continue to watch to see if it gets better.

90210: Only watching it to see Brenda because I didn't get closure during the original series. Once her storyline is done I'll stop. The main character, Annie, is so annoying.

Reasons I watch television:

House, Gossip Girl (I know, it's terrible), The Real Housewives of (Orange County, New York, Atlanta), reruns of Law & Order (they're great background noise), Family Guy.

My supplemental list of added disappointments that I just can't watch anymore:

The Apprentice- I'm ashamed I even tried to watch this season...

America's Next Top Model- somebody/anybody PLEASE put this warped "Mean Girls" infantile beauty contest out of business!

SpongeBob- all those new "special" episodes with voice guest stars & time travel story arcs remind me of Flintstones reruns.....BAD Flintstones reruns. Remember when Ann MargRock/Ann Margaret guest starred as Pebbles' babysitter? Good Lord! :D

Best Week Ever- a cute VH1 series that used to be fast & funny but they started cutting down on the use of comics/hosts and now, it's just not that good anymore

Real Time With Bill Maher-This is a special case. I think this show may still be interesting BUT now that Barack Obama is in office, I'm just so tired of listening to the same old mouth foaming pundits & divisive diatribes & sycophant politicians...so I don't watch anymore.

PEACE :hellowave:

Real Time With Bill Maher-This is a special case. I think this show may still be interesting BUT now that Barack Obama is in office, I'm just so tired of listening to the same old mouth foaming pundits & divisive diatribes & sycophant politicians...so I don't watch anymore.

I'm so with you on this. I try to tune in, but I can't listen much. I did enjoy his Ron Howard show, but other than that, it is waaaay too much of the same. I loved it when he would at least pretend to listen to the conservative slant.

I've given up:

Bones - enough. Done with it. Too cute for it's own good these days.

Real Time with Bill Maher - this is the first season I haven't watched. I first stopped watching b/c for some reason the sound is always low (I have DISH) and it was hard to hear. After a few weeks, I realized that I didn't miss it.

American Idol, Dancing with the Stars: both have seriously jumped the shark. I'll admit though that I like Simon Cowell.

I dvr a great many shows and for the most part, once I hear a new show has not been picked up I drop the show like a hot potato. No sense in spending my time watching a show that is going nowhere. Dirty Sexy Money, Sarah Connor Chronicles are recent shows I can think of. There are two others I like a lot that are not coming back: Harper's Island (which was only set up as a 13 episode show initially anyway so I did not expect more) and Kings starring Ian McShane, an actor I've liked for quite some time. So much for network tv trying to compete with cable if they couldn't wait to dump Kings :tantrum: At this rate, network tv is going to either be only soaps, talk shows, game shows, news shows, and reality shows or it will disappear due to lack of interest.

Edited by Hihomumio

Any TV show by JJ Abrams. I really cant stand the way he shocks viewers with something you never expected and then tries to justify it later on. I didn't watch Felicity much, but this was used in Alias constantly and it is a tool continually used in Lost which I haven't watched since Season 1. If this is where TV is going, it's no wonder I don't watch it much.

True blood: Could be interesting since there is no hero and villain on this show, but this season's storyline was a two part show that they decided to expand into an entire season In my opinion. On this show, it's the other characters who hold my interest, not the main stars so much.

Hung: Not a very funny comedy or a drama. I doubt I'll keep watching it next season.

Seasons 1 & 2 of "Dancing With the Stars." Now, I can't tell the "stars" from the dancers. Or the differentiate the dancers from each other, now that most have gone frosted blonde.

"CSI." So many cast changes, it's like a new show and kind of boring.

"Ugly Betty." Just got dull; no good story lines.